Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NO NOTES TODAY - OOPS, APRIL FOOL'S!  (Read 26777 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:NO NOTES TODAY - OOPS, APRIL FOOL'S!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 07:47:54 AM »

Der Brucer-
If the person in your polemic has the power to come back from the grave, why wouldn't he or she just hop out of the hospital bed and get well rather than die? And if said person does come back from the grave, is he or she not merely playing into the hands of those they oppose by returning to life in an artificial means? In fact the promise of a return from the grave may be just the thing to reinforce the beliefs of the life-prolonging crowd. It offers A.) proof of an afterlife, and B.) a little extra time with the loved one they were so unwilling to give up.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 08:02:16 AM »

Well... Since I'm up...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 08:03:22 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - MADAME BOVARY - Original soundtrack recording with other Rozsa selections

DVD - STAR TREK: GENERATIONS
          TOMBSTONE
          KING OF KINGS

DVR - Wednesday night's LAW & ORDER
          Thursday night's WILL & GRACE
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 08:04:54 AM »

I am going out to dinner tonight, and then the tentative plan is to come back to my house for a movie night. If that plan goes forward, none of the above DVDs will be watched. Instead, the choices will be SHARK TALE and MULHOLLAND DRIVE (talk about the opposite sides of the coin!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 08:05:37 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - a little earlier than I was hoping, but I'm up.

Already very blue and sunny.

I see at least one post is spectacularly April Foolish.

Re, the auction:  It's an eclectic thing by some company that does live auctions on eBay at the same time as the live auction in Beverly Hills.  They're called Profiles of Courage or something.  I'm basically going to just sit with Nick and Julie.  Nick will be bidding on a Sam Peckinpah-related item he wants.  The only thing I saw that even interested me at all was a grouping of Jack Benny ephemera.  If it doesn't go too nutty I may bid on that.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 08:06:56 AM »

Has anyone been watching the miniseries on BBC America called THE LONG FIRM?

I have been catching up with some back issues of VARIETY and read this review of the show (which began at the beginning of March), and I managed to miss it. I'm sure it will eventually be rerun, but it certainly sounded intriguing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:08:08 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2005, 08:10:16 AM »

Wish I could say we had lots of sun and blue sky, but it's as dreary and cool as can be. Supposed the clear up by Sunday, but very April showery-looking right now.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »

Since Edie Adams won a Tony for ABNER on Broadway and was certainly a more famous name than Leslie Parrish at the time (due to her TV work), I wonder what led Paramount to cast Leslie Parrish.

Was Edie too expensive? Was she busy doing things with Ernie Kovacs? Had she already started to gain the weight which would not have made her Daisy Mae-friendly? Was Leslie under contract and thus available for Paramount to use? Wonder if she screen tested with otherstarlets of the time and won out?

I think someone ought to do a Broadway-to-Hollywood book on the making of the stage play and film of LI'L ABNER.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2005, 08:16:22 AM »

Of course, if I had my way, there would be a making-of book about EVERY Broadway musical and EVERY film musical. The backstage stories are usually so fascinating.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2005, 08:18:10 AM »

Hey, employment vibes to JRand today!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe she was pregnant.  I also think she'd been very vocal in her displeasure with her role's size in the play, so they may have wanted someone new.  Leslie Parrish should have been a big star - whoever was advising her or handling her career decisions was doing a strange job of it, since she went right back to doing guest shots on TV before The Manchurian Candidate came along.  Her performance in that film is really wonderful.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2005, 08:20:11 AM »

SWEET CHARITY IS OFF AGAIN!!!

www.brooadway.com/sweetcanceledagain.com

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »

But did anybody else think that she was just too old to play this part?  I really like her, but she must be 55+, and to me Fosca should be in her 30s at most.  It just seemed weird to me to see Georgia who looked 30s and Patti (who was uglied up to look even older) looked SO much older.

Since this was a concert presentation, I think the age of any singer, as long as he or she can sing the part well, is of no consequence.

In opera, divas in their 40s and 50s have been singing "Aida" and "Turandot" since the operas were premiered.  It's about the music in opera.  

Of course, we are TV-cinema-trained viewers and the "age" of a performer is so much more noticeable in those environments.

I read a stupid message at the stupid Idol on Fox community messageboard the other night.  One of the posters said the Idol show was for the young and that no one over 30 should be allowed to vote.

The premise, I suppose, is that no one over 30 listens to music or has a right to evaluate a good performance from a bad one.

When I read those radical comments, I so much want to have the power to "wish someone into a cornfield."  Even if it's just for a few hours...so long as they get the point.

So, no, Jennifer, I don't think she's too old for the part...not as long as you thought she sang it beautifully.  What would your opinion be if you only heard it on a recording, or over a radio, or if you were blind?  

I wish someone would stage a concert presentation of a musical with Barbara Cook who is 77 years young and still sings like a lark.  I'd love to hear her sing Daisy Gamble's/Melinda's songs from "On A Clear Day..."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:24:55 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2005, 08:22:08 AM »

The only problem (IF there's a problem) with the film of Li'l Abner, is the sort of pedestrian direction of Mr. Panama and Mr. Frank.  They did a wonderful job on The Court Jester, which is very stylishly done, but here they just plunk the VistaVision camera down wherever they can and shoot.  The "book" scenes are okay with that sort of flat filmmaking, but the dance numbers really suffer for it.  They should have watched Mr. Kidd's and Mr. Donen's camerawork on Seven Brides.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2005, 08:23:23 AM »

SWEET CHARITY IS OFF AGAIN!!!

www.brooadway.com/sweetcanceledagain.com

Oops - APRIL FOOL'S

You should see other sites.  It does get tired quickly.  The endless parade of rather witless "jokes".  

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2005, 08:24:22 AM »

Leslie was in some gangster film with Vic Morrow, too, wasn't she?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2005, 08:29:56 AM »

Actually, that was my own April Fools gag, I just added a link to give the air of legitimacy. Little did I know broadway.com has their own gags going on, like a MILLION DOLLAR BABY musical.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2005, 08:30:04 AM »

Yes, Portrait of a Gangster.  Also, Sex and the Single Girl, from what I recall.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2005, 08:30:29 AM »

BK:  The stereo LP soundtrack of "Lil Abner" -- it's true stereo, yes? I recall it sounding that way, but perhaps it was electronically enhanced instead?????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »

BK:  The stereo LP soundtrack of "Lil Abner" -- it's true stereo, yes? I recall it sounding that way, but perhaps it was electronically enhanced instead?????

No, there's nothing on mine that says stereo enhanced. It just says Stereo. But (and we had this discussion some weeks ago), the orchestra on this soundtrack album is not the orchestra that we hear when watching the film.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2005, 08:33:48 AM »

Media: CD: Roger Miller Greatest Hits
TV: Oh, did I watch a terrible Lifetime movie last night where John Stamos played a pimp. It was called "DAUGHTER OF THE STREETS" or something.
Phono: Michelle Lee 45
VCR: Gal's got ALIAS in there, I guess

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »

Ugh! I'm not going to any more forums today (other than here). April Fool's stuff is already old.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »

As for Passion last night on PBS... Again, I greatly admired the original production.  Donna Murphy, Marin Mazzie and Jere Shea (who apparently has left the business) set the bar for me.  The Kennedy Center trio of Judy Kuhn, Rebecca Luker and Michael Cerveris were also admirable.

-Michael Cerveris' make-up was a bit too much for me.  It was a good make-up job - the skin tone was very even from his face to his (bald) head.  Unfortunately, I thought it made him look like Dr. Evil from the "Austin Powers" movies.  It also made him look a little too clean for a soldier - whatever that means.  But I liked his performance - just like I liked it two and a half years ago.  However, I don't think all the close-ups served him well - nor anyone else.  They were acting for a theatre setting, not a TV setting.

-Audra McDonald sounded a bit too contemporary for me.  Some of her "Audra-isms" got on my nerves throughout the evening, especially the little scoops and slides into notes and between them.  But, otherwise, I liked her - like I always have.

-La LuPone took a while to grow on me.  Such a different approach from Donna Murphy.  -Who, by the way, was at each performance of Passion that I attended; and, to my knowledge, she was only out one performance the whole run of the show - and that was scheduled months in advance.  In any case...  Patti LuPone's non-delicateness worked against her Fosca in the beginning, and that mainly came across in her vocal color and delivery.  Too forced, too "sure" at times, but she's never really been known for having a "delicate" voice.  But as the evening progressed, she seemed to be more comfortable with Fosca's more genteel moments - and less rangy singing.

-The concert staging worked for me in general, and I didn't mind the cutting of the soldier's gossip sections.  And I particularly liked the overlap of the "To feel a woman's touch" transition over the Dr. and Giorgio scene (the one post-rain storm).

-The one moment I wish had been handled better audio-wise was the brief a cappella section at the end of the flashback sequence, "Beauty is power, Longing a disease".  Its just sort of didn't project, and seemed rushed through.

-I just wish the credits hadn't rolled by so fast.  I wanted to see who was in the ensemble - and I tried time and again to find the full casting info last night on the web.  I recognized Gina Ferrell as the Mother, Richard Easton as Dr. Tambouri, Kate Baldwin as the Mistress, and George Dvorsky as Ludovic.  But everyone else... ???  -I recognized their faces from other projects, but the names weren't coming to me.

-And that one long shot of Paul Gemignani conducting during the post-flashback transition.  What time pattern was he conducting?  I was starting to think he was sort of April Fooling for the camera.  ;)

-Oh - and although it's always nice to have a full orchestra, I'm so used to original 13-14 piece orchestration.  A chamber orchestration for a chamber piece.

-I was soooo glad that Lonny Price chose not to include the "I love Fosca" outburst/aria for Giorgio.  It was in London (and not orchestrated by Tunick), and Mr. Schaeffer included it in the Kennedy Center presentation.  -There was a reason it was cut from the original production.  ;)

And those are my quibbles...  well, the ones that I can remember.  For what they're worth.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2005, 08:45:08 AM »

Der Brucer-
If the person in your polemic has the power to come back from the grave, why wouldn't he or she just hop out of the hospital bed and get well rather than die? And if said person does come back from the grave, is he or she not merely playing into the hands of those they oppose by returning to life in an artificial means? In fact the promise of a return from the grave may be just the thing to reinforce the beliefs of the life-prolonging crowd. It offers A.) proof of an afterlife, and B.) a little extra time with the loved one they were so unwilling to give up.

What I don't understand is,  if you strongly believe in an afterlife and you strongly believe in a loving, forgiving, compassionate Savior, and you strongly believe that Heaven is a place with no pain, just total joy and love and fulfillment WHY would  you insist on forcing  a dying person to remain trapped in an pain ridden earthly body instead of letting them move on to the next plane of existence?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2005, 08:46:56 AM »

Yes, the soundtrack LP of Li'l Abner is real stereo on the orchestra - as stated, it's a completely different orchestra (and sometimes orchestration) from the film itself.  They took the vocals, built click tracks and just rerecorded everything for the album.  I do think there are one or two vocals on the album that differ from the film, but that's it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2005, 08:52:29 AM »

I shall be E&T today since I am one of the parent chaperones at Field Trip Day to the Zoo.  Oy.

Ginny, we're watching the doc on Easter Parade, too!

I've been on a Pat Metheny kick all week, but played the great Celtic fusion band Lunasa this morning.  (My good friend and occasional recording partner, celebrated Downbeat critics' poll winner jazz guitarist John Stowell, once cracked me up when he said, "In the world of jazz guitar there's Pat Metheny and everyone else".  Perhaps BK's close personal friend Grant Geissman can relate).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:53:04 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2005, 09:00:38 AM »

Perhaps this will be refreshing!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2005, 09:04:05 AM »

I shall be E&T today since I am one of the parent chaperones at Field Trip Day to the Zoo.  Oy.
Those parents need to be watched carefully!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2005, 09:05:10 AM »

I DO love that massive sounding orchestra on the ABNER soundtrack album. In fact, I was thoroughly familiar with the album before I ever saw the film, and I was SHOCKED, SHOCKED, SHOCKED when I didn't hear that BIG orchestra sound when viewing the movie.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2005, 09:16:06 AM »

DR Ron, re: last night's PBS PASSION.

To me it wasn't really a concert.  It was much more staged than I expected.  So I think the singers/actors should be age appropriate (to the characters they are playing).

I really do like Patti Lupone.  And as DR Jose said, she got quite good near the end.  But I still think she seemed to old for this part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up