Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GNU GNOTES  (Read 22872 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE GNU GNOTES
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2005, 07:08:25 PM »

Danise I was pleasantly surprised how friendly people were on the subway.  Also don't hesitate to ask for help.  I had people walk with me until they were sure I was going in the right direction.  

They were also sure they had completely rifled through your purse whilst asking you if you had ever been to the Empire State Building?   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2005, 07:10:19 PM »

Keith just discovered my 23nd great grandfather Henry de Redman.  In 1195 he is recorded as being fined 80 pounds, a considerable amount at the time, for joining in the rebellion of Prince John against his brother Richard I, while the king was away at the Crusades.  Yes, think Robin Hood.  Later Prince John, after becoming King John, made him a knight and he became Sir Henry.  Is that cool or what! :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 07:15:37 PM by Jane »

Danise

« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2005, 07:11:22 PM »

JMK, Is that before or after they try to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2005, 07:12:44 PM »

Wow, Jane!  Or should I say, LADY Jane.  That is cool!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2005, 07:16:10 PM »

Julieanne and I started a new walking regimen today (her on the advice of her doctor...the car accident has aggravate some back old back injuries and caused some new ones)...We walk fromour house in the hills down to Sunset and the Arclight to see Clint Eastwood's new movie...which I was supposed to get in free on my WGA card, but their only honouring the card on week days (it must be individual studio policy because we could have gotten in to see the Aviator...but had no desire to), so we went over to Amoeba...bought a bunch of DVDs, couple Eddie Izzard shows, The Susannah York/George C. Scott JANE EYRE, THE STRANGER with Orson Welles, Eugene O'Neill's BEYOND THE HORIZON, A Michael Caine film A SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM, several more...most of this lot except for the play and the Izzard stuff was between a $1.98 and $4.99.  We also picked up THE FROGS CD.  Then we walked back.  All told, probably about 6miles.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 07:16:41 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2005, 07:17:12 PM »

Yes, from now on you must call me Lady Jane. ;D  

Jane

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2005, 07:20:15 PM »

Is Julieanne also in PT?  I have exercises for my back I do almost every day.  Still I find nothing is better than walking.  I hope it helps.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »

Jane what is PT?

BK, I hope you're watching On Guard (or Le Boussou, if you prefer)...

Danise

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2005, 07:27:26 PM »

Well, that explains the fancy shower.  Can't have water hit you on the head like the rest of us peasants.  ::)  ;)

Yes, walking is very good for you.  When Mom isn't with me, I park in the back forty of a stores parking lot for the exersize.  I also get off the bus at least 5 blocks before I have to and walk the rest of the way to work.  That is, weather permiting.  I don't do that if it's pouring down rain.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2005, 07:28:33 PM »

Sorry Charles, physical therapy.  I was multi-tasking and rushed.

Aren’t you a history buff?  I thought you might have an "interesting" comment on my newly found relation. ;D

Danise

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2005, 07:30:25 PM »

I feel myself starting to wuss.  Hate to say it but I think I say say good (k)night to one and all.  Have a good evening.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2005, 07:31:30 PM »

Danise, LOL except the "shower experience" was the idea of my peon husband. ;D

Jane

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2005, 07:41:56 PM »

Hisaka you must be reading and catching up.  Sorry I have to leave before we can chat.  I do enjoy your posts and beautiful roses.

I spy elmore-'night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2005, 07:45:59 PM »

Also I am going to ride a subway.  I would like it very much if someone would go with me the first time.  I don't care where we go.   Would anyone mind going with me or allowing me to tag along with you?

DRDanise, I will ride the subway with you.  We should plan something fun to do involving the trains.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »

Howdy!  I'm back from seeing IN GOOD COMPANY with my goddaughter.  I liked the movie a lot, but I think Charlotte expected more of a romantic comedy.
And now, I'm about ready to crash.  It's been a long day (a Loesser reference!).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2005, 07:58:45 PM »

There's a fabulous Trevor Nunn film called Lady Jane that I highly recommend.  As history, it's bunk, but for spectacle and romanticized history, it's great.  Plus, it has a magnificent score by the died-way-too-young Stephen ("Blondel") Oliver.

Jane, on my mother's side I am related to the Schellenbergs (lots of variant spellings--her maiden name was actually Shallenberger), who fought the Hapsburgs in the 14th century to create the Swiss Confederacy.  My ancestors were the Magisters (or something like that) of the Canton of Uri where Zurich is.  There's a little town called Shallenberg right on the Swiss/Austrian border and we were treated like royalty when we stayed there one night (of course my Mother did not hesitate to sign in at the hotel with her maiden name LOL).  I got a totally cool family tree from my Aunt that traces everything back to the mid 1200s.  It's especially amazing since we know next to nothing about my father's side of the family.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 07:59:51 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2005, 08:07:26 PM »

JMK-fun isn't it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

I'm telling you, I'm only watching la cinema Francaise from now on.  Sadly, they've put the US to shame, movie-wise.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2005, 08:09:09 PM »

We still have the issue of to sweets or not to sweets.  I'm thinking to.

td

• td
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2005, 08:15:53 PM »

Td will you post an adult photo of Dixie Bell?

Happily, but she's only twelve weeks old right now.  .  . are you sure you want me to wait TWELVE MONTHS? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jed

« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2005, 08:22:45 PM »

I'm not sure that's correct, Jed.  What I understood is you have your choice--either a new DVD or the $7.10.  Look at the actual filing of the plaintiff's complaint on the site.

Didn't sound right to me, either, but reading the language of the suit, it looks like you can exchange your current DVD for either a new one or $7.10.  Perhaps I misread again...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »

I just finished watching "Enterprise" and I didn't know that it was a multi-parter, either.  Actually, haven't all the episodes this season been muli-part episodes?  I also thought that it "looked" different than previous episodes...the lighting, the film/video tape, maybe.  I don't know if the director is new or if he (it was a man, wasn't it?) was just trying something different, but it reminded me a little bit of the look of "Battlestar Galactica."

Since I have been watching in high definition, I hadn't noticed anything different about the look of the show, but maybe there was something.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »

DR LADY Jane - one must also think of IVANHOE when one thinks about you from now on.    ;D

As for Dixie Bell, this is the photo which will be hung next to Minx' portrait:

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »

I watched the delightful HOME ON THE RANGE today. Another Disney animated feature that was unfairly neglected because it wasn't computer animation. I found it lots of fun, and there are several Alan Menken songs in the movie that are tuneful and just perfect for the western motif. And great character voices: Roseanne, Judi Dench, Randy Quaid, Jennifer Tilly, Steve Buscemi, Cuba Gooding, Jr.

Jed

« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2005, 08:30:14 PM »

Taken from http://mgmdvdsettlement.com/notice.pdf

A. Class Members have the right to return to the Claims Administrator one copy of each DVD title manufactured by or
on behalf of MGM which was created for a film shot in the aspect ratio of 1.85 to 1 or 1.66 to 1 (“Eligible DVD”) for either (1) a new
MGM DVD from a list of 325 titles or (2) a cash refund of $7.10.

td

• td
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2005, 08:34:43 PM »

I too find HOME ON THE RANGE to be highly underrated!
Love Bonnie Raitt's performance (and the surrounding animation) of "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?" and kd lang's "Little Patch of Heaven."  Both songs are indeed standard worthy, as is Menken's "Sailing On," which has just been granted new life on Nancy LaMott's Live at the Tavern on the Green cd.

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2005, 08:44:51 PM »

Yes, thanks for mentioning the vocal singing talent. I thought all of their renditions were really excellent. Played the song sequences back again because I liked them so much. I had no idea when I got the DVD that there were ANY songs in it, much less songs written by Alan Menken.

td

• td
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2005, 08:46:15 PM »

I have at least THIRTY of the MGM titles, but, quite a few of those are films which will probably not see another dvd release in the near future, i.e., EQUUS, THE DECAMERON, WOMEN IN LOVE, SPETTERS.

td

• td
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2005, 08:47:39 PM »

Yes, thanks for mentioning the vocal singing talent. I thought all of their renditions were really excellent. Played the song sequences back again because I liked them so much. I had no idea when I got the DVD that there were ANY songs in it, much less songs written by Alan Menken.

If you stick it out through the closing credits, you get to hear Alan Menken sing, too.

Jed

« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2005, 09:15:27 PM »

...lull...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up