Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS  (Read 3346 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 07:23:55 AM »

I liked Lucy when she was in the French restaurant and asked for ketchup on her ARGOT.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »

DR JANE - I guess it's LRT - Linda Ronstadt time......

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:40 AM »

Yes, that's it!

It remains amazing to me how cheap a lot of those rental places are.  This show was making a lot of money, and they couldn't afford to create a decent rehearsal score or vocal parts. parts.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2020, 07:24:42 AM »

I love the Jacques Brel LP and played it many times when I got it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 07:33:07 AM »

I've been letting YouTube run with the autoplays on this one. Amazing to hear it after so many years.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2020, 07:36:24 AM »

I found it an adjustment, after learning the show, to listen to Brel's own solo albums. A year or two later at some record sale I picked up a series of 8 or 9 import LPs of him performing in various venues. Should take those out.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2020, 07:41:40 AM »

Here's the poster for the one I played. I don't even recognize that MD's name. They must have gone through two of them while I was filling in!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2020, 07:50:55 AM »

Today would have been New York's Gay Pride Parade.  I stopped marching when I left the Men's Chorus in 1998, and these days I would be trampled by those marching behind me, but in honor of the day, I will post this song by Fred Small as performed by my friends in the group, The Flirtations.  I dedicate it to the new grandmothers on HHW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sl2n0J3_LA
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2020, 08:16:19 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »

Vibes for TCB!

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  We've Zoomed through church and are now ready for the rest of the day.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »

Ah, "Carousel". Listening now.

Oh man, learning that score from scratch with those crazy rental materials. That was a trip. I look at it now and ask, how did I do that way back then? Well, I need to do it again.

I kept a copy of the arranger's score after I did the show in 1976.  I loved our program cover, and here are the foure principals in "Madeleine." There were six people cast, two men alternated Man I, and I added a third man.  Of those six, three are now dead.  Sad.

I loved being DR Elmore's rehearsal assistant and head waitress for the cabaret-style performance.  This afternoon I'll listen to the cast album, in memory of Elly Stone and, moreover, of our dear departed friends.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »

Well, this is cool...I don't know for how long, but both Ann, a play about former Texas governor Ann Richards starring Holland Taylor, and Gloria: A Life, a play about Gloria Steinem starring Christine Lahti, are streaming on PBS' website.  Highly recommended (unless you just don't like either subject, or either actress ;) ).

It was fun to watch my University of Michigan classmate, Christine Lahti, in this performance Friday evening.  She's come a long way from Student Lab Theatre productions in Ann Arbor!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2020, 09:26:51 AM »

Just finished a wonderful movie called Frankie. It stars Isabelle Huppert, Brendan Gleeson and Marisa Tomei -- and the amazing landscape of Sintra, Portugal, which is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. And it showed me so much of that area that I missed in my one day there.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2020, 09:37:30 AM »

Last night I "attended" an online screening of a movie about Shirley Jackson, with Elisabeth Moss in the title role.  After the movie, there was a live chat with the director and star.  It was fun and well worth the $12 I spent to do it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »

Nice DR ELMORE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »

ADULT ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »

Last night I "attended" an online screening of a movie about Shirley Jackson, with Elisabeth Moss in the title role.  After the movie, there was a live chat with the director and star.  It was fun and well worth the $12 I spent to do it.

Did you like the movie? Moss seems really intense and funny at the same time, which is how Shirley comes off in her semi-autobiographical stuff.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2020, 09:42:57 AM »

Hmmm.....those interested in the arcane may like this website.  I just discovered it today looking for the cast of Susan Hayward's Las Vegas MAME production...

I may just be late to the party.

www.ovrtur.com

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »

I played that record to death back in 1992. That show was literally my entry into working in musical theater since moving here. I'd been attending things, of course, but I heard about an audition call at one of my local nernts, and decided to go over and check out what, if anything, they might need in the way of musicians. They'd already hired a music director, but I played the auditions and learned Brel from scratch; I'd never played it and had only some familiarity with a few of the songs. They weren't hiring a band, just piano, and as it turned out, due to some family situation, I ended up doing most of the rehearsing and I played their opening weekend. The director was ineffective and the production was about as rough around the edges as they get, but I loved it and succeeded in getting my feet.

So as it happens, that was exactly the time that the Village Gate revival was going on. I went down and saw it and loved the show (I honestly don't remember anything about that cast now), and one of our own cast members and I went down a few weeks later to see it again. It was a good time getting to know Jacques Brel, and I'd love to have a proper second go at it someday.

Nice story about your entry into local show business.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »

And btw - the cast list was there.....

Jane

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »

DR Jane, I noticed yesterday that you mentioned reading on your tablet. Do you also have an ereader only. Or do you do all of your reading on a tablet?  Does it hurt your eyes or give you headaches? I can't imagine reading as much as I do and reading on a tablet. Although my mom started reading on her ipad mini since covid started. And she seems to like it.

I almost got a kindle when Bryan gave me a new tablet.  My Samsung tablet is about the size of the mini iPad.  I have used Keith's larger tablet and prefer the lighter and more comfortable to hold smaller tablets.

Sometimes at night I need to put the tablet down and stop reading because my head hurts, other times I use it as a distraction from my head.  I woke up this morning around 4:00 with a very little migraine and hadn't read late last night.  I got headaches before I ever had a tablet or eReader. 

Jane

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2020, 09:52:14 AM »

DR Jennifer I also like the ability to switch from my book to the internet to look up people,events, and dates.  I

Jane

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »

DR JANE - I guess it's LRT - Linda Ronstadt time......

;D

Jane

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2020, 09:55:23 AM »

Did you like the movie? Moss seems really intense and funny at the same time, which is how Shirley comes off in her semi-autobiographical stuff.

I didn't watch previews though the movie looks interesting. 

Jane

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2020, 09:57:08 AM »

Before I read THE LOTTERY I read LIFE AMONG THE SAVAGES. 

Jane

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »

I remember laughing a lot while reading Life Among the Savages.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »

DR TCB how are you feeling today?

ChasSmith

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2020, 10:11:14 AM »

I don't know if I reported on seeing SHIRLEY last week, but I liked it very much and Moss hits it out of the park. I need to read more of her works (already got them on the reading pile), and to learn more about Shirley Jackson herself.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 10:17:37 AM »

Hmmm.....those interested in the arcane may like this website.  I just discovered it today looking for the cast of Susan Hayward's Las Vegas MAME production...

I may just be late to the party.

www.ovrtur.com

A bit late.  my friend Alan Gomberg is behind this site.  It's a great reference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up