Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 27781 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2005, 06:20:17 AM »

Happy Birthday DR IRIS
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 06:23:43 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2005, 06:29:27 AM »

The full version was 2 cds

Both are on my tribute site

and did the orchestrations!!!

DRMichaelShayne, I helped with them.  The very talented and charming Lanny Meyers did almost all of them!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2005, 06:31:30 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Ben!

Happy Birthday DR Iris!

Ben

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2005, 06:52:20 AM »

Iris and I share this birthdate with these people as well. I have only heard of some of them. Others, such as Anna Roemersdochter Visscher, remain unknown to me.

Anna Roemersdochter Visscher (1583); Nell Gwyn (1650); Charles de Talleyrand (1754); John Peters "J.P." Stevens (1868); James Joyce (1882); George Stanley Halas (1895); Ayn Rand (1905); Abba Solomon Eban (1915); James Lafayette Dickey (1923)

Ben

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2005, 06:53:44 AM »

Here is a link to some other famous February Seconders including Elaine Stritch, who isn't on this link list.

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/feb.html

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2005, 07:03:18 AM »

And my co-workers are having cake for me in the lounge at 3:30 so it will be a nice day.

Ben, is that the entire FC staff?  If so, say HI from Dayton to Judi, Erika, Charlotte, and Susan!  Have a great birthday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2005, 07:07:08 AM »

Not everyone, just the Grants Indexing staff, but I will pass on your greetings to Judi, Erika, Charlotte, and Susan. I see them almost every day.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2005, 07:10:55 AM »

Happy birthday to DR Ben, and Happy birthday to DR Iris!!! Hope each of you have a wonderful day!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2005, 07:20:47 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Ben and DR Iris!

(age before beauty)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2005, 07:23:34 AM »

My calendar says (it can indeed be very vocal at times) that today is Ground Hog Day. This of course means very little to us here in OZ - except for a fairly ordinary movie.  Is Mr Sondheim really thinking about or indeed writing a musical based on the screenplay?
Word is that yes, Mr. Sondheim (BK's close personal friend) is indeed thinking about writing a musical based on the screenplay to Groundhog Day.  He apparently is attracted to the idea of theme and variations as a way of expressing the story.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2005, 07:31:46 AM »

I may have asked this before, but here's a question for our general DRship:

What newspapers do you regularly read, both in hard copy and on-line?

I only read the Cape Gazette in hard copy these days.  It's a local paper with local news, and is published twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Fridays.  We're not terribly busy in these parts.   8)

Once a week, we pick up the Sunday Washington Post.  (That's Washington DC, not the state on the left coast.)

On line, I've been checking the Delaware News Journal lately, which covers more regional news, even though it is heavily slanted towards Wilmington, DE.  Those North Delaware people think they're the center of the universe!   :P

Der Brucer, I know, still checks out the Los Angeles Times and the Long Beach Press Telegram on-line.  He also prints out their crossword puzzles every day.  If I print them out for him, I write in the margins alternative answers to some of the clues.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2005, 07:45:09 AM »

The first time I came across the word "gazebo" was in the Agatha Christie novel Dead Man's Folly (1956).  It featured her famous detective, Hercule Poirot, and her own parody of herself, Ariadne Oliver.  Other than that it was the first Christie novel I ever read, and that the gazebo, or "folly," was an integral setting for the action of the book, I remember little about it.

From what I understand, the story was made into a television movie in 1986, starring Peter Ustinov and Jean Stapleton as the two sleuths.  It sounds absolutely ghastly.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2005, 07:47:57 AM »

A very Happy Birthday to DR Ben and a wish for many more!

These sentiments are also extended to DR Iris!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2005, 07:53:47 AM »

I did not like any of the CBS versions of Agatha Christie books starring Peter Ustinov because they moderinized the settings of them all, and they also cast them with under-talented, uncharismatic actors (they would throw in one additional movie star with Ustinov - Faye Dunaway, Tony Curtis, buit the rest were not in the same league with the stars and the films were thus wildly out of balance). At least the feature film versions (at least those done by Lord Brabourne) remained true to period and had wonderful actors in all the leading roles.

The two Miss Marple movies that CBS did with Helen Hayes were decidedly better, but the Joan Hickson versions are, of course, definitive.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2005, 07:55:14 AM »

I've never seen TWENTIETH CENTURY either, and since I loved the Broadway musical version so much, I'm really looking forward to getting this film on DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2005, 07:56:24 AM »

A cake diet? Hmmmm....... I think bk is onto something. I have a devil's food cake mix staring me in the face as I type this. Should I dive right in and have this today? It is VERY tempting.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:06 AM »

[sigh] Another LOST rerun tonight. I guess I can see AMERICAN IDOL live, then. Sadly, the Hollywood rounds don't start until next week. Tonight is the last of the audition shows, and I say thank goodness for that!

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2005, 07:58:25 AM »

TAR DISCUSSION FROM LAST NIGHT'S SHOW

OMG!  They tricked us.  The last non-elimination has always been during the first hour of the last show.  Was anybody else shocked/upset that ADAM and Rebecca were not eliminated.  I was so happy that Kris and John were able to get to the pit stop in third.  But I was freaking out when Phil said that the last team was not eliminated.

I thought we were finally rid of devil boy and his girl.  AGHHHHHHHHHHH! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Ben!

Happy Birthday DR Iris!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2005, 08:17:02 AM »

A cake diet? Hmmmm....... I think bk is onto something. I have a devil's food cake mix staring me in the face as I type this. Should I dive right in and have this today? It is VERY tempting.
I'd suggest baking the cake first, rather than eating the mix.  But I understand the temptation.

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2005, 08:17:05 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR VERY OWN STUD MUFFIN, BEN!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2005, 08:17:30 AM »

Happy Birthday to Iris!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2005, 08:17:56 AM »

Happy Birthday to Elaine Stritch!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2005, 08:18:39 AM »

:DCAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2005, 08:26:57 AM »

DR Kerry said:

"CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Well, who can say no to CAKE! Not me! Don't know what kind I'll have tonight but you'll hear about it.

Thanks to one and all for the good wishes. Now it's time for lunch!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:27:17 AM by Ben »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2005, 08:51:39 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Ben![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Iris![/move]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Elaine![/move]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:53:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2005, 08:54:39 AM »

Gazebo memory, Crown Point, Ind. c. 1979...

Grandpa: (in full teaching mode, pointing at a gazebo) That, my boy is called a "jacuzzi".

Me, age 8: I think it's called a "gazebo".

Grandpa: <silence>

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2005, 08:54:45 AM »

B'day bests to Iris and Ben.

I LOVE the TWENTIETH CENTURY.  Barrymore's Oscar Jaffe is one of the great comic performances...when he is chalking out Ms. Lombard's blocking on the stage...hilarious!

BK question:  BK, when and where did you learn to read music?  (I'm assuming one of your luminous skills does read it)  In the Kritzer books, it seems like Benjamins learns to play the piano by assidiously picking out melodies.  Did you have any formal musical training?  Or are you mostly self-taught?

The news headline on my home-page talks about the groundhog's "preditions"...Does no one proof-read anymore?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2005, 08:54:59 AM »

DR MattH:  Make Devil's Food cupcakes...that way, you can put different icings on them....dark chocolate, light chocolate, sour cream, etc.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2005, 08:56:09 AM »

What a day I am having!!! I am tempted to use Woody's advice from yesterday
Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&$ upside the head.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up