Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 11207 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 05:34:09 AM »

Good morning, alll.  First the post office, then a jaunt with DRs Danise, Ben, and possibly Michael Shayne.  We will subway down to see DRBen, and then we will all head to Footlight Records on East 12th Street, where DRDanise may find possibly more recordings by Michaels Crawford and Ball than she knew about.  We may go to Academy as well.  Who knows?  I have a late afternoon date with DRPanni, and then PennyO.

Dear Friend BK, I wish you were a regular New York denizen, but I'm happy you're here whenever and however.  I'm still puzzled over the ice cream situation at your hotel.  I'd rather find a chocolate on the pillow.

Magazines:  
  National Geographic, which I loved for so many reasons: dinosaurs, exotic realms and occasionally naked people.
  Show Business Illustrated and Show:  one of them published excerpts from Patrick Dennis' LITTLE ME, which I read, then purchased the book, and then read everything Dennis published from that point on; I believe the two Auntie Mame books were all I'd read before LITTLE ME.
  Famous Monsters from Filmland:  I had them all from the first issue as well as a zillion comic books, all of which my mother tossed when I was away to college.  
  Opera News: still a favorite.
  Theatre Arts:  I bought them rarely, but I always purchased an issue when they published a musical for the monthly play.
  High Fidelity and Stereo Review:  religiously, for the classical and broadway recordings; today I get Gramophone, American Record Guide, and Fanfare.
  When I was recording with BK in the mid-1990's, I noticed an issue of Film Score Monthly on his desk, and I've subscribed ever since.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2005, 05:35:31 AM »

I, too, loved MAD Magazine, and I saved about a dozen from the mid-60s because they had pieces in them that I thought were just too brilliant to ever give away.

SHOW was a favorite of mine as well, and I think we've discussed before how much SOME of us loved AFTER DARK.

I am old enough to have been around when Disney's first magazine came around. It could only be bought at newstands at the very beginning, and nowhere in my town did anyone sell it. My father was in Atlanta on business, and he bought me two different issues of Disney magazine. Don't know how he scored two, but I treasured those magazines for many years. It had a Zorro running serial and I'm sure lots of ads and articles about various Disney merchandise you could buy. I just loved the pictures from the animated features because at that time, there were no videos, and one had to rely on his memory and the Disney albums from the films if you wanted to relive the movie experience.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2005, 05:38:10 AM »

In more recent times, I loved THEATER WEEK and later IN THEATER and was very sad to see them fade away.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2005, 05:39:32 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
 ;) :D :) ;D :) ;) :D ;D :o :o :oPAGE 2 DANCE :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-*

[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
                                                                     :) ;) :D ;D ;D :D ;) :) :) ;) :D ;D :o :oHAPPY BIRTHDAY, DRJAY!!!!! :) ;) :D ;D ;D :D ;) :) :) ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-*

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 05:40:59 AM »

Last night, vixmom wrote:

"Is anybody selling the aforementioned recently departed WB set?  I was planning to get it as I am a big Hepburn fan and Stage Door is one of my favorites....now don't cringe when I say this Matt H... but I may have to settle for just watching my old VHS tapes....."

Hey, you do what you have to do to have classics ready for viewing when necessary. I still have a VHS of STAGE DOOR as well that will make a nice surprise gift for a friend (also DINNER AT EIGHT on VHS). I still have some of the MGM classics on videotape because I never got them on laserdisc, and they haven't come out on DVD yet: SAN FRANSISCO, YOLANDA AND THE THIEF, LOVELY TO LOOK AT, DAVID COPPERFIELD.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 05:42:32 AM »

WARNING - DANGEROUS INTERNET VIRUS ON THE LOOSE!

Look at my poor mouse!

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2005, 05:44:39 AM »

Sounds like everyone's having a wonderful time in NYC. So glad the reading/singing went well. Look forward to any pics that might show up in these pages.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2005, 05:49:40 AM »

Dedicated to elmore:

BODY MEETING :
All the organs of the body were having a meeting, trying to decide who was the one in charge.

"I should be in charge," said the brain, "because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen".

"I should be in charge," said the blood, "because I circulate oxygen all over so without me you'd all waste away."

"I should be in charge," said the stomach," because I process food and give all of you energy."

"I should be in charge," said the legs, "because I carry the body wherever it needs to go."

"I should be in charge," said the eyes, "because I allow the body to see where it goes."

"I should be in charge," said the rectum, "Because I'm responsible for waste removal."
All the other body parts laughed at the rectum and insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight.

Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache, the stomach was bloated, the legs got wobbly, the eyes got watery, and the blood was toxic. They all decided that the rectum should be the boss.

The Moral of the story?

The asshole is usually in charge !!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2005, 05:54:34 AM »

From the Christain Charity Digest

Bishop won't allow funeral for club owner
By Alex Roth
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
March 18, 2005

The owner of a popular local nightclub with a gay clientele can't have a funeral in the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego because the church has deemed his business "inconsistent with Catholic moral teaching."

None of the 98 Catholic churches in San Diego or Imperial counties will be allowed to provide services for Club Montage owner John McCusker as a result of the decision by San Diego Bishop Robert Brom.

McCusker, 31, died Sunday of congestive heart failure while vacationing in Mammoth, his family said. The bishop made the decision three days later after learning that McCusker's family planned to hold his funeral at the Immaculata Catholic Church on the campus of the University of San Diego, where McCusker went to school.

Brom's decision – which prompted the church to cancel the funeral – has provoked heated debate in local Catholic and gay communities. Several prominent gay leaders say they plan to file a formal protest with the diocese and demand that Brom apologize to McCusker's family.

Ah yes, hate the sin, love the sinner!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2005, 05:57:46 AM »

Wonderful reading about Friday in  New York.  And we must have more postings and some photos of Saturday in New York!  

MAD magazine, of course.  My favorite grown-up magazines were The Saturday Evening Post and The Reader's Digest.  I also liked Look magazine because they had lots of celebrity photos IN COLOR.

Disney (land) magazine had many Mouseketeer photos and stories.

More recently Scarlet Street, InTheatre, and Show Music.....RIP that last two.  

I also used to like Rona Barrett's movie magazines when she was publishing them.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2005, 05:58:13 AM »

CATS in Russia?  Rare Sound of Music LP's?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2005, 06:23:33 AM »

Happy Birthday DRJAY out there in sunny California!

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2005, 06:24:01 AM »

Greetings from NYC!

My niece and I arrived safely, not it time for the reading, but in time to join the dinner group at Joe Allen.  Today she and I are going to try to get tickets for a matinee, then join Danise to walk to Penny's show.  Looking forward to the get-together afterward, too.

I'm keeping my time online brief, 'cause there's one, count 'em one, computer for the entire hotel where I'm staying.  Don't want to hog it.  I'll check in later.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2005, 06:24:22 AM »

Nice to see that former DR PANNI was among the crowd yesterday!  She must be in NYC for a meeting about her script!  Maybe it's the one she's working on for Julia Roberts!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2005, 06:38:34 AM »

Good morning DR HISAKA!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2005, 06:49:49 AM »

An MBarnum date flick coming soon:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 06:55:29 AM »

TOD:

Young Years - Jack and Jill
Teen Years - Colliers, MAD, CONFIDENTIAL
College Years - National Review (Surprise!)
Breeding Years - TIME, ANALOG
Mellow Years - TIME, CINEFEX

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2005, 06:56:37 AM »

My brothers sold GRIT newspaper for many years.  They didn't get many points, but it was an interesting Weekly National Newspaper.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2005, 06:58:04 AM »

Yes, definitely SHOW MUSIC. Can't believe I forgot it. I am still in mourning over its demise.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2005, 06:59:06 AM »

You're right. The Disney magazine did have lots of stuff about the Mickey Mouse Club. One of the reasons I wanted it so badly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2005, 07:00:34 AM »

Oh my you can get a yearly E-subscription to GRIT for only $12.95!  ;D

http://www.grit.com/

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2005, 07:08:12 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  First of all, apologies for not catching the birthday - I didn't look at the calendar (which sometimes happens) and I didn't scroll down on the home page.  So, let's give a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer for former dear reader Jay.  On the count of three: One, two, three - A BIG HAINESHISWAY.COM BIRTHDAY CHEER FOR FORMER DEAR READER JAY!  Hoping he's having a lovely day.

I'm going to get dressed and go try to score a ticket, then I'll be back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2005, 07:15:27 AM »

Mad Magazine - 25 Cents - Cheap!  ;D

http://www.clish.com/jaraseli/jcst/jcst016-24.jpg

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2005, 07:19:49 AM »

Good News from Techno-Geek

(Extract from Weedly Standard):

Turn Them Off. Turn Them All Off.
From the March 28, 2005 issue: The subversive joys of TV-B-Gone.
by Andrew Ferguson
03/28/2005, Volume 010, Issue 26

San Francisco
IF YOU DISCOUNT his magenta and burnt-orange hair, teased into long curls that dangle down the nape of his neck, Mitch Altman is a modest man, with a diffident manner. He's the sort of person who, if he has to use a cell phone in a public place, turns away and covers his mouth with his free hand, lest he bother someone. His modesty is not only charming and rare but also wholly unjustified. For Mitch is the founder, CEO, and co-owner (with his mom) of Cornfield Electronics, and he has invented the single greatest technological breakthrough of the past three-and-a-half centuries, at least. He has nothing to be modest about.

Mitch's invention is called TV-B-Gone. He carries one on his keychain, as, God willing, you will someday carry one on yours. It fits snugly in the palm, a near-weightless lump of black plastic. Its shape vaguely suggests the Batman logo. A tiny diode rests on the very tip of Batman's head, between his pointy bat ears. Press a button and from this diode a beam of invisible light escapes that can turn off any television--any television--within a radius of 45 feet.

Yes, yes, yes: Imagine the possibilities. You sit in a doctor's waiting room, casting your mind forward to the grisly procedures he has in store for you (you can almost hear the snap of the rubber gloves) and hung high above you in a corner near the ceiling, well out of reach, Maury Povich is interviewing an adulteress, her daughter, and her daughter's transgendered lover, as the studio audience whoops and yelps and stomps its hairy feet. You reach in your pocket and withdraw your key chain. You tilt Batman's head toward the screen: TV-B-Gone! And it's gone!

Or the airline has delayed your flight, again, and all you want is to go home, and as you pace the soulless terminal from one end to the other the voice of Wolf Blitzer trails you like a police siren, roaring out from the CNN television monitors which have been spaced every 10 yards, so you're never out of earshot. The TSA guards may have taken your Swiss Army Knife, but they've left you with your lump of plastic. You point and press. Wolf-B-Gone!

On the phone your girlfriend has whispered the ominous words, "We have to talk." You meet in a neutral bar, amid the ferns and gleaming brass. Yet you can scarcely hear a word she says for the soccer game blaring in Spanish from the inevitable television that no one is watching. Hasta la vista, televisión!

der Brucer (eagarly awaiting CellFon-B-Gone)

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2005, 07:20:06 AM »

Happy Birthday to FDR (a Franklin D. Roosevelt reference) Jay!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2005, 07:40:31 AM »

TOD:  Well like everyone else, I loved Mad.  I used to have every issue from about 1967 through probably 1970 but I think one of my nieces or nephew took them after I moved out of my parents' home.  I did get the multi-disc CD-ROM with every issue (up to that time) a few years ago.  I've also collected Saturday Evening Posts since I was a child and have a very large collection going back well into the 19th century.  My favorite SEP ad is from the teens of the 20th century:  an ad for toilet paper with the tagline, "Guaranteed, no splinters!"

Mags that have lost their lustre for Betsy and me include Entertainment Weekly.  About a year and a half ago they redesigned it and the articles suddenly became largely about 20-somethings we've never heard of.  We will not be renewing our subscription.

It is a busy day for us here.  Betsy's mom flew in last night (and boy are her arms tired...).  Betsy's folks were going to make an offer on the little house next door to us until we found out the seller was listing it at 365K (for probably 1000 sq. ft.--outrageous if you ask me).  So Betsy and I found this incredible condo just about a mile from us.  It's an old estate built by one of Portland's founding families.  There is a huge mansion that dwarfs the White House (no joke), and several outbuildings, which is where I assume their voluminous staff lived.  One of these outbuildings is for sale now as a separate condo--2000 sq. ft. for 260K.  Plus you get the use of the estate gardens and Olympic size swimming pool (surrounded by, I kid you not, Grecian columns and statuary).  The setting is magnificent.  Sp Betsy's mom is going down to take a gander (or perhaps a goose) and probably make an offer today.

Then this afternoon is my winter/spring Tigard Pops Choir concert.  Pray for me, HHW-ers.  I booked a guy over two months ago to digitally record this concert, because it's taking place at a venue other than our regular one (where I normally do the recording myself).  So of course the guy comes to our dress rehearsal Thursday, stays for 2 hours, takes copious notes, and then says, "I'm not feeling well, I may or may not be there Saturday."  What is it with people nowadays??
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 07:41:50 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2005, 07:50:35 AM »

I still like ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, but not so much for the puff piece articles as for the reviews of films and TV. I wish they'd do more with stage rather than a once every other month section, but otherwise, it's about where it always was quality-wise. I think they choose their article topics based on what's popular or hot at the moment. Thus, there have been multiple pieces on LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, for example, over the last few months. But as with all mags, I read what I find interesting and skip the rest (such as the music section).

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2005, 07:52:04 AM »

Happy Birthday DR JAY!
Hope you'll have a beautiful birthday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2005, 07:58:06 AM »

Good vibes for JMK's recording date.....

Off to a MOVIE DAY with friends - as in VHS & DVD not big screen.

Back later.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2005, 08:01:57 AM »

The Mad magazine: I’ve never seen/read it, but Mad TV(is telecasting daily now).
Is the Mad Boy face appearing on the show same as the magazine’s one? Or Mad Board Game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up