Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE  (Read 24843 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:INUNDATED WITH FOOTAGE
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2003, 03:05:25 PM »

Noel, I liked your story.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2003, 03:08:32 PM »

I think that MDS hit the nail on the head about songs from movies.  When I was growing up in the '50s and '60s (no, children, not the 1850s and 60s) there were dozens (possibly even hundreds) of radio staions that played M-O-R, or Middle of the Road, music like Peggy Lee, Dionne Warwick, Sinatra, Percy Faith, etc.  It was a whole genre of music that doesn't seem to exist anymore.  Oh, I mean you can still find that type of music, but you have to know where to look for it.  We also had the variety shows on television, the Ed Sullivans, the Andy Williams, the Perry Comos.  Also, there were more supper clubs and concert venues that booked these entertainers.  All of these areas brought this type of music and these artists to the public's attention.  Even if you didn't see a move all year, you knew the songs and the themes from all of the movies, because you heard them all year round.  I feel very sorry for the people who are trying to make a career as a singer or songwriter, unless you are into rap or heavy metal (like Macbeth).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2003, 03:09:50 PM »

I must be one of the few people here who enjoys seeing current films in the theater, despite high admission prices and rude audience members.  It's something about the big screen!  Anyway, I don't really know from movie songs, but I have noticed a dearth of quality songs during the end titles in movies lately.  I'm sure all the end-of-the-year Oscar contenders will bring out the big guns, like Lord of the Rings.  When I saw Cold Mountain there were some beautiful songs in the film, but the end credits were not ready yet so I didn't get to see who sang them.  I bet Bob Dylan will garner a nomination for Masked and Anonymous, which was a terrible movie but was a nice showcase for his music.  Or perhaps Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger singing the title song from Down with Love, which was a lovely song composed by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

DR Ron - hope you feel better.

PS.  Thank you to the karma fairy.  :)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2003, 03:22:26 PM »

Thanks LC!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2003, 03:27:22 PM »

Bruce, speaking of Jeepers Creepers and sales, has it "gone wide" yet?  I was in the Creature Features Shop yesterday on Olive in Burbank (looking for the latest copy of Scarlet Street which has the second part of my interview in it...didn't find it) and prominently displayed on the check-out counter was the Jeepers Creepers album.  They also had several more copies in the regular CD bins.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:26 PM »

I feel very sorry for the people who are trying to make a career as a singer or songwriter, unless you are into rap or heavy metal (like Macbeth).

TCB, it's posts like that that make me wish I could go back in time to see what that was like!  This is tangential, but my family used to be in the restaurant business way back when and this included a lounge/nightclub, and my grandmother was in charge of entertaining the talent when they came to Hawaii - she got to meet and show around town people like Nat King Cole, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, etc.  I only found this out recently and had no idea my grandmother was so cool!  lol

As for trying to make a career as a singer or songwriter, I think there might be hope yet.  There are many young artists writing and performing their own music these days, that sell well.  I think a lot of young people are sick of having Britney and boy bands crammed down their throat and are embracing pop (often informed by folk, jazz, etc.) music with more substance.  Some of the new singers/songwriters are really talented and I hope they will be able to have career longevity, though they are fighting a risk-averse culture monopolized by Clear Channel that prefers to manufacture hits and treats artists as products and demands instant sales, or else.

I guess this doesn't address your point that there are whole genres of music that don't get exposed to people because radio is so conservative, which is a whole other problem  :(, but at least there is the internet and sites like these that are so informative.

OK, that rant turned out a lot longer than I was expecting.  At least I am getting closer to Jr. Member status!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2003, 03:30:48 PM »

Jeepers Creepers will only be available online and in specialty shops like Creature Features and Footlight, etc.  It will never be at Tower or any place like that.  When I am ready to explain how the new label will work I'll have lots more detail - don't want to be giving anyone any ideas at this stage of the game, because people do like to take others' ideas - it's flattery, I know.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2003, 03:35:26 PM »

TCB, sadly I can’t get a radio station with those songs.  There was one when we first moved here but it just had to become an all talk radio show.  I hate it.  There is an excellent station in L.A. but I couldn’t find it last time I was there.  Who can tell me what channel it’s on?

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2003, 03:36:23 PM »

Hey everyone!  I'm here at work, and am in the process of making my fourth Quizilla.com quiz.  This one is What Broadway Musical Theatre Actor is your Ideal Match?  I'll post the link when I'm done....the choices are Stokes, Brent the WSMA, Gavin Creel, John Barrowman and....Nathan Lane.

Jrand and TCB--LOL!  You guys crack me up, ya do!!

I love going to see movies in theatres too, although not so much paying for that.  I don't think I've been to an actual movie in a theatre though for like a month.  

I liked your rant, LC!  :D

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2003, 03:38:42 PM »

Warning: THIS IS A VANITY POST.

I want to be a full member, goshdarnit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2003, 03:46:42 PM »

I think this whole thing is psychological.  There are yet more changes (invisible changes, you won't notice them) afoot which will make us faster, better, and safer.  I'll tell you about them as soon as they are in place.  These are all server-based changes and they won't effect any dear readers or the way anything works - it will just make everything more efficient.

That said, I think this whole thing is psychlological.  Now, clothing report right this minute - and some questions would be nice, too.

Burgandy polo shirt, jeans. sneakers and a Bullshit baseball cap.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2003, 03:47:15 PM »

Dear Reader Jane:

Actually, there are two radio stations in L.A. that play "our" kind of music.

KSURF plays on 540 and 1260 on the AM dial:  http://www.ksurf.am.  Depending where you are in Southern California, one frequency will be clearer than the other.

KLAC plays on 570 on the AM dial and can also be heard over the internet.  http://www.570klac.com/main.html

KLAC tends to carry more commercials than KSURF, in my belief.  Pity this music cannot be found on the FM Dial.  I know there are internet radio stations that can be found that play this type of music, too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 04:00:07 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2003, 03:50:48 PM »

Blue and white pinstripe button-down collar shirt, blue wool V-neck sleeveless sweater vest, bluejeans, black woven leather belt, black oxford shoes, white T-shirt, white boxers, white athletic socks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 03:58:13 PM by Jay »

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2003, 03:52:18 PM »

Thanks, Maya!

Jay - only one sock?

Old dark blue long-sleeved shirt and gray sweatpants.

Jay

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2003, 03:57:50 PM »

I'm with you, Dear Reader LC.  As I've said before, I like seeing flix in the theatres for the big screen image, superior sound, and the je ne sais quoi that comes with seeing a film as part of an audience.  Perhaps it's a function of the films I choose to see, or the quality of the audience drawn to the theatres I frequent, but, with small exception, I do not encounter the rude audiences that some other dear readers have alluded to.

Oh yes, one other thing.  Since so much is driven by opening weekend box office these days, I do try to support those small independent films that have special appeal for me by trying to see them when they first open.  

Jay

« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2003, 03:59:24 PM »

I just love the  "Modify" feature on this here site.  Now people will wonder what the hell DR LC was referring to.   ;)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2003, 04:04:37 PM »

Good afternoon all.  
Question for anyone who's ever been in a college choir  We had a cancelled reheasral tomorrow, which today our director decided to un-cancel.  I'd already told my babysitting family that I could take the 16 month old all day because I had no reherasal.  So I told my director that his options were no me at all tomorrow, or me with baby in tow. He told me "sure, bring the kid along, just don't miss class."  Is this nuts?  I can't back out of babysitting...their regular backup, the grandmother, is out of town, so I've gotta take him.  But I totally didn't except my director to take that option.  I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Clothing - Dark blue jeans, stretchy burgundy shirt with three-quarter length sleeves, white socks, white tennis shoes with blue stars on them.  

Charles Pogue

« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2003, 04:05:04 PM »

Jane,  There are two pretty good standard stations in LA right now...570 & 1260.  God forgive me, I'm blanking on their call letters right now...Ah, 1260 is KSURF, I think.  Both are pretty good, but both could broaden their palette a little.  You get far too much Linda Ronstadt and others of the older rock ilk now crooning standards, mixed with the Tony Bennetts and Ellas.  Still there's a lot of voices I've yet to hear on these stations...like Vic Damone, Johnny Hartman, Brook Benton, Buddy Clark, Helen Merrill, Bobby Short, etc.  They could also mix a little big band or show tunes in with it.   This would actually be an excellent venue in which to play all the sort of things Mr. Kimmel produces and all the artists he features.  Why not a little Brent Barrett and Guy Haines?  Mr. Kimmel, you should speak to these program directors.

1260 at one time tried an all show tune format.  It failed; largely, because they did not stay true to their mission statement.  They claimed they would give you show tunes from both the movies and films and would also interperse it with great standard singers singing their cover versions of Broadway and movie hits (and let's face it, probably 75 percent of the great standards  came from some show or movie).  But they gave us very little movie show tunes, almost none of the standard cover versions, and they would give you far too much current Broadway and Lloyd Webber, not nearly enough from the great fifties book shows and the 30's and 40's.  

So far the standards stations are certainly preferable to the right-wing screamfests that inundate most of the stations out here, but if I here Sunday in New York (as much as I like it) one more time I may be the one screaming or Diana Ross and the Supremes singing Rodgers and Hart, or Dionne Warrick doing Cole Porter covers with the worst synthesized orchestrations I have ever heard...

When I was back in Cincinnati last week, they had a great station, WMKV, sort of a fogie station, but they played terrific standards and big band stuff.  It's supposed to be listenable to on the internet.

I too remember when top forty stations bled into other arenas besides just rock n roll.  Elvis, Tony Bennett, the Drifters, Johnny Cash, Sinatra, Faron Young, Jackie Wilson, Dinah Washington, and even Louis Armstrong singing Hello, Dolly peacefully co-existed together in a rich top 40 tapestry.

So just how does one become a full member around here?  Is it number of posts?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2003, 04:07:04 PM »

May I inquire what that silly baby picture is down in the corner of each post?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2003, 04:08:13 PM »

Oh, and pale yellow undies and white bra, to be complete :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2003, 04:09:30 PM »

"And why what is it, fish?"  is on mine?  I can understand why it's on Bruce's, but not mine?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2003, 04:12:34 PM »

Is it me, or did the appearance of this site just change??

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2003, 04:13:14 PM »

Oh, and just changed back...it must be my computer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2003, 04:14:09 PM »

And one more shameless vanity post to get me to 50 posts... :D

Jay

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2003, 04:14:59 PM »

Dear Reader Charles Pogue:

Beat you to the punch on the radio station info.

If you roll your cursor over the baby picture, it tells you:  "View Profile."  Click on the baby picture, and it brings you to that individual's profile.

And yes, the number of posts determines status.  At 51 posts, you become a junior member.  And can give Karma points to fellow Dear Readers.  At 101 posts, you become a full member.

BTW, Dear Donald had a Sunday show on 1260 when it was the all Broadway format.  That was how I was first introduced to him.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 04:16:41 PM by Jay »

Ben

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2003, 04:16:48 PM »

You can't change the baby picture (that takes you to a reader's profile)but you can change the phrase. It involves going into your own profile and removing that phrase and replacing with something of your own choosing. And yes, full membership is determined by the number of posts a DR makes.

Ben

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2003, 04:17:29 PM »

Old Navy Lounge pants and an AIDS Walk T-shirt

Ben

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2003, 04:18:17 PM »

And Jay beat me to Charle's questions

Jay

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2003, 04:19:12 PM »

DR CP:

Click on the baby picture on one of your own posts and you'll be brought to your own profile.  There you can change "What is it, fish?" to anything your heart desires.  Or nothing at all.  There's also space to place a longer tagline, i.e., where DR LC places her quotation from Dante.  It's at the profile page, too, where you can load in a picture of yourself so we all can  see what you look like.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 05:13:05 PM by Jay »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2003, 04:31:37 PM »

I think this whole thing is psychological.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  I think Mr. Charles Pogue needs to have a photo, don't you, dear readers?  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up