Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC  (Read 4763 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »

Stage One at WDS has already been named the Annette Funicello Stage....and now the Sherman Bros. get one....it's about time!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ChasSmith

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »

Every time I have some soup that I like, I ask myself, "Self, why don't you have soup MUCH more often than you do?"...and I never get a really good answer.

I was fed plenty of (canned) soup as a kid, and I liked it for the most part even though I wouldn't have said then that soup itself was a favorite food. It was probably all Campbell's, the regular ones being tomato, chicken noodle, cream of chicken (my favorite then, for the richer flavor), and I think beef vegetable. Probably a couple of others, but I don't remember. In later years when I was on my own, it was still Campbell's, but I gravitated to the bean, pea, cream of asparagus, and wasn't there a cheddar cheese thing? I also began making some of these with milk instead of water, for the richness. The tomato soup, especially, became an essential accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwiches.

Later still, I "discovered" Progresso soups, and after that, some of the dry mixes from various companies. I liked all of these, but...fast-forwarding to the present, I still like them on occasion but I am now ultra-aware of the incredible amounts of sodium in this kind of prepared food, to the point that after enjoying a bowl of any of these soups, I can taste the "burn" of the sodium in my mouth until, quite literally, I do a good tooth brushing. So, with a twinge of regret, I do take it easy on eating this kind of thing.

I did eventually get to the point of having the occasional soup when eating out, whether at a coffee shop or diner or some better restaurant, and I nearly always really like them. But none of us here ever think of making our own soups at home. And we should. The only exception is Nathan making a wonderful turkey soup with the Thanksgiving leftovers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »

Dedication day with former Mouseketeers and some of Annette's family...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »

Even Felon Mouseketeer Darlene showed up - in the nice red blouse in the second row.....

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »

They have certainly picked the top couple of winners to name those two stages after.

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Richard and I went to Cincinnati last night to hear our friend Rick play the carillon and visited with him for a bit afterwards.  I slept 'til 8:15 this morning, which is quite late for me.  Gearing up for grocery shopping...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »

Continued vibes for DR TCB's niece...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »

Congrats to DR CHAS SMITH on ANNIE success...that show is a crowd pleaser.

DR JOHN G....I might have played it better with a cane....then FDR could have danced with Annie.

Exactly. The polio Waltz.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »

I don’t really like canned soups much because of all of the carbs added. Sugar, flour or potatoes seem to appear in way too many. I’ll use Better Than Bouillon, which has plenty of options, and use it as a starter to make my own.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 09:29:34 AM »

Loved the Wanda Richert video.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »

I've spent the morning making more literary agent submissions.  And now back to Frank Loesser.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »

DNA testing for the accident will take six weeks, so a visitation and memorial will be Wednesday in Indy......so we'll be there.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »

I've been up since eleven - eight hours of sleep.  Answering e-mails and having anxiety about going to this thing tonight.  I basically just don't like these kinds of events.  I don't mind seeing a concert or something like that, but mingling is not my thing and I often just end up standing around like a putz - and there will be no getting near Richard and Elizabeth - only pushy people will get in and glom onto them and I can't do that.  So... a decision to be made.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »

DR George it seems as if you are enjoying the hunt for props.

Jane

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »

Every time I have some soup that I like, I ask myself, "Self, why don't you have soup MUCH more often than you do?"...and I never get a really good answer.
 The only exception is Nathan making a wonderful turkey soup with the Thanksgiving leftovers.

My mother did not make chicken soup, only turkey.  It makes the best matzo ball soup.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:19 PM »

Progresso makes a canned turkey soup I used to keep in the house for when I was sick with a cold.  Carrots added to it made it fairly good.  If I could still find it then there would be a can or two in the cupboard.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »

For those days when only soup will do I have Puck's chicken with rice, Puck's tomato bisque, and Andersen's vegetarian split pea soup.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »

Wanda Richert, the original Peggy Sawyer in Gower Champion's 42nd Street shared this video on Facebook.  She played Cassie  in A Chorus Line in the 1980 first national company tour - she was only twenty-one at the time, so a decade too young for it.  This is a tech rehearsal in San Francisco.  Her acting is lovely, her singing is fine, but I, who have seen dozens and dozens of great Cassies, have never seen this number danced quite like this, and let me tell you that includes you-know-who - there is an energy, a ferociousness at play here that is breathtaking.  And I've had so many arguments with people how, only two years later, they began dragging the tempo in the final thirty seconds of the number - horribly so when I saw it in 1982 here - I couldn't believe it - those last five beats were like a funeral dirge and it robbed the number of it's build and powerhouse finish.  It was that way in the revival and in every production I've seen since 82.  And you know what people have tried to tell me?  That I'm just remembering it wrong and from the cast album, where most of the tempos were faster than the show to help fit as much material as they could on the LP.  Well, guess what - I wasn't wrong, I was absolutely correct - I knew it then and I know it now - and here is the video to prove it.  Listen to that tempo in the last thirty seconds - it doesn't slow up, it SPEEDS up as it should.  Anyway, this is a rather amazing performance and I wrote a nice thing on the YouTube page.  If you like it write something and be sure to tell her Bruce-O sent you to it. :)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSkjchQt2o&feature=youtu.be

Wow and she isn't even out of breath at the end.

John G.

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »

Wanda was never the best actress. But was it all her fault that the dialogue sounded clunky or cliched? When she got to the part about being back on the line I kinda cringed.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »

DR George it seems as if you are enjoying the hunt for props.

For the most part I am, but I worry about what I'm not finding. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2018, 01:05:57 PM »

Wanda Richert, the original Peggy Sawyer in Gower Champion's 42nd Street shared this video on Facebook.  She played Cassie  in A Chorus Line in the 1980 first national company tour - she was only twenty-one at the time, so a decade too young for it.  This is a tech rehearsal in San Francisco.  Her acting is lovely, her singing is fine, but I, who have seen dozens and dozens of great Cassies, have never seen this number danced quite like this, and let me tell you that includes you-know-who - there is an energy, a ferociousness at play here that is breathtaking.  And I've had so many arguments with people how, only two years later, they began dragging the tempo in the final thirty seconds of the number - horribly so when I saw it in 1982 here - I couldn't believe it - those last five beats were like a funeral dirge and it robbed the number of it's build and powerhouse finish.  It was that way in the revival and in every production I've seen since 82.  And you know what people have tried to tell me?  That I'm just remembering it wrong and from the cast album, where most of the tempos were faster than the show to help fit as much material as they could on the LP.  Well, guess what - I wasn't wrong, I was absolutely correct - I knew it then and I know it now - and here is the video to prove it.  Listen to that tempo in the last thirty seconds - it doesn't slow up, it SPEEDS up as it should.  Anyway, this is a rather amazing performance and I wrote a nice thing on the YouTube page.  If you like it write something and be sure to tell her Bruce-O sent you to it. :)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSkjchQt2o&feature=youtu.be

Wow!  That was great!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 01:06:26 PM »

In the "Up next" list (I don't know if it's the same for everyone), there's another video of her performing the same song but IN THAT VIDEO, she's obviously older.  According to the comments defending her performance, she had come into this production quickly after someone else had dropped out and it was shortly after she'd had a baby.  She still dances it a heck of a lot better than most people I know.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:21:28 PM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »

Well, just talked to Elizabeth Sherman and they really want me to come, so that's that.  However, I'll probably bail on going to the movie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 01:27:23 PM »

Well, damn.  I just got my statement from my HMO Medicare.  They still charge me for the payment they lost in March, and so tomorrow I must make a trip to Harlem and personally confront these idiots since my faxes and priority mails of copies of the cancelled check they claim they never received gave done nothing to correct their error.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »

Good afternoon!

George

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 01:39:47 PM »

Well, damn.  I just got my statement from my HMO Medicare.  They still charge me for the payment they lost in March, and so tomorrow I must make a trip to Harlem and personally confront these idiots since my faxes and priority mails of copies of the cancelled check they claim they never received gave done nothing to correct their error.

Give 'em Hell, Larry!! >:(

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »

The handyman is here, but I haven't seen the finished product yet. It can't look any worse than it did.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »

I'm kind of camping out on the sofa, as he has commandeered my kitchen.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 02:06:54 PM »

Give 'em Hell, Larry!! >:(

Ditto! And sorry you have to go through this.

I wonder if anyone has considered doing a study on how patient health declines due to having to fight the bureaucracy so much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up