Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GAMES PEOPLE PLAY  (Read 5979 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE GAMES PEOPLE PLAY
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 09:53:48 AM »

Here's a friend's take on the Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House

It spoils away, so read at your own risk.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - almost eight hours of sleep with very odd dreams.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07:13 AM »

If I remember correctly, the new Dragon Tattoo movie isn't even based on the second or third book, which is absurd.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

His description of Hill House is why I didn't continue watching the "miniseries" or whatever they call these things now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »

BK, did the latest CDs (Porgy, etc.) ship yet?

I'm thinking you said there was a delay, but I honestly don't remember and I just thought to check. Thanks!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »

Last night, I took my dear wife, Sandy, to the hospital.

She'd tripped in our back yard; fell flat on her face.

No broken bones, thankfully.  She's home, but pretty sore.

Oh, my goodness! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »

~~~Feel Better Quickly Vibes for DW Sandy!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

And I am home.  Joshie is off to a family wedding in Durham, NC, on Wednesday, so I will not see him until Monday,  I brought a score home with me to work on.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 12:16:04 PM »

His description of Hill House is why I didn't continue watching the "miniseries" or whatever they call these things now.

After reading that, I'm not even going to bother. We had planned to give it the low-expectation benefit of the doubt and watch the first couple of episodes. But forget it. That crap is worse than anything I ever would have imagined.

George

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »

Good morning.

Nice new avatar, Laura!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »

If I remember correctly, the new Dragon Tattoo movie isn't even based on the second or third book, which is absurd.

Is it based on the book?

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »

Is it based on the book?

Isn't it based on a new book authored by someone else?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »

Is it based on the book?

I know that.  It is very sad he did not leave a will and everything to his long time partner.  Instead his family got control and did what they wanted for money vs what he would have wanted.  At least that is the story I read.

ChasSmith

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2018, 12:33:37 PM »

If anyone wants to see Desperate Measures, time is running out.
http://www.playbill.com/article/off-broadways-desperate-measures-sets-closing-date?fbclid=IwAR2k7w7aKUe6dqSyZA2mi3PrfMU_qI4X8oekCA3u-1ayFMS7EIBmw28O2Y4

Highly recommended!

And I'm very interested in doing it if/when it becomes available.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:07 PM »

For anyone who ordered all THREE of the CDs, yes, we finally got Arlen in on Friday and they're all shipping now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »

For anyone who ordered all THREE of the CDs, yes, we finally got Arlen in on Friday and they're all shipping now.

Excellent! I've got Arlen and Porgy coming. Looking forward to these.

George

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »

Hoo and Ray!  Can't wait!

ChasSmith

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »

REALLY looking forward to Porgy and Bess, of course.

ChasSmith

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:44 PM »

In other news, I'm supposed to be playing in a small orchestra accompanying a one-time showing of Harold Lloyd's The Freshman in mid-November. That will be a first for me. Don't know yet whose music, but I'm thinking it's a new score. They don't have all the parts ready yet, and I know the two keyboard books are going to require some programming. But it's not all synth. Real orchestra, and there will be at least a dozen other players.

George

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »

Well, I need to go to sleep now.  I also need to get to work earlier than usual.  In December, they're changing the dates of when we get paid and that's causing a LOT of sturm und drang and angst and tsuris.  We currently get paid on the 15th and the last working day of the month.  They're going to change it to the 10th and 25th, so that we don't get paid before we actually turn in our time sheets.  Good idea, huh?

Clarification:  We have been getting paid on the 15th (or the last working day before that if the 15th is on a weekend) and the last working day of the month, but our time sheets are actually due a few days after that.  The problem has been if someone leaves employment but the payment process has been put in motion assuming a fully worked schedule, and the employee actually worked less than that.  Trying to get the employee to return money has been a BIG problem.  Rare, but big.

NOW, we'll turn in our time sheets within three days of the end of the pay period (the 18th or the 3rd...or days close to that), then the finance department will have the time to process them for paychecks to be deposited on the 25 and the 10th.  And no one will get paid for time that they haven't worked.

George

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »

In other news, I'm supposed to be playing in a small orchestra accompanying a one-time showing of Harold Lloyd's The Freshman in mid-November. That will be a first for me. Don't know yet whose music, but I'm thinking it's a new score. They don't have all the parts ready yet, and I know the two keyboard books are going to require some programming. And there are at least a dozen other players involved.

That's so cool, ChasSmith!

George

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »

DR Laura, you and Leonard have both been blessed with his showing up at the right time and place, but I also agree that a Calico of similar age would look perfect right next to him. You do need to think in terms of color complementing and decor, after all.

Juxtaposition is important. 

Remember the classic line:  If you've tried but really can't get rid of cottage cheese thighs, try making them look better; try putting a peach half next to them.

:))

George

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »

George

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »

And this was in the list of videos on the right side of the page:  "The Phantom of the Opera": A Non-Musical Adaptation by Kyle Walker.

George

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »

And, of course, this has been around a lot longer than the other two:  The Phantom of the Opera (David Staller 1991).  I actually purchased the released VHS tape of this version.  I don't think I've watched it since I got it back in the 90s.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »

Monday.  All Day.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »

Vibes for Sandy.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »

Is it based on the book?

It’s based on the fourth book, which I refuse l to read. Heard it was terrible. Might make an excellent movie then.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2018, 02:59:29 PM »

In other news, I'm supposed to be playing in a small orchestra accompanying a one-time showing of Harold Lloyd's The Freshman in mid-November. That will be a first for me. Don't know yet whose music, but I'm thinking it's a new score. They don't have all the parts ready yet, and I know the two keyboard books are going to require some programming. But it's not all synth. Real orchestra, and there will be at least a dozen other players.

You’ll have to watch the sequel, The Sins of Harold Diddlebock, as part of your research.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up