Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: UNSEEMLY BUTTOCKS  (Read 20259 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:UNSEEMLY BUTTOCKS
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »

Why is Jose the only one posting such posts?  Let's hear from others.

FLIBBITIGIBBIT.

I am in need of a nice long hot shower, which I shall now take.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2005, 08:11:40 PM »

Holy moley on rye - page five!  I thought we'd never get there.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »

It's been a slow day around these parts. My telephone has not rung a single time, and I have managed to get groceries shopped for; spaghetti cooked and eaten; laundry washed, dried, folded, and put away; tax information readied for the accountant on Wednesday, and two movies watched plus three network shows in high definition and DEADWOOD recorded for viewing tomorrow (along with NUMBERS which was finally shown in the dead of night last evening).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »

We also had another of those glorious pseudo-spring days, but it may be the last for awhile. The long range forecasts don't put the highs out of the 40s-low 50s for the next five days.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2005, 08:15:25 PM »

I guess tomorrow, I will begin the boxed set of CSI:MIAMI Season Two (unless something interesting comes in the mail tomorrow).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »

Part Three of "Sunday In New York City With Jose"
or
"How I Ate My Way From 14th and 9th Ave. Up to 168th and Broadway"

After leaving the Times Square area, I followed Broadway over the left as Broadway does goes toward the left once it reaches 59th Street if you're heading uptown.  This brought me back to the Time Warner Center.

I did not go down to Whole Foods this time!  -Today was my first "Whole Foods Free Day" since I've been here!

Instead, I took the escalators up to the third floor, and just walked around each floor checking out the shops and soon-to-be-opened restaurants.  I don't know how I missed them the first time I was there, but the views of Central Park South from the upper balconies are spectacular.  I spent a few minutes watching the sun finish setting on Columbus Circle.  After a brief stop at the Aveda salon - I needed shampoo - I headed back down to the street level.

-I purposely avoided the Williams-Sonoma on the ground floor.  It's the largest one on the East Coast - even carries some of their "catalog only" wares and foodstuffs.  One day... -When I have some "mad cash"...

As I walked back outside, I took the remaining half of the Nine Grain Bagel (yes, probably not really a bagel-bagel since it had nine grains, but...) that I had bought to accompany my soup down at the Chelsea Market - and knoshed on that as I continued my walk up Broadway.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2005, 08:39:14 PM »

Part Four of "Sunday In New York City With Jose"
or

The sun had truly set by this time, and the lights of the various signs up and down Broadway lit the rest of my journey.

I almost stopped to see a movie, "Millions", but decided that tomorrow will be my movie day.  There's also a French Film Festival at Lincoln Center this week, so I may be spending some time there this week too.  After I walked past the Loew's Theatres, I noticed a man on the sidewalk handing out flyers...

"Beard Papa's Fresh 'n Natural Cream Puffs"

:D

These have been discussed here on HHW before.  I believe DR Hisaka was the first one to bring them up.  Well, there was no line, and the young gentleman handing out the flyers held open the door for me, so...

The best $1.25 I've spent so far!  *Well, I spent $2.70 since I bought one Original and one Green Tea flavored one.  I didn't sample the Original one until I was back at the apartment, but it was well worth the wait.  Sooooo good.  -And even though they advise eating them immediately, it wasn't too bad after sitting for about two hours.  The puff/crust still had a nice flaky crunch to it, and the vanilla filling was finger licking good.  Literally, since it was generously filled with the stuff.  I shall have the Green Tea one in a little bit...

http://www.muginohousa.com

Well, it was getting close to 7:00 by this time, and I wanted something substantial.  Well, since I was in the 80's by this time... Artie's!  -One of the delis of choice for some of the DRs of this site.

This was my first time at Artie's.  I seemed to have arrived at the end the dinner rush.  My waitress was a bit frazzled, but in a good-natured way.  For my first meal there, I opted for the Potato Pancakes - I like them with both applesauce and sour cream.  Glatt Kosher I am not.  And a Chopped Liver sandwich.  The latkes were very good, and since the waitress kept missing "them" each time they came up, I ended up with some very "fresh", right out of the oil potato pancaked.  Very good.

*I noticed that a young woman sitting at the table across from me had ordered them too.  However, she only at the inside of them.  She sort of peeled off the crunchy, crispy crust, and just ate the softer inside.  ???  -Just order mashed potatoes why don't you?

The Chopped Liver sandwich had to be one of the best Chopped Liver Sandwiches.  Yes, I know, Chopped Liver may not be to everyone's liking, but like it I do.  Good rye bread too.  -And pickles and cole slaw...

http://www.arties.com

I then headed back out onto Broadway... And continued trekking northward...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 08:41:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »

Spring Break!! Woo hoo!! What more is there to say?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2005, 08:47:45 PM »

For the last hour or so, Peggy and the Pups (who der Brucer has dubbed "the Brindle Boys") have been wrastling, making quite a racket in the process.

End of news.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2005, 08:51:12 PM »

Suggested title for BK's next book:

The Filipino That Ate Manhattan!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :D ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D :D ;) :D ;D :D ;) :D ;D[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2005, 08:52:25 PM »

Part Five of "Sunday In New York City With Jose"
or

Well, the cold had gotten colder, and the breezes had gotten breezier...

I continued walking up Broadway checking out various menus along the way.  West Side Diner.  Time Cafe.  Aix.  Some high-end sushi place.  Etc., etc., etc...

I finally headed into the subway at 93rd Street, and took the 1 train back up to 168th Street.

After walking back to apartment, I sorted out my various wares from the day.  -That's when I finally tried the totally dee-lish Beard Papa Cream Puff.  And licked my fingers.

-Wasn't there something about licking on this site in the past few days?

;)

Then I went ahead and bundled myself back up, and headed to Jou Jou, a local coffee house just across the street from the Presbyterian Hospital.  I ordered a large coffee, and took a seat at one of their tables up front.  They have free, high speed, wireless internet access.  So, I've been reading and posting from here/there for the past two hours or so.

Their website is http://www.joujoucafe.com - at least according to their business card, but I'm not able to bring it up right now.  Hmm...

-The dessert case behind me is filled with some amazing goodies.  So far, so good.  I am resisting.

And that finishes my ambulatory/culinary adventure for today.  For now.

-Remember, I still have the Green Tea Flavored Cream Puff in the fridge back at the apartment...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2005, 08:53:33 PM »

Suggested title for BK's next book:

The Filipino That Ate Manhattan!

I'm wondering now if "Simbulan" is Tagalog for "Zagat"?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2005, 08:56:54 PM »

Hmm, let me think about that, MBarnum.  If that paperback was published in the Forties; then, yes, that model would be just about the right age for you now.

LOL TCB, you are starting to sound like DR Elmore3003 now!

Actually, that paperback was from teh 50s, so really I would be robbing the cradle!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2005, 09:01:52 PM »

Sweet honey in the horn! Rodzinski is back on the Ice Coast.

Thanks to all who attempted to find my ugly mug on the tube. Jed was quite correct as to where I was. What a good eye! I actually wasn't wearing the glasses, which may have thrown some folks off. I did hold up BENJAMIN KRITZER several times during the first half. I had to pretend I was using it as a writing surface, so I'm not sure how visible it was. I had been spooked by the omnipresent Staple's Center security. The Stanford Tree mascot was ejected from the premises on Friday night!!

I did manage a swift trip to a Shakey's on Sunset Blvd. It was really something. The mojo potatoes were perhaps not as large as I remembered, but every other aspect of that buffet had not change one iota. Maybe you can't go home again, but you can go to Shakey's again.

MBarnum, due to reading your movie magazine, I purchased the DVD set of ROGER RAMJET cartoons, so I am excited about that.

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2005, 09:01:57 PM »

Why is Jose the only one posting such posts?  Let's hear from others.

Now BK, I filled almost a whole page with posts of sleazy vintage paperback novels just for you! Does that not count for anything?!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2005, 09:02:55 PM »

BK - DR Hisaka suggested Tumi luggage for your carry-on.  Tumi makes wonderful luggage.  It is a bit pricey, but worth it.  The quality is evident in the look of their pieces down to the construction of their pieces.  Probably the last carry-on you'll ever have to buy.  But, be forewarned, you may experience some sticker shock.

There are Tumi stores in the Beverly Center and the Century City Shopping Center.  There line of luggage is also carried in many Luggage Shops.

http://www.tumi.com

If you don't want to go the Tumi route, just go to any mall, and I'm sure you'll find some luggage store.  Macy's, Dillard's, Hecht's, etc., also carry luggage.  And they're usually on sale too.

Do you already have a separate bag for your laptop?  If not, the Apple Store does carry some larger bags that will store both clothes and your PowerBook.

Oh, and I've always liked the bags/luggage that L. L. Bean carries.  Alas, their retail stores are only located on the East Coast so far - and only five of them.  -Two in the DC area!  But there's always mail/internet order...

http://www.llbean.com
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »

MBarnum, due to reading your movie magazine, I purchased the DVD set of ROGER RAMJET cartoons, so I am excited about that.

I am happy to have been of assistance in your shopping frenzy!

Did you see any movie stars in Hollywood, Rodzinski??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2005, 09:06:06 PM »

By the way, BK - and DR elmore - I brunched today with John, who you, BK, may remember from your Bay Cities days - and you, DR elmore, know from more recent days.  In any case, John was one of the buyers for Tower Records and he remembers you walking in the latest releases from time to time.

And it looks like he'll be at the book-signing next week too!  With a friend or two in tow!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2005, 09:06:27 PM »

Jose, just make it 194th and Broadway, and you can stop by for a snack!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2005, 09:07:15 PM »

Dr MBarnum - Well, I liked the sleazy paperback covers.

Maybe you could try out the self-timer feature on your digital camera and recreate one of those covers personally.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2005, 09:08:57 PM »

Jose, just make it 194th and Broadway, and you can stop by for a snack!

Is that your neck of the woods?  I'm just down at 170th and Broadway.  We could meet at the Cloisters.  Or under the GW Bridge!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2005, 09:09:08 PM »

The lone non-athlete star I saw (aside from BK) was Tom Selleck, which was a pretty good sighting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2005, 09:11:08 PM »

...Or one of those Chinese-Latin places up the street!  Love 'em!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2005, 09:11:50 PM »

The lone non-athlete star I saw (aside from BK) was Tom Selleck, which was a pretty good sighting.

That is a good sighting! I like Tom Selleck!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

Hearing quite a ruckus from der Brucer's room, I went to check.  "I think they're under the bed," he told me, so I lay down on the floor to check.  And that is when.....

[size=20]THEY JUMPED ME!!![/size]

Two ferocious little puppies sprang from under the bed and pinned me down, swatting at my face with their sharp-clawed little paws and trying to decide whether 'twas more fun to chew me or just lick me to death!

Sorry, no pictures this time.

But it's sure better than what's been on FoodNetwork tonight.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

Is that your neck of the woods?  I'm just down at 170th and Broadway.  We could meet at the Cloisters.  Or under the GW Bridge!

;)

Ha! Yes, woods indeed. The Fort Tryon Woods. There is an old lighthouse underneath the GWB. We could meet atop it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2005, 09:14:16 PM »

OH!

And Welcome Back to NYC, DR Rodzinski!

Would you like a Cream Puff?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2005, 09:16:26 PM »

OH!  And the Chelsea Market is also where The Food Network films many of it's programs.

-Thanks for the prompt DR SWW.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »

Thanks Jose! Fax me a cream puff, please.

What has Tom Selleck been up to lately anyway? Last thing I remember was a short-lived sitcom with the mom from GROWING PAINS, Joanna Kerns.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2005, 09:17:33 PM »

Don't pay Jose any heed, MBarnum.  Those covers are not sleazy.  They might be shoddy, trashy, cheesy, dare I say common, but they aren't...

Oh, wait, I just double-checked my thesaurus.  Never mind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up