Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SCARY NOTES  (Read 45057 times)

Tomovoz

Re:SCARY NOTES
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2003, 01:17:49 PM »

In honour of that holdiday celebrated in north America, I watched "Young Frankenstein" last night - IMHO still the funniest of the Mel Brooks movies made after "The Producers".  I also found that I was already logged on to HHW from yesterday - spooky indeed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2003, 01:22:18 PM »

Well, we made three pages.  The Errant and Truant are SCARING me.  The amusing thing is to see who is browsing the board and yet not posting and I mean YOU Jason!  Big BK is Watching You.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »

TD - I will think about your costume tomorrow - after all, tomorrow is another day!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2003, 01:32:46 PM »

Might I suggest "Wayne Newton's Greatest Hits" as a very scary album. Now to see if I can "log off". I will be back!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2003, 01:34:50 PM »

Oh, my...how frightening to be chided by BK himself on this very frightening of days. I was, indeed, reading the posts, but every time I started to write a post, my boss would walk by and give me the evil eye, so I had to close the window...it's quite unseemly.

I hope everyone is having a lovely Halloween. I haven't really any plans, with the exception of a midnight screening of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE with some friends at a theatre in Times Square. I used www.movietickets.com for the first time today to buy my ticket, so we'll see if it's actually there waiting for me.

Tomorrow I depart for Washington, DC, to see BOUNCE. Twice. Oy. I'll give a full report on Monday when I return.

Good news for WICKED: They've managed over $350,000 in ticket sales today, which is nearly double what they were doing yesterday and according to Playbill.com, their producer has stated that they haven't even begun their advertising campaigns. I can't believe that, considering how much I've seen about the show in papers, magazines, theatre shops, Times Square, etc., and now they have a radio commercial running. Good for them, I say. Perhaps it will be a hit after all. I sure hope so.

I want some candy.

My favorite Halloween costume? Well, don't laugh, but one year I was the Wicked Witch of the West--green skin, green nails, black wig et al. It was during my obsessive WIZARD OF OZ period, and I simply felt that Margaret Hamilton had the best makeup and costumes of all the characters, so that's who I wanted to be. My parents didn't quite get it, and still claim not to "get" it... Hmm...

My other favorite was the Phantom of the Opera costume I did for two or three years, complete with an extensive home-made makeup job that looked quite wonderful if I do say so myself. Stage Makeup 101 did wonders for me. In fact, the Phantom makeup was my final project in that class.

Andrea

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2003, 01:36:35 PM »

Hmmm....I don't even know if I'm dressing up today.  I have an old flapper costume I could wear, so perhaps I could be one of Millie's flapper friends with bad taste (the costume is really too sequined and tacky).  And my hair is way too long.  

oh! I'm doing flapper:)
 Oldie but a goody... if only I could figure out my hair...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2003, 01:37:16 PM »

Does that mean that Jason is a lurker?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2003, 01:37:21 PM »

One of my other favorite costumes was going as the Cracker Jack boy. I dressed in an old-fashioned Navy outfit and we found a dog that resembled the dog on the Cracker Jack box. We sewed him to the leg of my Navy pants and Voila, a creative and original costume.

What?   Am I the only person who felt the need to ask?

You sewed a dog to your leg?   Couldn't you have just found one in heat that would have stayed by your leg no matter what?

(I HAD to say it.  No, really!  It was just bugging the hell out of the smartass in me!  I did try to let it go.....)

;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 01:50:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2003, 01:38:02 PM »

DR td, your chest is arousing. The rest, well, um . . . .

Speaking of scary, Judy Garland's rendition of "I'll Plant My Own Tree" is one of the saddest and most depressing things I've ever heard.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2003, 01:38:44 PM »

I'm so close to 50 posts! This should do it!!

Jason

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2003, 01:41:10 PM »

Ladies and germs...I am now an official Junior Member. :D

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2003, 01:42:43 PM »

Congratulations! How does it feel to reach a new stage in your maturity?  :D

Jason

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2003, 01:43:54 PM »

It puts a little hair on your chest...not as much as TD's, but a hair or two nonetheless.  :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 01:44:23 PM by Jason »

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2003, 01:44:19 PM »

I've got the Jeremy Brett/Sherlock Holmes DVD THE LAST VAMPYRE cued up for tonight.

Jason

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2003, 01:45:16 PM »

I'm wearing my DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES t-shirt today in honor of this most WICKED of holidays.

(That will be the only time I use the titles of those two shows in the same sentence ever again.)

Michael

« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2003, 01:45:33 PM »

MDS - that Album is Scary.  Sometimes I play it and keep saying....it's \
Golden Rainbow - Original Broadway Cast, Steve & Eydie

Actually I was surprised to learn that two reasonably good songs to come from that show:  "I Got to Be Me" and "We Got Us"
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2003, 01:46:22 PM »

td:  I am feeling strangely aroused.

Fiddle-dee-dee, Mr. TCB!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2003, 01:48:33 PM »

DR td, your chest is arousing. The rest, well, um . . . .

Speaking of scary, Judy Garland's rendition of "I'll Plant My Own Tree" is one of the saddest and most depressing things I've ever heard.

. . .and a fiddle-dee-dee to you-all, too, Mr. Matt!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2003, 01:49:06 PM »

My favorite Halloween costume:

It was 1983, and I was "invited" to a party being thrown by one of my fellow journalism instructors in Indianapolis.  It promised to be a whoop-di-doo affair and I wanted to make an impression.

I visited an Army-Navy store and picked up a few essential items.  On Halloween afternoon (it was a Saturday as I recall), I got out everything.

I had loose-fitting camouflage pants, a close-fitting black tanktop, a black military-style beret, a gun belt and three different kinds of camouflage body paint.  Oh,yes, and pair of very serious military jungle boots.

I put on my VHS tape of "Conan the Barbarian" and fast-forwarded to the scene where Conan and his two cohorts invaded the throne room of Thulsa Doom.  If you recall, the trio was extensively covered in body paint and I used that as my model.  When I was done, I drove to the party.

When I got there, I knew I was in the perfect attire.  No one I knew recognized me right off.  And no one I knew ever reacted the same to me again afterward.  I'm not sure why, but I don't think they had given much thought to how creative I could be (that and the fact that I was the only one there who had gone so far with doing a costume...most wore masks and head-thingies and/or something extra over regular street clothes.  

One of the neighbor ladies was there and she said her boyfriend would be right behind her.  And then he appeared.  He came to the party as something that he was at that time: The reigning Golden Gloves champion of the region.  He wore the trunks and the shoes and his belt.

We shared the prize for costume!!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 01:53:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2003, 01:50:49 PM »

Oh, wow, TD!

I really have to say, in all honesty....

You looked quite lovely!  :D

Ah, fie and fiddle-dee-dee!  Let's talk about the war. . .

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2003, 01:54:52 PM »

War! War! War!  All anyone ever talks about is WAR!

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2003, 01:56:22 PM »

Also, before I went accidentally went to CinemaScope, I inquired about other DRs opinions on Miss Marianne Faithful.  I thought for sure that Jrand and MBarnum (love those interviews in the new Scarlet Street, btw) about Miss Faithful's film work. . .
Seriously, the voice on the album BROKEN ENGLISH is miles away from the girl who sang "As Tears Go By."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2003, 01:57:17 PM »

Okay, answers to questions:

Jrand: I haven't seen The Legend of Tom Dooley since it came out - perhaps Mr. Stein wrote some guitar strums or something.

Ben: I did see the '71 production of Funny Thing.  It was not great but it certainly was enjoyable.  I was/am a huge Phil Silvers fan and he was, at times, very funny, but he was also a bit out of it (if I remember, they had to cut Pretty Little Picture because he couldn't do it).  I think the Hero had just played or went on to play Christine Jorgensen.

WEL: The Lucky Stiff cast was part original cast, part studio cast, but had nothing to do with me - Lynn and Steve put the cast together, with my blessings.  The orchestration was augmented quite a bit for the album.

Matt: What one classic film not on DVD would I like to see on DVD?  Toughie for just one, but I'll just say Li'l Abner and be done with it.

Noel: CD duplication, in the numbers you're talking about, will be pretty much the same wherever you do it.  Your question re packaging would depend on where you were selling and how much you were charging.  Jewel cases are cheap as can be now, in fact to press a CD with booklet, inlay and everything should cost under a buck.  It's nice to have a graphic on the CD itself, and most pressing places do a simple black on silver for nothing.

Kerry: That is me speaking with Susan Gordon on Jeepers Creepers.  Guy wanted to but we are all a bit tired of him by that point.

Sarah: I don't have anything against the idea of reality shows, I just don't care for them very much.  Same with country music unless it's like Here You Come Again.

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2003, 01:57:47 PM »

War! War! War!  All anyone ever talks about is WAR!

Don't make me fiddle-dee-dee you too, Ron!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2003, 02:03:20 PM »

OK.  My question from Wednesday gets shifted to the chopped liver pile.   :(

The question, posed in all sincerity, Dear BK, was if there were any non-musical properties (play, film or book) out there that you'd like to see made into a musical.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2003, 02:05:11 PM »

DR td, you understand I was only commenting on a man in drag, not THE man in drag. Get rid of the dress, and I need a palmetto fan to cool me off.

:D

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2003, 02:09:11 PM »

DR td, you understand I was only commenting on a man in drag, not THE man in drag. Get rid of the dress, and I need a palmetto fan to cool me off.

:D

Ah, youth.

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

:-*

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2003, 02:14:23 PM »

DVD Excitement:

Not done yet... we also have a list of upcoming Paramount catalog titles for early 2004. No street dates yet, but these are reportedly all in the works: Top Gun: Collector's Edition, We're No Angels (1989), Permanent Record, Brother Sun, Sister Moon, The Ten Commandments: Collector's Edition, The Greatest Show on Earth, The Little Prince, Half a Sixpence, Fat Man and Little Boy, The Molly Maguires and My Side of the Mountain.

This is from thedigitalbits.com

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2003, 02:15:30 PM »

I think the Hero had just played or went on to play Christine Jorgensen.

.................ROTFLMAO....................
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2003, 02:18:56 PM »

Judy's tree is indeed painful.....

Marianne Faithful I don't know from.....never saw The Leather Boys...only know some of her songs.  Yes, I know, my education is deficient.

My favorite song from GOLDEN RAINBOW is For Once in Your Life - a duet for Steve and Eydie.  One of those songs that has an annoying pronoun change.....she is singing 'for once in my life' and he is singing 'for once in your life' EVEN when they are singing together...and it pisses me off!!!

Anyway....Lassie just cured a blind war hero on Jeff's Collie.  And I watched even though I swore I would never watch it again when Lassie brought in  a motorboat after the sailor fainted...but I did.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up