Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF IMITATION  (Read 3749 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: IMITATION IS THE SINCEREST FORM OF IMITATION
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:09 AM »

I don't like it when the restaurant puts too much PARSE on the plate.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:17 AM »

Page Two!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 06:48:58 AM »

TOD:

My first R/H viewing was probably the movie version of THE KING AND I.  Which I liked....I went with my aunt....and I must have been six or seven.

First LIVE show was a high school version of OKLAHOMA! which I also enjoyed.

FAVORITES:

The Sound of Music - movie
Oklahoma! - atage
South Pacific - movie & stage
Flower Drum Song - movie

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 07:21:41 AM »

I enjoy Rodgers and Hammerstein when I encounter them, but I have encountered them so often that I don’t play their scores anywhere near the amount I play Rodgers and Hart or Rodgers’ work after Hammerstein. Do I Hear a Waltz? is a favorite, and I enjoy a lot of I Remember Mama, Rex snd No Strings.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:46 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 07:57:19 AM »

Vibes for DR Michael.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »

From Bruce:
Sandy Rosenberg, the wonderful actress who played Mrs. Keller in the first Outside the Box episode (The Miracle Worker, The Musical), died this evening - cancer - too young.

This is sad.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 08:04:01 AM »

MEGA EYE VIBES FOR DR MICHAEL!

Jane

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »

My toilet once again has sprung a leak, and our super has admitted, after 4-6 tries to repair it, that he needs to bring in a plumber.  I think I need a new one.  The current one was cheaply installed over 20 years ago when the landlord redid all the bathroom plumbing in the building as past of a water pressure-conservation move in the City.  There was even a Seinfeld episode about the situation.

Good luck they give you a new toilet.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 08:06:14 AM »

Last year at this time, we were in Kissimmee,  hosting a breakfast for the Vixter and (then) Vixfiancee and their wedding party prior to the arrival of the hairdressers and makeup artists and departure of the men.

Aren't you glad the wedding was last year and not this year?  Of course that question is rhetorical ;)

Jane

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »

Thank God for rolling laundry carts.  The laundry is in the washers.

Yes for those rolling laundry carts.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »

The laundry is put away, and the plumbers could not come until Thursday, so Jeff replaced the pipe that kept leaking and we hope that will take care of things.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 08:51:55 AM »

I love much of Rodgers & Hammerstein.  The Modern Library edition of Six Plays By R&H was one of my bibles as a high school student. although I think Allegro and Me & Juliet are real dogs.  I never cared much for Pipe Dream until Encores! showed how much better the score was than on its original cast recording.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 09:02:13 AM »

I love Oklahoma! as a film and a stage show, and I think the score remains fresh as it was in 1943.

I feel protective of Carousel because it's near-perfect and in danger of being ruined by the PC crowd and asshole producers, as though spouse abuse no longer occurs or should be examined seriously.  I've hated both of the last revivals, and count myself fortunate to have seen two brilliant stage revivals, the 1966 Lincoln Center production with John Raitt, Susamn Watson, and Jerry Orbach, and the 1991 Houston Grand Opera production.

I thought South Pacific was stodgy until I saw that 2007 Lincoln Center revival.

I would like The King and I better if all that condescending pidgin English were replaced with decent English grammar, but I love the film.

Cinderella keeps getting raped, rather violently in the Brandy version and last Broadway production, in every production after Julie Andrews, which is near perfection.

Flower Drum Song: both the show and film are glorious.  Who thought that revival-update was a good idea?

The Sound of Music still works better for me as a stage show, probably since I saw it first, although no one knows how to direct it or cast it these days.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:03:56 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 09:09:28 AM »

Good morning afternoon, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 09:13:12 AM »

I wish I knew someplace that makes a Chinese Chicken Salad at all, let alone a really great one. I shall have to poll every Chinese or Asian jernt around here and see what I can find.

Same with a good Chinese Cole Slaw. I love all that stuff.

I guess I could always try a few recipes myself, and see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:44:54 AM by ChasSmith »

John G.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 09:14:33 AM »

I agree, Elmore, that Pipe Dream played much better at Encores than the OBC sounds. Livelier, frisky, playful.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »

I love much of Rodgers & Hammerstein.  The Modern Library edition of Six Plays By R&H was one of my bibles as a high school student. although I think Allegro and Me & Juliet are real dogs.  I never cared much for Pipe Dream until Encores! showed how much better the score was than on its original cast recording.

Whenever the subject turns to R&H, I go into the other room to make sure my Modern Library edition is sitting there, safe and sound, and to hold it for a moment.

I'm not kidding.

I will forever thank Gaul's Books & Records in Fort Lauderdale for their wonderful store and for their complete Modern Library section which added much brightness and a bit o' culture to my own high school days.

ChasSmith

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:20 AM »

I have the Encores! CD of Pipe Dream, but alas (or a lass, you take your pick), I didn't see that production.

John G.

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »

Allegro fascinates me. I, too, had that bible back then and thought, how good this is until it turns stupid. Rouben Mamoulian could And would force libretto changes, Agnes De Mille would not and did not. Everything that’s wrong with Allegro belongs to Oscar Hammerstein.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 09:19:21 AM »

I have the Encores! CD of Pipe Dream, but alas (or a lass, you take your pick), I didn't see that production.

There’s a very good bootleg out there.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 09:39:04 AM »

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »

Allegro fascinates me. I, too, had that bible back then and thought, how good this is until it turns stupid. Rouben Mamoulian could And would force libretto changes, Agnes De Mille would not and did not. Everything that’s wrong with Allegro belongs to Oscar Hammerstein.

There are three big problems with Allegro:
   1.  The wife is a bitch and unfaithful, only it's mostly offstage.
   2.  Why is the wonderful "So Far" sung by a character of absolutely no importance?
   3.  The final song is sung by a ghost!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:59:50 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:24 AM »

The laundry is finished and put away, and my doctor called about the results of my ultrasound last week: no cancer, just an infection that may take several weeks to return to normal.  It's uncomfortable but the pain is gone.  Stay on the antibiotics.

ChasSmith

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

Oklahoma! - In thinking about the timeline, I wonder if I've always been wrong in crediting South Pacific with being my first movie musical. There's a vague hint of a memory telling me I was taken to this one sometime during its first release in Columbus, possibly by my grandmother who took my sister and me to several things of this nature. This could mean I saw it at the glorious Ohio Theater in its roadshow engagement. Unfortunately, I was too young to truly appreciate either of these things. I'll have to do some research.

Over the years I liked Oklahoma! well enough, but I was more interested in the other shows. Fast-forwarding to present day, I was blown away by the quality of the film, every single element of it, two years ago when Robert Harris screened the Todd-AO DCP for a small audience at the Bedford Playhouse while they were still completing renovations in the rest of the building. Blown away, I tell you. Ideal presentation in every way, blah blah blah. Seen properly, that thing is a masterpiece. Actually, it even shows up well at home in comparison with the CinemaScope version. But in a real theater? A miracle.

Carousel - I don't remember my first contact with it. I know I had the soundtrack recording at home. Later I was very much into the RCA Lincoln Center revivals and thrilled to that one before ever hearing the original cast. I then saw the tour with John Raitt in Miami. I did enjoy the film version back then, but I haven't watched it in many years.

The King and I - Never saw this one on stage in my early years. Just the film, which I loved, and - again - I played that soundtrack recording many times up to when the Lincoln Center one was issued, and that was a game changer, for the general production and for the inclusion of the "Small House of Uncle Thomas" ballet. Many years later I enjoyed listening to the studio cast recording with Julie Andrews which uses the film orchestrations -- one of the few times that's ever been done.

I talked about my South Pacific history just a week or two ago, so I'll leave that one alone except to say the Lincoln Center production was a marvel to these eyes and ears. As a side note, this was later in the run when Laura Osnes was playing Nellie Forbush, and I was enchanted - to the point that when the telecast came around and Kelli O'Hara was back in the role, it just seemed rather ordinary. Oh, shame on me.

The Sound of Music - After years of wrestling with this conflict, I've come around to seeing both the stage and film versions as ideal in their respective places. Having grown up on the original cast recording and seeing a few local stage productions, when I saw the movie in its roadshow engagement, the changes in treatment came as a shock, however visually beautiful it was. So it took me some years, but now I'm right there with anyone who finds the film version a work of genius in its own right.

ChasSmith

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2020, 10:24:18 AM »

My first post-R&H Rodgers was No Strings, a mysterious and interesting new thing for me. It also holds the distinction of being the first vocal score I'd ever seen. A couple of people who did a lot of singing in our church came over one evening to try out a few things, including "The Sweetest Sounds". They'd just bought the No Strings score and plunked it down in front of me. I was thrilled with playing a real accompaniment for a real production song as opposed to a sheet music arrangement.

So it wasn't long after that I began buying my own scores. For precise reasons that I've never been able to determine, the first one I bought for myself was The King and I, and I obsessed over that thing. The next ones purchased were West Side Story and The Music Man. These were never regularly stocked at my local music store, so every time I had another nine dollars to blow, I was having them order another score for me. A blessing on Shoemaker's Music Store -- along with Gaul's Books & Records, they were my South Florida life support system.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:26:01 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »

Do tell.  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »

Do tell.  :)

https://premiereoperaintl.com/dvd9711pipedream.aspx

John G.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »

There are three big problems with Allegro:
   1.  The wife is a bitch and unfaithful, only it's mostly offstage.
   2.  Why is the wonderful "So Far" sung by a character of absolutely no importance?
   3.  The final song is sung by a ghost!

There’s another: Hammerstein’s hokum about salvation in the simple life rings false, making the whole point of the show wrong. Broadway audiences didn’t want to be told their lives were worthless. Who does?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »

I just read the Elly Stone obit. I find it interesting that the Times didn’t mention thst she starred in the woebegone film version of Jacques Brel ...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up