Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FAIRLY NON-DESCRIPT DAY  (Read 4060 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE FAIRLY NON-DESCRIPT DAY
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:11 PM »

We've moved to symphony three, which I heard earlier - within the first minute I know I prefer the other version conducted by Neem Jarvi, who was the dedicatee of the symphony.  It's more forward and seems to have more sensitivity and openness.  But I really like the work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »

Fascinating to hear these two performances.  The one now playing glosses over everything, there's no warmth and glow to it, and it is literally four minutes faster than the Jarvi - Jarvi a bit over twenty-five minutes, this a bit over twenty-one.  I'm always intrigued by how one "gets" to you and others don't.

Laura

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »

jan, my cat Joshie was a recurring character here on HHW until he passed away two years ago. He is the best cat I've ever had, and I won't ever have another one like him.

I was going to take my time and carefully choose my next kitty. I haven't chosen a cat since I was about ten years old. My daughter always chose them or they just showed up.

Leonard showed up as a kitten in October. It seemed like fate. However, he doesn't really like me.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »

Joshie was a feral kitten that I tamed, and he didn't like me either for a long time. But after a while he decided he adored me. I have hopes that when Leonard grows up, he will do the same.

jan

• cats are happiness in fur coats
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »

Kitties can be so pissy when it comes to their people.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »

Curiously, I've neither received a copy nor been alerted to its publication by the Moross family!  I am very excited that it's finally in print.
https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemen-Be-Seated-Complete-Vocal/dp/1542614171/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=gentlemen+be+seated+moross&qid=1555339194&s=books&sr=1-1-fkmrnull&fbclid=IwAR2YVeKCCyqfcSifiVX64efFfiJFnCdOsP_UH26NxX_GQGQMrr5Ud9puyso

Excellent news, Elmore. Glad to see your name in print.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »

On to my favorite food store. No almond croissants today. I asked one of the employees, "They only leave one almond croissant each day?" (An outside vendor supplies them.) "No," she replied. "They leave four. They have a large fan base." I guess I'm not the only one who really likes them.

It is difficult to find good almond croissants.

This is a crime that could be easily corrected. But given my blood sugar lately, it's probably for the best that I can't get my hands on one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2019, 08:52:31 PM »

Those of you with kitties, please post pictures so I can admire the beauties.

Ditto, please.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:44 PM »

Now I'm listening to music of Arvo Part, someone whose music I know nothing about.  It's certainly from the minimalist school of minimalism, so imagine Philip Glass with soul and religiosity and you imagine what you'll get.  What's fascinating to me is that Mr. Part, at 83, the THE most performed living composer in the world and has been for years.  Does anyone know his music?  Apparently his violin and piano piece, Spiegel im Spiegel, has been used in a ton of movies.  I'm listening to Fratres, Tabula Rasa (now playing), and then I have his four symphonies (on one CD - none of them are long).  Curious to hear other opinions.

Absolutely love his music. I have several pieces on chamber music compilations, and I've heard a handful performed at various concerts. I think it's that soulfulness that I react to. It's very Eastern European to me.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »

Happy 77th Birthday to Ms. Barbra S !

And happy 204th to Anthony Trollope!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »

Arvo Part symphony number two is even weirder and more twelve-tone and serial than symphony one - it may even be thirteen tones.  And then suddenly at about 3:30 into the final movement, it turns completely tonal and appealing, with a great tune.  It's almost like a lightswitch went on and said, "A tune, my kingdom for a tune." He throws in one crash as if to say, "I haven't given up yet on the loud, but I will soon."

I don't know any of his symphonies. I will have to correct that.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:54 PM »

My friend Bonnie started feeding a cat who showed up in her neighborhood one day. This was six or seven years ago. He was a mess and he hated anyone who came near. Hissed and spat and tried to bite and claw. She named him Spitzer, or Spitty for short, and didn't give up on him. She got him to a vet, who had to knock him out in order to treat him.

He's now a lap cat, but only with her. Her ex could never touch him, which drove him crazy. This past weekend was the first time that Spitty jumped up on the couch while I was sitting there, and once he even snuggled next to my leg. He even let me pet him once or twice and only lightly. Progress. 
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »

I ushered tonight for the non-union tour of Spamalot. I had forgotten almost everything about the show, except for a couple of the songs and some of the more famous lines from the movie ("Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.")

It was a lot of fun. The audience loved it and laughed heartily. Yet there were several things wrong. The "orchestra" was only about five or six performers with an overwhelming emphasis on the synthesizer. And the cast could sing, act and get a laugh, but they lacked the out-sized personalities of Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, Sarah Ramirez and Christopher Siebert. All of the characters, if you can called them such, were indistinguishable. It made the story ho-hum. And I'm sorry, but Python has never really been ho-hum.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »

Hello, 2 guests!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:08 PM »

What is your favorite Python sketch?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »

The Ministry of Funny Walks?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:41 PM »

Semaphore Wuthering Heights?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »

The Summarize Proust Contest?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2019, 09:11:07 PM »

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »

Listening to Sing Out, Sweet Land, which I have long wanted. Wonderful performances. Can't fault Alfred Drake at his finest, Burl Ives with Big Rock Candy Mountain and Bibi Osterwald with Casey Jones.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2019, 09:23:22 PM »

On the same disc is Drake singing Weill's Down in the Valley. Toni Morrison mentions Weill in one of her essays, which I'm listening to now in the car. The reader pronounces it Wheel and she pronounces Wagner's Ring as if he were related to Robert Wagner. Oy. Double oy.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »

On that note, I'm off to bed.
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »

Not a big fan of Python, but I do like the migrating coconut discussion.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »

Lady Jane, I don't officially have any cats.  I have two, sometimes three, that I put out food and water for.  They are very skittish and won't let me near them but one is edging closer and acts like she wants to be petted so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed.

Jane

« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »

18 years is a good long life.  I am tired of having my heart broken.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:46 PM »

Never say never so I suppose it is possible we will have a cat or dog again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »

Arvo Part symphony number two is even weirder and more twelve-tone and serial than symphony one - it may even be thirteen tones.  And then suddenly at about 3:30 into the final movement, it turns completely tonal and appealing, with a great tune.  It's almost like a lightswitch went on and said, "A tune, my kingdom for a tune." He throws in one crash as if to say, "I haven't given up yet on the loud, but I will soon."

I don't know any of his symphonies. I will have to correct that.

Get the Neeme Jarvi disc called Tabula Rasa on Deustche Grammaphon - that has the third symphony.  Start there.  On the complete symphonies CD I don't like the performance of the third, but the fourth is very nice, although there's a single CD of that recored at its premiere.  I'm not sure you need to bother with the first two as their pretty extreme.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2019, 10:11:36 PM »

My friend Bonnie started feeding a cat who showed up in her neighborhood one day. This was six or seven years ago. He was a mess and he hated anyone who came near. Hissed and spat and tried to bite and claw. She named him Spitzer, or Spitty for short, and didn't give up on him. She got him to a vet, who had to knock him out in order to treat him.

He's now a lap cat, but only with her. Her ex could never touch him, which drove him crazy. This past weekend was the first time that Spitty jumped up on the couch while I was sitting there, and once he even snuggled next to my leg. He even let me pet him once or twice and only lightly. Progress. 

Awww.  I have a friend who, after a long time peariod, now has 2 indoor cats that had been feral.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

I have a feral fingernail.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »

I shall be in the hot shower for the next little while.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up