Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLEWS AND NOTHING BUT THE CLEWS  (Read 20846 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CLEWS AND NOTHING BUT THE CLEWS
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 05:03:44 AM »

Good morning, all!  Back to BABES this morning, and I need to pay a few bills before the day is over.

DRPogue, I also like MURDER BY DECREE, but A STUDY IN TERROR holds a fond place in my heart; maybe it's Robert Morley as Mycroft, or seeing Barbara Windsor,John Neville,John Fraser, and a clutch of actors I knew from the British THEATRE WORLD and wondering what they were like.  MURDER BY DECREE is a much darker and unsettling film.  Incidentally ALIENIST author Caleb Carr's new novel is a Holmes pastiche.

That leads to this new novel MARCH, a book about the father of the March Girls in LITTLE WOMEN.  Why?

Dear Friend BK, Georgia Brown had a small role in LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS, a film based on a musical that rermoved all the songs as IRMA LA DOUCE did.  Unlike the musical, the film also incorporates material from the comedy THE RELAPSE.  I like Henry Fielding's comedy RAPE UPON RAPE that inspired LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS, but then I've always liked Henry Fielding.

DRJoey, FAWLTY TOWERS is one of the best.  I want Prunella Scales to play the Queen in JUBILEE.  I adore her as Sybil Fawlty and Miss Mapp in the Lucia comedies with Geraldine McEwen.  I've also a CD of her and her husband performing Walton's FACADE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 05:05:56 AM »

Thank you DR Mbarnum for the comment about Song Of Love. I wonder the movie is not popular in the US much?  Katharine Hepburn is one of my favorite actresses and I found that movie with her on some auction site by chance. They offer two aged souvenir programs from the movie on it.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 05:06:50 AM »

And another one.

Ben

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 05:09:01 AM »

"That leads to this new novel MARCH, a book about the father of the March Girls in LITTLE WOMEN. Why?"

Exactly. I'm re-reading Little Women (I read it as a youngster so many years ago) and enjoying it very much. I'm not sure what could be added by a novel about their father.

Hisaka, I too, enjoy the CCBB (that's so much easier to type than the entire title) London CD.

And now, back to work in my new, freshly cleaned workspace.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 05:15:36 AM »

Good morning, DR ELMORE and BEN!

I'm about watching El Crimen Del Padre Amaro (but I have no idea if it's a good one) on WOWOW (movie channel) and go to bed :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2005, 05:31:30 AM »

Hisaka, I too, enjoy the CCBB (that's so much easier to type than the entire title) London CD.

CCBB? What stands for? ??? :o ???

Ben

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2005, 05:35:50 AM »

Hisaka said:

"CCBB? What stands for?"

I understand your confusion. I went back and looked because I thought you had made that post. It's too early in the morning, I guess because it was actually JRand who used CCBB. It stands for Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang which I had spoken about in an earlier post.

Sorry  :)

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2005, 05:36:48 AM »

I can handle it when it's only 2 pages of notes.  I'm going to have to devote the entire weekend to catching up on the week's worth of notes.

Do I have a BK question?   I'm not sure yet.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2005, 05:58:33 AM »

"That leads to this new novel MARCH, a book about the father of the March Girls in LITTLE WOMEN. Why?"

Exactly. I'm re-reading Little Women (I read it as a youngster so many years ago) and enjoying it very much. I'm not sure what could be added by a novel about their father.

Could be worse.  We could be seeing a series of The March Girls Mysteries.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2005, 05:59:01 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL, I really didn't enjoy most of the contestants.  My favorite was Constantine followed by Carrie.  I really cannot stand Scott anymore.  And unlike DR MattH, I did not like much of his performance (especially the beginning parts).

I also did not like Nadia's song.  And I thought Bo and Anwar were a bit boring.

It's hard to predict the bottom 3 but hopefully Scott will be going home.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2005, 06:04:11 AM »

RE: LAST NIGHT'S AMAZING RACE (not sure if DR MBARNUM HAS WATCHED YET).

Unlike DR JRand, there is one team I do not like (Lynn and Alex). Well it's mostly just Lynn who I cannot stand.  I find him obnoxious.  And I also have a problem with dear sweet Gretchen and Meredith.  They are truly lovely people.  However, how they have continued to stay in this race is quite amazing.  They are slow and sometimes not that bright!

I was actually sort of happy with TBC because otherwise it probably would have been a non-elim.  This way there are more activities to do until the pitstop. Plus the teams will be so exhausted.  My only complaint about the shows right now are that there is too much bunching. And not enough challenging tasks.  Although I think it is quite amazing that even with the bunching, the same teams keep ending up on top.

Ben

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2005, 06:06:41 AM »

That's true DtM. They could be updated for today's audience along the lines of the Nancy Clue books (The Case of the Not-so-Nice Nurse, The Case of the Good-for-Nothing Girlfriend and A Ghost in the Closet) written by Mabel Maney. Funny books. Read them if you get a chance.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2005, 06:16:41 AM »

DR Ben: My DH recalls Chuck's 95er as fondly as you do. It was located somewhere on East Van Buren Street.

DRs JRand and Jane: Thanks for your comments on the new building. Architect Fred designed the place. Everything is stucco out here, and the stone thing is the latest trend out here. But it does look nice.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2005, 07:01:24 AM »

DR WFO: I can't get Angel Jim off my mind. Do you think he would be open to receiving some mail giving him support? Does he know he has some mystery internet people thinking of him?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2005, 07:01:26 AM »

Could be worse.  We could be seeing a series of The March Girls Mysteries.

Worse yet, MARCH AND MARCH, a combined bio of Frederic March and Little Peggy March.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2005, 08:00:43 AM »

I totally agree. MURDER BY DECREE is a better film in every way than A STUDY IN TERROR, but the later is still enjoyable.

The DVD for MURDER is out (I assume it's still in print), and it has an interesting running commentary by director Bob Clark. I wasn't thrilled with the film when I first saw it (lots of blood was a turnoff for me back then), but I've found it much more enjoyable now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2005, 08:01:08 AM »

DR JOEY, nice new avatar!
You always look so different, for me, in every different pictures so far… :o

I have had this discussion with several of my friends. I seem to photograph differently in every picture that is taken of me. I will go through and line up several different pictures for my friends at times because they do not believe me when I tell them how differently I photograph.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2005, 08:05:11 AM »

I think the bottom IDOL three will be Nadia, Scott, and Anthony with Scott going home, but the judges seemed to think Nadia was the one in trouble. She has been in the bottom three more than Scott, but I still think's Scott's arrogant defense of his performance will do him in, not the performance itself.

For those recording the show tonight, remember that it's an hour-long show tonight, not a half hour. Fox is doing its best to negate the premiere of REVELATIONS on NBC.

I'll be watching ALIAS myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2005, 08:06:35 AM »

Yep, FALWLTY TOWERS is a must-see, and it only gets funnier as you go through the episodes. There are only 13 episodes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:08:28 AM by Matt H. »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2005, 08:12:46 AM »

So many videos so little time! I will see if our library carries them as I know they have an entire season of Keeping Up Appearances. Thank you for all the suggestions.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2005, 08:16:22 AM »

Thank you for the great review Ben.  I will consider those $20 seats if there is still a clear view... that way we could see it now instread of waiting Christmas....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2005, 08:21:24 AM »

BK, I'm assuming you saw my post yesterday that I am indeed still calling people for you up here.  As your publicist Marcy discovered, Portland is a strangely provincial little place and the bookstores here seem to have a problem with on-demand publishing.  However, as I mentioned in the note you should be receiving at your PO Box today, I know I can book you into a non-bookstore venue and that you would have a large appreciative audience.

Re:  Holmes reworkings with unexpected characters, also tangentially touching on our Hollywood Babylon discussion department:  I think I forgot what I was going to type after that department heading.....

Oh, yes.  There's a great book called The Case of the Philosopher's Ring, wherein Holmes investigates the strange disappearances of a number of late 19th century notables, e.g., Bertrand Russell.  The arch-fiend of the piece is none other than Uncle Al, Aleister Crowley (The Great Beast 666).

My abandoned Master's Thesis was going to be a book-length comparison of Crowley and W.B. Yeats, who of course were both mystics involved in the Golden Dawn and had a famously bitchy feud with each other ("What, pray tell, are Yeats?" Crowley once acidly asked).  However, the correspondences between the two are quite astounding (to quote Simon Cowell ;))--they both had wives who each delivered "revealed" wisdom through automatic writing--in Yeats' case, his weird compendium A Vision, in Crowley's, his self-appointed revelation of a new epoch, The Book of the Law.  They were both regular practicioners of ritual magic(k) and, though Crowley is of course better known for his prose, were both quite amazing poets who tended to cover the same symbolic territory in their writings.

Gee, that was kind of a short story in and of itself.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:24:49 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »

Look what I found when I searched the library catalogue! :-D

" Abstract:    Guy Haines, a tennis star who hates his wife, is approached on a train by a stranger, Bruno Anthony, who hates his father. Anthony offers a plan: each could kill the other's victim. No motive, no clue would link the two murders save the casual meeting of strangers on a train. Haines doesn't take the plan seriously, however, until his wife is suddenly murdered, and Anthony appears to demand that Haines keep his part of the bargain."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2005, 08:29:34 AM »

I have had this discussion with several of my friends. I seem to photograph differently in every picture that is taken of me. I will go through and line up several different pictures for my friends at times because they do not believe me when I tell them how differently I photograph.

Must be an Indiana thing.  I've said the same about ex-Hoosier Frances Farmer for years!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2005, 08:29:40 AM »

DR Joey, I love the new avatar.  A few years ago when Mr. Vixmom & I used to volunteer as operators for the local (WLIW Channel 21) PBS  begathons pledge drives we became friendly with the station management (although that didn't help when we tried to get them to air the Esperanto  show, but that's another story).  When the BBC contacted them to do a show about Americans watching  "Are You Being Served" I was asked to be one of the participants.  They filmed us all watching the show at the station assisitant managers' home and then interviewed us all about how we felt about it.  Mr. Vixmom's family in England called us when it was shown to ask, if it was indeed I on the program as we hadn't even thought to mention to them that I had been filmed, thinking I would probably end up on the cutting room floor...

About a year later they had John Inman ( Mr. Humphries)  at the station for one of the begathons pledge drives and they invited those of us who had participated in the BBC show to come and meet him at a small private party in the station.  They showed us the section of the show that we were in and I was suprised to see they had used quite a bit of footage of me.  John Inman happened to sit next to me and   when it was over he turned to me  said , "That's you!!You were absolutely wonderful! May I have your autograph?" (Of course I had praised him as the best thing in the show!)  :D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 08:31:47 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2005, 08:31:56 AM »

Our Library has the complete Black Adder collector's set! I will be checking it out this afternoon once I return from the orthodontist. Unfortunately they do not have Fawltry Towers.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2005, 08:33:22 AM »

Oops, there are only 12 episodes of FAWLTY TOWERS instead of a baker's dozen. (I just checked to make sure.) Still, they're marvelous.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2005, 08:43:02 AM »

I'm listening to Donald's show which this week focuses on The Most Happy Fella

I am a most happy listener!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2005, 08:48:08 AM »

Must be an Indiana thing.  I've said the same about ex-Hoosier Frances Farmer for years!

Dear JMK, here is no such thing as an "ex-Hoosier". Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2005, 08:48:40 AM »

Vixmom I great PBS and John Inman story. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up