Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE  (Read 27654 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:I'M IN THE MOOD FOR CAKE
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2005, 08:57:29 AM »

Gazebo memory, Crown Point, Ind. c. 1979...

Grandpa: (in full teaching mode, pointing at a gazebo) That, my boy is called a "jacuzzi".

Me, age 8: I think it's called a "gazebo".

Grandpa: <silence>

;D Thanks! I needed that!!  Welcome aboard !
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2005, 08:58:43 AM »

DR JRand54:  Whose night is it, do you think, to go on "Project Runway"?

Rob?  Wendy?

I'm thinking Jay and Austin and Kara are the final three, but I could be wrong as Austin often seems to teeter on a thin line with the judges.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:59:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2005, 09:05:26 AM »

Good Morning!

Ah, sleep.  Now if I can just do something about this less than ideal mattress... But only two more weeks to go.  However, I do have to say that ever since I started working out last week, I have been sleeping better, more sound.  I guess what "they" have been saying for all these years is true.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2005, 09:06:04 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Ben!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Iris!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2005, 09:18:45 AM »

As for Newspapers:

Hard copies:
Washington Post
Richmond Times-Dispatch
Style Weekly - My favorite "paper" in Richmond.  Covers not only just "style", but also local politics, architecture, social issues, etc.
New York Times - usually just Sundays, but sometimes the morning after a new Broadway show opens just to see the review in actual print

On-line:
Washington Post - www.washingtonpost.com
Richmond Times-Dispatch - www.timesdispatch.com
Style Weekly - www.styleweekly.com - Oh, it's Wednesday - new issue.
New York Times - www.nytimes.com

So... I usually read both the online and offline versions.  Just depends where I am - geographically speaking.  However, sometimes I will go ahead and get the print version even after reading the online version - I like the bigger pictures, as well as checking out the ads.   And I usually read the online versions as soon as the are posted after midnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »

Happy Birthday DR BEN.

Happy Birthday DR IRIS!!

Happy Birthday Ms. Ayn Rand!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2005, 09:25:35 AM »

Jacuzzi....LOL!

I liked THE GAZEBO when I first saw it - but it seemed a bit forced the last time.  And that plot motivator about those "dirty" pictures of Debbie Reynolds, well who could believe it?  She would never pose for anything like that!

Of course there are two character actors extraordinaire on view in Ms Doro Miranda and John McGiver!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2005, 09:26:26 AM »

My question for ASK BK day....since we discussed costumes on Sunday....

What is the BEST costume you have worn for a movie or play....and why.

AND what is the worst costume you have had to endure....and why.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2005, 09:38:04 AM »

My question for ASK BK day....since we discussed costumes on Sunday....

What is the BEST costume you have worn for a movie or play....and why.

AND what is the worst costume you have had to endure....and why.

Not to take away from this being an "Ask BK" question, but I do have an illustration of a costume (or costumes) that prove that a picture is worth a thousand words:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2005, 09:40:31 AM »

It was for EVERYONE as well DR RON - which one are you?  

I was hoping for some pictures.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2005, 09:42:30 AM »

I just saw an episode of I LOVE LUCY featuring a writer who was doing a layout of the Ricardos.  She was also taking photos.  And (I have never noticed this in the years I have seen it) - the actress was using a flashbulb type camera - and when she changed bulbs after each shot - she put the metal end of the bulb in her mouth before she put it in the flash attachment.....what's up with that?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2005, 09:51:22 AM »

My guess about Project Runway, DR RON - is that Jay or Rob goes home tonight.

I think the final three will be Kara, Austin, and Wendy.  Wendy for the drama, I think.  It would be great if Wendy left tonight - my fingers are crossed, but I think it's Jay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2005, 10:03:54 AM »

BK question:  BK, when and where did you learn to read music?  (I'm assuming one of your luminous skills does read it)  In the Kritzer books, it seems like Benjamins learns to play the piano by assidiously picking out melodies.  Did you have any formal musical training?  Or are you mostly self-taught?

It's in Kritzer Time.  I did always have a good ear, but for about eight months I took piano lessons from a really interesting teacher who taught "musical shorthand".  I learned key signatures, time signatures, chords, and how to put all of that together, but he only taught the most rudimentary form of reading notes.  I can read them, but not all that well.  I pretty much play be ear and chord signatures.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2005, 10:05:40 AM »

The highlights Unsung Irving Berlin has most of the great stuff, but it's missing about twelve numbers I think.  As elmore states, that was a Lanny Meyers album - when I met with the Berlin family they thought that kind of Nelson Riddle-Billy May approach was the best, and that's what Lanny is expert at.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »

I just saw an episode of I LOVE LUCY featuring a writer who was doing a layout of the Ricardos.  She was also taking photos.  And (I have never noticed this in the years I have seen it) - the actress was using a flashbulb type camera - and when she changed bulbs after each shot - she put the metal end of the bulb in her mouth before she put it in the flash attachment.....what's up with that?

THAT was an old trick that was fashionable with photogs to "ensure" that there was sufficient contact for the flash to go off.

NOTHING was more irritating with flash photography than when a perfectly good bulb would not flash as the photo was snapped!

Re:  The photo...that is a scene from one of the most misbegotten productions of "Antigone" known to amateur theater.  The locale was Myers Auditorium, Mars Hill College, fall 1967.  I was in the Greek Chorus and I am the one on the left.  My to-this-day-buddies (thanks to the internet) are Joe Bingham (center) and Andy Biro (right).  It was directed by Dr. Charles Cox, who had the voice of a somnambulistic John Houseman.  He also directed a production of "Darkness At Noon" from which I was mercifully spared but which had my also-spared roommate and I in hysterical stitches through much of the first half.  We didn't dare return after intermission.

For fun, I should tell you that I had an attack of pharyngitis during the performance dates of this play, and Dr. Cox stood in the wings prepared to read my lines for me, while I mouthed the words, should that have become necessary.

I fought through it....Froggy from "Our Gang" would have thought me his long-lost sibling.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 10:09:30 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2005, 10:11:19 AM »

One, two, three:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER TO DEAR READER BEN!!! [/move] [/color]

One, two, three:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A ROUSING BIRTHDAY CHEER TO DEAR READER IRIS!!![/move][/color]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2005, 10:11:20 AM »

OMG!  They tricked us.  The last non-elimination has always been during the first hour of the last show.  Was anybody else shocked/upset that ADAM and Rebecca were not eliminated.  I was so happy that Kris and John were able to get to the pit stop in third.  But I was freaking out when Phil said that the last team was not eliminated.

I thought we were finally rid of devil boy and his girl.  AGHHHHHHHHHHH! :)

I was actually relieved that is was a non-elimination round...I wasn't ready for any of the teams to leave, just yet...I don't know why.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2005, 10:13:53 AM »

I think my favorite costumes were in the play, Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Taper.  It was really the first time wardrobe had ever been specifically made for me (outside of college), and Pete Menefee did a great job.  I still see Pete at opening nights occasionally - before he was a costume designer, he was one of the dancers in Mary Poppins.

Worst costume or most uncomfortable: I have very little memory of it, but as a favor I came in and did a little bit on a pilot for NBC where I played the front end of a horse - you know, with a horse's head thing on.  Someone I'd worked for and who loved me was doing it, and wanted the horse to be funny.  I said yes.  It was so hot inside that thing it was awful.  And the only vivid memory I have of that experience is that we shot at NBC in Burbank and Johnny Carson came into the makeup room when I was standing in the horse's head, and he petted me.  Also, the story about the older actor peeing in the sink in Writer's Block came from that experience, too.  It was, I believe, Milton Berle's brother who did it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2005, 10:38:03 AM »

A Horse In the Makeup Room - now THAT is a title!

I have been the front of the horse (Music Man) and I have been the back of the horse (Hello Dolly).  The front of the horse is better.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 10:38:52 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2005, 10:42:10 AM »

Interesting point about the Photographer.  That means actress Joan Banks did some good research, or was instructed well by the director for her part.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »

And might I just say - GAZEBO.

And might I just ask where are the QUESTIONS?

Ben

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2005, 10:58:39 AM »

"Gazebo!"

"Gesundheit"

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2005, 11:00:31 AM »

Dear BK,

Explain Stephen Pumfrey's arguments about how James I's Daemonologie affected Thomas Pott's writings. How did Marion Gibson prove Potts distorted the trials' events? Did you find Jonathan Lumby's arguments for the choice of the victims who were accused convincing? Explain your answer. Did John Swan support Reginald Scot's claim that the poor were particularly vulnerable to witchcraft charges? Explain your answer. What was Michael Mullett's conclusion about the impact of Reformation politics on the Lancashire outbreak?

Also, my mother would like to know where the floop is the guy who is supposed to fix the phone.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:09:37 AM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »

I don't think I have any amusing gazebo stories, believe it or not.

I do have a bad costume story, although it's not especially amusing. When we did our church's Christmas pageant, the girls always had to be the angels and the boys were either shepherds or wise men. They would chase us around with their gold, frankinsence, shepherd's crooks, and whatnot and use them as weapons once they caught us. We couldn't run very fast because those terrible tin foil wings caught the air and really slowed us down.

And then one year, some of us girls got to be shepherds for some reason and I was so excited. But they didn't let me have one of the crooks and instead I had to look after a hyper-active sheep who wanted to go play with the advent candles.

That was a rather pointless story, wasn't it?

Any way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR READER IRIS AND DEAR READER BEN!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »

I remember my grandfather doing that, he said it made sure there was a good contact so the bulb would go off.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »

I was a wise man several times, DR SANDRA.....you are right....the shepherds had the best job!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2005, 11:27:01 AM »

Dear BK,

Explain Stephen Pumfrey's arguments about how James I's Daemonologie affected Thomas Pott's writings. How did Marion Gibson prove Potts distorted the trials' events? Did you find Jonathan Lumby's arguments for the choice of the victims who were accused convincing? Explain your answer. Did John Swan support Reginald Scot's claim that the poor were particularly vulnerable to witchcraft charges? Explain your answer. What was Michael Mullett's conclusion about the impact of Reformation politics on the Lancashire outbreak?

Also, my mother would like to know where the floop is the guy who is supposed to fix the phone.

Thomas Pott's writings went to pot because he'd been so affected by Stephen Pumfrey's arguments about James I's Daemonologie.  In fact, it was so bad that Thomas Pott could often be seen at night dancing the mambo in a gazebo by himself.  

Marion Gibson, of course, invented the Gibson, which proved to be a most popular cocktail.  That was all the proof she needed.

I always found Lumbly argumentative, and I used to beat him about the neck and arms regularly for it.

Yes, John Swan supported Reginald Scot's claim.  Therefore, he got fifty percent of the claim, which was one of the biggest in the California Gold Rush.

Michael Mullet's conclusion was that he died whilst doing the Limbo.

The man who is supposed to fix the phone is in a diner eating a pulled meat sandwich.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:27:59 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »

Have you ever thought of giving readings like Sylvia Browne?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »

Does it bother anyone else that they are advertising on television to get people to learn Aircraft repair?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up