Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 11183 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:51:03 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes, like the city, have not slept, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, although that won't be any time soon since the cows, like city, never sleep.  They just keep rollin' along, just like Ol' Man River.  I have NO idea what the HELL I'm talking about, so just go ahead and start posting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 10:05:33 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

And the word of the day is: PERFUNCTORY!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 09:58:26 PM »

This topic appears below yesterday's for some reason. Mighty confusifying...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:02 PM »

Ah, that's better.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »

Meridian may not be anything special, but Prime Meridian, that's the good stuff.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »

PERFUNCTORY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:07:27 PM »

Favourite American magazines of my childhood were Saturday Evening Post, National Geographic and, later, Mad Magazine.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 10:07:58 PM »

Putin's visit to France is quite... perfunctory!
There!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:10:40 PM »

I am fading.  Someone do something BRILLIANT to give me my second wind.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 10:12:23 PM »

I like Au Bon Climat; Qupe; Montes...those are wines, now magazines...

MAGS:  I too loved Mad as a boy.  My parents got Life, Look, and The Saturday Evening Post...and I looked at every one of them every week.  I've been reading PLAYBOY since I was a boy until I let my subscription finally lapse this past fall.  When they start have columns about video games , it no longer has relevance for me and I can't even read the articles anymore.

When I was a boy collecting books...I subscribe to ERB-dom, ERBania (Both Edgar Rice Burroughs fan mags) and AMRA which was a very classy fanzine for fantasy that had a lot of eminent authors writing articles.  I'm still a member of the Burroughs Bibliophiles and get their mag, The Burroughs Bulletin.

I used to love SHOW magazine and the short-lived Show Business Illustrated.  I also loved old Liberty magazines when I could find them.

These days I subscribe to Men's Health, Cincinnati Magazine, Mystery Scene Magazine, The Week, and American Theatre (which comes with my TCG membership)...

I also get the Dramatist Guild magazine and other union publication from my various guilds...most rather boring.  I used to subscribe to Plays International and really should again.

Like BK, I am a fan of Scarlet Street.

François de Paris

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 10:13:28 PM »

Something BRILLIANT like in ... brilliantine?

Oh... the milkman has arrived!

I'll be back! -- now, that's far from brilliant! --

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 10:18:48 PM »

BK- For immediate brilliance you may appreciate, check out this website called secretfunspot.com
Look in the gallery called "Truth in Ads" which features a lot of the scam toys and pranks sold in comic books throughout the ages, and the one called "Adams Pranks" which features prank toys from the 50s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »

I, too, loved Show and Show Business Illustrated - never missed an issue of either.  That's when they knew how to put out a magazine.  Also, the marvelous Cinema - that was grand.  And I collected the film mag The Velvet Light Trap - many fine articles.  There was a genre mag called Photon that was very good, and I enjoy still Little Shoppe of Horrors, devoted to Hammer films.  I used to love going to the newstand and loading up - don't do it much anymore.  In its heyday, Sight and Sound was good, as was Films and Filming (one of the high moments of my life is when Nudie Musical was on its cover).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:21:56 PM »

I lived for ads in comic books - I wanted everything.  My favorite issue of MAD, when it was in comic book format, was the one with the faux ad cover.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 10:22:17 PM »

PERFUNCTORY!  That's what I'M talkin' about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 10:26:31 PM »

All right, I must toddle off to the bed to get my beauty sleep.  You West Coasters keep the partay goin' on.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 10:28:08 PM »

I always wondered what one got when one ordered the 7-foot tall Frankenstein. It was just a giant poster.

One thing I could stare at all day was the ad, usually on the back cover of a comic, that was for all the things you could win if you sold seeds or GRIT Magazine. A guitar! A portable TV! A bike! A radio controlled dune buggy! I would just stare at those pictures, but I never once thought of actually trying to sign up to sell stuff.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 10:30:58 PM »

Just looked online to find that GRIT Magazine still exists.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2005, 10:31:13 PM »

Good Morning!

Magazines...

I loved MAD too, but, in retrospect, a lot of the humor went totally over my head.  The folding back cover was the treat for me!  -And how many other DRs would try to discreetly fold the magazine while still in the store, before purchasing it? - if purchasing it at all.  Come on, fess up!  -I know I did.

I tried to get into National Lampoon since it always seemed to be featured prominently on the newstand - and usually next to MAD, but, again, the humor just completely went over my head at the time.

I went through a big Reader's Digest phase when I was in high school.  I would usually end up reading it over at a relative's house when we went to visit.  My parents never subscribed to it, but we always ended up with copies passed along from other people.  However, they did receive the Reader's Digest Condensed Books for many years.  -Came in very handy when I was doing book reports in elementary and high school.  -And, of course - and this is the truth - it took me a couple of years to realize exactly what "condensed book" meant.  I figured "condensed" just referred to the fact that they combined four books under one cover, and not that they had also condensed/shortened the books too.

Presently, I subscribe to Gourmet and Cook's Illustrated.  I go through phases with Bon Appetit and Cooking Light and Food & Wine.

I used to get American Theatre, Show Music Magazine, and some other music-oriented magazines.  And I get Out and Instinct since they were offered as bonuses to other services and subscriptions.

I finally discontinued my Men's Health subscription after many, many years - practically since they started.  Yes, they had some new and interesting articles from time to time, but, like many other Men's Health readers, I just got tired of the recycling of the various workout and diet regimens appearing every three to four months under different titles.  However, I do like their quarterly publication, Best Life.

Oh... And I was a big fan of Highlights as a child.  It was one of my favorite reasons for going to the dentist - there was always a nice stack of Highlights magazine in the waiting room.  And, if I was really lucky, the puzzles hadn't been penciled in yet!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »

OH!  And I was a Sheet Music Magazine subscriber for many years.  And I still have a nice stack of them too - I did not put those in the recycling bin a few weeks ago.  I loved the theory and "How to play..." articles.  I learned a lot of the American Popular Songbook through that magazine.

Oh... And Bananas!  I always felt "naughty" when I was reading that one.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 10:58:36 PM »

OK... Matinee in 12 hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 11:04:12 PM »

I wouldn't go near Meridian Chardonnay.  California Chards are too oakey for drinking, and lousy for cooking.  I'd rather have a nice Sauvignon Blanc.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 11:41:04 PM »

A quote, for PennyO and Jose -  :-*

"A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand"
Unknown

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2005, 11:55:57 PM »

Okay, I have to apologize to DRs Jane, MBarnum, JMK (and his lovely wife, Betsy) and JRand by proxy.  Yesterday, I wrote:
It sounds like a great evening! Someday...soon, I hope, I'll be able to make it to a regional HHW Gathering!

JMK wrote:
Hey, what were Jane, MB and I, chopped liver?

and then BMarnum wrote:
And George does seem to have forgotten about the Pacific Northwest gathering of he, myself, JMK, and Jane (with a special IM appearence by DR JRand54)!

I have been writing and re-writing trying to explain what I meant, but I've just been making it worse, ::) so I'll just apologize.  I didn't mean to slight our get-together in the least.  It was a wonderful evening and I will treasure the memory!  I probably meant that I would love to go further away from my home state of Washington (by flight) to a very large gathering of HHWers, where I could meet HHWers from across the country and even BK himself.  And, I would just love to go to New York again. ;D Someday....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 11:56:39 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2005, 11:57:47 PM »

And with that, I'm off to bed.  I'm glad that the evening was a success!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2005, 12:36:36 AM »

The book signing/reading/singing was just wonderful. I so enjoyed meeting all of you DRS- PennyO, Jose, Danise, Panni,
Ben, Michael Shayne, WFO, and re-meeting Rodzinski.
     Sorry I won't get the chance to meet you, Vixmom, and Ginny, and anyone else attending the festivities on Saturday.
     Have a wonderful time!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2005, 12:46:30 AM »

DR Ben, don't forget to look for me Wednesday night at Light in the Piazza- come on up at intermission. I'm in the front row mezz, Row A, seat 312.
     DR Jose, that Chocolate Therapy ice cream sounds equally dangerous and delicious!  I vote that it should be the food of the day.

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2005, 01:59:57 AM »

[size=8] A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JAY[/size]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 02:02:17 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2005, 04:13:25 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Jay!!!
We miss you!

Glad to hear much fun was had last night.

Now I'm off to the Welcome Back Buzzard Festival!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 05:28:20 AM »

Goodness, such a PERFUNCTORY dismissal of our Voracious Aficionado's B-Day in today's notes - no party hats nor pantaloons (not even sect caps nor trousergrebes; perhaps some wit will suffice:

A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon. Four worms were placed into four separate jars.

The first worm was put into a jar of alcohol.

The second worm was put into a jar of cigarette smoke.

The third worm was put into a jar of sperm.

The fourth worm was put into a jar of good, clean soil.

At the conclusion of the sermon, the minister reported the following
results:

The worm in the alcohol had died.

The worm in the smoke had died.

The worm in the sperm had died.

The worm in the good, clean soil was alive and well.

So, the minister asked the congregation, "What can we learn from this demonstration?"

A little old lady in the back raised her hand and said, "As long as you drink, smoke, and have sex, you won't have worms."

May DR Jay have many worm-free days ahead.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up