Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAYS OF REST, NIGHTS OF REHEARSALS  (Read 5480 times)

Ginny

Re: DAYS OF REST, NIGHTS OF REHEARSALS
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »

Glad to hear that Kristi and DR Jane both got good medical reports.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »

DR Vixmom, I'm glad you survived your whirlwind trip to St. Louis.  Did you wave when you flew over Ohio?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »

Belated Happy Anniversary to DR FJL and Skip!

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

Richard and I went to the Butler County Board of Elections yesterday for our early voting date, then out to lunch at the Athenian Greek American Grill in Sharonville (northern Cincinnati 'burb).  We even had Graeter's ice cream on the way home.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »

Belated Happy Anniversary to DR FJL and Skip!

Thanks so much, Ginny!

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »

I’m playing in HELLO, DOLLY! at a college in February. It’ll be full orchestra, piano/celeste for me, and my friend the MD would like it if I can cover the harp. We don’t see a harp book (or reference to keyboard coverage) on the Tams site and we won’t have materials for a while yet, so I’m wondering two things: 

Could that just be an omission in their listing? And is the rental orchestration more or less the original 1960s one? (I know they send the transpositions, too, so obviously those are altered.)

http://www.tamswitmark.com/shows/hello-dolly/

I haven’t listened to it in a while, and I don’t remember how original or how changed the orchestration was in the Channing revival that BK recorded.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:01:23 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »

Don’t know the Athenian, but I approve of the Graeter’s ice cream, DR Ginny.

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

Vibes for DR TCB!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »

The cats seem to be fine this morning.  Thatch's nose is cold and he's bouncing around, and Annabelle has dropped her neediness and gone back to lounging in her Fancy Feast carton.

Great news.

You didn't mention if you needed the video links I posted on how to check for dehydration.  Experience taught us to be a bit obsessive checking our cats when we suspected they didn't feel good.

I looked at the links and did nothing beyond that.  Thatch and I deal with each other in nontraditional ways.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »

I’m playing in HELLO, DOLLY! at a college in February. It’ll be full orchestra, piano/celeste for me, and my friend the MD would like it if I can cover the harp. We don’t see a harp book (or reference to keyboard coverage) on the Tams site and we won’t have materials for a while yet, so I’m wondering two things: 

Could that just be an omission in their listing? And is the rental orchestration more or less the original 1960s one? (I know they send the transpositions, too, so obviously those are altered.)

I haven’t listened to it in a while, and I don’t remember how original or how changed the orchestration was in the Channing revival that BK recorded.

I believe you can hear a harp on the OBC, and there may be cues in the original published vocal score, but there is no harp in the rental package to my knowledge.  That orchestration is based on the original but I believe it's been tampered with for both the tours and to cover missing instruments.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »

This made me laugh today.  It's so Annabelle.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »

The cats seem to be fine this morning.  Thatch's nose is cold and he's bouncing around, and Annabelle has dropped her neediness and gone back to lounging in her Fancy Feast carton.

Great news.

You didn't mention if you needed the video links I posted on how to check for dehydration.  Experience taught us to be a bit obsessive checking our cats when we suspected they didn't feel good.

I looked at the links and did nothing beyond that.  Thatch and I deal with each other in nontraditional ways.

I highly suggest you practice this while they are healthy to get a feel for doing it.  It is much easier to know when a dog isn't getting enough fluids than a cat.  Catch a serious problem in time and save a trip to the vet :)

Jane

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:40 AM »

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - very rough night, don't know why but I guess the chicken salad or bagel didn't agree with the Ny-Quil or something but just kept waking up feeling yucky.  I think I slept seven or eight hours though.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »

This morning I have a port flush and then my sister Paula and I are going to the Mooresville Goodwill store....which should be fun.

I had the HEAT on last night for the first time this year....everything seems to be working properly.

This morning, I was in my second floor extra room and noticed that that heater was on.  It's the first time that I noticed that any heater had come on.  I have it set to come on at 55°.  I also realized that my bottom floor heater has not yet come on at all!  What's up with that?  I checked that one and I had actually turned it all the way off!  No wonder it's been so cold up in my third floor bedroom!  I set that thermostat to 60° and will see how it all is.  It's really not worth it to turn the heat up much more because it ALL just goes right up the stairs and out my skylight.  I just want enough heat so that my pipes don't freeze (or my neighbors' again). :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »

I am back from the medical center where I took Kristi for her endoscopy. It was a one-year follow up after her surgeries last year, and everything looked fine.

Great news, ChasSmith!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »

Oh, my!  That's so funny! ;D

George

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »

Well, it's been OFFICIALLY announced, so I can now announce that I have been cast as Santa in Broadway Olympia Productions' upcoming production of the musical version of A Christmas Story! :D I'll also be in the Ensemble.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:34:55 PM by George »

George

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

You may now go back to your regular lives.

;)

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »

I’m playing in HELLO, DOLLY! at a college in February. It’ll be full orchestra, piano/celeste for me, and my friend the MD would like it if I can cover some of the harp. We don’t see a harp book (or reference to keyboard coverage) on the Tams site and we won’t have materials for a while yet, so I’m wondering two things: 

I believe you can hear a harp on the OBC, and there may be cues in the original published vocal score, but there is no harp in the rental package to my knowledge.  That orchestration is based on the original but I believe it's been tampered with for both the tours and to cover missing instruments.

Yes, there are cues in "Ribbons", "Sunday Clothes", and a few other songs. Tonight I'll take out the recordings and see what's what.

From your standpoint, would it be silly, or just plain wrong, to take down any of it using the vocal score and the OBC, to sweeten the pot a little? We don't have to do it at all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

In other HELLO, DOLLY! news, I just found out I'm subbing for the MD at the read-through/sing-through. He can't make the first rehearsal! :)

That's not till first week of December.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »

Dolly! Harp Vibes for DR CHAS SMITH.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

While at the Goodwill this morning looking for a fall type jacket....with a lining....which I found for $5.99 - I also stopped to look at the books and records and cd recordings.

And there among the country music and religious solo albums and boy bands were 12 - TWELVE - different cd recordings from Dino....the famous DINO at the piano of HHW.

I studied them all - and I decided I would buy ONE....so I chose Unforgettable Dino - the Pop Sessions which includes a medley of Unchained Melody/Everything I Do/Unforgettable, Wind Beneath My Wings, and several other ditties....ten in all.

It is most entertaining....next time I am there I will see what else is left.....

I also bought Bryn Terfel sings Rodgers & Hammerstein....which I have not listened to yet.

Oh and Dino's last name is Kartsonakis.....and he plays Baldwin pianos exclusively....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

My nephew married a woman 19 years his senior.....she has had him cut off communication with his family completely - it's a bad situation that needs not to be discussed in detail.....life goes on for my sister, her husband and his two sisters.

The wife who has several serious illnesses that no doctor can name or treat her for is crazy - for want of a better word - and of course he is complicit as well or he would say - they ARE my family....

ANYWAY she has been bragging on her Facebook page, which I look at occasionally, about the great job that he got and how much he loves it, etc.  I looked at the picture that she posted of one event he worked on.

I said to my sister - that looks like the place where Roe (our cousin's son) works.....so I happened to message him.....and asked does NAME work for you - he's my nephew.

ROE said....NO way!!!  I just hired him a couple of months ago, he's great.

I said tell him hi! 

HA HA!  His wife's head will explode when she finds out he's working with ONE OF US.....

Small world.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »

DR George, good news about the show!  Congratulations.

Did our DR TCB ever hear anything about his audition?

Jane

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »

This morning I have a port flush and then my sister Paula and I are going to the Mooresville Goodwill store....which should be fun.

I had the HEAT on last night for the first time this year....everything seems to be working properly.

This morning, I was in my second floor extra room and noticed that that heater was on.  It's the first time that I noticed that any heater had come on.  I have it set to come on at 55°.  I also realized that my bottom floor heater has not yet come on at all!  What's up with that?  I checked that one and I had actually turned it all the way off!  No wonder it's been so cold up in my third floor bedroom!  I set that thermostat to 60° and will see how it all is.  It's really not worth it to turn the heat up much more because it ALL just goes right up the stairs and out my skylight.  I just want enough heat so that my pipes don't freeze (or my neighbors' again). :P

Frozen pipes is not a good thing.  Do you know about leaving a little dripping water if it get very cold?

Jane

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

Well, it's been OFFICIALLY announced, so I can now announce that I have been cast as Santa in Broadway Olympia Productions' upcoming production of the musical version of A Christmas Story! :D I'll also be in the Ensemble.

Congratulations :)

Have fun.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »

I’m playing in HELLO, DOLLY! at a college in February. It’ll be full orchestra, piano/celeste for me, and my friend the MD would like it if I can cover some of the harp. We don’t see a harp book (or reference to keyboard coverage) on the Tams site and we won’t have materials for a while yet, so I’m wondering two things: 

Yes, there are cues in "Ribbons", "Sunday Clothes", and a few other songs. Tonight I'll take out the recordings and see what's what.

From your standpoint, would it be silly, or just plain wrong, to take down any of it using the vocal score and the OBC, to sweeten the pot a little? We don't have to do it at all.

I think piano-celesta is more important.  Is there a bona fide piano-celesta part instead of playing from the vocal score?

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

I think piano-celesta is more important.  Is there a bona fide piano-celesta part instead of playing from the vocal score?

Yes, it looks like there is.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 03:18:56 PM »

DR Jrand I feel very bad for your family, especially your sister, her husband and his two sisters.  It is funny though that he is working for family without his wife knowing.  Thank goodness the response to your nephew is the he is great.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up