Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 11238 times)

François de Paris

Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2005, 01:54:42 PM »

Sorry!
Because the url -- is that the correct word??? -- is too long it gets "cut off" BUT, if one copies and pastes the WHOLE line.... the links do work!

Sorry again for the bother!

François de Paris

« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:05 PM »

New page!

Let's do the Chimney Sweep Dance: Step In Time!

Michael

« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2005, 01:57:22 PM »

Just a quick hello from Broadway and 54th. I just came from the matinee of Spamelot. I liked it better than the Producers. Everyone was wonderful. I hope that I can get to see it again. as I was in the mezz. far left and missed some stuff. Very funny well acted and the audience really enjoyed and some were even ahead of the action knowing what will happen. I reccommend it to all.

Back to the hotel and a rest before Penny O show a post dinner and then some time with my friend from Orlando who has moved up here.

Spent pre-Spamalot with Ben, Denise and Larry cd shopping at Footlights where everyone know Bruce's name. Then on to Academy Records and then we had lunch. It has been way too fast and I must come back here real soon. Pictures will be posted on Monday and I even shot a video of the reading and the songs which will be sale in the lobby after the show.

So until Monday.......
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »

And let's don't forget DETECTIVE STORY. Sure would love to have that on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »

YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN is coming in the Doris Day box later this year.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »

Thanks for the info on SPAMALOT, DR Michael. I hope to get to see it in August.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2005, 02:12:28 PM »

I LOVE THE VIKINGS!  And I think Kirk is great in it.  And Janet Leigh's gloriously impossible breasts!  The frequent fantasy of this adolescent lad!  And the great, great score!

His middle period is great with LUST FOR LIFE (He should have won an Academy Award), PATHS OF GLORY, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL THE VIKINGS, THE LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL, SPARTACUS...I've never seen LONELY ARE THE BRAVE.

I can't say there is much in his later years that compells me...But the one's I've mentioned are a substantial body of work.

DRPogue, I've always been a fan of Mr Douglas as well, ever since TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA,  and as a boy, I thought he was great in both ULYSSES and THE VIKINGS, of which I have absolutely no memory.  I've never forgotten ULYSSES and the frightening Polyphemus.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2005, 02:19:03 PM »

Quick update from Laura and Aunt Ginny:  We went to TKTS this morning and got matinee tickets for La Cage aux Folles, then walked over to Rockefeller Center to watch skating (only saw the Zamboni), then to La Bonne Soupe for lunch before the show.  Loved the show - at the end they did some fundraising for Broadway Cares.

On the way back to our hotels we went to visit Danise and she was on the phone with our very own Jane, so I got to meet Jane's voice.  Laura, Danise and I are going to have a quick little bite of something before proceeding to Penny's show.

Wish y'all were here!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2005, 02:31:40 PM »

Hello all! Finally getting around to posting this week! It's been crazy busy around here. We just got done with our Newman  Idol rehearsal. Basically a talent show. The 8 of us who live here at the church are doing Joyful, Joyful to a karaoke track with costumes, choreography and singing! It's pretty hilarious. I choreographed it and luckily they didn't have to much trouble with the choreography. I pulled some of it off the movie and simplified it in several parts so it wouldn't be extremely difficult to learn. It should be a good time. I hope everyone is having a wonderful time in New York and I hope the show is going wonderfully!  ;D
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2005, 02:32:42 PM »

I'm back from Virginia Woolf about which I'll have much to say in tomorrow's notes.

It was critics day at VW - spotted were the heinous Jeffrey Lyons, the acerbic John Simon, and the lovely Peter Filichia.  Coming out of the theater I ran into Walter Willison, who'd also seen it,  and the lovely Heather McRae and her mum, Sheila.  We had quite a lively conversation, talking about the play, the production and everything under the sun.  

I'm doing some advance packing now and then I shall toddle off for the long walk to the Clurman.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JAY!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »

I have to go.  I'm listening to Wall to Wall Sondheim on XM radio and it's sort of breaking up.  I think that being on the Internet doing other things doesn't help.  So, I'll be back later!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2005, 02:51:55 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jay!

And for all the DRs in NYC I am enjoying reading about your adventures.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »

This afternoon I called Danise at her hotel and we had a nice chat. :D  While we were talking Ginny arrived to pick Danise up and check out her room.  Lucky me got to meet Ginny on the phone. :D  How fun.  I wish I were there.

Once again I have been running all day.  I’m going to go soak in the tub and return later.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2005, 03:19:25 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2005, 03:26:14 PM »

Nobody here but us chickens.  We all must be on the town.

I have done most of my packing, and I've written the first half of tomorrow's notes, while Virginia Woolf was still fresh in my head.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2005, 03:47:16 PM »

All right then, I'm on my way to the Clurman Theater to see Miss PennyO and join our merry troupe.  I'm very excited to see the show, and I'm sure our gathering afterwards will be FASCINATING, oh, yes, I'm sure our gathering afterwards will be FASCINATING.  I shall, of course, have a full report for you dear, dear people out there in the dark.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2005, 05:22:41 PM »

JRand I haven’t seen the Betty Hutton interview yet.  I did read a nice one a long time ago.

Jose do you share food?  I can only eat a bite or two at a time-Maybe not, at the rate I’m gaining weight these days come Oct I might be up to eating all you do.  ;D
I’m saving your tour post until Oct.  Sweet potato chips at The Chippery sounds great!  I’m glad Ben & Jerry’s wasn’t on your tour-I only want Carvel’s. :)

Bruce remember, I like soupy ice cream.  Did they leave it on ice?

Rodzinski I don’t believe I have seen Prime Meridian-thanks for the tip.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2005, 05:28:53 PM »

Jose my mother also had Reader’s Digest magazines and condensed books.  Unlike you I knew what condensed meant.  Most times it was okay the books were condensed but every once in awhile I wished I had the entire book to read.  When I was in 10th grade we read the condensed version of Les Miserables and I was very disappointed.  I also kept forgetting what and been left out and answering the discussions and tests with too much information.

Dare I say I don’t like MAD.  I always found the pictures creepy, the stuff night mares are made of.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2005, 05:32:26 PM »

DH Jane, your cookies are in the mail!! Do not worry about the postage..they should be there Monday or Tuesday

Thanks.  May I add a small donation for Vixter's troop? :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 05:51:31 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2005, 05:45:29 PM »

George I have only been laughing, not offended. :D

DerBrucer such a sad story of the Bishop’s decision to force the poor man’s family such pain.
As always, darling pics of the gang.  :)

JMK I’m praying for you.  Also hoping the condo thing works out.  If so I guess you won’t be moving

Ben, very interesting about the coins-thanks.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2005, 05:51:52 PM »

Larry, I forgot ULYSSES, but I always enjoyed it too.  Michael Shayne, how was my neighbour Tim Curry in Spamalot?  

BK, I await your report on Virginia Woolf.  I've loved Kathleen Turner since BODY HEAT and I'm a fan of Bill Irwin's.

Matt H, yes, DETECTIVE STORY is also rather nice.

I saw THE LONG HOT SUYMMER again this afternoon.  Although there are some seams in the movie that slightly betray that it was adapted from several different stories, the dialogue is so delicious and so ably performed.  The scene between Newman and Woodward in the store is just so fraught with sexual tension. And the great scene between her and Orson Welles where he's comparing Newman to a stud bull.  And I love the elliptical treatment of so many things...they can allude to the sex and the homosexuality of Richard Anderson's character and so many other things just through stylish dialogue and great performances rich in subtext.  They don't have to hit you over the head with anything blatant.  Just style and smarts.  

It must have been wonderful when mainstream movies like this gave actors wonderful words to say.  Where things were accomplished through performance and nothing had to be blown up or riddled with a hundred bullets.  

And I must find a copy of the title song by Jimmy Rodgers.

And speaking of the good ole days, I was watching the game network last night when they show old black and white games shows.  Something called the Name's the Same with Bob and Ray as the hosts and What's My Line?  People we just so polite and eloquent and well-mannered and groomed. I miss that genteel , more gracious time.

The  Lovely Wife and I spent the afternoon at BIG LOTS, stocking up on odd provisions and what-not.  I was so happy.  Someone has put out candy corn for Easter.  It's in Spring pastels of green, blue, pink, and yellow and called Candy Bunnies, but it looks and taste like candy corn.  I love that stuff!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 05:53:22 PM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2005, 06:01:19 PM »

My mother wouldn't let me read Mad.  She thought it was subversive, and inappropriate reading for young people.

She also thought the music of Petula Clark was subversive, because she (Petula) once took a public anti-war stance.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2005, 06:06:27 PM »

CP thank you for interrupting the conversation I was having with myself. :D

I shall have to watch for Candy Easter Bunnies.  I won’t buy it since I can’t eat just a few of them.

I recall an interview with Joanne Woodman saying she was offered the role of the sexy wife and turned it down, requesting the role she played-smart move. (I can’t remember the names of the charactors).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2005, 06:07:17 PM »

We took Peggy and the Pups, along with Fletcher, to the beach today.  They all had a wonderful time, meeting lots of people and getting pets and licking faces.  Der Brucer will be posting pics later.

There was one short time of panic.  Peggy somehow slipped out of her collar, and went dashing up the street and around the corner.  Der B went running after her, but she wasn't there.  Then the owner of the corner clothing store came out, asking if we were looking for the dog that was touring the shop.  Yep, there was Peggy, doing what all girls like to do for fun...shop!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2005, 06:28:11 PM »

DRLaura did you purchase a new camera?  I wish I had taken my camera with me today on my hike.  I have been delivering Meals on Wheels.  One of the houses is down the street from the beginning of a trail I enjoy, so today I left that delivery for last.  I had expected to hike in the rain but was treated to some sun and beautiful views of the valley after the rain.

How I wish I were at my dear friend Penny’s show.  Even if I’m not there my heart is.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2005, 06:29:33 PM »

SWW it is very popular in Ashland for stores to have pet mascots.  Did you ask the store owner if he would like Peggy?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »

At the moment, we weren't even thinking in that direction.   :-\

Jane

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2005, 06:51:52 PM »

LOL-next time.

Goodnight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2005, 07:40:25 PM »

Well we watched movies AND The 1958 Miss America Pageant and ate and had a good time.  If I couldn't be in NYC for the HHW confab ... well this was a second choice.

MR BK - Sheila MacRae....she met Lucy Ricardo at Don Loper's salon....I will never forget it!  And you were talking to her!

AND DR CP mentions another name that floors me....Calder Willingham....you know those people are out there (people like Harlan Ellison) but you don't imagine that you might know people who know them (June Wilkinson).  Mr Willingham wrote END AS A MAN and ETERNAL FIRE - two of my favorite books!

And I would just say to DRCP - LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is very good....but very bleak....almost makes HUD look like MARY POPPINS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up