Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND WE WANT TO MARRY YOUR WOMEN  (Read 20582 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND WE WANT TO MARRY YOUR WOMEN
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:00:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about the derivation of today's title, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home from marrying our women.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 12:01:21 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:AND WE WANT TO MARRY YOUR WOMEN
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 12:04:35 AM »

Jose posted towards the end of the previous day's posts...
DR JMK et al...

Have you checked out Mainely A Cappella?

They really do seem to have almost every single available vocal group recording in stock, as well as a great selection of sheet music.  And they also carry a lot of the arrangements and recordings from the college groups.

http://www.a-cappella.com

I'd also suggest www.singers.com
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:05:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: MISCREANT!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 12:12:45 AM »

Oh, Sweet Lord of the Apes! I am here. I have heard downtown LA is a bit of a ghosttown, but that would suggest there were even ghosts here.  I think I am the only person staying in this hotel. Well, not really, but it is kinda lonesome.

Lunch with BK. An honor and a privilege. Despite the Shakey's debacle, a fine meal of crispy-top pancakes like none I've ever encountered. BK, willing to answer my infinite questions about The Creature Wasn't Nice. A good time was had by all. All of me, at least!

Afterwards, I rode down the 101, and I thought I'd get off on Hollywood Blvd. Get off the highway, that is! Get your mind out of the gutter. I drove down that thing, and well, it ain't exactly majestic. But what can you do? I could have used a better map.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 12:15:50 AM »

I missed Shakey's because while shaving at my sister's place in Berkeley, I kid you not, her spigot fell off and water started spraying all over the place, and here I was, nude, half-shaven, trying to shut the water source off, and save her hair dryer and curling iron from destruction. It was comical... Until I missed Shakey's.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 12:21:58 AM »

An odd thing: being around at midnight, I was typing in yesterday's discussion, and it would not submit because it had been locked. I am used to being able to write until 3am. Whole new mindset out here, folks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 12:25:32 AM »

But now you get to post in the new notes until three am.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 12:26:07 AM »

MISCREANT!

I really should toddle off to the bedroom environment, but I think I'll hang out for another few minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 12:26:24 AM »

And we want to marry your women.

Jed

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 12:30:30 AM »

I missed Shakey's because while shaving at my sister's place in Berkeley, I kid you not, her spigot fell off and water started spraying all over the place, and here I was, nude, half-shaven, trying to shut the water source off, and save her hair dryer and curling iron from destruction. It was comical... Until I missed Shakey's.

Oh, c'mon, THAT old chestnut?  You could at least have come up with a more original excuse! :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 12:32:08 AM »

I'll do it, too! Just you watch.

I wanted to speak of harmony groups, since I missed out on that. The Four Aces, as some mentioned: One of the all-time greats. If not really as harmonically precise, as say, the Hi-Los, they are more fun. If you want a marvelous album, find their HITS OF BROADWAY LP. They do some really uncommon stuff. A marvelous version of "You Are Beautiful". Great LP. I mean great.

You know who has really great harmonies that really shine on their LPs? The Cowsills. You can't beat family members for harmony. To that end, the country father-daughter duo The Kendalls and the Louvin Brothers have some really mind-bending harmonies.

I think I am done with harmony for now, except to wonder if anyone remembers Les Compagnons de Chanson, a French 8-man harmony group from the 50s that had the original hit with The Three Bells? Good stuff!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 12:33:09 AM »

Oh, c'mon, THAT old chestnut?  You could at least have come up with a more original excuse! :D

You leave my chestnuts out of it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 12:34:06 AM »

I rather liked the Four Preps and the Four Aces and The Maguire Sisters and the Barry Sisters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 12:36:41 AM »

The reason I made Laurel and Hardy the topic is because I am woefully unaware of their films.  I have this humungous box set from England, which has most of their output, so I need to know what I should watch first.  Of the films I know, I love Way Out West, and their little song and dance routine is one of the most sublime things ever put on the screen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 12:37:17 AM »

MISCREANT!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 12:39:24 AM »

On the way down here, I was a scofflaw and drove in the "diamond lane" to get through San Jose. It was a bad thing to do, but totally exhilirating!

I also stopped to use the restroom at the Madonna Inn near San Luis Obispo. This place is renowned (to my Aunt Bea and Uncle Jim anyway) for having a men's room where the urinal is a big cascading waterfall over rocks. So I had to try it out.

Jed

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 12:44:19 AM »

My goodness, such excretionary elegance!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2005, 12:45:26 AM »

This here miscreant knows nothing about Laurel and Hardy.  And he'd like to know how Aunt Bea got to see the urinal at the Madonna Inn.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2005, 12:46:42 AM »

Laurel and Hardy have never quite done it for me. But I've probably only seen 4 of their movies. I think I don't like the set-up of one dumb but sweet guy who is always screwing things up for  
the other guy who ends up mad all the time.

Okay, before folks start wishing I take another prolonged road trip, that is enough posting from me!

Tomorrow I will watch four consecutive basketball games.

JRand, send me your mailing info.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2005, 12:49:08 AM »

This here miscreant knows nothing about Laurel and Hardy.  And he'd like to know how Aunt Bea got to see the urinal at the Madonna Inn.

Okay, you forced another post out o' me. Uncle Jim was so impressed, he actually called Aunt Bea into the men's room to check it out! The lady at the front desk there told them it happens all the time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2005, 12:52:52 AM »

At three o'clock in the morning, I felt a nibbling at my ear.  No, not a nibbling, a full fledged CHOMP.  Benny, who has been featured in many a fine photo here at HHW of late, had decided to wake up and be hungry.  His brother, Baxter, was hungry as well.  To this end, Benny had decided it was time to wake me up.

I set the twosome on the floor, and they followed me out to the dining room.  Alas, not only was their puppy chow bowl empty, so was the bin where we've been storing their chow.  Down to the basement I went, to refill their bin, and back up to the dining room, where they waited not-quite patiently.

Since I was up, I decided to catch up on the notes and postings here at HHW.

The lively duo is/are now romping around, yipping and wrastling with each other.  At nearly four in the morning.

Tomorrow night, they can sleep on der Brucer's bed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »

Tomorrow I will watch four consecutive basketball games.

All I have to say is...  GO HUSKIES!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 12:54:58 AM »

Okay, you forced another post out o' me. Uncle Jim was so impressed, he actually called Aunt Bea into the men's room to check it out! The lady at the front desk there told them it happens all the time.
I thought that had to be what had happened.

Der Brucer and I have spent many a weekend near the Madonna Inn, doing political stuff with Log Cabin.  We never actually went in the place, but the stories we've heard... ::) ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 12:55:42 AM »

All I have to say is...  GO HUSKIES!!!
Shouldn't that be... Mush Huskies???

8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 01:08:36 AM »

The pups have settled down, I think.  They have chowed, they have visited the corner where we've laid down newspapers, they have wrastled.

If they aren't ready to go back to bed, they can always eat my ear again.  I didn't mention before that Benny drew blood when woke me up.  Yum!  Puppy teeth can be so very sharp!   ::)

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 01:11:56 AM »

I think I am done with harmony for now, except to wonder if anyone remembers Les Compagnons de Chanson, a French 8-man harmony group from the 50s that had the original hit with The Three Bells? Good stuff!!!!
Les Compagnons often accompanied Edith Piaf - (on a version of "Les Trois Cloches" too). "Moulin Rouge"  - the film theme is another of their better remembered tracks here in OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2005, 01:44:46 AM »

s woody white and der brucer-

do they still have the yum yum martini on the menu at Cafe Zeus?
Have fun at the chocolate festival if you go.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2005, 01:47:27 AM »

Ah, Rodzinski, you are in sunny So-Cal. How I envy you.
This week has been brutal on the East Coast.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday. I'm planning to bring Sharon with me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2005, 02:29:25 AM »

Don't forget my Arch Hall, Jr., DR RODZINSKI.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2005, 02:36:12 AM »

My two choices for Laurel And Hardy films - and these are shorts I saw in various compilations -

BIG BUSINESS - they are selling Christmas trees and end up tearing down Jimmy Finlayson's house while he destroys their car.

BATTLE OF THE CENTURY - a big pie fight erupts when a pie is delivered to a fighter (Stan) and his manager (Oliver).  The reactions of everyone, especially the girl who falls on a pie are priceless.

Good place to start.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up