Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BROADENING ONE'S HORIZONS  (Read 5001 times)

FJL

Re: BROADENING ONE'S HORIZONS
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 09:12:12 AM »

Page 2!!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 09:42:29 AM »

Can I work this topic to page 2 without getting too controversial?  :)

These new money laundering charges are far more damning.  Our youngest was an underachiever until graduate school.  Had I been offered the chance to bribe his way into USC, even knowing he would do the work, I would not have done it.  If Loughlin's daughter wasn't such a shallow flake Laughlin might not look like an idiot for even doing this.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:45:20 AM by Jane »

KevinH

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:46 AM »

Greetings from Newark International Airport!   I arrived last night and spent the night at an airport hotel.  My flight to DC was supposed to leave exactly at this time (12:51 pm), but is now delayed till 2:55

KevinH

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »

I had a really good time in Athens.   I would have liked to have gone to at least one island, but it didn't work out.  I  enjoyed a leisurely schedule.   My friend is a late sleeper so we didn't really get started till about 11:00am to 1:00 pm, depending on the day.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »

Welcome almost home.  Those are late starts to the day.  I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

KevinH

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:56 AM »

I really enjoyed the food.  The hotel had a huge spread for breakfast.  The scrambled eggs were diced (?) and I think they probably mixed butter in them.  They also had fried eggs, potatoes, mushrooms, beans, spinach or cheese pie, "gratinated" tomatoes.   Even mixed vegetables.  (and bacon and sausage for the meat lovers).  Of course Greek yogurt was featured.  I mixed it with delicious strawberry preserves and put it over bran flakes.     The bread was delicious.  There were several kinds of bread and rolls and those little pretzel-like things covered in sesame seeds.  Lots of other stuff too!

KevinH

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:23 AM »

Welcome almost home.  Those are late starts to the day.  I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks, DR Jane!

FJL

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »

Greetings from Newark International Airport!   I arrived last night and spent the night at an airport hotel. 

That really is such a good idea, to switch hotels like that, especially not to have to worry about things like traffic to the airport before a flight. 

KevinH

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »

I had a lot of authentic Greek food also, such as fava spread (made with yellow peas), Greek salad, tomatoes stuffed with rice, of course tzatziki sauce.   Of course I had pasta, but it was different from what I am used to:  noodles with mushrooms and a delicious sauce.  We even had pizza, which was good too.

KevinH

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2019, 10:03:28 AM »

Greetings from Newark International Airport!   I arrived last night and spent the night at an airport hotel. 

That really is such a good idea, to switch hotels like that, especially not to have to worry about things like traffic to the airport before a flight. 

Well, actually, FJL, my flight from Athens arrived too late for me to get a connecting flight, so I had to stay overnight.  The fares on Emirates from Newark to Athens were much cheaper than they were on other airlines, even when counting the cost of the hotel.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:12:50 AM by KevinH »

KevinH

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »

We went to  (what's left of ) some temples, including the temple of Zeus, Hadrian's Gate among other sites.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »

When I went to L.A. in 2011, I actually stayed pretty near the airport for the  trip, because our friend Joe who was in "Follies" was staying with friends who lived very close by the airport.

KevinH

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »

My friend pointed out an olive tree that had been transplanted to the grounds of a University ( I think !).  Anyway, it was approximately 800 years old.

KevinH

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:04 AM »

We saw Melina Mercouri's childhood home (an apartment)

FJL

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »

Getting  from the hotel to the area of the Ahmanson (where I saw "Follies" with my friend Harriet) and also the Taper was very quick. 

KevinH

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »

We went to three museums, each one fascinating.  The first was the Acropolis Museum.   Many of the floors are made of glass so you can see the ruins below.  It's mind-boggling to read how old some of the artifacts are.

FJL

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »

At the Taper,  I saw "Los Otros" with BK and got to meet his friend Michele Pawk who was co-starring in the show.

KevinH

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »

Next was the Archaeological Museum.  It was really amazing.  It had a large section of just ancient vases.   

FJL

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2019, 10:10:55 AM »

The drive had been  very easy on the weekend, though I guess there would have been traffic during the week.

KevinH

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »

The last was the Byzantine and Christian Museum.   In visiting all these museums, I realized how little I know about Ancient Greece, etc.    I never knew, for example, how large the Greek empire was at one time.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »

And then of course, getting to the plane from the hotel was very easy.

But switching hotels - I don't think I've ever done that, except  during weeks-long business trips, like in Atlanta on an AT&T job years ago, when the room rates changed a lot and everyone in our group on that job changed at the same time because if the room rates.

KevinH

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »

Just got a message from United Airlines.  My flight is now delayed until 3:25 pm.   At this rate I could have taken a train to the city and seen a matinee.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »

I hoped to get us to page 3 to make up for some E&T-ness, but not now, I guess.

KevinH

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

And then of course, getting to the plane from the hotel was very easy.

But switching hotels - I don't think I've ever done that, except  during weeks-long business trips, like in Atlanta on an AT&T job years ago, when the room rates changed a lot and everyone in our group on that job changed at the same time because if the room rates.

Actually, FJL, I've switched hotels many times, usually because I saved a lot of money!

FJL

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »

Just got a message from United Airlines.  My flight is now delayed until 3:25 pm.   At this rate I could have taken a train to the city and seen a matinee.

Or maybe it doesn't always work out.  :(

Do you have access to that nice United club?

FJL

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »

Well, actually, FJL, my flight from Athens arrived too late for me to get a connecting flight, so I had to stay overnight.  The fares on Emirates from Newark to Athens were much cheaper than they were on other airlines, even when counting the cost of the hotel.

Oh, I see.  I'd go back and delete my irrelevant posts, but I think Bk would rather have the extra irrelevant posts.  :)

FJL

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 10:20:49 AM »

The last was the Byzantine and Christian Museum.   In visiting all these museums, I realized how little I know about Ancient Greece, etc.    I never knew, for example, how large the Greek empire was at one time.

When they did that "Grease" revival where all the students looked 35 or more - that's the closest I've gotten (so far) to seeing ancient Grease.

FJL

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »

I had a really good time in Athens.   I would have liked to have gone to at least one island, but it didn't work out.  I  enjoyed a leisurely schedule.   My friend is a late sleeper so we didn't really get started till about 11:00am to 1:00 pm, depending on the day.

Is that your friend in your avatar photo?  He looks very nice.

(Kidding.)

FJL

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »

Hmm, page 3 may be near after all.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »

When they did that "Grease" revival where all the students looked 35 or more - that's the closest I've gotten (so far) to seeing ancient Grease.

:D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up