Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SCARY NOTES  (Read 45134 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SCARY NOTES
« on: October 31, 2003, 12:44:23 AM »

Now that you've read the notes, it's time for our Halloween posts and discussion of the topic of the day.  Be creative, be wild, be free, and let us party until the cows come home whilst dispensing with multitudes of both tricks, treats, and Amys.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 12:35:44 AM by bk »

Angela

Re:SCARY NOTES
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 12:50:07 AM »

Can this be true -- I'm the first post of the day! :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 12:50:40 AM by Angela »
Where ever you go, there you are.........

Angela

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:52:00 AM »

Wow, what a rocket scientist I am -- a post and an edit all in the same minute.

No costume this year, as I'll be trekking to Los Angeles for a Retreat weekend.  Thank goodness the fires in Santa Clarita & Simi Valley are under control.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 12:54:01 AM by Angela »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 02:53:51 AM »

Here you are, my pretties.  Why wait until your demise to find out where you will spend eternity?

Yes, take the Dante's Inferno test and discover your own Ring of Hell!  Bwaaa-hahahahahahahahaha!

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv

I don't have a picture of my costume.  ???

Tonight I will be joining my sister Molly Scattered Sun in the Spirit Circle at the World of Wisdom Bookstore.

Tomorrow night I will be doing Tarot Readings....but other than that, it's just another day in paradise.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 04:48:39 AM »

I always thought that Diana Ross and the Supremes sing Funny Girl was scary

I really don't have a favorite costume, but I always sorta like the home made ones. Oftten I went as an old man. Aged myself with makeup and old 2nd hand clothes.

The easiest ones of course were the ghost and looking back as a child I was an F.I.T. even then. I would not use any old polyester sheet. They had to be satin!

But this year since I wasn't invited anywhere. No costume. But as I get older it really isn't a big deal.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 04:49:36 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 05:13:41 AM »

MDS - that Album is Scary.  Sometimes I play it and keep saying....it's just an album...it's just an album.

Other scary LP's I own:

George Hamilton Sings!

Elke Sommer - Ich Liebe Diche

Monique Van Vooren - Cocktails and Mink

Golden Rainbow - Original Broadway Cast, Steve & Eydie

My favorite Halloween costume - white tie and tails & a cabbage patch character - I was the Valet of the Dolls.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 05:32:38 AM »

JRand, I had to remember that there is no groaning at HHW (Valet of the Dolls).

My favorite Halloween Costume was when I went as a Q-Tip. I was still living in Minnesota (in St. Paul actually in the Homo House (there were 4 of us sharing a house, 3 extremely happy men and one straight but not narrow) and we had a hoppin' Halloween party. I have the picture at home. If I can find it and scan it in I will try to post it. I went to the local second hand store and happened upon this amazing hat-like thing. I looked at it and knew exactly what it should be. I had a white unitard, white socks, white fuzzy slippers, white gloves and the fuzzy peaked white hat. I was quite a success. I have also gone as Mr. Peanut (Anthony made two sides of a peanut out of tag board, we painted them and attached like a sandwich board. I had a monocle, a top hat, gloves and a cane. The only difficult part was sitting down. You can't sit down in a sandwich board. One of my other favorite costumes was going as the Cracker Jack boy. I dressed in an old-fashioned Navy outfit and we found a dog that resembled the dog on the Cracker Jack box. We sewed him to the leg of my Navy pants and Voila, a creative and original costume.

I think I mentioned yesterday that I won't be doing anything this year. When you live in the middle of Halloween Hell, some of the joy is taken out of it. The Parade route is a half block away from our apartment and it becomes a traffic nightmare, both for cars and people. It becomes difficult to get anywhere or do anything if you don't do it before 5pm. We generally just stay in and watch the parade on our local all news channel, New York 1. If we are on Long Island when it happens, we are more inclined to partake in the festivities but this year we are in the city.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 05:40:52 AM »

Happy Halloween!!!!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 05:48:17 AM »

A really truly scary happening.

Click on the link for information about the solar flares.

Some great space photography!   ;D

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solar_flare_031029.html

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 05:58:01 AM »

My costume this year is opera-goer.  A former roommate of mine is doing a big role at a big theatre.  And I mean big.  So big he crushes things.  There: that's enough hints.

My ask BK questions went unanswered.

George's ghost joke from late yesterday is one I often tell.  I think I told it to 3 out of the 4 'rents at the rehearsal dinner.  Lots of relatives were offended that they'd not been invited to the rehearsal dinner, but I ask you: What had they rehearsed?  That dinner was just for all those who'd trod the boards that day.  There is no free lunch.  What the hell am I talking about?

I also told a riddle I'd heard the previous night at the bachelor party: What's the difference between erotic and kinky?  If you use a feather, it's erotic.  It's kinky...when you use the entire chicken.

Now, who could argue with that?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 06:01:21 AM »

So - DR Noel....hmmmmmmmm....I know:

GODZILLA - The Opera!

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 06:16:37 AM »

I think that we should all sing "very hairy, very scary" (Ah! a KISMET reference!) and I shall go to work dressed as LaLume. . . .NOW THAT'S SCARY! !

Scary Albums:
PATTY DUKES SINGS VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
MARIANNE FAITHFUL - BROKEN ENGLISH
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Emily

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 06:18:45 AM »

... the whole chicken?

OMG - ROTFLMAO!!!

coffee spitting out Noel!!! I'm charging you for the damage to my monitor!

(I'll post later)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 06:31:20 AM »

BK - Did you answer my "Ask BK Day" Questions on the recording of LUCKY STIFF?  I thought I read through everything from the time I posted to now but I never saw the answer.

To clairify something from yesterday's posts, Oscar Hammerstein II did hand those words to Mary Martin on a piece of paper but he was handing her what turned out to be the final lyrics he wrote (the intro to her reprise of "16 Going on 17"), not something that she asked to be added to the show.

Also someone mentioned that Bea Benadarit (I know it's spelled wrong) was Lucy's original choice for Ethel Mertz but failed to mention that Gale Gordon was the first choice for Fred.  Bea was busy on the Burns and Allen Show and Gale was on "Our Miss Brooks".  Thus was formed the team of Vivian Vance and William Frawley, two actors who never let their mutual hate of each other show on screen.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DallasM

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 06:36:17 AM »

My most favoritest costume was a Judy Garland Concert.  How did I achieve that, you ask -- and rightly so?  A rainbow painted across my eyes and down my face, a sandwich board with all of Garland's movie titles stenciled on the back, a reproduction of the Carnegie Hall concert poster on the front, and "Lest We Forget" stenciled in gold letters on the bottom.  A pair of red sequinned tennis shoes.  And to top it off, a hidden speaker and portable battery operated cd player blaring "Judy at Carnegie Hall" on my person.  Probably the gayest thing I've ever done..although Bruce dressing as Effie Melody White performing "I Am Changing" ranks right up there.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 06:47:23 AM »

http://www.topqualityrockandroll.com/multimedia/PattyDuke_ill_plant_my.mp3

TD is correct - click on the link if you DARE to hear Ms. Patty Duke - Oscar, Emmy, and Tony winner singing the Andre & Dory Previn hit:  I'll Plant My Own Tree.

I repeat, this is only for the brave!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 06:48:28 AM »

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 06:53:05 AM »

Warning:  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr....song takes a LONG time to load.

Angela

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 06:53:59 AM »

Oh Karma Fairy -- you giveth and then takenth.  

Ah, the story of my life. :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 07:31:55 AM »

WEL, I was the one who posted the information about Bea Benadaret being Lucy's first choice for Ethel Mertz. Of course, I knew that Gale Gordon was her first choice for Fred, but as Bea's name had been discussed on previous messages, I didn't find it pertinent to mention Gale Gordon.

I don't think Patty Duke has ever won a Tony, DR Jrand. Amazingly, she wasn't even nominated for THE MIRACLE WORKER, the role that won her the Oscar!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 07:43:54 AM »

JRand, that album and song clips have been posted before so I've heard them. You're right, they are scary!!! It's Patty at her most undiagnosed. I think it was you (I may be wrong but I won't check the archives) who said Patty and the Orchestra are racing to the finish line but the orchestra wins. All those songs as performed by Patty are quite the camp treasures. She seems to have a good take on the whole thing, knowing that she was suffering from undiagnosed psychological problems, it seems she can look at that  period in her life without anger or recrimination.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2003, 07:44:42 AM »

Good Rhoda Morgenstern.  I didn't want to get out of bed this morning.  It has finally cooled off here and I like to stay in bed when it is chilly in the morning.  Ah, well, on Sunday I'll get to stay in bed.

Noel and WEL - I said in yesterday's posts that I hadn't answered most of the questions because of the bad computer situation at work - I will answer them, but probably not until tomorrow - although, if I can do them on my lunch hour today, I shall.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2003, 07:58:02 AM »

I forgot to talk about Halloween costumes. The most elaborate I ever had was a Merlin costume I had about 10 years ago. I think that's probably the last costume party I've ever gone to, but there was no way to go but down after that elaborate thing with robes and pointy hat, wigs, beard, etc.

One year I had a flannel monk's costume, but it was an unseasonably tropical night with temperatures in the 80s, and I knew I would die from the heat in that long robe, so I pulled out some old boxing trunks and other equipment I had used in ROTC and that was the bulk of my costume.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2003, 08:01:46 AM »

Is that smiley some subtle suggestion that I grow hair, BK?  Nay, I say: I will not bow to the pressure of smilies.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2003, 08:05:16 AM »

Dear Readers in southern California -- how is the fire situation from your perspectives? We've got smoky skies all the way here into Arizona.

I'm on standby to be sent over for disaster relief whenever they call me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2003, 08:11:41 AM »

Notice to all DRs in the NYC area:
Since there has been very little publicity so far, you may not be aware that on Monday 11/24 there will be a benefit for BC/EFA of AUNTIE MAME with Charles Busch in the title role and an all star cast including Olympia Dukakis, Swoosie Kurtz, Robert Sean Leonard, Marian Seldes, Douglas Sills, B.D. Wong and Louis Zorich.  Tickets start at $40 for the balcony but it is a very small theatre (John Jay College at 10th Avenue and 58th Street) so even the cheap seats aren't too bad.  Phone (212) 840-0770 x268 for info or tickets.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2003, 08:11:49 AM »

Scary Recordings - I can't recall any at the moment, but I'm sure I'll come up with a few.

Best Halloween Costume - Homemade ones are the best.  Last year I went as "The Big Blue House" from the "Bear in the Big Blue House" series (Disney/Hensen) This year, I'm going as Bear.  I didn't make this one tho', it was an eBay find.  So exciting, last year, when the costume came in the mail, I wore it to a perfromance of "Annie" that was conducting, and Bear conducted (and played keyboards) the first half of the first act of "Annie" (the orchestra was hidden, of course) but the looks from the cast when they passed the orchestra backstage were priceless!!  It eventually got way too hot in the costume, so Bear left after NYC.  This year, Bear will make an appearence at my niece's pre-school and join in their parade.   :D

Who is Bear?  Check the picture on the left.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2003, 08:14:21 AM »

DR MattH - you are indeed correct.  Ms Duke did not win a Tony Award - YET!  Maybe I was prognosticating.  :o

And yes Ben - I did post that comment before - but certainly it bears repeating!   ::)

And while this get-up would work, I don't think this photo of Patty was taken before she went out trick or treating.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2003, 08:41:02 AM »

Today's Topic

I don't think I have any favorite costumes, because I really never liked Halloween or dressing up in costume!  And God forbid, I should ever go to a Costume Party.  Maybe it has something to do with being an actor, or maybe I am just an old stick in the mud.

One year, back in the ‘80s, I got so fed up at being badgered by my co-workers, about not dressing up, that I got up very early on Halloween morning, took a bottle of liquid latex and a very vivid red lipstick, and created a very convincing copy of Freddy Krueger's face.  I even had the right kind of hat, and the striped shirt.  The only thing missing were the hands, but since I was going to be driving to work with the costume and then sitting and writing all day, I decided to skip the hands.  Still, I was amused by the reactions people had to seeing Freddy driving on the freeway or working in their local Welfare Office.

Tonight, after work, I will drive home, feed the cats, and then head out of town to have dinner out with some friends.  That way I don’t have to pass out candy to the undeserving  kiddies.

I am the one that wrote about the Mary Martin story yesterday.  I didn’t say the story was true, all I did was repeat the story that I heard Mary tell.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2003, 08:45:54 AM »

Elysa Gardner in USA TODAY, called "Wicked" a thoroughly enchanting experience!  She says Kristen in "ideally cast" and says complimentary things about Idina and Norbert as well!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up