Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: O FOR TUNA  (Read 3942 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: O FOR TUNA
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 05:12:38 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 05:12:50 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 05:13:27 AM »

The use of "O Fortuna" (and the following piece "Fortune Plano Vulnera") in umpteen action/fantasy/medieval/you-name-it movie trailers is laughable. And now when they do use something else (whether original or not, I wouldn't know), it's invariably in the same style and in the same key (D minor) as those. I think we can say that Carmina Burana has been test-marketed to HELL and back.

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »

Interesting notes about Carmina Burana, and the Jochum recording in particular.

When I was just out of high school, the Ormandy recording was my introduction to the piece (and to Orff), and its beauty and musicality will always hold a top place for me. For years I'd try others and just not be attracted to them for various reasons. A few years later while in college I bought the Jochum LP, mainly because I'd been taken with Deutsche Grammophon recordings, but I found it disappointing, too. I don't recall what other ones I may have sampled back then, but there weren't very many at the time.

I eventually let that Jochum recording go, and many years later the Robert Shaw/Atlanta one on Telarc became my new favorite, right up there with Ormandy's. In spite of any differences in concept, I thought Shaw was Ormandy's equal in his handling of the piece, and the playing and singing were beautiful. So now I had two go-to's whenever I needed my fix.

Over the intervening years I tried the Stokowski, which I found very dull- or weird-sounding on the LP, and Previn's which I found simply dull, musically, even though it was very well recorded. In the 1980s Levine recorded it with Chicago and his tempos and precision were refreshing to these ears. And I still loved me my Ormandy and Shaw. I eventually acquired the Stokowski on CD which was much more listenable and revealing than the copy I'd had on vinyl, so it, too, happily joined the ranks.

And then... and then... this was just a year or two ago — I forget where I was reading about it, but I came across someone raving about the Jochum recording. Whatever they said made me think it was the right time to give it a listen after so many decades, and:  Wow! I thought it was excellent, and couldn't for the life of me reconstruct why I'd rejected it or found it dull or lacking back in the day. I do love it when something comes back around like that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:44:29 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 05:51:45 AM »

My, that was long-winded.

It just happens that both Ormandy and Jochum recorded Orff's "Catulli Carmina" to ride that wave. I have no idea how generally popular (or not) that piece came to be, but though I value those recordings (they're probably the equal in excellence of each one's "CB"), it is simply not as lovable (at least for me) as "Carmina Burana". And I'm afraid I haven't ventured into Orff's other waters even though I've intended to for years.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 05:57:34 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2019, 05:57:54 AM »

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2019, 05:58:38 AM »

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your condo victory, DR TCB.

I've never heard of either real estate agent contributing ANYTHING toward closing costs or any other costs.
Vixmom, is this a "thing" anywhere?

I was right, though -- that seller got pushback from the appraisal, and from TCB's unwillingness to bend, and BLINKED. And in a good way. What a wonderful outcome.

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:51 AM »

That's an excellent one, DR Laura.

Laura

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2019, 06:07:53 AM »

Wow, TCB. That's quite a deal you got on the closing. I never heard of the agents kicking in on closing costs. *fistbump*

Laura

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2019, 06:08:07 AM »

And congratulations on your new home!

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »

DR George said:
I'm burning a Blu-ray disc!  Larry came over and showed me the steps to record from my DVR to my Windows XP computer.  Specifically, the process only works on Windows XP computers from older model DVRs (where you can record only two programs at once) using a firewire cable.  He found that once you upgrade to Comcast's new Xfinity (four recordings at once), it's not posdible to do this.  I'm SO glad that both my DVRs are the older model, and that these actually still work with Comcast's upgraded lines. :D

Congrats on getting this learned in one session. When I first tried it (with DVDs - I don't yet have a Blu-ray burner), the first couple of attempts went fine and then my laptop started misbehaving and refused to capture more than a few minutes without freezing up and skipping frames or whatever it was actually doing. So I had to give up for a while. I've subsequently acquired the MacBook Pro, and the company whose software I was using has now made it available for the Mac, so I'm hopeful that this far superior machine will be the answer.

And yes, the older DVRs are golden! I've had to resist Xfinity's efforts to get me to "upgrade" tooth and nail in order to keep the old box with its (in my case) component connections. I told Comcast that "my early plasma TV" doesn't have HDMI, so I ain't going for it, and so far, they've bought that. The deal is that HDMI has copy protection built into its specs, so if something isn't allowed to be copied, it simply won't transfer over HDMI from the DVR. It's all part of their evil plan. But that protection doesn't exist on the component or firewire outputs (either of which carries HD just fine, thankyouverymuch).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2019, 06:20:44 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:52 AM »

This is the first morning I've left my bed with no headache, toochache, eyeball ache, or runny nose.  When the alarm rang at 8:00, I lay on my bed, feeling quite lazy, and dozed for nearly an hour, enjoying the breeze, with Annabelle lying next to me and Thatch leaping about and burrowing under the blankets.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:22 AM »

DR TCB, I am so happy for you!

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »

Congratulations on your decent morning, DR Elmore.

ChasSmith

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2019, 06:26:14 AM »

When are you next out of Facebook jail? I can't keep track. :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »

So many great choral pieces!
Poulenc's Gloria
Verdi's Requiem
Brahms' German Requiem and Alto Rhapspody
Britten's War Requiem
Handel's Messiah
I think I prefer Bach Cantatas and Christmas Oratorio to the Mass in B-Minor or St John Passion
Dvorak's Mass in D
Rachmaninoff's Vespers
Bernstein's Chichester Psalms
Anything by Mozart
Haydn's Creation
John Rutter's Requiem and Magnificat
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:49:15 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2019, 06:30:51 AM »

When are you next out of Facebook jail? I can't keep track. :D

I think it's about 10 more days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2019, 06:33:39 AM »

DR Laura, I loved Gopher Tuna!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:37 AM »

BK, you know there are two companion pieces to Orff's Carmina BuranaCatulli Carmina and Trionfi di Afrodite!
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=carl+orff+trionfi&i=popular&crid=32WLEGCDLXMXS&sprefix=carl+orff+trion%2Cpopular%2C125&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15

I have the Jochum set.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:48:06 AM by elmore3003 »

Laura

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 06:39:49 AM »

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2019, 06:41:48 AM »

I forgot about the TOD!

DR Elmore knows so many more of these than I do, and that looks like a great list.

I do love that Poulenc, and for anyone who likes Stravinsky, I'd add Symphony of Psalms.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »

And my last thoughts on Carmina Burana.  It was written to be staged and I wish there were more staged/choreographed productions on film.  I do like Jean Pierre Ponnelle's staging very much.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 07:14:10 AM »

This is the first morning I've left my bed with no headache, toochache, eyeball ache, or runny nose.  When the alarm rang at 8:00, I lay on my bed, feeling quite lazy, and dozed for nearly an hour, enjoying the breeze, with Annabelle lying next to me and Thatch leaping about and burrowing under the blankets.

Wonderful.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2019, 07:19:35 AM »

I have heard of agents making up the difference between what the buyer will pay & what the seller will accept.  Sharing the cost of the closing costs amounts to the same thing and I wondered if they would chip in.  I didn't expect the seller to pay half after reducing the price.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »

Again Tom, congratulations.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2019, 07:35:27 AM »

Congrats to DR TCB!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2019, 07:35:48 AM »

Ending the doom vibes for MR BK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2019, 07:36:36 AM »

Mostly I download things and burn them on my computer.....I think I have a DVR - but I don't use it.....

I will go with DR ELMORE's list for the TOD.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up