Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE  (Read 24785 times)

Jennifer

Re:INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2003, 11:04:58 AM »

Hey happy Wednesday!

Still not feeling great. But much better than before. Sinuses hurt, but are slowly getting back to normal. I slept through the whole night for the second night in a row. Yeah for that. And yeah for the snow melting.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2003, 11:07:15 AM »

We were totally down for a few minutes about this time yesterday and then about an hour ago.  Then after the site came back today for a short time there was a message to feed your dog or drink coffee and try again later.  These are the times I noticed a problem, but there may have been others when I was not trying to access the site or board.  While these short outages are certainly better than the day long problems on the old board, I was under the impression that this would never happen with the new software and was one of the main reasons for the change.  I hope these problems get ironed out quickly and I'm sure that is one thing that other DRs will agree with me on.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2003, 11:13:30 AM »

The computer just deleted the assignment I spent an hour and forty minutes doing, so I'm going to go cry before I have to go to my Geology class.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2003, 12:01:45 PM »

And because things are moving very slowly (at least on my computer) let's not post images until I find out what the problem is - I'm sure we'll be normal by the afternoon,

Now, just a cotton-pickin minute there, BK.  You may be normal by this afternoon, but I have no intention of getting back to normal anytime in the foreseeable future.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2003, 12:06:23 PM »

Matthew Perry may not be there, but you'll still be able to Parry and Thrust at Sandra's Academy of Fencing

Tomovoz

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2003, 12:06:56 PM »

At last some good news. Thank you TCB.Who wants normal anyway?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2003, 12:22:58 PM »

I lost the site for a few minutes then. Thanks to those who attempted to enlighten me re movie songs this year. It seems very few of us go to the movies these days. Maybe some of the younger Kimlets  know a few movie songs this year that have been pop hits.. Diane Warren (sp) must have written another dozen ballads. Thanks MAtt re "Treasure Planet" - we often get movies released very late here (particularly ones for kids) so I am never sure of their year of release. François is still hoping for a movie release of "Finding Nemo" for Christmas. At least we have had that one. "Sea Biscuit" opens here today. (Surley that managed a song for the end titles).
DR Ben. I guess you don't mind the spotlight switching to Ant.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2003, 12:27:11 PM »

DR Tom, no I don't. It's good to see someone still attacking the biz. I loved performing and would love to do something again but the day to day folderol can just be too much. I'll let Ant stand in the sunshine now.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2003, 12:39:05 PM »

The Boy Who Cried

When I was a minor, I cried a lot.  When life seemed unfair, when teachers were mean, when bullies bullied (as they did on a daily basis), torrents of tears would fall.

And of course, boys are told that boys don't cry.  I got the message that it's not OK to cry.  And then I got taken to some musicals: Brigadoon, Mame, Young Abe Lincoln, HMS Pinafore.  In the audience, I got a different message: It's OK to cry.  As long as you're watching a musical.

I guess I began to believe that musicals create a great release for people: they let you cry in public.  Later, when I read Aristotle on the need for catharsis, I learned that this Aristotle guy had come up with the same theory of theatre thousands of years earlier.

Oddly, it was Brigadoon that gave me my first lead role in school.  I was the Eighth Grade Tommy Albright to beat all Eighth Grade Tommy Albright.  And, at the time, I could hum enough original melodies to make up an entire musical school.  In Ninth Grade, I wrote my first musical, down on paper and everything.  I went to the college where Hammerstein, Rodgers and Hart had written shows, and, got the impression that I could do something that not that many people could do: write musicals.  I was the youngest member of Lehman Engel's writing workshop at BMI.  And I also got the impression that actors are not treated very well.  So I left acting to the zillions of others who could do it just as well, or better.

At my sixth musical to get produced while I was in my 20's, I was unsure how the second act was playing, so I asked my father about it.  He said "We were all crying" and I thought, good, Dad probably needed a good cry.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2003, 12:55:45 PM »

Hey, man, where in tarnation IS everyone?  This is worse than yesterday and yesterday was close to being one of our slowest days.  Is this a holiday week or something?  Let's get some postin' goin' on while I continue being inundated with footage.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2003, 01:26:41 PM »

I'm right here, BK, sitting in the cyber cafe of my school after Western Civ class!

It's so interesting reading about everyone's initiation to life upon the wicked stage (oh, a Kern and Hammerstein reference!)  

LC--I won the game, thank God!  I was shuddering at the prospect of calling him "Your Majesty" for one whole rehearsal, but I guess I lucked out and got a bunch of easy questions.  We were playing with the Genus edition from like, the 70's, so all the pink questions he got (he needed his pink pie-piece) were questions along the lines of "What was the name of the dog on Insert Obscure 50's Detective Show Here."  Tomorrow, everyone in Macbeth should have the unique privilege of seeing the King of Scotland in a dress!!!

Hmm...I've been performing since I was 10 or so.  I originally enrolled in acting class because I was shy and my parents thought it would help me break out of my introspective little shell.  Well, it did its job and I've been a loud "theatre animal" ever since...I guess I've been in about 10 full-length plays/musicals or so and a lot of recitals and things when I was younger.  I'm still trying to decide though if I want to pursue musical theatre or writing as my ultimate career choice.

Jrand--What a tough question!  I love big, flashy production numbers but I also love small-scale intimate numbers.  If I had a preference though...I like a big flashy brassy number with ensemble and glitter and all.  But it isn't necesarry by any means!

I can't think of a good Ask BK or DR question, but maybe I'll have one later.  :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2003, 01:27:23 PM »

Just made a quick visit to tarnation and could not recognise anyone. Try elsewhere. (maybe I should be looking for posters who don't look like the photos here !)
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2003, 01:34:48 PM »

I'm just out of bed.  I was up and down all night.  For those who were certain that I am "full of 'it'", I assure you that problem has been eradicated.

Now I am minus 'it.'  and I'm a tad hungry, a tad thirsty, shivering in my skivvies as I sit here writing instead of swaddling myself in my blankets.

DR Sandra:  For your "selling points" for your fencing company, you might consider -- "No other fencing company of any kind can provide the one-on-one security and self-confidence that ours can provide!"

Or, "For those who don't want to be 'fenced in,' learning to fence can give you the secure edge you need for self-protection."

(TCB -- NO GROANING ALLOWED).

BK:   What is the status of the Broadway-bound "The First Nudie Musical"?

BK:   What's the word on the response (critical/sales) to "Jeepers Creepers"?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »

I have a question for BK, but this should probably go on the tech board, but maybe others will agree that don't read the tech board.  This has to do with the reminders at the top of each page here.  When someone (either you or MarkB or Craig) post something about a new Juliana's Journal entry or whatever, would it be possible to put the date that it's posted so whenever we log on and see the reminder, we don't go to the journal and find we've already read that entry.   It's just a thought.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 01:50:37 PM by Matthew »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2003, 01:52:15 PM »

DR Maya the answer to that TP question is Asta.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2003, 01:53:22 PM »

You ask where everyone is.  Maybe some DRs don't have the patience to wait for each screen to load since it is taking an unusually long time today.  I don't mind the extra scrolling and clicking on the new board except that it takes a very long time for each screen to load... especially today after the board was briefly down.  The old version of the site used to load instantly, but the new one takes longer to load initially and then you have to wait as the second page of notes and the pages to get to the "new" portion of the notes post.  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2003, 02:02:02 PM »

Loading is indeed slow today - and I can't blame all the photos.
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2003, 02:07:18 PM »

Alright, I have a question for BK, granted it isn't musical theatre related but I want to know anyways. And this can turn into an ask dr question as well!

Describe your dream house:)

Back to work studying! (I just got a B and a B+... that is not good!)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2003, 02:09:12 PM »

Like bk, I have a dial-up connection as opposed to cable modem or some other broadband connection, and unless a page is crammed with images, I have never noticed a particularly slow page loading time. Even with pages crammed with images, it's never more than 30 seconds or so to load a page, and I certainly don't mind waiting for the quality of images we've been gietting since the forum went deluxe.

Sorry to hear of your bad night, DR Ron. Hope the "inside plumbing" is back to normal or getting that way. I know how miserable that can be. I had a particularly horrible night last Friday and didn't get more than 5 or 6 hours sleep total. That made Saturday a VERY long day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2003, 02:11:08 PM »

Not having any loading problems here in Oakland.  May be a locational thing?  Serverwise??

I don't know poop about computerese so I'm sure Mr. Mark Bakalor will get to the bottom of it all.

In due time, of course....after many bitch-slappings all around.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2003, 02:16:50 PM »

Sandra, that is so upsetting and frustrating.  Do you have an automatic 5 minute back up on your computer?  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2003, 02:21:56 PM »

I really do not enjoy going out to movies much any more. I will go for something I really, really want to see (CHICAGO) or to see something that I think will be enhanced by a theater-sized widescreen (the upcoming RETURN OF THE KING), but for an ordinary film, my home theater functions just fine.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2003, 02:25:34 PM »

No, there was no back-up. It just closed and I lost  everything. *Crying*

So now I'm trying to do it at home, and then I have to write an essay for tomorrow.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2003, 02:33:02 PM »

Sandra, I don’t know how to install a backup but maybe someone here can explain how it’s done.  In the meantime try to remember to stop and back up your file once in away.  You have received some very witty suggestions for your fencing school, but I must admit to liking yours the best so far.  Good luck with the assignment.    

Jane

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2003, 02:35:29 PM »

Sandra just realized you weren’t at home when you lost the work.  Do you have the backup on your personal computer?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2003, 02:41:53 PM »

Well...I am not having any loading problems...hmmmmmmmm.   I am watching THE HEIRESS - and that is a terrific movie.  Miss Olivia deHavilland richly deserved her Academy Award for this performance - and I only wish the Mr Montgomery Clift, Mr Ralph Richardson, and Miss Miriam Hopkins had also been similarly rewarded.

"Yes...he came to wrong house....and he came twice.  I will see that he does not come a third time."

"Oh - can you be so cruel?"

"Yes, I can be very cruel.  I have been taught by masters."

Did any DR see the revival a few seasons ago on Broadway?  Would love to hear some recollections of productions of this play.  It is a stunner.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2003, 02:49:35 PM »

No, no backup. I was doing it all at school because it has to be done on Windows XP and then uploaded to the school's network. And I couldn't save because every time I tried, it said there wasn't enough disk space.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2003, 02:53:35 PM »

I have not noticed any loading problems today other than when the boards were down, but I have a broadband connection.  Glad to see everything seems to be working again - I did, as the maintenance message suggested, go and pet my cat.   ;D

I am really enjoying reading everyone's acting answers!  Thank you for sharing.

Jrand - if you mean the revival with Cherry Jones, I saw it.  It was before I lived here and I had just flown in overnight, so I was rather jet-lagged and groggy.  I really don't remember very much about it other than she was amazing, and turned me into a fan.  But the play itself is, I agree, a stunner!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2003, 03:00:30 PM »

I do not believe it is the slow loading that is causing the dearth of posts.  I believe there are errant and truant people perusing the board but not posting, that is what I think.  I think this happens whenever I say we need more posts.  It is psychological.  I know that it is psychological because every time I say we nee d more posts people go out of their way to post less.  That is just psychological if you ask me.  So, no more damn posts.  Enough is enough as my friends Barbra and Donna used to say.  Today's number of posts would not even be worthy of the other board (not the CONTENT - we always LOVE the content no matter how many posts there are) but it is especially unworthy of the benchmark we've set for ourselves on this new board.  Or are we suddenly unworthy of your posts.  That reminds me of a song from Assassins:

I am unworthy of your posts
Hainsies/Kimlets
I am unworthy of your posts

Nudie: After the first producer flaked, I was contacted by another producer who was very gung ho and wanted to do a workshop in December and bring it to NY mid-next year.  Sadly, he, too, seems to be a flake and I am now completely bored with flakes.  So, no news, other than the property is now with two other producers, who are checking it out.

Jeeper's Creepers: Richard knows more about sales than I (I think it's doing just fine) but the reaction to the album has been pretty wonderful from everyone.

Dream house: I guess I like where I am - I'm sure it would be fun  to have a view, though, so my dream dream house might have a beautiful view in every direction.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2003, 03:00:46 PM »

I won the game, thank God!  I was shuddering at the prospect of calling him "Your Majesty" for one whole rehearsal, but I guess I lucked out and got a bunch of easy questions.  We were playing with the Genus edition from like, the 70's, so all the pink questions he got (he needed his pink pie-piece) were questions along the lines of "What was the name of the dog on Insert Obscure 50's Detective Show Here."  Tomorrow, everyone in Macbeth should have the unique privilege of seeing the King of Scotland in a dress!!

I think they call it a kilt, Maya.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up