Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEE BONNIE NOTES  (Read 28624 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WEE BONNIE NOTES
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:01:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, they were most bonnie and even a little wee, and not it is time for you to post until the wee cows come home.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:58:59 PM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE WEE BONNIE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 12:35:32 AM »

Swashbucklers, Eh?  My meat & taters!

ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN
SCARAMOUCHE
THE CRIMSON PIRATE
THE FLAME & THE ARROW
THE SEA HAWK
CAPTAIN BLOOD
MARK OF ZORRO (Ty Power)
DON JUAN (John Barrymore)
BELOVED ROGUE (Barrymore)
IF I WERE KING
THE VIKINGS
THREE MUSKETEERS (Gene Kelly)
3 & 4 MUSKETEERS (Richard Lester)
THE PIRATE (Gene Kelly)
IVANHOE (Robert Taylor)
QUENTIN DURWARD (Robt. Taylor)
PRISONER OF ZENDA (Colman)
PRINCE OF FOXES
COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO (Robt. Donat)
MAN IN THE IRON MASK (Louis Hayward)
SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS (Granger)
EL CID
THE WARLORD
MOONFLEET
SINBAD THE SAILOR
GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD
JASON & THE ARGONAUTS
THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD ('39-KORDA)
ROB ROY (Liam Neeson)

FAVOURITE SWASHBUCKLING SCORES

THIEF OF BAGHDAD (Rozsa)
MOONFLEET (Rozsa)
CROSSED SWORDS (AKA Prince & the Pauper..Jarre)
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE
ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN
KING'S THIEF
TARAS BULBA
EL CID
THE VIKINGS
THE WARLORD
IVANHOE
KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:55:17 AM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 12:35:51 AM »

I went for a swim this morning and of course remembered to buckle my swash appropriately.

Love the "Court Jester" but thought "The Black Shield of Falworth" and "The Purple Mask" were wonderful.   Of course I've seen neither since I was about ten years old. Yes, I thought Curtis was wonderful.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:23:40 AM »

I am so agitated right now I can't even see straight.  Right after posting the notes, I called Adelphia because I haven't been able to access my e-mail all night.  She was dealing with that, when I told her about the other strange thing - on my cable modem, the "data" light has been blinking like crazy, which it's never done before.  As I'm talking to her, my computer completely freaks out and starts making this horrible screeching noise.  Everything freezes, I have to shut it down manually, and now when I turn it on I just get that horrid noise and a little "finder" icon with a question mark.  I've written my Mac Man - hopefully he'll read his e-mails when he gets up.  I'll also call Apple first thing in the morning.  I'm just petrified of losing everything - I haven't saved anything I've been working on for the last week.  The book, sans three little things, is saved, thank goodness.

I'm just praying that if there's a problem they can save whatever's on the hard drive.  I'm shaking right now, and doubt I'll be sleeping much.  Thank goodness I have the Dell so I can still get online.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 02:27:16 AM »

I'm not going to be sleeping much either. I'm up typing a paper. Actually, I'm up writing the paper. At some point tonight, I will type it and then go to sleep.

I just love staying up writing papers. This one isn't even that big a deal, but I'm so good at procrastinating that I saved it until M*A*S*H was over at one in the morning.

This paper is for my Musical Theatre class and it's about the high school musical one of the guys I fence with was in.

I am really looking forward to the much longer and more difficult papers that are coming up very shortly in my other classes.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 02:45:12 AM »

And speaking of procrastinating, my favorite swashbuckling movie would have to be The Princess Bride. I also remember the Ritz brothers' version of The Three Musketeers. Not a lot of swashbuckling, but there was one scene with a lot of soup, and that's just as good.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:31:18 AM »

I'm calling this paper finished. It's taken a lot longer than it should have, but only because I kept getting distracted.

Good night!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 04:58:22 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a long day today so I may be E&T most of it.

After DRPogue's fantastic list of swashbucklers, the only films I could add would be Gerard Depardieu's CYRANO DE BERGERAC, Daniel Auteuil's ON GUARD, and THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD.  There are a few on Pogue's list I haven't seen but would like to.

Scores: THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
           THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD
           THE THIEF OF BAGDAD
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:58:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 05:07:09 AM »

AOL on the Web is acting funny this morning. It seems to work at home but I have to use AOL.com at work and it won't load. Something is amiss in the universe.

Anthony's rehearsals are going swimmingly (or runningly or fencingly or whateverly) and he's looking forward to performing his favorite kind of music. He has been able to add some original recordings of old music to his ever growing collection so he will have much to listen to while he resides in Virgina during the Forum performances.

I must now run and begin to work, otherwise I may be accused of the shirk. BTW (by the way) there is no Word of the Day. What's goin' on, hey, hey, hey!

It's a bad rhyme, I know but it's early ;-)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:10:38 AM »

C C B B.
I got it! Thank you, DR BEN! :D

Ben

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 05:15:28 AM »

Larry, AOL is up and working again and I finally watched that little tidbit you sent out yesterday. Oh, my. The joys of the internet. It's very funny.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:16:56 AM »

I would like to add a vote for The Princess Bride.

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die."
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 05:38:16 AM »

The Sea Hawk is very good.  The score itself is enough to get the blood moving.
 I hope DRSandra doesn't get too caught up in her paper.  DRSandra, please pay attention to this list if you want to see some great fencing.

Bruce, who is scheduled for this Ray Court's show?

I really need to sleep instead of being up now.  Oh well, time to make the doughnuts.......
I like boat races.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 05:53:31 AM »

I have a question to DR who will post next.
SWASHBUCKLING movie is not same as ADVENTURE movie?
Has more historical and/or more combatant and/or graver nuance?
For example, Stand By Me is a boys' little adventure film, right? Could it be called SWASHBUCKLER, too? ???

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 06:03:44 AM »

'morning!  Here for a wee bit before heading off to The University of Dayton to hear student presentations in an English class.  Back in February, I guest-lectured them on how to research grant possibilities for the nonprofit agencies to which they were assigned.  Today, they're presenting their final proposals to each other, their instructor, the agency reps, and me.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 06:13:35 AM »

A good rule of thumb is, if there is a sword fight, it is a swashbuckling movie.

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 06:52:32 AM »

Favorite swashbucklers:

2 Italian Richard Harrison movies, AVENGER OF THE SEVEN SEAS (1961) and THREE SERGEANTS OF BENGAL and the BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE (1952) starring Robert Newton, Linda Darnell, and Keith Andes.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 06:54:17 AM »

A good rule of thumb is, if there is a sword fight, it is a swashbuckling movie.

If light sabers count, I'll add Star Wars!

Off to UD - back later.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 06:54:57 AM »

TOD:

The Dancing Cavalier

I love Don Lockwood's action scenes.  And that Lina Lamont really can sing!

And since everything else has already been mentioned, I'll add the Indiana Jones Films (except the middle one.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:57:25 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 06:58:29 AM »

Re: last night's Idol.

I was not happy that Scott did not go home.  I was not happy with the bottom 2 (nadia and bo).  As the 3 of them were standing there I said to myself, "what is gonna happen if they make scott sit down?"

I really liked nadia.  Yes she often made bad song choices.  But when she made good song choices they were incredible.  I loved what she sang last night.

I think simon's comments (saying she should go home) were part of the reason she left. :(

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 07:16:02 AM »

TOD  - Pirates of Penzance (with Kevin Kline as the Pirate King) and Piraytes of the Carribean.... hmm Johnny Depp or Kevin Kline which is my favorite pirate?

I must think about this......
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 07:22:04 AM »

Just caught up with yesterday's posts

DR CP posted
.. Kimmel's had an accident...or it's finally happened, he's been taken out by a crazed fan.  I order dinner.  

There's the difference between men and women... I would have been at the pay phone or borrowed a waitress's cell phone trying to reach my friend who most obviously must have been lying bleeding on the pavement somewhere...if that didn't work  I would have driven to his house to make sure it hadn't burned down with him inside!!!  :o

DR CP orders and eats dinner and then goes home and checks his email!! (which is excatly what Mr. Vixmom, my dad, my brothers and just about every other man I know would do!!!  ) ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 07:23:55 AM by vixmom »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 07:34:58 AM »

I don't see how anything can compare to THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, certainly not to my mind, but I also love THE MARK OF ZORRO, CAPTAIN FROM CASTILLE, THE PIRATE, THE SEA HAWK, the 1948 and 1973 versions of THE THREE MUSKETEERS. I haven't ever seen the Douglas Fairbanks version in its entirety, so it's possible that would join the club.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 07:40:04 AM »

Nadia had a very good voice, but she's not been very canny in her song choices, and inevitably, if you're not pleasing the public, you're going to go home. She can be true to her artistic standards all she wants, but she's got to do some audience pleasing if she wants votes.

I was not surprised by Bo's inclusion in the bottom three after calling all the numbers repeatedly on Tuesday night. His line was not busy at all after the first ten or fifteen minutes. Only Constantine and Carrie had busy signals that lasted for nearly an hour. They right now are the two to beat, I think. I think Vonzell is becoming the dark horse, gaining fans and approval week after week.

Bo needs to show off his voice more. He can still do rock versions, but prancing around the stage swinging his hair isn't the same as singing, and he has a very good voice. He needs to show it off more in the rock vein.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 07:41:46 AM »

Mr. Kevin Kline... DR WFO,  didn't we see this on Broadway together?

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 07:44:25 AM »

Mr. Johnny Depp....

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 07:45:02 AM »

oh gosh, we just got ads for Pirates boots!! LOL!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »

oh gosh, we just got ads for Pirates boots!! LOL!

And yet, sadly, still no ads for

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]albino hermaphrodites!!!![/move]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 08:01:47 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I had a good night's sleep.  Or rather a good night's not-sleep.  It was one of those strange nights where I was tired, but never really felt sleepy.  I wasn't restless, just didn't really fall asleep - I think.  Every time I closed my eyes, that's exactly what I felt like I was doing - just closing my eyes.  And once I got out of bed around 9:30, I felt bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  And I still do.  I've already had my oatmeal and blueberries - with a splash of maple syrup...

And that's how my day began...

Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 08:05:49 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day....

Hmm... Not really into swashbuckling here, but I think that has more to do with my generation - rather the movies that came out during my generation.  -Or however I'm supposed to word that.  In any case...

"The Princess Bride" is one of my all time favorite movies period.  The Byrd Theatre here in Richmond shows it as a Midnight Movie every couple of weeks, and I try to go when I'm in town.

I'm sure other titles will come to my mind as the day progresses.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up