Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERPETUAL YAWN  (Read 13353 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PERPETUAL YAWN
« on: March 20, 2005, 10:37:07 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've yawned perpetually, and now it is time for you to perpetually post until the perpetually yawning cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 12:01:11 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE PERPETUAL YAWN
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 10:38:57 PM »

And the word of the day is: PUGNACIOUS!

I must now toddle off to the bedroom environment.  It will be nice to have my comfy pillow 'neath my head.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 10:39:20 PM »

But, before I go, may I just say - PUGNACIOUS!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 11:07:08 PM »

I think I may have a bit more time to post this week. I am busy preparing for my audition for the School of Music here at Ball State. I have a last minute audition piece change to take care of in the morning because a certain book went missing. Our music library has the piece I wanted to use, but unfortunately only with orchestra when I need the piano reduction. I am not worried about knowing th music as my nerves getting in the way of confidence. That has always been my biggest problem, but I suppose the best way to get over your fears is to just face them head on.

I have also finally gotten the pictures from the production of Godspell I was in, so I may just share a few of those with you in the next few minutes.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 11:13:22 PM »

But first let me say...

"The pugnacious pug's nascent fondness for chewing on shoes led its owner to enroll him in obedience classes."

(That didn't work out as well as I wanted it to but I can live with it. I am sure derB and SWW can relate.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 11:15:29 PM »

Good Morning!

Hmmm... I sort of routinely do all-nighters every now and then, so staying up 48 hours is not too big a deal for me.  I almost did 72 hours straight once, but I eventually forced myself to go to bed and shut my eyes.  Once I got the "challenge" inside my head to stay up for three days in a row...  So, I guess the longest I've stayed up has been about 60-62 hours.

I had a friend who used to do the fishing boat and oil rig "circuit" up in the Alaska waters.  The usual schedule was one week(!) on - awake - and then they would get three to four days off in a row.  WOW!  And then there are those poor doctors in training..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 11:16:01 PM »

And now...

PUGNACIOUS!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »

And now...

I sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:17:30 PM »

Hmmmm I can't get the pictures to work. Must still be full.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:21:37 PM by Joey »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 11:25:18 PM »

Ahhh here we go! I'll just have to upload them to my school website instead. This is my favorite picture which was in the school paper. I did a screen capture from the paper's pdf archive. I wish I had a better copy of it though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:27:52 PM by Joey »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 11:39:51 PM »

This is during the rap before Light of the World.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 11:41:49 PM »

This is the beginning of By My Side at the matinee performance.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 11:48:10 PM »

This is the Rich Man and Poor Man parable. (I am playing Abraham in the black overalls and orange shirt just in case you couldn't tell.)

I think that is all I'll torture you with for now. I have over 300 more pictures from the show!

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures from New York to see what I missed! :)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 11:50:36 PM »

I am my own picture frenzy!!!!!!

I must head off to bed. Goodnight all!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 12:33:02 AM »

The longest I've ever stayed up is probably around thirty-six or so hours.  

Usually it was closing a show one night and driving through the night and staying up the following day to get to it.  Larry Drake and I did a drive like that once from Dallas, Texas to Charlotte, North Carolina...we both got very giddy and by about three o'clock the next afternoon we were a regular Laurel & Hardy.  Possibly, it was our own demented, sleep-deprived minds, but we thought we were a mini-Algonquin Round Table.

I've pulled lots of twenty-four hour all-nighters on writing deadlines.  Or weeks where I went with only two or three hours asleep at night.

Usually, when The Lovely Wife and I are going to London, I sleep badly the night before getting maybe 3-4 hours, get up earlier do all the stuff I've got to do before the flight leaves that evening usually between 5-7, then ten and a half hours on the plane, another hour into London before we're at our flat...and we usually try to stay up until about 11:00pm London time.  That's probably 36, I might get a couple hours fitful sleep on the plane.  Often we take in a show that first night.

As I get older that all-nighter stuff gets to be a lot less fun and less easy to do.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 02:43:13 AM »

I have Perpetual Roses in my garden. :P

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 02:44:09 AM »

Great pictures, DR Joey.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 04:20:35 AM »

Good morning, all!  I crashed rather early last night as well.  I'm having some coffee and listening to the CD, "The Music of Bruce Kimmel," which I input last night to burn some discs for DRs Michael Shayne and Rodzinski.  When I get to the recording office, I have to arrange my social calendar for the week.  I did speak to DRDanise around 8:00 last night; she subwayed solo, and I'm quite proud of her adventurous streak.

Last year, when I was working on Anna Bergman's act, I had a run of several days with no sleep, along with a week of sleep limited to 3-5 hours a night.  It was not a good time between the urge to lie down, the constant fatigue, and the jumpy nerves about the deadline.  Oy!

DR Joey, thanks for the GODSPELL photos.

DRs, thanks for all the wonderful shots from the weekend.  I think I'll keep my current curmudgeon photo!

DRvixmom, since I've always been the oldest brother in my family, I'd be happy to be yours as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 04:45:39 AM »

Well, that lovely picture of Danise and me from yesterday does not make me look PUGNACIOUS (Combative in nature; belligerent) for which I am glad!

In the Beating a Dead Horse Department, we really did have a wonderful weekend, from the Friday reading to the Sunday Brunch with Larry and Michael. It all came together beautifully. Anthony was very pleased to meet so many of the fine people I talk about each day.

And now I must get back to work. Debra/Vixmom I'll pm you the information about Anthony's show in April/May. Congrats to the Vixter on getting cast. When the bug bites early it usually becomes a lifelong affliction.

Later.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 04:46:41 AM »

Good Morning all!

As for the TOD, I cannot go very long without my sleep. I think I can make it maybe 24 hours at the most before my body shuts down and I crash no matter where I am. I also have the tendency to sleep walk when going to bed sleep deprived so I try not to do it too often. One day, my roomates came downstairs to find me asleep on the couch with the oven turned up to broil, the fridge standing wide open, and the water in the sink running full blast. I recall dreaming I was cooking.

I didn't get but maybe 2 hours sleep last night so as long as I don't lay down I'll be fine. I know I will crash as soon as I am done with classes though.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 04:48:00 AM »

Caught up with all the photos from yesterday. It looks like everyone was having a wonderful time!  :D Let's hope I can make it next time there is a gathering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 05:11:52 AM »

Caught up with all the photos from yesterday. It looks like everyone was having a wonderful time!  :D Let's hope I can make it next time there is a gathering.

DRJoey, I hope you're attending the Indianapolis gathering and theatrical outing.  Perhaps DRGinny will have a clean coat by then?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 05:20:33 AM »

If I remember correctly (IIRC) the longest I ever went without sleep was about 36 hours during my college days. Pulled an all nighter to get a project done and then went to class and almost collapsed. I am not good when I am sleep deprived. I haven't done anything similar since.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 05:45:03 AM »

Sad news in the Cabaret community. Bobby Short died of leukemia.

Here's a short obit

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20050321/ap_en_mu/obit_short

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 06:16:36 AM »

I enjoyed hearing interesting tales and seeing wonderful pictures from the HHW Mad Gathering in NYC in 2005. Thank you, one and all who posted them and now I never have a feeling of “Home Alone” any more. :D :D :D

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 06:54:47 AM »

You are not a beached whale, dear BK! :o
I recognized you’ve lost some of your weight and were/are still attractive with the highlights, in that photo too ! ;)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

Jose-
I messaged you my work #, so give me a ring sometime today if you are able. Unfortunately, I left my cell at home as I often do on days when I actually need the thing.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 07:00:25 AM »

I was working an overnight shift at a place in Athens, GA, where people called to activate their credit cards. Morning came and my  replacement did not show up, and I kept working. Then I was like, what is the record for the longest shift ever here? It was 17 hours, so I said I was going to do a 24-hour shift. Which I did.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2005, 07:12:09 AM »

WhenI worked at UPS ('77 - 84) I pulled several 24 hour shifts and one really memorable 30 hour one... (I was management and we had awildcat strike going on....I shudder just thinking about it)

In college I had a couple of days where I went to school all day, went to work until 1 or so and then came home, did a report, showered and headed back to work..

Nowadays making it through  the Jon Stewart show without falling asleep in the recliner is a major accomplishment
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2005, 07:13:44 AM »

Thank you, one and all, for all of the reports and photos of the New Yawk weekend.  I know it sounds impossible, but I am afraid that we in the Pacific Northwest are going to be topping your weekend very soon.  In fact, I predict, that within the the next week, Jed and Ann and I will be getting together for ice cream....and maybe even dinner!

Eat your heart-out East Coasters!!!
 We want pictures!!!!! (and ice cream)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up