Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLEWS AND NOTHING BUT THE CLEWS  (Read 20826 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CLEWS AND NOTHING BUT THE CLEWS
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:59:02 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you either did or didn't have a clew whilst reading the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the clewless cow come home.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:01:43 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CLEWS AND NOTHING BUT THE CLEWS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 12:01:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: SARTORIAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 12:13:45 AM »

SARTORIAL:  adjective:

1 - Of or relating to a tailor, tailoring, or tailored clothing: sartorial elegance.

2 - of or relating to the sartorius muscle

[From Late Latin sartor, tailor. See sartorius.]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:14:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 12:14:15 AM »

SARTORIAL, baby, SARTORIAL!

Has anyone seen Jessica Skerritt?

George

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 12:18:20 AM »

I've never seen Jessica Skerritt...but tomorrow night (Thursday), I'm going to see Patti LuPone Live in Concert in Seattle!!  I got the tickets from my sister and her boyfriend for my birthday, which isn't until next month.  I can't wait!  Now I will have seen the Big 3 live:  Bernadette Peters performed here in Olympia (I was in the third row!), I saw Betty Buckley in Sunset Boulevard on Broadway and now Patti!  I am very happy. ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:19:18 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 12:20:21 AM »

SARTORIAL...as it's close to WUSSBURGER time, I must ponder my nocturnal sartorial decision for the Land of Nod...pjs? Undies and a t-shirt? or el buff-o?

BK, STUDY IN TERROR is enjoyable , but not nearly as good as MURDER BY DECREE which is also about Holmes and Spring-heeled Jack.  And is there any better moment than James Mason as Watson, disconsolately murmuring, "You mashed my pea."

Are your short-stories comical, tragical, pastoral, comical-pastorial, tragical-comical, tragical-pastorial...or are they Westerns?

My BK questions is the one I asked yesterday...re: the benefit you've been asked to direct...is it with alums who've become pros; just any pros you can get; or students?...Is it a review or a show? We're assuming it will have music...Is there any thematic structure to it?

WMKV report: Dick Haymes singing Where or When...

Charles Pogue

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 12:20:53 AM »

I have not seen nearly enough of Jessica Skerritt!  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:27:34 AM by Charles Pogue »

George

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »

I now must go to sleep.  My housemate's cat is crawling all over me and the only (well, easiest) way to stop her is to remove myself from the area.  So, goodnight.

And congrats on the book-decision-making, BK!  I like short stories, especially Fredric Brown's...not that I've read all of his, but what I have read, have been quite delightful and intriguing and very interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 12:27:47 AM »

SARTORIAL...as it's close to WUSSBURGER time, I must ponder my nocturnal sartorial decision for the Land of Nod...pjs? Undies and a t-shirt? or el buff-o?

BK, STUDY IN TERROR is enjoyable , but not nearly as good as MURDER BY DECREE which is also about Holmes and Spring-heeled Jack.  And is there any better moment than James Mason as Watson, disconsolately murmuring, "You mashed my pea."

Are your short-stories comical, tragical, pastoral, comical-pastorial, tragical-comical, tragical-pastorial...or are they Westerns?

My BK questions is the one I asked yesterday...re: the benefit you've been asked to direct...is it with alums who've become pros; just any pros you can get; or students?...Is it a review or a show? We're assuming it will have music...Is there any thematic structure to it?

I have never seen Murder by Decree - I'll have to seek it out.

The benefit is nothing at the moment.  That's why I haven't committed to it.  If it's going to be a bunch of former students doing things, then no, it won't be for me.  If it's something I can make interesting (through a theme or just a good group of performers and material), then I'll say yes.  I would have to be allowed to bring in some of my folks.  But, I wouldn't mind bringing back a few interesting alumnus - like Cindy Williams, Diana Canova, those types.  That would be fun, and I know we could sell out the house.  So, I just don't know until I meet with them how professional they want it.

So far, the first short story I would have to describe as comical/whimsical/fantastical.  We'll see where we go from here.  I probably won't be writing any western short stories, though.  I just want all my stories to begin with "It was a dark and stormy night"  Amusingly, that IS how my first story begins.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 12:28:38 AM »

Can't somebody get Jessica Skerritt to pay haineshisway.com a little visit?  I can do a mini-interview with her.  Someone have her write me - we'll make her a legend.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 12:28:48 AM »

George, both BK and I are also big Fredric Brown fans.  Great writer. His novels are good too!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »

You could do the interview with her in your jacuzzi!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:31:39 AM »

LOVE Fred Brown.  Love all his books, and his short stories are marvy.  I'm also very fond of the short stories of Roald Dahl, John Collier, and John Cheever.  I'm not doing anything like those, but those folks are all role models for the form.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 12:32:11 AM »

Yes, we could call it Jessica in the Jacuzzi.  A marvy idea.  Set it up, set it up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 12:39:18 AM »

It is my mission to make Jessica Skerritt a star.  In fact, I'd add another duet to the Haines album if she'd make a trek to LA.  Tell her THAT.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

Look out Bulwer-Lytton!  

But how about A Dark and Stormy Western?

It was a dark and stormy night as the cow's tail swished back and forth, lightly tickling Laredo's face as the cowboy tickled her fancy.  "Ooo," he grunted.  "Mooo," she said.  Then the Heavens opened.

Hmmm, somehow this is not a dark and stormy western, but a dark and steamy western.

The Lovely Wife is over my shoulder, tossing in bon mots, helping me compose this.  But enough!  Enough!  The cry of the wild, wooly wussburger calls.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:42:57 AM »

But how do you know if you even like Jessica's voice?  And God knows, she might wear a thong!  The Lovely Wife adds, "she might even thing a thong, if you ask her.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 12:48:04 AM »

So...Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Repartee?  All alone?  Time to make my sartorial beddy-bye decision and call it a night?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 12:50:09 AM »

You are never alone here at haineshisway.com

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 12:50:51 AM »

Jessica would have to be told the rules - no sad thongs for me.  I'm sure her voice is peachy.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 01:00:02 AM »

Laredo emptied his six-shooter.  It would be some time before he'd twirl that gun again.  Then Cookie hobbled up on his gimpy leg, spit his tobacco juice into his grizzled beard, and jerked a dirty thumb at the cow. "Consarnit, Laredo...that's Johnny Ringo's gal!"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:00:51 AM by Charles Pogue »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 03:39:55 AM »

I, too, like the short stories of Roald Dahl and especially Someone Like You is always my favorite.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 04:16:56 AM »

Short stories are wonderful.  My favorites were written by John O'Hara and Ray Bradbury!

I love how in the movie HARLOW, all the gentlemen were dressed in mid-1960's sartorial splendor.

DRMBARNUM - I think MR BK wants you to have your friends get in touch with Jessica Skerrit.  But I may be wrong....no I don't think I am.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 04:18:22 AM »

DRJOEY I will second (or maybe it's third) the choice of BLACK ADDER for you British humor fix.  I know there are several videos of it available and you can probably find it for rent at a local outlet.  It really can't be described simply.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 04:23:39 AM »

My first question for ASK BK day:  What does a dialog director do?  Does he direct the actual dialog in a scene telling the actors what they need to know?  I noticed that Bert Stein was the dialog director on MOST of the Delmer Daves WB films.  Is Stein the one who told Troy Donahue to say the line: "Who do you think you are, God?" instead of "Who do you think you are?  God?" to Brian Aherne in SUSAN SLADE?

Ben

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 04:46:18 AM »

I am in SARTORIAL splendor with a freshly ironed and crisp red plaid, long-sleeved shirt.

I saw Chitty last night. It's good overall but I am somewhat disappointed. I think part of it comes from having seen the London production which was so good. The show is a little long but I think it's a pacing problem. It's almost 2 1/2 hours and the first act drags. The second act picks up and works much better.

This show, while not small (as usually happens with large London shows) is still scaled down. Where there were at least 12 dogs on stage in the Toot Sweet number in London, there were 6 here (exactly half, the press says there are 8 dogs but I only counted 6). Perhaps it's because I knew they were coming but the surprise and fun of having the dogs run on stage after the whistles was not as exciting as I remember. The two Vulgarian villans (CHIP ZIEN and ROBERT SELLA) don't have the zany over the top qualities I thought was needed. I've seen both of them in other things and they are very good but they don't work well here. RAÚL ESPARZA as Caractacus Potts is very good and his Hushabye Mountain is very sweet and gentle.  ERIN DILLY (from Into The Woods and the dreadful revival of Roundabout's Boys From Syracuse) is excellent as Truly Scrumptious. Don't know why but Philip Bosco was out last night and I saw his understudy, J.B. Adams. Didn't miss Bosco at all. I'm rather surprised that he's out during previews. They open April 28 so critics were not in the house (besides me) but still, I wonder why he was out. The Child Catcher, KEVIN CAHOON, was suitably creepy although at his curtain call he was roundly applauded and in London the audience took great delight in booing him, not because he was bad but because he was so deliciously evil. Funny how audiences are different.

The real standouts (for me) are MARC KUDISCH as Baron Bomburst and JAN MAXWELL as the Baroness. They are a great team and Kudisch nails his role. He's funny, over the top in the right way and knows how to work the show to get all his laughs. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion in Internet lingo), both these actors will be Tony nominated for Best Featured Performer in a Musical.

Even thought they were miked I still had trouble hearing the children at times. Technology doesn't always work.

For $20 in the last row of the Balcony, which was not a bad seat BTW (by the way in Internet lingo) I went away happy. The Hilton Theatre (FKA the Ford Center for the Performing Arts and before that the Lyric and the Appolo which were combined to make the Hilton/Ford) is nicely put together and you can see from the back row of the balcony. Vixmom, if you decide to get one of these tickets and Vixter is short, they have booster seats for those who need them (children only). I think the merchandising is too much. There is only one row of $20 dollar seats and they weren't sold out so everyone in the balcony paid around $70-$90 dollars and then to have vendors walk through the theatre before the show hawking overpriced light up pins and binoculars and tee-shirts and cotton candy was a bit much. I don't know how a family does it? You spend maybe $300 on tickets plus transportation, if you're coming from Long Island or another borough or NJ, you have to park or get transportation into the city and then the kids are hit with these promotions. "Oh, mommy, please" Of course you can say no and hope the child understands but why make it so hard?

Oh, well. My musings on the commercialization of theatre. Enough for now.

I will come back later with a question.

Ben

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 04:51:43 AM »

Larry, I forgot to mention yesterday, yes we should meet up and go to the GreenMarket for honey and other delicacies.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 05:01:41 AM »

DR JOEY, nice new avatar!
You always look so different, for me, in every different pictures so far… :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:26 AM »

Thanks for the CCBB info DRBEN!  I have the London Cast CD and enjoy listening to it very much!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:57 AM »

DR HISAKA  - good morning to you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up