Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MINI CANS AND I  (Read 3412 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MINI CANS AND I
« on: July 02, 2020, 12:05:14 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of mini cans and I, and now it is time for you to post until the mini can cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE MINI CANS AND I
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:07:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: OMNEITY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 01:00:00 AM »

Topic of the Day;  I don't remember when I first heard of Sherlock Holmes.  I do think that one of the first movies that I saw was The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother.  I don't remember anything about it now, but just that my sister and I really liked it when we watched in on TV when we were kids.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 01:02:13 AM »

Otherwise, I really like the three-man (or person) play version of The Hound of the Baskervilles as adapted by Steven Canny & John Nicholson, very much in the style of the Reduced Shakespeare Company.  I ran the sound for a local production and it was hysterical!  I also enjoy (some of) the score to Baker Street, and the movie The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 01:02:56 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed.

Have a good day, all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 04:27:44 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 04:29:05 AM »

I slept well until around 4:45 when my throbbing ankle woke me.  From then until 6:00 I tried to sleep despite the ankle and an obnoxious Stella who insisted I get up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 04:29:44 AM »

I have no plans today so I will spend much of it lying down with the cats.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:30:12 AM »

DR George, thanks for posting pug's post.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 04:31:18 AM »

DR Jeanne, I found your comments on Life Extension interesting so I went to Amazon.  When I saw all the products I went into shock.  Who knows what the hell to try?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 04:34:03 AM »

DR John G, I'm happy you enjoyed The Nose.  It's a Shostakovich opera I do not know, but I loved the Met's production of Lady Macbeth of Mtinsk. The Nose is one of the vocal scores in the McGlinnventory I wish I'd taken before that dumbass executor trashed his collection.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:23 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 05:05:36 AM »

I wish I were still asleep. But the hammering will begin soon. They have made progress. I will give you.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 05:06:54 AM »

T.O.D

Obviously, my favorite Sherlock Holmes is Basil Rathbone, since I've written both a book and a stage play about him.

My favorite Sherlock Holmes (Rathbone) film is THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, followed by THE SCARLET CLAW.

I also like MURDER BY DECREE (1979), in which Christopher Plummer was Holmes and James Mason was Watson.  In that once, they were going after Jack the Ripper.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 06:01:42 AM »

Kitty cleanup is over, and I've sent a few emails and files.

Yesterday I posted an inquiry on the Cast Recording List about the 1962 Readers Digest Treasury of Great Operettas.  It was originally issued on 9 LPs, each containing excerpts from 2 operettas, one on each side.  I got the set as a Christmas gift that year.  In 1965, in London, the Readers Digest recorded three more LPS and sold the set in UK and Australia as a 12-LP set.

Several years ago I paid Anthony Morelli to transfer a clean set of LPs to mp3 files, but I've been wanting the additional six operettas from 1965.  Thanks to Cast Rexording Listers, I now have the entire collection.  I find like a lot of atudio cast recordings there isa little in the way of emoting, just a lot of pretty singing.  Still it was a great intro to a lot of piece I barely knew as a 16 year-old.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 06:19:29 AM »

TOD
There were two films that I know of that pitted Sherlock Holmes against Jack the Ripper:
A Study In Terror, 1965, with John Neville as Sherlock and Donald Houston as Doctor Watson, and I believe it was Judi Dench's film debut.  Robert Morley does a wonderfully funny turn as Mycroft, Sherlock's brother.
The 1979 Murder By Decree is much darker and owes a lot to Stephen Knight's 1976 book Jack the Ripper: The final Solution, which was the first to imply the Ripper was a cover-ip for a royal plot to cover up a marriage and child between a Soho model and one of Queen Victoria's sons.  This theory is now bogus since DNA finally revealed the actual killer.
I am also fond of the Jeremy Brett-Edward Hardwicke TV series.
I also enjoyed my close personal friend Ian Richardson's Holmes in former DR Charles Pogue's The Hound of the Baskervilles and Sign of Four, but the Doctor Watson changed for each.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:21:51 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 06:21:41 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »

DR Elmore, I had a (truly) mint condition of that Operettas album, and I'm afraid to say it left the building during the Great Purge of 2011. For the most part, I did well in getting rid of "extraneous" things then, but every once in a while a reminder comes up of something I absolutely should have kept. But our interests mutate over time, and, well...these things happen.

But I never knew about the 12-disc version until I saw your Facebook post yesterday. I'd almost be tempted to buy one from someone in the UK, if I could be certain of the condition, and if overseas shipping weren't so horrendous right now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 06:29:57 AM »

It's amusing about the Reader's Digest sets. If you want to collect those, even now it's easy to find mint condition sets for practically no money at secondhand record and book stores, library sales, flea markets, and of course online. It's as though people subscribed to them and rarely, sometimes never, played them. I had about a dozen such sets before the Purge, and they were practically audiophile grade vinyl -- partly due to the above theory, but they're also known for excellent pressing and sound quality, having been produced by RCA in their prime. Great attention was given to their design and manufacture.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:06:27 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 06:32:29 AM »

Well, the temperature (and I'm sure the humidity) are going back up today. We're supposed to hit around 87, and the overnight temps will once again require a/c - which I was pleased to not have to turn on these past two nights.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 06:34:25 AM »

DR John G, I'm happy you enjoyed The Nose.  It's a Shostakovich opera I do not know, but I loved the Met's production of Lady Macbeth of Mtinsk. The Nose is one of the vocal scores in the McGlinnventory I wish I'd taken before that dumbass executor trashed his collection.

Another reminder of that crime.

If only we'd known...

I don't recall seeing any Shostakovich there. Was it by any chance one of the composers sets?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 06:39:31 AM »

I think when you are presented to The Queen, it is protocol to call her Your OMNEITY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 06:40:35 AM »

I think ANY project called The Nose should star Adrian Brody.

And there was an animated character, a detective called The Nose, that was VERY irritating.  He kept running around saying "The Nose knows....."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 06:41:47 AM »

I am leaving the home environment for a bit to go to the gasoline station ($2.19 per gallon yesterday), the drugstore drive thru to pick up two prescriptions, and PetSuppliesPlus to get Conrad Birdie Barnum his seed......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 06:41:56 AM »

I shall return.  Anon.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 06:42:16 AM »

I have a Rathbone/Holmes set on Blu-ray, but I don't think I've watched any of those since actually getting the set. A nagging memory tells me those transfers didn't get rave reviews at the time.

BK, what is it you're watching? This is the one I have:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:50:06 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 06:43:34 AM »

DR Elmore, I had a (truly) mint condition of that Operettas album, and I'm afraid to say it left the building during the Great Purge of 2011. For the most part, I did well in getting rid of "extraneous" things then, but every once in a while a reminder comes up of something I absolutely should have kept. But our interests mutate over time, and, well...these things happen.

But I never knew about the 12-disc version until I saw your Facebook post yesterday. I'd almost be tempted to buy one from someone in the UK, if I could be certain of the condition, and if overseas shipping weren't so horrendous right now.

I am happy to send you all 24 mp3 files, if you would like/

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 06:45:03 AM »

Another reminder of that crime.

If only we'd known...

I don't recall seeing any Shostakovich there. Was it by any chance one of the composers sets?

There was a set of the Russian edition scores, but I don't think it was complete.  I wish now I'd taken the operas and "The Golden Age" ballet.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:47:11 AM by elmore3003 »

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 06:47:44 AM »

I am happy to send you all 24 mp3 files, if you would like/

And I would be happy to take you up that, sir. There's just no sense in my chasing the album around the globe right now. Thank you!

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 06:57:38 AM »

Well, I have things to accomplish today which aren't going to even get started with me sitting here, so...

Later. 

And best vibes for all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up