Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY  (Read 22483 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2005, 09:11:01 PM »

It's so annoying to want a salad with ranch dressing and croutons and not be able to have it.  Feh.  I know I could go to Gelson's and bring home, but I only want a salad with ranch dressing and croutons if it's from Marie Callendar's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »

I don't remember the Grapevine.  Hody's I remember (corner of Sunset and Vine).  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »

CharlesPogue-  I don't think age is the culprit for the shopping malaise that has befallen you. Even here, the sense of adventure-shopping has diminished with the serious reduction of mom-and-pop-type book and music stores. I used to haunt the East Village when I moved here, less than 10 years ago (already past its prime) and scour record bins, boxes of records out in front of bookshops, etc. So many places are gone. There is only one large used book store and it is not well organized, in my opinion. Even used CD stores seem to have very little in terms of those "treasure" finds that made it so rewarding. I guess the trade-off is being able to find most anything on the 'net, but something is definitely being lost for the book and record store warriors among us.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2005, 09:19:47 PM »

Isn't FROUNCE the newest Sondheim show?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:59 PM »

The tears of uneaten croutons. :(

Matthew

« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »

Speaking of used CD's/DVD's. the DP and I just returned from a local CD/DVD place that we discovered which sells new and used CD's/DVD's.... let's just say it's a dangerous place to go :)  I ended up with 4 two-disk Disney Special Edition DVD's (Alice, Lion King 2, Aladin, Home on the Range) USED - for 1/2 as much as I would have paid for them new.  It's all very cool and TOO close and TOO dangerous.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2005, 09:28:46 PM »

Speaking of cartoons, gosh knows I wasn't looking for this, but today I found myself watching an utterly mad internet cartoon called "House of Cosbys" about a guy who finds a hair of Bill Cosby's and clones him. He gets carried away, and the quality of each Cosby diminishes with each clone, EXCEPT every 10th clone has amazing super powers. Watching it I laughed a lot, while simultaneously feeling like our culture has passed some absurd point of self-referential dementia from which we can never return.
There are 3 episodes to view on channel101.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 09:31:08 PM by Rodzinski »

Matthew

« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2005, 09:32:24 PM »

bk - this very evening I had salad with Ranch dressing and croutons at a Marie Calendar's. sadly, it was the best thing I ate.

Michael

« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2005, 09:32:53 PM »

All those DR out there in the dark. I have been working on a special surprise for a DR  all day. I just finished the first draft. Take a look and tell me what you think!

It is designed to fit the whole screen of your monitor.

http://www.brucekimmel.com/LarryMooreWelcomePage.htm
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2005, 09:40:26 PM »

Congratulations. Absolutely wonderful Michael. In fact - truly scrumptious.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2005, 09:44:12 PM »

Wow -DR MICHAEL SHAYNE - what a great collection of info!  I am sure DR ELMORE will be pleased!  Congratulations!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2005, 09:44:47 PM »

I think Burger King has a new Chicken Ranch Sandwich!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2005, 09:44:53 PM »

I believe Larry is now working on creating the Michael Shayne site.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2005, 10:08:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Good show tonight.  No keyboard malfunction, and I only had one quasi-mistake.

:)

I walked up and down Beale Street after the show just to walk up and down Beale Street on a busy weekend night.  Lots of loud music, and people carrying their "Big Ass Beers".  Eh...

I almost stopped in Huey's for a burger - they have great burgers, but I resisted.  Maybe tomorrow between shows.  We'll see.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »

Click on Larry and enter!?!

I think we need TCB here to comment, because I don't dare! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2005, 10:09:42 PM »

Well, I'm tuckered out.  And since we lose an hour tonight, and have an earlier matinee tomorrow... (ugh)...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2005, 10:10:56 PM »

OH!!

DR Jrand - I thought it was just the upper NW corner of Indiana that did not observe DST?  I noticed a notice on the callboard stating that we would NOT have to change our clocks again when we get there on Monday.

Who knew?  I didn't?
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2005, 10:19:05 PM »

The NW corner does observe it because it is more associated with Chicago than Indiana. There are a couple other areas too, I do believe.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2005, 10:25:33 PM »

Moreover (from webexhibits.org):
Indiana is one of three U.S. states which do not Spring ahead from "standard" to "daylight saving" time or Fall back from daylight to standard six months later. Arizona and Hawaii are the others. By State Law, most of Indiana is on Eastern Standard Time (EST) all year long.

The statute creates three different time arrangements in the Hoosier State:

77 counties (including state capital Indianapolis) are in the Eastern Time Zone but do not change to Daylight time in April; instead they remain on Standard Time all year long;

10 counties -- five near Chicago, IL, and five near Evansville, IN, are in the Central Time Zone and use both Central Standard and Central Daylight; [green on map and chart] and

five other counties -- two near Cincinnati, OH, and three near Louisville, KY -- are in the Eastern Time Zone but use both Eastern Standard and Eastern Daylight

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2005, 10:40:52 PM »

Michael Shayne,  Very impressive elmore page!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2005, 10:47:06 PM »

Very nice page, Shayne.  Now go update everything else. :-)

I'm really irked about my salad with ranch dressing and croutons.  REALLY irked.  I ended up eating some Rice-a-Roni that I had in the cupboard.  It was okay, but it wasn't a salad with ranch dressing and croutons.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2005, 11:02:04 PM »

Der Brucer and I spent the evening at the local piano bar, Partners, having a wonderful time being pianoed.  It turned out that Matthew, the piano man, loves Stephen Schwartz's work, so we heard plenty of that.  It also turned out that he also loves the work of Jason Robert Brown, so we've loaned him the disc he did with Lauren Kennedy, along with the OCR of A New Brain, which he hasn't heard yet.

But we also spent a goodly amount of time talking with the owner of the place, getting all sorts of dish about the happenings around town.  Nice, friendly dish.

Not bad for a day we thought would be special simply because der B spotted flying squirrels!  (Which I think ties in nicely with the TOD and Rocky and Bullwinkle... but we haven't spotted a moose yet.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 11:06:14 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2005, 11:07:35 PM »

But the weather is still quite drippity.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2005, 11:12:41 PM »

I almost forgot.

Re: The Point.

The original TV broadcast was narrated by Dustin Hoffman.  A later TV broadcast was narrated by Alan Thicke.  The LP was released with narration by Harry Nillson.  When the cartoon was released on VHS, and later on LaserDisc, the narration was by Ringo Starr.

Confusing, isn't it?  (Rhetorical question, or maybe a Scarlettorical question, I'm not sure which.)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up