Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SELF EVERYTHING  (Read 4564 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SELF EVERYTHING
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »

Everyone is on page four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »

Listening to Street Scene. Anyone have a favorite recording of this? I’m listening to the English National Opera version that supposedly has Catherine Zeta-Jones in it.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2020, 02:53:22 PM »

I like the John Mauceri Street Scene.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 02:53:58 PM »

Listening to the last two acts of Polypheme by Jean Cras - I love the writing.  You can find the entire opera on YouTube.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »

Page four?  Really?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »

Keith made a supermarket run this morning at 7:15am while I slept. He said the scene inside the store was surreal.. Masks, gloves, no eye contact ... and lots of personal space.  Keith, just his bag and a sanitizing wipe.

Yep, no eye contact is gonna keep everyone from getting this.  As I said, morons with masks.

;D

I get the idea of wearing a mask, but no eye contact or smiles.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »

We had a light rain while we walked this morning which kept away the fair weather folks. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2020, 02:59:08 PM »

Listening to Street Scene. Anyone have a favorite recording of this? I’m listening to the English National Opera version that supposedly has Catherine Zeta-Jones in it.

I love this recording.  The Brits' New Yaak accents are all over the place but I really like it.  Catherine Zeta Jones does the "Moon Faced Starry Eyed" song and jitterbug.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:01:21 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »

On the warm days we were surprised to see children using the playground equipment at the park.  Today no children, and there was yellow "keep out" tape around the equipment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »

I did my market run specifically for a dozen eggs.  After I paid for my purchases with my debit card I realized I forgot the eggs.  I paid cash for them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »

I've never heard the Mauceri recording, but after working with the pompous ass, I can't say I'm fond of Dame John.

John G.

« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »

I love this recording.  Catherine Zeta Jones does the "Moon Faced Starry Eyed" song and jitterbug.

Love that song.

I like the sound of the original Broadway, but it’s far from complete. I like the voices on this, so far. I don’t think I have ever listened to it before. But it’s well worth the $2 I paid for it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:44 PM »

I have Mauceri’s recording also. It’s a sickness, I guess.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »

If you can find a DVD of the 1979 or 1980 broadcast from NY  City Opera, get it.  It was a fantastic production.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »

And conducted by Mauceri, as I recall. 

John G.

« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »

Been involved with a project that was supposed to launch this morning. It still hasn’t. People are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Since I can’t do anything to help, I’ve been monitoring everything from the sidelines, which is only a little less frustrating than it is for the key player.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »

If you can find a DVD of the 1979 or 1980 broadcast from NY  City Opera, get it.  It was a fantastic production.

I seem to recall watching that. I would have been in high school then and we read the original play then.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »

Maybe pbs.org is offering it.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:34 PM »

Yes, Mauceri is a piece of work, but the Street Scene recording is very good - some of his more lauded CDs are, for my money, not so hot.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »

Maybe pbs.org is offering it.

It would be a bootleg DVD.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 03:43:29 PM »

Our county just went from 19 confirmed cases to 48.  That probably doesn't seem like many to those of you in L.A. or NYC.

John G.

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2020, 03:45:29 PM »

The ENO production is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC5GDSJ6jTw

I loved their version of Moon-faced, Starry-eyed on the disc.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »

I also love the recordings of Italy in Technicolor on both Lost in Boston II and Bagley's disc.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »

Speaking of morons in masks - saw that my Pepcid from Amazon was delivered, so drove to the mail place.  There were a couple of folks standing outside the door but inside there was only one person, so in I went, as always, and tell them there's a package for me, as I didn't bring in the key to my box.  So, one of the guys on the sidewalk, loaded with packages to ship (who ARE these people) and yes, wearing a face mask, barrels up to the counter and turns to me and starts berating me about coming in and that the line to get in is outside now.  How we're supposed to know that is anyone's guess, and he says, you can't just walk in here to ship stuff before us.  I held up my hands and said, do you see me shipping anything?  I, unlike you, pay a lot of money to have a box here and let me tell you how I'm coming directly in to get its contents, including packages.  He apologized and I was handed two packages and just wanted out of there.  It wasn't until I'd driven away that I realized he hadn't given me the Amazon package at all - just two other little things of no importance.  So, now, oh joy, I get to go back there tomorrow to get what I should have and would have gotten today if it wasn't for the masked avenger.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2020, 04:53:39 PM »

Speaking of morons in masks - saw that my Pepcid from Amazon was delivered, so drove to the mail place.  There were a couple of folks standing outside the door but inside there was only one person, so in I went, as always, and tell them there's a package for me, as I didn't bring in the key to my box.  So, one of the guys on the sidewalk, loaded with packages to ship (who ARE these people) and yes, wearing a face mask, barrels up to the counter and turns to me and starts berating me about coming in and that the line to get in is outside now.  How we're supposed to know that is anyone's guess, and he says, you can't just walk in here to ship stuff before us.  I held up my hands and said, do you see me shipping anything?  I, unlike you, pay a lot of money to have a box here and let me tell you how I'm coming directly in to get its contents, including packages.  He apologized and I was handed two packages and just wanted out of there.  It wasn't until I'd driven away that I realized he hadn't given me the Amazon package at all - just two other little things of no importance.  So, now, oh joy, I get to go back there tomorrow to get what I should have and would have gotten today if it wasn't for the masked avenger.

I knew as soon as you said there were people outside and only 1 person inside.  Haven't you been reading the rules ;D

Jane

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2020, 04:54:06 PM »

I would have asked if there was a separate line for pick up.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »

In the 99-year history of See's Candy they have had only one interruption in making candy, and that was during WWII due to rationing.  Recently they closed all the stores and were only selling online.

Today I received a notice they have temporarily suspended operations.  Refunds will be made on orders not shipped yet.

:( 

Jane

« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

I did not have an order but was contemplating placing one.  I wanted my coffee candies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up