Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERPETUAL YAWN  (Read 13342 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE PERPETUAL YAWN
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2005, 08:36:31 AM »

Congratulations on your success, DRJMK.  You see, you were worried for nothing!

Thanks--but my worries weren't about the performance per se, but about whether the idiot guy recording it would show up or not.  Thankfully, he did, but I had made a back-up plan in case he didn't.  It just counfounded me that he would wait until 10:00 p.m. on the Thursday before a Saturday performance to say "I may or may not be there."  Oy!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2005, 08:38:50 AM »

Then  I'll interpret a fountain (Trickle, trickle, trickle).

One Grecian Fountain, two Grecian fountains...
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2005, 08:40:16 AM »

The floor people still haven't actually come into the home environment.  Which means that if the wall man (who is helping the floor men) hadn't gotten here at ten to eight I could have slept another half-hour.  But, they won't be coming that early the next two days, so that's good.  I had to get a little uppity this morning with the contractor because the story started changing as to what was going to be happening in the room.  Happily, I take notes and I just pulled out the sheet of paper and said, "No, that is not what was said, this is what was said."  Everything's fine now.  Apparently, all the actual work gets done today (and it doesn't take all that long) - then they coat the boards with some sort of varnish.  Then they add more varnish tomorrow and Wednesday and then they put the whole thing back the way it was.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2005, 08:40:44 AM »

PUGNACIOUS!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2005, 08:41:16 AM »

(steroids to take the swelling down)

Have you offered this excuse to Major League Baseball?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2005, 08:43:08 AM »

Everything's fine now.  Apparently, all the actual work gets done today (and it doesn't take all that long) - then they coat the boards with some sort of varnish.  Then they add more varnish tomorrow and Wednesday and then they put the whole thing back the way it was.

And, with luck, the body will never be found.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2005, 08:52:09 AM »

That's right DRJMK - I forgot what you were worried about.  Whew!

And of course as DRMBARNUM reminds me, tomorrow a few more MGM Midnight Movies on sale ONLY at Best Buy will be released, including FIREBALL 500 and THUNDER ALLEY - two stock car racing movies featuring Miss Annette Funicello and Fabian.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »

The heavy dresser has been moved to the book room, and, as I requested, none of the stereo equipment or TV wires had to be undone, just the main power strip.  And, best of all, the floor will be done tomorrow, and by tomorrow evening all will be back the way it was.  Hoo and ray.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2005, 08:58:58 AM »

I wonder what MR BK will have us accolytes do today?

ooh! ooh!  Can I light the candles??
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2005, 09:05:36 AM »

Hammering has begun.  O Joy!  O Rapture!

The critics are mostly unanimous in their praise for the revival of Virginia Woolf.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2005, 09:24:56 AM »

The longest I've probably stayed up was in college...40 hours.  Every year now (well, for the last five, this year will be the sixth), I've been involved in the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  Teams raise money and in June, they walk around a track for 24 hours.  Each person doesn't have to walk for all 24 hours (although there are usually three or four people that have), but one person from each team should be walking on the track at all times.  Anyway, I usually stay up between 35 and 38 hours.  I can't remember if I've stayed up longer than that for the Relay. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2005, 09:25:18 AM »

I wonder sometimes if the critics start being a little kinder in their assessments in a theatrical season where nothing much has done outstandingly. After all, plays need to open for them to have jobs. Just wondering . . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2005, 09:28:52 AM »

BTW, the critical judgments on SPAMALOT were mixed to positive, sounds about like what DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS got, but in terms of box-office, SPAMALOT has been doing bonanza business.

But the public sometimes doesn't care what the critics say. In the same article that was detailing the $2 million that SPAMALOT wrapped the day after it opened (and the $18-20 million it has in advanced sales), they revealed that WICKED now has advanced sales of $33 million, over a year after opening and even after not winning the Best Musical Tony.

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »

BTW, the critical judgments on SPAMALOT were mixed to positive, sounds about like what DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS got, but in terms of box-office, SPAMALOT has been doing bonanza business.

But the public sometimes doesn't care what the critics say. In the same article that was detailing the $2 million that SPAMALOT wrapped the day after it opened (and the $18-20 million it has in advanced sales), they revealed that WICKED now has advanced sales of $33 million, over a year after opening and even after not winning the Best Musical Tony.

MattH, do you have any idea how long Messers Hyde-Pierce, Azzaria & Curry are contracted to stay with the show?  I'd hate to get tickets for the week after the replacements took over.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »

Picked up my packages - two boxes of the various Kritzer books, which I was completely out of, and one big envelope containing DVDs for me to vote on in the DVD Academy.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2005, 09:49:59 AM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2005, 09:55:36 AM »

Danise called and was very excited and pleased with herself.  She wants you all to know she went ice skating today and didn’t kill herself. ;D

I was out walking so Keith was the first person she shared her good news with. :)

I need to get a few things done before I leave to deliver Meals on Wheel and then do errands.  I will have to catch up on my reading later.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2005, 09:56:41 AM »

Very nice reading about the HHW visits.  And sad reading about the pup.
Great pics from everyone!

Jane

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2005, 10:00:04 AM »

Jennifer, are you feeling better?  Did you get in at the clinic?

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2005, 10:03:39 AM »

MattH, do you have any idea how long Messers Hyde-Pierce, Azzaria & Curry are contracted to stay with the show?  I'd hate to get tickets for the week after the replacements took over.....

I don't know for sure, but usually the stars on a big musical are asked to sign for a year from the first public performance. I would think they should be around through the end of this calendar year. If I see anything definite, though, I'll post it here.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2005, 10:13:05 AM »

Before I leave-from last night.

It is always nice to see Larry’s face and the new photo would be nice as an avatar, but I’m very fond of the old one.  I agree with Vixmom, the one of Larry with Danise is wonderful.  It could also be Danise’s new avatar.

The picture of Danise and Ben is great.

Rodzinski and the gal are a very cute couple.  I hope to meet you both in October.

And we finally get to see Joe-nice picture.  I agree with Vixmom on the new avatar for WFO.

Now I must getting going before I’m late-loved all the pics. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2005, 10:15:14 AM »

Drat! I set my DVR incorrectly and consequently missed recording last night's DEADWOOD. I'll get it tonight, but I was looking forward to seeing it, despite what a friend told me is a cringe-inducing kidney stone operation.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2005, 10:28:54 AM »

Good Morning Afternoon!

Like DR PennyO, I did indeed sleep last night too.  I tried to get up at 8:30.  Then I tried again at 10:00.  Then again at 10:30.  Then 11:15.  Finally, about an hour ago, around 12:30, I put my feet on the floor and got out of bed.

Whew!

I guess the past week or so caught up with me.  Which isn't really much of a surprise, I had just sort of forgotten how opening weeks of shows can take it out of a person/me.

As for the rest of the day, I do need to get my laundry done, which I will attend to shortly - and, hopefully, being mid-afternoon on a Monday, there won't be anyone at the lavanderia.

But before I head out, I shall check in with various DRs via phone to see what's up.

*And at least being in the City That Never Sleeps, getting up past Noon isn't late - or early for that matter - at all.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2005, 10:30:19 AM »

DR Joey - Thanks for the Godspell pics.  Hope you can make it to Indy to see Mamma Mia!.  As long as I know by the Wednesday before so that I can finalize the ticket request.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2005, 10:31:26 AM »

OK - Let me get my day started here...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2005, 10:36:15 AM »

ooh! ooh!  Can I light the candles??

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but if I am unable to get BK a bookstore to appear in here in PDX, we could use the....wait for it...Acolyte Room at the church I'm Music Director for.  It's intimate, has a nice upright piano and would be perfectly perfect for a small gathering.  If the gathering gets large, we could just spill out into the sanctuary.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2005, 10:45:08 AM »

I can't believe I never thought of this before, but if I am unable to get BK a bookstore to appear in here in PDX, we could use the....wait for it...Acolyte Room at the church I'm Music Director for.  It's intimate, has a nice upright piano and would be perfectly perfect for a small gathering.  If the gathering gets large, we could just spill out into the sanctuary.
Nice, our acolyte room is little more than a hallway behind the alter screen  :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »

Phone calls are done...  Time to head to the laundromat...

-So, what did you do today in the Big City?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2005, 11:09:32 AM »

Ben, indeed sad news about the great Bobby Short.  I was introduced to him in college by my theatre professor Charles Dickens (yes, his real name) and he became one of the linch-pin performers in my collection of the great American (and beyond) Songbook.  I discovered a great many hitherto unknown songs by Porter, Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart, Noel Coward, and so many others that I was not aware of.  He was very instrumental in my musical history and appreciation education.

JMK and Der Brucer, I too am outrage by the Republcian bullying in the Shiavo case.  What happened to the Republicans being the party of less government?

Cleaning VIBES to Ginny's coat!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2005, 11:10:40 AM »

MattH, the kidney-stone incident in DEADWOOD last night made me squirm.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up