Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: I THINK I'M GONNA LIKE IT HERE  (Read 19633 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I THINK I'M GONNA LIKE IT HERE
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2005, 08:00:04 PM »

I had read about people not being able to find the boxed set at various retailers, but I just assumed the retailers didn't stock many because the films were older classics. I've certainly seen THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and BRINGING UP BABY being sold as separate items.

I'm glad to have the entire box.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Excellent Night's Rest Vibes~~~~~[/move]
for dear elmore
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2005, 08:04:21 PM »

That's why I bought the boxed set even though I already had the previous release of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY. The films ended up costing about $8 apiece, and I certainly couldn't find them individually for that price, so I gave my old TPS to my dear friend John and kept the new one in the box for myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »

[sigh] I watched MEDICAL INVESTIGATION with a sad sense of resignation tonight knowing that next week's episode is probably the last ever for the series. I will be sorry to see it end next week.

LAW & ORDER: TRIAL BY JURY had another surprising episode. I finally figured out the truth right before it was made clear to us, but I, too, was fooled for a good part of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »

I saved the second disc of extras on MARY POPPINS for another time since I spent the better part of two days watching the film one time through to look at the anamorphic picture and hear the new sound mix and then today watching it again but with the commentary turned on. At one point, Karen Dotrice was commenting about something, and Richard Sherman asked her how old she was when she made the film. She wouldn't answer because she said people could do the math and know how old she was! Good lord!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »

Also, attending the reading, but not Joe Allen's, was DR Iris. And the youngster Jenny, who has not posted much in recent times. And, of course, Jose and PennyO.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 08:22:24 PM by Rodzinski »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2005, 08:21:28 PM »

Also, attending the reading, but not Joe Allen's, was DR Iris. And the youngster Jenny, who has not posted much in recent times.

And neither came to Joe Allen's!  I see you're safely home, DRRodzinski!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm reading, I'm reading...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2005, 08:21:53 PM »

Will Iris and Jenny be joinig us at Penny's show tomorrow?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2005, 08:26:56 PM »

And neither came to Joe Allen's!  I see you're safely home, DRRodzinski!

Safe and sound!
Iris will not, that I know. I don't believe Jenny will, but I am not 100% on that.

vixmom

« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2005, 08:33:13 PM »

So was the reading wonderfully womderful?  I have never been tot he Drama Bookshop, what is the space like?  I have been imagining tables and food and singers and listeners all crowded around a piano which bk perched upon while reading selections from his book....

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2005, 08:33:19 PM »

I just made a handy dandy $125.00 at the Bay of Ezekiel selling old DVDs, CDs and videotapes.  I always love the total illogic of the Bay of Ezekiel.  CDs you could go down to Border's and get for $7.00 go for over $20.00 (plus my exorbitant shipping fee, LOL).

Does anyone have any favorite eBay descriptions?  One of mine (which I've seen with minor variations) is:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]RARE!!! SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK LP!!!![/move]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2005, 08:33:31 PM »

The reading, singing and signing were splendid.  It was lots of fun putting screen names and avatars to real faces and bodies.  And, lo and behold, there were actually some people there who were neither a Hainsie nor Kimlet.  The "mystery people".  ;)

It was great finally getting to meet DRs Danise, WFO and Joe, Rodzinski, and Jenny; and re-meeting DRs Ben, MichaelShayne, and Iris.  And seeing DR Penny O again too!  ;)

And if it "sticks", DR Danise may be posting via her PocketPC and WiFi Card!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2005, 08:34:09 PM »

It sounds like a great evening!  Someday...soon, I hope, I'll be able to make it to a regional HHW Gathering! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:28 PM »

Jewish Thighs went well tonight too.  We had more than five people in the audience tonight too!  ;)

...I'll leave the rest of the details to PennyO to post at her convenience and discretion.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2005, 08:35:28 PM »

I'm still at work, but not for long!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2005, 08:36:10 PM »

Part one:

Can 'Cats' win over Russians?    

By Sophia Kishkovsky International Herald Tribune

Saturday, March 19, 2005

MOSCOW"Cats," the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical that made a record run on Broadway, London and around the world has opened in Moscow, where musicals are still associated with the 2002 hostage-taking of an entire theater by Chechen terrorists during a performance of the musical "Nord-Ost."
.Those two shows are also now linked through their actors. Several who performed in "Nord-Ost" are playing in "Cats," part of a new caste of Russian performers who specialize in musicals, which are still relatively new to Russia, a sign of a hunger here to catch up to Europe and the United States in terms of mass entertainment and consumer culture.
."A viewer walks in and understands that this is a brand, that this is what he paid money for," said Dmitri Bogachyov, general director of Stage Holding Russia. He said the Russian version cost "millions of dollars," but declined to be specific. (His company is part of Stage Holding, the Dutch theatrical production company that has staged "Cats" and other musicals, including "Mamma Mia," the ode to Abba, and Lloyd Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar," around Europe.)
.On Friday, a red carpet was laid out at the theater for the premiere and for the arrival of Lloyd Webber, making his second visit to Moscow; his first was in 1989 for a two-night showing of the German version of "Cats."
.Bogachyov also produced "Nord-Ost" and "12 Chairs," the musical version of a Soviet satirical classic. He said the choice of "Cats" for Russia was made only after much market research and efforts to avoid past mistakes, like the staging of "42nd Street" in 2002 - in English, with American actors.
.Grizabella, Mungojerrie, Skimbleshanks and Deuteronomy are singing "Pamyat" for "Memory," in a translation that hews almost literally to the original adaptation of T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." The cats' names are simply transliterated into Russian. Aleksei Kortnev, an actor and pop star who wrote the libretto for, and starred in, the Russian version of "The Witches of Eastwick," translated "Cats."
.Bogachyov is counting on Russian literary pretensions to draw a high class of viewers to "Cats" - "he is a Nobel laureate" he said of Eliot - and moderate ticket prices, starting at 400 rubles (about $14.50) and ranging to 1,600 rubles, to keep the masses coming.
.Bomb-sniffing dogs patrolled the premises before Thursday's packed preview and security guards guarded the Moscow Palace of Youth Theater, a behemoth of the Soviet era that has been revamped for this production, the viewing hall turned into the traditional "Cats" dump, the foyer ceiling painted and lit to resemble a starry night.
.Christine Cartwright, the resident director of the original London production who was involved in preparing this show, came to Moscow to prepare for the premier.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2005, 08:36:24 PM »

...Of course, as I was leaving The Drama Bookshop, I realized that no one had taken a group picture there, so...

Cameras tomorrow!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2005, 08:37:51 PM »

I just made a handy dandy $125.00 at the Bay of Ezekiel selling old DVDs, CDs and videotapes.  I always love the total illogic of the Bay of Ezekiel.  CDs you could go down to Border's and get for $7.00 go for over $20.00 (plus my exorbitant shipping fee, LOL).

Does anyone have any favorite eBay descriptions?  One of mine (which I've seen with minor variations) is:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]RARE!!! SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK LP!!!![/move]

is anything sold on ebay NOT rare?  :D

Is anybody selling the aforementioned recently departed WB set?  I was planning to get it as I am a big Hepburn fan and Stage Door is one of my favorites....now don't cringe when I say this Matt H... but I may have to settle for just watching my old VHS tapes.....

vixmom

« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2005, 08:39:18 PM »

...Of course, as I was leaving The Drama Bookshop, I realized that no one had taken a group picture there, so...

Cameras tomorrow!

WHAT!!! Not even Danise with her nifty new disc that holds three million shots?!   :o

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2005, 08:39:34 PM »

DR Iris will not be at the show tomorrow night due to a previous commitment.  -Which is why she came Wednesday night (instead).

DR Jenny may or may not make it.  She hasn't been able to keep up with the board as much lately, so she didn't realize that tomorrow night was the "official" HHW Night at Jewish Thigns.  But she may make it sometime next week schedule-permitting.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2005, 08:39:59 PM »

Part two:

"'Cats' has been traveling around the world for a long time already and we're very glad that we have the opportunity to bring it to Russia," she said in a television interview. "This is one of the most famous musicals in the world. This is a very important event for us, since Russia doesn't have a rich tradition of musicals."
.The Moscow version is now the only stationary production of "Cats" in Europe. Bogachyev said he hopes it will help lure tourists to the city. Tickets appeared to be in great demand. Stage Holding said that advance sales had reached 20,000 as of March 11. During an interview, Bogachyov dealt with several callers seeking tickets, even asking that a message be conveyed to someone calling from the Kremlin: "Let them buy tickets," he said cheerfully. He seemed pleased that he has successfully merged the talents of a Dutch, English, German, Spanish and Russian production crew.
.It was tough going. Casting took much longer than expected, five months instead of two, and was done by people on the British side of the production. They gathered a troupe of actors from Moscow, St. Petersburg, Minsk and Kiev. Several pop stars were auditioned, apparently, but were rejected for being too wooden and incapable of singing live.
.The concept of swing performers able to play several roles was introduced and proved timely because the dance and movement in "Cats" takes getting used to for Russian performers and has resulted in several injuries.

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: March 18, 2005, 08:40:36 PM »

Cats amongst the Mouskevites. Interesting article François.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: March 18, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »

WHAT!!! Not even Danise with her nifty new disc that holds three million shots?!   :o

DR Danise did snap a few shots, as did DR Michael Shayne, but there was no "OK, Everybody! Group Photo!" call.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2005, 08:42:12 PM »

It sounds like a great evening!  Someday...soon, I hope, I'll be able to make it to a regional HHW Gathering! ;D

Hey, what were Jane, MB and I, chopped liver?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2005, 08:42:20 PM »

DR Iris will not be at the show tomorrow night due to a previous commitment.  -Which is why she came Wednesday night (instead).

DR Jenny may or may not make it.  She hasn't been able to keep up with the board as much lately, so she didn't realize that tomorrow night was the "official" HHW Night at Jewish Thigns.  But she may make it sometime next week schedule-permitting.

That's a shame, I was looking forward to meeting them...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2005, 08:43:38 PM »

And I have to say that DR Jenny is quite the striking young woman in person.  And her presence belies her high school junior "status".  -Or something like that.  "belies" - Is that the right word?  Is that a word?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2005, 08:44:25 PM »

And DR Rodzinksi... WOOF!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »

I did take a group photo at the very end of the evening.

The signing, reading, and singing went very well.  A lovely group of folks.  As always, about twenty people who said they'd definitely be there didn't show up.  I scratch my head in wonderment.  It was really fun doing the songs "live".  There were some interesting folks besides our splendidly splendid group - including composer/lyricist Doug Cohen (No Way to Treat a Lady, The Gig), and a very nice fellow who posts at All That Chat.  There were a couple of others I didn't know at all, and who left before I met them.  We sold a few books, the food was nice, but the best were the folks.  I didn't like the whole vibe of the bookshop.  When I normally do signings, there is someone in charge who handles everything, tells people what to do and where to go, and introduces me.  That didn't happen.  The man who arranged the signing had to go home before it began.  His associate went home before it began.  Everyone was very nice, certainly, but I found the whole thing confusing.  I hated the downstairs dungeon where the reading took place.  But the upstairs room where we had the party was very nice.  More in the notes.

vixmom

« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2005, 08:46:06 PM »

And I have to say that DR Jenny is quite the striking young woman in person.  And her presence belies her high school junior "status".  -Or something like that.  "belies" - Is that the right word?  Is that a word?

yes

Main Entry: be·lie
Pronunciation: bi-'lI
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lied; -ly·ing
Date: before 12th century
1 a : to give a false impression of b : to present an appearance not in agreement with
2 a : to show (something) to be false or wrong b : to run counter to : CONTRADICT
3 : DISGUISE 3
- be·li·er /-'lI(-&)r/ noun

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up