Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME WARP  (Read 20024 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:TIME WARP
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2005, 06:21:25 PM »

Well, I saw a movie in an actual theatre today. First time since I don't know when. It was called SIN CITY. Don't want to say too much, in case there are those who plan to see it, but it did do a good job re-creating the world of violent comic books. Mickey Rourke comes off quite well in a meaty role.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2005, 06:23:53 PM »

What kind of dance is a page 4 dance at 9:30pm est?

Everybody do the Turtle....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2005, 06:54:15 PM »

Michael Shayne, thank you for the wonderful Larry Moore website. :D :D :D

elmore mentioned photos.  Are there some of people and if so where?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2005, 06:59:37 PM »

I'm logey
What I am is logey
Logey is the one thing that I am

Jane

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2005, 07:05:52 PM »

One of the CD's I bought at Footlights was Danny Kaye Sings Hans Christian Andersen .  

I always loved that movie and the stories.  I have the RED, GREEN, BLUE and YEllOW fairy tale books.  

I still have my original movie album. Danny Kay, my favorite childhood actor, and Hans Christian Anderson who I read almost every day.  What a wonderful combination.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2005, 07:08:25 PM »

JRand, beautiful pic of Doris.  Thank you.

Danise I would have thought, considering where you live, you would already have a lemon tree.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2005, 07:08:36 PM »

Which CD did you buy?  I reissued the soundtrack of Hans Christian Andersen coupled with The Court Jester whilst at Varese Sarabande.  It's the only CD worth owning, because we worked really hard to get tinny scratchy sound to sound decent.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2005, 07:11:46 PM »

Well, I saw a movie in an actual theatre today. First time since I don't know when. It was called SIN CITY. Don't want to say too much, in case there are those who plan to see it, but it did do a good job re-creating the world of violent comic books. Mickey Rourke comes off quite well in a meaty role.

It sure did!!  And he sure does!!  We also thought the rest of the cast did an excellent job.  They could easily have come across as silly and campy but didn’t.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2005, 07:20:50 PM »

Never heard of it - Sin City, that is.  Is it Robert Rodriguez?  By the by, I just read some interesting news that Mr. Rodriguez is involved with special editions of several of his movies, including The Faculty.  Praying this is true, for there will be MONEY for ME if it is, should it sell even reasonably well.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2005, 07:22:34 PM »

Bruce maybe I need to find the CD.  I don’t listen to my album very often.  The COURT JESTER is a big bonus.

Favorite Hans Christian Anderson:
The Princess and the Pea
The Ugly Duckling
The Red Shoes
Thumbelina

http://hca.gilead.org.il/#list

That is all I have time for now-Keith is ready to watch something now.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2005, 07:22:49 PM »

Bollywood...Hollywood...pttteuy! (I don't know how to spell that)...I have a new love...Hong Kong musicals! Just finished watching the 1960s film HONG KONG RHAPSODY...you would think you were watching an extravagent Ross Hunter produced Rodgers and Hammerstein wide screen Hollywood musical...except that everyone is speaking Chinese! LOL! It was very funny and the musical numbers were out of this world! Oddly enough it was directed by a Japanese director.

This was a VCD sent to me by my long time friend David who lives in Seattle...he gets them in Chinatown. I am now seriously considering getting me an all region DVD player so that I can purchase some of these movies on DVD (VCD just doesn't do the movies justice).

I must get this 1959 musical!!!

It just looks like too much fun!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 07:23:44 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2005, 07:30:13 PM »

Hmmm...and I think I may need to get this 1957 musical...MAMBO GIRL!

I am going to shop for a region free DVD player right now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2005, 07:30:48 PM »

I must see these Hong Kong musicals - get me titles and a website, 'cause I've got me two all-region players, don't I?

Jane, I can burn you a CD if you want it.  I wish I'd kept some extras, but I only had a few and people got those away from me.  I'm sure it's out of print by now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2005, 07:34:42 PM »

Has anyone seen this completely odd recent Alain Resnais film called Not on the Lips?  It's a complete musical based on a twenties French operetta.  I'm watching it now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2005, 07:36:18 PM »

Michael Shayne, thank you for the wonderful Larry Moore website. :D :D :D

elmore mentioned photos.  Are there some of people and if so where?

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES was really a hoot tonight!

DRJane, Michael found a photo of the Utah Festival Opera production of GREENWILLOW as well as a shot of Eddie Bracken in the Houston Grand Opera BABES IN TOYLAND on the net.  I was nice to see them.  I may have to post a few shots of GREENWILLOW because it was so lovely.

My favorite Andersen story is "The Snow Queen," which has amazing biblical references and and always moves me to tears.  When I worked on the wonderful Adrian Mitchell version for the New York State Theatre Institute, I was boggled by all the references to the Easter holiday and the life of Christ in the story.  

There's also a new 2005 Viking-Penguin translation of Andersen's tales that I just picked up.  It has a good short bio of Andersen (he once stayed with Dickens and his family in London so long that he wore out his welcome and the friendship), and the stories are quite well told.

With that, to bed.  Sweet dreams, everyone!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2005, 07:40:53 PM »

BK, here is a website the sells them and seems to have good prices...

www.hkflix.com

Also look for DANCING MILLIONAIRESS....very Doris Day/Rock Hudson looking...I saw the trailer and it looked like lots of fun!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2005, 07:46:39 PM »

Has anyone seen this completely odd recent Alain Resnais film called Not on the Lips?  It's a complete musical based on a twenties French operetta.  I'm watching it now.

BK, it's based on an operetta by Yvain.  I probably have excerpts on some operetta disc about the place.  There is a recording of French excerpts from Accord, available through Amazon.com.uk

I see on the Amazon.fr site, under musique classique that the film soundtrrack  is available as well.

And good night!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »

BK, here is a website the sells them and seems to have good prices...

www.hkflix.com

This is where I got my region code-free DVD player, at BK's recommendation.  I haven't had a moment's trouble with it.  I've gotten and played DVDs from England, France and Australia!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »

Thanks George! I was so busy looking at their DVDs that I didn't take a gander at the region free players...I had looked at them at www.220-Electronics.com, but there are soooooo many to choose from...and not at all expensive!

I should have bought one of these long ago, but until now I hadn't come across any must-have DVDs from other regions. But now...

Michael

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2005, 08:08:19 PM »

Working on both websites. Updating Updating. Now I have one more quote to add to the Doris Day Page!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2005, 08:09:05 PM »

I recommend the JVC from hkflix.  So, can you give me five titles to order?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2005, 08:09:52 PM »

Doris Day made two variety specials once she started doing TV that I wish would one day be released on DVD. They were big hits in their day (I think Doris must have been one of the most beloved of all the stars of that period.), and I thinki baby boomers would get a kick out of seeing them again.

But, then again, Barbra Streisand has not had the foresight to released her 1960s TV specials on DVD yet either. I have the videotape releases, but they'd look much better on DVD if they were given the proper attention.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 08:10:25 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2005, 08:13:27 PM »

I read a review of SIN CITY that started it would clearly have gotten an NC-17 rating due to all the violence if it had been filmed in color.

When I read that, I knew I had no interest in seeing it despite that incredible cast. Mickey Rourke has walked away with all of the best reviews that I've read.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2005, 08:15:57 PM »

Which CD did you buy?  I reissued the soundtrack of Hans Christian Andersen coupled with The Court Jester whilst at Varese Sarabande.  It's the only CD worth owning, because we worked really hard to get tinny scratchy sound to sound decent.

I never knew there was an actual soundtrack album available for HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN. All I ever had on LP was the studio set with Danny Kaye (and Jane Wyman joining him). I've always loved this movie. If it's the real soundtrack recording on CD, I'll start looking for it.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »

Yes, BELLS ARE RINGING does look and sound the best it ever has on home video on the new DVD. You can see the patterns in that pink dress Holliday wears due to the sharpness of the picture. I got about an hour's worth of the movie watched before COLD CASE started.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

I recorded DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES tonight, but I won't get to watch it until tomorrow.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2005, 08:24:48 PM »

I recommend the JVC from hkflix.  So, can you give me five titles to order?

Now I am wondering should I get a region free DVD Recorder!

Here are titles that look good, musical wise:

AIR HOSTESS
MAMBO GIRL
THE DANCING MILLIONAIRESS
HONG KONG RHAPSODY
ENCHANTING SHADOW (actually a ghost film, not a musical)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 08:26:10 PM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2005, 08:44:54 PM »

Good Evening!

...I'm a bit logey too right now... Between shows today, the volunteer staff for the Orpheum hosted a potluck dinner for the cast and crew and orchestra... And since we're in Memphis...

Deviled Eggs (at least five different types!  The ones with jalapenos were particularly tasty!), cole slaw, broccoli slaw, black bean dip, scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, home fries, Tater Tot Casserole(!!!!), Green Bean Casserole, just plain green beans, green beans with bits of ham, corn, corn pudding, Frito Pie(!!), broccoli-rice-cheese casserole, cornbread, mexican cornbread, broccoli(!) cornbread, three-cheese biscuits, a Reuben "bread pudding" (I recognized the dish from a recipe that appeared in Gourmet a few years ago), smothered pork chops, spiral-sliced honey ham, fried chicken...  -And the fried chicken was very good too!

And then the dessert table!!!  -Banana pudding (with the Nilla Wafers), pecan pie, lemon pound cake, and a big sheet cake with the Mamma Mia! logo on it - half of it was vanilla cake, half of it was chocolate.  All of it was good!

Plus your choice of sweet tea or the unsweetened stuff...

So...  Needless to say, it had to be one of the best - if not the best - meal any of us had had the whole week here.  And the volunteer staff was so welcoming and friendly too.  It was great to spend some time with them.

One of the special treats of the dinner were the handcrafted centerpieces.  On each table was a sort of "sculpture" made out of pieces of styrofoam, streamers and plastic flowers.  On each "pedestal" there was one or two plastic dolls, each of them individually dressed and accessorized!  The woman who made them was a total hoot!  She makes different centerpieces for each show/cast that comes to town.  Ours were meant to represent the bridesmaids that appear in the wedding scene.  So... I took a centerpiece!  And I took a few pictures too!  *I plan to drop my film off as soon as we get into Indy tomorrow, so I should have pics to post by Wednesday.  The centerpieces are truly works of "art".

;)

...and that's why I'm a bit logey...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2005, 08:47:33 PM »

...And even though most of us were a bit "weighted" down during the second show, we had a great show.  The crowds here in Memphis have been wonderful all week.

Next week in Indy, another keyboard player will be flown in to take over another book while the Conductor flies home for a few days to see his family.  He'll be back by Saturday.  And our main drummer will be on vacation next week too, but the "sub" was on Tour 1 for a while, so, DRs Ginny, JRand and Joey - you have nothing to worry about.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2005, 08:48:25 PM »

DR MBarnum - One of the Chinese Cable channels in DC regularly show those musicals.  Truly a lot of fun!  Enjoy!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up