Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE FETTLE  (Read 16397 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FINE FETTLE
« on: March 11, 2005, 12:00:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're in fine fettle having read the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home (in fine fettle or, at the very least, in some kind of fettle).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 12:00:50 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:FINE FETTLE
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 12:06:59 AM »

Media check...

DVD - empty at the moment, but thinking it's time to throw The First Nudie Musical in soon
VCR - Dr. Strangelove
CD - A Little Night Music OBC
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 12:19:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLATITUDINOUS!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 12:23:15 AM »

No word of the day?

CD: I have been listening to the Nathan Lane expansion of FROGS. Very amusing.  Mr. Sondheim is good form.  Also a BK collection of Sondheim numbers culled from various BK-produced Sondheim albums.  And Billy Barnes' Divas which features, among others, A Little Lift.  

DVD/VIDEO:  My Granfather's home movies that my brother transferred to video some time ago...and will probably dive into the third volume of SCTV sometime this weekend.

ON THE NIGHTSTAND:  An historical book called RAKES, which is profiles of famous mad, bad, and dangerous-to-know British Rakes from Charles II's time to Victorian times.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »

BK, let me know when the Mission Hills paperback show is.  I may join you there.  It's like the old Glendale Book Fairs used to be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 12:39:52 AM »

Paperback show is Sunday - let's GO!  I'm gonna head up there around ten or ten-thirty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 12:40:27 AM »

PLATITUDINOUS!  Or, at the very least, PLATYPUS!

Nobody here but us chickens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:12 AM »

I've never seen such a display of WUSSBURGERISM as we've been having for the last week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »

Well, the Wall Man is coming between seven-thirty and eight, so perhaps I'll toddle off to the bedroom environment to get some needed beauty sleep.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 03:13:37 AM »

DR JOEY - I am seeing FROZEN this weekend as well....what day are you going?  It is a disturbing play, but I am friends of two of the three performers.  LeBron and Dianne are super - Martha I can take or leave her....she gets on my last nerve....

And don't forget that the Phoenix does offer a student discount so be sure to ask for it when you get your ticket.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »

The Wall Man.  I think that was a Lon Chaney Jr movie wasn't it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 03:16:53 AM »

FRIDAY MEDIA CHECK

DVD - Strangers When We Meet.  I liked this movie more than I remembered.  Beautiful house, I wonder if it did roll down the hill this year with all the rain?  Beautiful score.  And we got to see Romanoff's and The Albatross.  AND Kim Novak.  I am not much of a Kirk Douglas fan, especially when he is supposed to be a ladies man - but Barbara Rush and Ernie Kovacs were also terrific!

CD - The Langley Schools Project, Dueling Divas courtesy DRGEORGE.

VHS - Cool & Lam a 1958 pilot film for a series that never was produced, and no wonder.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 03:17:09 AM »

Who would want coarse fettle?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 03:30:15 AM »

My Christmas Roses in my tiny garden: I wonder why it’s called Christmas Rose…they not bloom in Christmas time or they don't belong the rose family...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 03:36:34 AM »

I watched a good antiwar film “Johnny Got His Gun” this afternoon, this is the first time to see it and I’m still overpowered with the impact of the original technique to express the war tragedy and with its own power. And Johnny’s voice will never go away from my ears and my mind. This my feeling is quite similar to the one which I had when I watched “All Quiet On The Western Front”.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2005, 03:52:47 AM »

Good morning, all!  Another B&N day, and I may even pick up the bundle of books waiting for me there.  I've heard a rumor we have more snow on the way, but I make no promises, DR Danise, about next weekend.

DRHisaka, I've always wanted to see JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN; the novel it's based on had quite an emotional kick when I read it in the mid-1970s.

TOD:
DVD:  Wonderfalls
CD:    Haines His Way
         Jeepers Creepers
         Ziegfeld Follies of 1936
VCR:  Babes in Toyland (Drew Barrymore)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2005, 04:04:08 AM »

You always up this early Elmore?

I just finished approving pages for tomorrow's exciting edition of the Pac-10 Tournament Program. The games today were not bad, but by far the most exciting moment was at halftime, when a guy made a shot from halfcourt to win a new Pontiac. I mean, the crowd just went NUTS! It was crazy.

Rodzinski fans can see plenty of me on TV during Pac-10 tournament action, as I am plainly in view at the press table when one team has the ball. Look up near the basket at the table, where I sit behind the very laptop on which I type these words. I wonder when the agents will start calling...  My mother was excited anyway.

JRand-email me your mailin' address and I'll get you that CD, which is dang good.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 04:08:02 AM »

Alright, Sleep is demanding my attention. Night!

Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 04:24:00 AM »

I never saw the movie version of JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN (is there only one with Timothy Bottoms as Joe?) but I did see the Circle Rep production starring Jeff Daniels in 1982. It was a one man show and it was and is still one of the finest pieces I have ever seen in the theatre. I could barely move out of the theatre after the performance. I don't usually write fan letters but I wrote a letter to Mr. Daniels about the power of the piece and his performance.

Mr. Moore and I and Hisaka and sometimes Michael Shayne are usually the early morning denizens on the east coast.

Right now I'm listening to BBC Radio Scotland. What a wonderful dialect. It's one I could not do well in my performing days (perhaps it's my Irish background) but I do love to listen to the Scots speak.

I have misplaced my CD copy of Damn Yankees. When I got the CD I passed my tape copy on to a friend and now I can't find any copy of DY in the apartment. Anthony is auditioning for the show next week and he wanted to listen to it again but I can't find it. How odd for me who has everything alphabetized and categorized. I can't find it anywhere. Oh, well. I may have to go to the library and borrow a copy or even, g*d forbid to the store and purchase a copy! At least I have my copy (copies) of Forum, for which he is also auditioning (he has a callback tomorrow for Hysterium). I have a Bay Cities copy of Forum produced by You Know Who.

Don't know what else I will listen to during the day, other than the last part of the Harold Arlen bio on BBC Radio 2. Perhaps Sweet Charity and some other CDs which are in my desk.

We have a family party tomorrow afternoon in Brooklyn so we won't watch anything and I'm going to the theatre on Sunday afternoon, Moonlight and Magnolias, a play about the writing of Gone With the Wind.

I'm slowly working my way back up to tolerance on the exercise bike. I'm up to 45 minutes a day again. During the holidays I stopped exercising regularly because we were so busy and also on LI for much of it. I'm now happy to report that I have been diligently exercising every day for the past two weeks and will hit one hour on the bike sometime this weekend. Just pop a tape in the VCR and I will ride like the wind.

7:30. I need to wash my oatmeal bowl and get to work. Robert Wood Johnson is calling. I'll be back in and out during the day.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 05:25:43 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 04:24:52 AM »

And during that long patch of verbosity I became the only person here. Oh, well. It's not PLATITUDINOUS but it's real.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2005, 04:57:38 AM »

Yes I am usually up this time in the AM usually Monday through Friday. I get ready to go to work and I like to drop and read. Sometimes I don't have anything to post until later in the day.

BTW Shayne is the last name not the first.
Call me Michael, Mike, Mikey (I don't hate everything) or Mickey
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2005, 04:58:54 AM »

Thanks Jose for the links. I will look at them after work today.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2005, 05:00:02 AM »

Haven't decided what I will watch on DVD or listen today. I have been basically letting my IPod do shuffle play.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2005, 05:01:01 AM »

Hello Larry!
Would you like to do Brunch on Saturday or Sunday during the Penny O Weekend?
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 05:04:50 AM »

You always up this early Elmore?

DRRodzinski, on Fridays and Saturdays I'm always out of bed by 6:30 am; it takes me over an hour and a half to prepare for Barnes & Noble.

I've just walked back from the corner market; it's snowing large fluffy clumps of snow, which is quite lovely.   I've had my yogurt and coffee, and I'm waiting for a couple of eggs to boil (lunch).  

DRBen, tell Anthony I send him positive vibes on landing an audition.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2005, 05:05:25 AM »

Hey all.  I am very sick today! :(

For those who were asking about WICKEDLY PERFECT (DR Stuart, DR Ron...) I had to skip most of your posts on the subject.  Because I missed the finale. :(

My tv guide only had the regular 1 hour show listed.  So imagine my dismay when I was watching it later and heard them say there was another hour.

Good news is they play it on a Canadian station too here.  And they only showed one hour last Saturday.  So it is listed for this Saturday at 10pm.  Anyhow I was not too happy with the F2.  Although I really want Mitch to win.  Hate Kimberly and thought it was totally unfair that she came back.  Her craft was stupid and sure she was slightly photogenic on camera.  But as if anyone would watch a show with her on it.

The whole system of letting them vote each other off was wrong. How are you ever going to find the BEST if you let the contestants get rid of the best ones. The judges should have been the ones to vote people off.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 05:06:38 AM »

Hello Larry!
Would you like to do Brunch on Saturday or Sunday during the Penny O Weekend?

DR MichaelShayne, Sunday brunch would be a treat and a pleasure.  Have you booked your room, and where is it?

The WOD has me thinking:

Some feel it platitudinous
To stifle attitude in us
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 05:07:46 AM by elmore3003 »

Michael

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2005, 05:07:49 AM »

Jennifer,

Isn't a Canadian version of American Idol? Does it get the same notice in Canada as the American version.

Getter better vibes to you
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2005, 05:10:02 AM »

DR MichaelShayne, Sunday brunch would be a treat and a pleasure.  Have you booked your room, and where is it?

The WOD has me thinking:

Some feel it platitudinous
To stifle attitude in us

Yes I booked the room at the YMCA. Reasonable rates and I took the nicer rooms with the shared bathroom/showers. So I will be up near your neck of the woods. Broadway and 63rd (I think. Have to check for the actual street #)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2005, 05:12:49 AM »

I find that as a word, platitudinous, to be a banal, bromidic and a clichéd word.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 05:14:54 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up