Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY EARLY  (Read 3159 times)

Ginny

Re: A DAY EARLY
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:21 AM »

TOD - I've been watching THE CROWN on Netflix and have one more episode in season 2.  That will be my viewing for today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »

I admit I enjoy it when it works, but I do think the dramatic line gets crossed when bodies are on the screen when they really don't 100% need to be for the drama or song.  I loved "South Pacific," but when John Kerr's tone was so lovingly filmed, even as a kid, it shifted from being about Lt. Cable to what incredible shape the actor John Kerr was in.

When Stephen Spinella stripped down onstage even in "Angels in America," looking emaciated, if you thought only that's Prior Walter naked and emaciated rather than "So that's what Stephen Spinella looks like naked, still kind of sexy, even though so unusually thin" you are a better playgoer than I.  I hope even a great  actor isn't chosen over other great actors especially for his ability to look emaciated. 

Likewise for pecs and abs, and (as Maltby says, I'm not complaining) it does seem that some actors in "South Pacific" were chosen with eye appeal for the camera as part of the thought process.

But really, I'm not complaining - yer it's worth noticing even when geniuses are at work why certain choices were made.   

(I hope we're not there as a society yet, but worry we may already have been in the 1990s even with some award-winning plays, that equally excellent actors may be quietly chosen with unspoken regard to how well their private parts "read" on the stage, all talent and correctness for the role being equal.)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:06:07 AM by FJL »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »

Haven't the physical attributes always been inherent in choices of actors and actresses?

I personally find no issue with a little eye candy here and there and I don't think it takes me out of the show.

As far as having some good looking male bodies on screen I say go for it, I care not for the directors motivation...if someone brings in a box of candy for me to share, I for one shall dive in, no questions asked
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2019, 10:29:38 AM »

As that's all I have to say about that
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - not sure how much sleep I got as I was up a few times, but I was in bed by one and asleep soon thereafter, so maybe I got eight hours overall.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »

On that site that listed What If for license - I ultimately traced the contact person on Google, found a gmail address and wrote her - she just responded, so now I can ask the question.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »

Apparently Audra McDonald and Michael Shannon are fully nude at the start of Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de la Lune.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »

Big fuss about that in the reviews.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »

Had a lovely lunch of a clam boil with sausage and corn. Then an overpriced boring ice cream sandwich.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »

Apparently Audra McDonald and Michael Shannon are fully nude at the start of Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de la Lune.

That's one I'd forgotten about. I saw it at the Mark Taper around, oh, hmm.... late 1980s? I don't even remember who I saw in it! But I believe they were both very good.

John G.

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »

That's one I'd forgotten about. I saw it at the Mark Taper around, oh, hmm.... late 1980s? I don't even remember who I saw in it! But I believe they were both very good.

Was that Kathy Bates in the original? Stanley Tucci and Edie Falco were in the revival, as I recall.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »

What If mystery solved:  Apparently, right after the show closed, I had a meeting with this gal and her then-partner and we talked about them licensing it.  She thinks I said go ahead and let's see what happens, which is probably accurate, but we never signed anything.  She said she'd get the guy to take it off the site, along with the lyrics.  Very nice gal - it was all very pleasant.

FJL

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »

Was that Kathy Bates in the original? Stanley Tucci and Edie Falco were in the revival, as I recall.

I saw Julie Walters and Brian Cox starring in it in London on the West End in 1989.

John G.

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »

I saw Julie Walters and Brian Cox starring in it in London on the West End in 1989.

I’ve never seen it. Not even the movie.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »

~~~Excellent Preventative Vibes and Xylophones for BK!!~~~

DITTO!

Jane

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »

DR TCB thank you for noticing that wasn't Keith 😊

Jane

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »

I must remember to go to the new building today when I get to work.

That is important ;D

Jane

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »

GOOD GRIEF!!!

DR JANE I am sorry I mislabeled the picture.....I was doing several things at once and I should NOT multitask......

LOL you are forgjven.  I appreciate you sharing my photos.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »

What If mystery solved:  Apparently, right after the show closed, I had a meeting with this gal and her then-partner and we talked about them licensing it.  She thinks I said go ahead and let's see what happens, which is probably accurate, but we never signed anything.  She said she'd get the guy to take it off the site, along with the lyrics.  Very nice gal - it was all very pleasant.

Good.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »

I need to dry my hair so we can go to bed.

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »

Found the program. I saw Kathy Bates and Kenneth Welsh. It was in Nov.-Dec. 1988.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

Good pick-up rehearsal and then I picked up no packages nor the important envelope, which should have been here today.  If it doesn't arrive tomorrow it's going to be a rather hellish and scary weekend.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2019, 01:40:01 PM »

We had a wonderful day in Versailles.   Years ago we did a boring bus tour from Paris and were only given 20 minutes to explore the beautiful town in the rain.  Today we took the train there and walked around on this beautiful sunny day.  We then met up with a toyr and our excellent tour guide.  What hasn't changed are the crowds.  We could barely move at times.  Getting out to the gardens was a relief.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »

Another walk around the town with a stop for pizza and drinks which included a delicious French wine Blanc Sauvignon for me.

Jane

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »

A bit more walking and yummy gelato before returning to the train back to Paris.

Jane

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »

We were not ready for the day to end and stopped at the first outdoor tables with room for all 4 of us.  It turned out to be an Armenian restaurant.  Apitizers and beer for the guys, wine for me, which I did not finish, and soda water for the 4th person in our group.

John G.

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2019, 02:28:24 PM »

We were not ready for the day to end and stopped at the first outdoor tables with room for all 4 of us.  It turned out to be an Armenian restaurant.  Apitizers and beer for the guys, wine for me, which I did not finish, and soda water for the 4th person in our group.

Bad wine or not enough time?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »

TOD - I've been watching THE CROWN on Netflix and have one more episode in season 2.  That will be my viewing for today.

Mom loves that. I will have to find time for it.
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 02:34:06 PM »

This was linked by  Alan Scott on All That Chat, saying simply on the Signature theater site that

"Editor’s note: Since the printing of this article, Sondheim is no longer collaborating with David Ives on the project."

https://www.everythingsondheim.org/everything-we-know-and-dont-know-about-sondheims-surrealist-collaboration-with-david-ives/?fbclid=IwAR2OA2CWl3F4Tr-DLHq8O9ts6yNq-rvGw6UqV97eSNySu0Dv4WH8M3kbr0Y

Jane

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 03:12:54 PM »

Bad wine or not enough time?

While not as good as the wine earlier it was ok.  I just didn't think I should drink anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up