Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: VALENTINE'S DAY AND PANUFNIK  (Read 7667 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: VALENTINE'S DAY AND PANUFNIK
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »

Page 6
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »

Goodnight.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:23 PM »

And on that note (B-natural), I'm off.  Margo and I were supposed to usher for the opening night of Broadway Olympia's The Wedding Singer with Tom's and Jane's and my friend Sharry, but because of the weather and I would assuming cancelled rehearsals, they're postponing the opening until tomorrow.  However, they said that we can come and watch their new final dress rehearsal, so we will. :D

Be back later!

I'm back from seeing The Wedding Singer, and even though it was the final dress rehearsal, it was really well done! 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:41 PM »

Hi, Tom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:54 PM »

George

« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »

Sharry was a lot of fun! 

George

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »

She played the grandmother.

George

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2019, 11:53:34 PM »

I knew a few other people in the cast, so it was fun seeing them in the show, too. 

George

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:17 PM »

We didn't stick around afterward because they were just blocking the bows, and then would have to get out of costume and get notes, and all that, so we just left. 

George

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2019, 11:54:42 PM »

We both really enjoyed it and will actually usher tomorrow night as well as the previously scheduled Sunday evening.  Highly recommended by both of us!

George

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:43 PM »

We found out that another reason that they postponed the opening was that the leading lady has laryngitis and probably can't do the show. :-\

George

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:54 PM »

The woman who played it tonight was from the ensemble (so she was familiar with the show) and had script pages, but this was only her second time playing the role!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:58:44 PM by George »

George

« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2019, 12:02:11 AM »

Obviously, she would benefit with more rehearsal, but she definitely didn't embarrass herself. 

George

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »

Even if she has to perform with the script (and I've seen shows where that has happened), she sings really well and knows the role well enough to pull it off and have the audience be sympathetic to the situation.

George

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2019, 12:02:39 AM »

The leading guy was very good!

George

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2019, 12:05:46 AM »

He's a quadruple threat:  singer, actor and dancer....and VERY cute! ;)

George

« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »

There is one year that is memorable only because of what followed.  It was the first Valentine's in our first home and I was disappointed Keith hadn't given me anything and probably made a bit of a fuss.  What followed was Easter.  Keith went to See's and got me a big delicious milk chocolate, chocolate cream Easter Egg.  Then he made a BIG fuss I hadn't gotten him anything for Easter.  He had me laughing hysterically and the egg was a special treat.   

I then learned to just go with the flow.   Gift or no gift, for any special event, what was important were the little everyday things that showed he loved me.

That's very sweet, Jane. :)

George

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2019, 12:20:15 AM »

Be sure to read the HOA regulations.  There can be lots of restrictions.

You'd better believe it!

Many years ago I purchased a townhouse in Alexandria, VA that was part of a condo association. It was in a charming mews setting, but after a while I noticed that a lot of maintenance was simply not getting done. I spoke to my neighbors and many felt the same. We ended up ousting the board and putting in people who were more attentive and I -- for my sins -- ended up as president. A neighbor who was an attorney and I went through the bylaws line by line. They were written in such a way that virtually ANYTHING could be against the rules if the board wished to interpret it that way.

We got the maintenance done and found interesting little areas of neglect along the way. I sold not long afterwards and purchased a "fee simple" townhouse a few blocks away. In Virginia, "fee simple" means that you're not part of a condo association. There's an abutting wall, but no common property. For me, this was a much better arrangement.

Condo association boards can raise the HOA fee enormously and on short notice. This happened to a real estate agent I knew. She and her husband suddenly owed $4000 to the board for some repairs. They sold and moved to a "fee simple" townhouse.

Condos have advantages, to be sure, but much depends upon who is on the board. It would be advisable to learn if there have been any special assessments and for how much. For most of us surprises of this sort are not welcome.

I feel pretty fortunate.  My condo's HOA fees are only $215 a month, and all the buildings themselves have been well taken care of.  And in all the years I've lived here, we've only had one special assessment of $300 per unit for new roofs.

George

« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »

TOD:

I think Jane has the right idea: acknowledge acts of kindness in little ways.

That said, some flowers or chocolate are nice, too.  :)

Years ago I finally convinced Keith to stop buying roses for Valentine's Day as the cost was outrageous.  Sunday he took me to See's so I could stock up on candy. 

One good thing about them (among so many good things about chocolates) is that they can be frozen and enjoyed throughout the year!

George

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2019, 12:26:03 AM »

And on that note (B-natural), I'm off.  Margo and I were supposed to usher for the opening night of Broadway Olympia's The Wedding Singer with Tom's and Jane's and my friend Sharry, but because of the weather and I would assuming cancelled rehearsals, they're postponing the opening until tomorrow.  However, they said that we can come and watch their new final dress rehearsal, so we will. :D

Be back later!

Have fun and say hi to Sharry.

Thanks, it was fun.  I'll say hi to her tomorrow night.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up