Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 11227 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2005, 09:32:20 AM »

And one for Mahler.  I will shortly be on my way to Virginia Woolf.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2005, 09:32:50 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page four!

PERFUNCTORY!

What me worry?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2005, 09:39:56 AM »

All right then, I guess I'll mosey on over to the theater now.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2005, 10:30:08 AM »

WARNING - DANGEROUS INTERNET VIRUS ON THE LOOSE!

Look at my poor mouse!

ROTFLMAO   ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2005, 10:40:21 AM »

Well DH washed my car in preparation for out drive in thei afternoon.  We are having a lovely spring day, warm, no wind and very sunny..thank yu bk fpr bringing some California weather with you, and Danise for bringing some Florida weather!  We sure could use it!

vixmom

« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2005, 10:41:09 AM »

DH Jane, your cookies are in the mail!! Do not worry about the postage..they should be there Monday or Tuesday

vixmom

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2005, 10:41:44 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY~~~~[/move]

vixmom

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2005, 10:43:34 AM »

I hope I remember everyything I have to bring  in today

1. elmores copy of What If
2. Ginny's cookies
3.My three Kritzer books for bk to sign
4 A suprise for Ben

vixmom

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »

well the "at home lipo" didn't work out at all, apparently you need specialized equiptment, the vaccum cleaner just left unslightly hicky  type marks....

vixmom

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2005, 10:45:33 AM »

I suppose I shouldn't even attempt the at home face lift....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2005, 11:01:54 AM »

An MBarnum date flick coming soon:

der Brucer
It is just me?  Somehow, when the pics don't match the order of the stars listed, it looks strange.  The one with the tits jugs mammaries is right over the name Steve Zahn, and the one with more muscles than brains curves is right over the name Penelope Cruz.

Strange.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2005, 11:04:47 AM »

Hello all!  I,m typing this LIVE from the lobby of the Muse hotel using my PDA!

Thank you, DR Jose for teaching me how to make it work!

What a wonderful day I have had and the fun isn't over by half.

I spent a GREAT morning/lunch with DR's Michael, Ben and Larry.  We roade the subway and the bus and it was all too,too.

Lest I forget, last night was simply fabo as well.  It has been a very long time since I have enjoyed myself so much.  I really, really, really loved meeting everyone.  My only sorrow is that it was over much to soon.  I want to do it again!  And  so I shall tonight!

Going to rest for a bit then get ready for the do!

Laters all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »

DRDanise, you and Michael Shayne just left me on the bus!  I'm going to lie down for a bit, then I meet DRPanni, to wander about the Upper West Side, perhaps have a drink or two, later a bit of din and a wander Down to The Big Show.
I wish all you DRs were here with us, and I feel this sentiment is shared by everyone who is here.

DRJose, you are one fickle Filipino!  First you propose to DRMBarnum for an HHW reality show wedding and now you're barking at DRRodzinski.  Do I have to ask Angus McIndoe to put saltpeter in your meal tonight?  Meanwhile, I  look forward to wonderful sounds from your magic fingers between 8:00 and 9:30 tonight.

I meant to add that while Michael, Ben, Danise, and I wandered through Forbidden Planet, Footlight Records and Academy, I picked up a CD of Lesley Garrett singing "Love Is Where You Find It." which was a matter of discussion some weeks back.  Would any DR care for a copy of the CD?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 11:26:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2005, 11:25:58 AM »

... Virginia Woolf.  I think it's a nice three-hour play...
Somehow, "nice" has never been a word associated with the play until now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »

Der Brucer is insisting that we take the dogs down the the boardwalk in a little bit.

He has not, however, made any attempt at saying which dogs we should take down the the boardwalk in a little bit.

I can see it now: he'll insist that we load all eight dogs into the car and take them down to the boardwalk in a little bit.  We will then try to walk eight dogs on the boardwalk...he'll take the puppies and Mikey (the terrier) while I get dragged by the other five dogs hither and yon up and down the boardwalk.

My back and shoulders are already aching.

:-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Birthday[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR Jay[/move]

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2005, 11:54:31 AM »

Jose, I used to buy National Lampoon in college.  Elmore, I have a collection of Theatr Atrts magazines from about 1949 to 1964.  I acquired them when The Lovely Wife used to be President of the Friends of the Hollywood Library and I was the guy who went out and collected the books for the book sales.  I always got first pick that way.  MattH I loved the Theatre Week and mourned it's passing...Unfortunately, I did not save all the issues (my life is awash with paper as it is).  My Dad had a collection of National Geographics that went back to 1910 , ten years before he was born up until he died.  I suspect they are still in stored in the shed behind the house, unless one of my siblings has acquired them.

Happiest of Birthday's to our Pasadena Dear Reader Jay and a fervent wish for his imminent return.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2005, 12:28:48 PM »

If any DRS are resting in their hotel rooms this afternoon, Wall to Wall Sondheim is being broadcast live on FM 93.9-it's quite splendid.
elmore, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you this trip.
Happy Birthday, Jay!

François de Paris

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2005, 12:41:56 PM »

For those who need a Dame Julie fix:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/91823.html

Birthday Wishes to the Boy from Pasadena.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2005, 12:57:38 PM »

Mad has a CD-ROM that has every issue from the first to up to 1998 on it.  It's quite a kick.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2005, 01:08:17 PM »

I spent a lively afternoon watching an old favorite from my childhood days that I've had on DVD for over a year but not taken off the shelf until today: THE VIKINGS.

I enjoyed seeing it again. Purely a popcorn movie, and it was fun just to settle back and watch. Nice transfer (some of those vistas with cascading waterfalls were quite spectacular). I wish MGM could have souped up the sound. That majestic score and those booming Viking horns would have been so much more impressive coming out of all the speakers instead of just the center one. Alas, mono sound on an adventure film like this spoils a bit of the fun, but just a bit.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2005, 01:10:12 PM »

Thanks François.  The yahoo links don't work now. Good to see an Australian (Elle) connection.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2005, 01:13:01 PM »

I had the feeling someone (ALW?) has used the main theme from "The Vikings" recently. It was favourite film from my childhood - except for Mr Douglas who I really don't care for at all as an actor. Nor his son come to think of it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »

I had thrown out my copy of MAD that contained their masterful parody EAST SIDE STORY, and I searched in vain for many years trying to find it, even bought many of the MAD paperbacks hoping I'd get one that had it, but it was never in the ones I bought. Finally, I got a MAD Treasury book, and there it was after all these years, and I laughed just as much reading it and singing along as I did when I first saw it as a kid.

Ben

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »

A quick post before dinner and then the long-awaited show.

Danise, Michael Shayne and Larry and I had a wonderful late morning/afternoon stroll and shopping spreee at Footlight and Academy. We had lunch at the Comfort Diner on 23rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues (closer to 5th Avenue). For a while in the booth in back of us sat Mr. B. D. Wong. Larry spoke to him briefly and then we continued with our lunch. I had a grilled cheese on 7 Grain Bread, Larry had a cheeseburger, Danise had an execellent omlette stuffed with many things and Michael had a chicken club. I left my mates to take the bus uptown so Michael could see Spamalot, Danise could rest up and Larry could get back to the abode to rest up for an afternoon visit w/Panni. I headed home, rode the exercise bike, showered and helped Anthony run lines for his callback for Applegate on Tuesday. Then I took a nap and now we will have quiche and a salad for dinner. Then on to the show.

Also, thanks all for the info about Quarters. I have thought about getting the Mint Proofs. They are only $15 dollars for 5 quarters. I'll continue to ponder that question.

Jane, you're right, it seems to be getting harder to find the quarters. I know they are minting fewer of each state. My brothers says he heard one of the reasons they are minting fewer is because since each quarter honors a specific state, that state is asked to pitch in for part of the cost. Since many states are having their own financial crises, they are not putting is as much, hence, fewer coins being minted. Don't know if it's true but it makes sense.

On that note, (C#) I will leave to prepare dinner.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

I had the feeling someone (ALW?) has used the main theme from "The Vikings" recently. It was favourite film from my childhood - except for Mr Douglas who I really don't care for at all as an actor. Nor his son come to think of it.

I run hot and cold on Kirk Douglas. The ego always seems to be bursting out in all directions which colors every scene he's in, but it works with a character like he plays in THE VIKINGS or as the two-faced boxer in CHAMPION.

I wish I could have seen him play Randall P. McMurphy in CUCKOO'S NEST on the stage. He had to have been perfect for that role.

Ben

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »

Before I forget, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

I hope to get to Footlight Records this summer. I haven't been in my last couple of trips to NYC, and I'd like to pay a return visit just to see what they have.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

I LOVE THE VIKINGS!  And I think Kirk is great in it.  And Janet Leigh's gloriously impossible breasts!  The frequent fantasy of this adolescent lad!  And the great, great score!

A few years back I got the privilege of writing a Viking script based on an idea by Calder Willingham who wrote the 1959 Vikings.  It is a script that has something of a cult following, but we cannot get the people who own it to go for it.  Director Uli Edel has tried three times to direct it.  He really gets the script and would be wonderful for it.  In fact, that script helped me to get the Hercules' writing job.  My Hallmark and NBC execs are big fans of the script.

But I generally like Kirk Douglas...

I like his early work in things like OUT OF THE PAST and THE STRANGE LOVES OF MARTHA IVERS,  CAMPION, YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, and especially THE BAD & THE BEAUTIFUL.

His middle period is great with LUST FOR LIFE (He should have won an Academy Award), PATHS OF GLORY, GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL THE VIKINGS, THE LAST TRAIN FROM GUN HILL, SPARTACUS...I've never seen LONELY ARE THE BRAVE.

I can't say there is much in his later years that compells me...But the ones I've mentioned are a substantial body of work.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 05:33:41 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up