Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS  (Read 3324 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
UNPOPULAR OPINIONS
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:10:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were unpopular and had opinions, and now it is time for you to post until the unpopular cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:12:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: ARGOT!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 12:16:03 AM »

'night

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:44:29 AM »

Well, this is cool...I don't know for how long, but both Ann, a play about former Texas governor Ann Richards starring Holland Taylor, and Gloria: A Life, a play about Gloria Steinem starring Christine Lahti, are streaming on PBS' website.  Highly recommended (unless you just don't like either subject, or either actress ;) ).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 02:19:56 AM »

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 04:30:36 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 04:32:19 AM »

If it weren't for three cats, I would still be sleeping.  It was quite difficult getting out of bed this morning, and I think I will spend most of my day there dozing and watching the telly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 04:33:58 AM »

I have absolutely no plans, but there are a few things I could do if my energy rises to the occasion:
  1.  pay bills
  2.  cook
  3.  laundry

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:24:16 AM »

Sad to read that Elly Stone has died.  I met her once after seeing her in Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well . . . in Philadelphia in 1972.  She was very sweet.  Of the many times I saw the Brel show, at tyhe Village Gate, Philadelphia, and Cincinnati, none of her replacements came close to her performance.  I also saw one of her Carnegie Hall concerts in 1972.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/theater/elly-stone-dead.html
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:31:37 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 05:27:35 AM »

The other lady in the original Brel cast was Alice Whitfield, mother of My Cousin Vinny actor Mitchell Whitfield, and Alice became a friend in the late 1980s.  One day I asked her why she had only two solos in Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well . . . and she said, Because Elly Stone is a BITCH!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:32:05 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 06:17:54 AM »

This is one of my favorite Brel songs performed by Miss Stone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4tMl9_fWi8
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:29:55 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »

Good morning, all.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 06:32:57 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 06:33:28 AM »

The other lady in the original Brel cast was Alice Whitfield, mother of My Cousin Vinny actor Mitchell Whitfield, and Alice became a friend in the late 1980s.  One day I asked her why she had only two solos in Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well . . . and she said, Because Elly Stone is a BITCH!
If we only have love ....
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 06:41:29 AM »

Oh, my. Elly Stone.

I played that record to death back in 1992. That show was literally my entry into working in musical theater since moving here. I'd been attending things, of course, but I heard about an audition call at one of my local nernts, and decided to go over and check out what, if anything, they might need in the way of musicians. They'd already hired a music director, but I played the auditions and learned Brel from scratch; I'd never played it and had only some familiarity with a few of the songs. They weren't hiring a band, just piano, and as it turned out, due to some family situation, I ended up doing most of the rehearsing and I played their opening weekend. The director was ineffective and the production was about as rough around the edges as they get, but I loved it and succeeded in getting my feet.

So as it happens, that was exactly the time that the Village Gate revival was going on. I went down and saw it and loved the show (I honestly don't remember anything about that cast now), and one of our own cast members and I went down a few weeks later to see it again. It was a good time getting to know Jacques Brel, and I'd love to have a proper second go at it someday.

She directed that revival, didn't she? I haven't read the obits yet. I will have to dig out my program.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 06:52:32 AM »

Ah, "Carousel". Listening now.

Oh man, learning that score from scratch with those crazy rental materials. That was a trip. I look at it now and ask, how did I do that way back then? Well, I need to do it again.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 06:53:08 AM »

Feel better vibes for DR TCB!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 06:53:36 AM »

THE GREEN SLIME

Robert Horton was (briefly) my publicity client when that film came out.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »

DR Jane, I noticed yesterday that you mentioned reading on your tablet. Do you also have an ereader only. Or do you do all of your reading on a tablet?  Does it hurt your eyes or give you headaches? I can't imagine reading as much as I do and reading on a tablet. Although my mom started reading on her ipad mini since covid started. And she seems to like it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 06:54:59 AM »

I just signed an actor to do my Peter Lorre audio.

Fingers crossed.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 06:55:43 AM »

And more vibes.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 06:58:39 AM »

And more vibes.

And more vibes!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 07:03:08 AM »

Oh man, learning that score from scratch with those crazy rental materials. That was a trip. I look at it now and ask, how did I do that way back then? Well, I need to do it again.

Elly Stone made two solo albums, and this is one of my favorite songs.  It's about her father-in-law, who was a taxi driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygiEsSX2X7w

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 07:06:44 AM »

And the great "Marieke."  I always wanted to meet Wolfgang Knittel just to tell him how brilliant his arrangements were for Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qMaPJwlzQ

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »

Such an amazing singing style.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 07:16:30 AM »

I kept a copy of the arranger's score after I did the show in 1976.  I loved our program cover, and here are the foure principals in "Madeleine." There were six people cast, two men alternated Man I, and I added a third man.  Of those six, three are now dead.  Sad.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:22:26 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »

And the great "Marieke."  I always wanted to meet Wolfgang Knittel just to tell him how brilliant his arrangements were for Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well. . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qMaPJwlzQ

Yes!

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:25 AM »

I kept a copy of the arranger's score after I did the show in 1976.  I loved our program cover, and here are the foure principals in "Madeleine."

Pardon my ignorance, but is the arranger's score different from the handwritten PC score I kept a copy of?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:34 AM »

I kept a copy of the arranger's score after I did the show in 1976.  I loved our program cover, and here are the foure principals in "Madeleine."

Pardon my ignorance, but is the arranger's score different from the handwritten PC score I kept a copy of?

Probably the same score:  the four (five?) band parts and no vocals?

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 07:21:15 AM »

Yes, that's it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up