Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEE BONNIE NOTES  (Read 28664 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE WEE BONNIE NOTES
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2005, 09:51:09 AM »

I still have my tonsils!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »

Enjoy your dinners tonight BK & CP!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2005, 09:56:22 AM »

OK - Time for me to head out for a bit.  I'll bring my laptop with me just in case I can log in later - I'm not sure if Steve will have the computer set up this afternoon in his new place yet.  So, until then...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2005, 09:59:40 AM »

William F. Orr, I've been holding out against buying a cell phone for as long as I can.  I do not share the rest of the world's obsession with wanting to be connected and at everyone's disposal 24/7.  You see people talking their lives away and not living them...utterly unaware of the everyday wonders going on around them.  

I think they have also helped to increase the world's level of rudeness, self-absorption, and its short attention span.  I think they are just as intrusive as cigarette-smoking and should be banned everywhere cigarettes are banned and maybe even in more places.  I don't think one should be allowed to use them in cars, in restaurants, and, it goes without saying, theatres.

You hear people in stores yammering to their friends on them and you just want to shout at them, "Pipe down!  Your sad, little, mediocre life is just not that interesting to share with the rest of the world!  You're boring us!  Shut up!"  I'm surprised they're not boring themselves...to have lives so empty they have to make themselves available to any interruption and to answer any little ring.

Admittedly, there are times like last night when one might have proved useful...or when you have a flat tire 200 hundred miles outside of Tucumcari in the middle of the New Mexico desert.  But that's about the only time I'd use one.

The Lovely Wife got one...but she only uses it to call out on, I don't even have the number.  Of course, she's already using it to call me from the market down the street on her way home from work.  If it gets to the point, she calls me to tell me she's just pulled into the garage, then I may throw it through a window.

To answer your question about people's shock, yes.  A few weeks ago, I was pulling onto a studio lot and they didn't have a drive-on for me.  They told me to pull over to a designated spot and call the production office I was going to for one.  I pulled over and noticed the lot public phone was out of order.  When I mentioned this to the guard, he said "Well, you've got a cell, don't you?"  "No."  They had to call from the guard kiosk.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2005, 10:00:14 AM »

I'm off again, too, this time to listen in on proposal review deliberations for arts funding.  It's public money being awarded, so the review process has to be open to the public.  They use the auditorium in my library and it's always very informative.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2005, 10:08:25 AM »

Footnotes!  Oh my DRGINNY - how many pages did I have to re-type to make them fit.  OY!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2005, 10:36:18 AM »

Re old-fashioned term papers: I agreed a few times to type term papers as a favor for friends, expecting them to hand me a legible hand-written grammatically-correct paper several days before the due date. Are you all laughing?

I ended up each time staying up all night the day before the deadline, while they composed their papers, page by page, sitting beside me at my typewriter (at least it was electric). I denied knowing how to type shortly after that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2005, 10:36:34 AM »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2005, 10:37:36 AM »

Re:  Amber.   That is exactly what Betsy says about her, too, MB.  She has said repeatedly that Amber was just a "blank" on the original Survivor (she was Jeri's minion, IIRC).

Precisely.  I didn't even remember her when she was on the All Stars.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2005, 10:38:15 AM »

DR Sandra is one of those lucky ones who can whip out a paper overnight and get an A -- like my older sister could. I always had to work very hard at it. My sister and daughter both know more big words than I do.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2005, 10:39:05 AM »

I have a cell phone, but I am not an excessive cell phone user, in fact I rarely use it..mostly just to make long distance phone calls. Once in awhile I will call from a store to let a buddy or my sister know about a fantastic buy! LOL! And it is nice to know that I can be reached when I am away from the home environment,  and the cell phone has come in handy on many occasions, particularly when I have been on the road and have gotten my directions mixed up!

I imagine that people who are rude with there cell phones were probably rude even before they had a cell phone.

I honestly don't think I have ever paid much mind to what, why, or when people I don't personally know use their cell phones....with one exception...when someone is at the cash register at a store and they don't stop talking on the phone long enough to even acknowledge the cashier. I do find that rather rude.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2005, 10:40:40 AM »

Here is the stonework so far on the cross:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2005, 10:41:46 AM »

So does the cashier, I am sure, DRMB.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2005, 10:43:09 AM »

Great picture DRLAURA.

Oh....what horrible memories you just brought up....sitting at the typewriter waiting for the person writing the paper to say something....then changing it AFTER YOU JUST TYPED THE SENTENCE!  Agony!  I only did it a few times myself, after that, they were on their own.

I will edit and format on the typewriter for you - but I won't take DICTATION!!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 10:43:42 AM by JRand54 »

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2005, 10:43:26 AM »

Not that anyone asked me!  ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

What was everyone's first typewriter?  I had some small old fashioned black portable that my father bought me at a yard sale.  It must have been a Remington!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2005, 10:49:18 AM »

I'm not much of a cell phone user, either.  I use it when I'm lost, or if I'm running late because of traffic (the ONLY reason I ever run late, being the punctual person I am) - that's about it.  A few of my close pals have it, but I'd say I only actually turn the thing on about two hours a week, if that.

I find these people who must be on their cell ALL the time (you know the types - walking down the street with their earphone in, just chattering away, not caring who hears their most intimate secrets.  It used to be that when you saw someone muttering to themselves as they walked down the street, you assumed they were insane.  Now the oddity is not seeing someone muttering to whomever they're muttering to on their cells.  I have a real problem with anyone who uses a cell in a restaurant - that's just plain rude.   But, for emergencies and such, they can be very helpful.

TONSIL!

I managed to go back to sleep for about forty-five minutes, since I think I only got about three hours last night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2005, 10:53:05 AM »

Then I bought my own Brother Blue Portable.  Then a Sears Electric Portable Typewriter.  Then a Brother Electronic.  And then I moved into the computer age.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2005, 10:53:18 AM »

I didn't realize Frances was a replacement in SOF.  Oh my.

She was a replacement for a replacement!! Maureen O'Hara was the first one cast, then she got appendicitis.  Cobina Wright was hired and I think she came down with pneumonia.  Some Fox books say that Wright is still in some master shots but I sure haven't seen where.  The only shot I can even think that she'd be in is the establishing shot outside the stable right before Ty and Frances' first big scene together.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »

I learned on a manual typewriter. I took typing in summer school after 11th grade. It's one of the best things I ever did, no question. I'm a very good touch typist (over years of using the computer my speed as a typist has increased to the point that I'm at about 75-80 wpm) and when I'm looking at the source document, I usually know when I've made a mistake. I look at the screen and, yep, there is a typo.

My first typewriter was a small manual metal thing (my parents had a bigger manual but that was for everyone to use) in its own carrying case. It also had that double ribbon, half black and half red. When the correction ribbons came out I bought one of those that had a black half and a correction half.

JMK

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »

Re:  typing footnotes.  I did many a paper on my Sears portable electric and I also made quite a bit of money typing papers for others, including several Masters Theses.  IIRC, the rule was, 1 inch from the bottom was your pre-determined margin.  Then for every footnote on a given page you added 1/2 inch to the bottom margin.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2005, 10:57:02 AM »

I'm listening to the sublime Barbara Cook. It's the compilation album The Broadway Years. What a set of tonsils that girl has. Ahh, heaven!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »

DR JMK - that's right Maureen was scheduled first.  And I think you are right, I can never pick out Frances in that long establishing shot with all those people and horses walking around in front of the house.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:46 AM »

Would you believe even I had to use a typewriter for a term paper once at my tender young age? That's what I get for waiting until the last minute to do it. Boy that was slow going! I think the teacher didn't mark me off for bad formatting because she knew I had never used one before then.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2005, 11:03:33 AM »

My first typewriter, which I used from high school up till we got computers at work, was a portable whose name I cannot remember.  It is still in its case packed away with other things from our move.

In college I got it modified for typing Esperanto and French, just took it into a shop and they ordered the accent keys and "deadened" them, so you could type the accent and then the letter.  I believe one of my keys had a symbol I wanted to save, on upper case (for those of you who are too young to remember manual typewriters, as this was BEFORE JOEY WAS BORN, the physical key had both u.c. and l.c. symbols on it)--so they guy actually sawed the keys in two and welded the upper of one onto the lower of the other.  

Unfortunately, even thought the Esperanto letters are a part of Unicode and UT-8, and can be used on the Internet, this here program we use to post doesn't recognize them.

I type them and get ĈĜĤĴŜŬ.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »

However, I was recently looking at my Google Preferences page (just click Preferences at googl.com) and noticed they have a huge list of interface languages, Esperanto among them.

So now when I google I get "Bildoj" instead of "Images" and "TTT" instead of "WWW".  Instead of "I Feel Lucky" I get "Mi Bonshancas", but with the S-circumflex instead of Sh.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2005, 11:10:16 AM »

Smith-Corona.  It's a Smith-Corona.
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2005, 11:12:23 AM »

My first, and only typewriter I think, was very similar to this....

I don't know where I got it, but I used it all through high school in the late 70s and early 80s...it was heavy..cast iron...and the keys would get stuck a lot.

JMK

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2005, 11:14:31 AM »

I received a really fascinating bit of movie memorabilia today courtesy of eBay.  These are huge (about 3 feet by 4 feet) sheets, 7 in all (there were evidently 8, as they are numbered, and number 7 is missing), full of promotional photos and information about the RKO feature Toast of New York, starring Cary Grant and Frances Farmer.  I have never seen anything like these in my many years of collecting memorabilia.  They give historical facts about the characters in the film (including side by side photos of the real folk and the actors playing them), tons of behind the scenes candids, and most interestingly for a 1937 feature, a snippet of the shooting script and stills from the script scene included.  I can't imagine what theater would have been big enough to have these displayed, especially when you consider they probably would have had the regular lobby cards and all in the window boxes.  However, Toast opened at Radio City Music Hall, so I'm wondering if these were special PR items made especially for that venue.  (The seller was in NY, so I'm thinking that that indeed may be the case).

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2005, 11:31:51 AM »

We had a portable, manual Royal as well.  But that was when I was a kid.  By the time I got to HS, we had a Brother Blue Electric.  It was on that apparatus that I typed my 25 or 30 page AP English paper on Oscar Wilde (stop sniggering out there!).  I don't recall if I had finished writing it before starting to type it.  All I remember is that it was my only all nighter.  Ever.   I vowed never to do it again.  Ever.

The funny sidebar to this story is that I used to listen to WNEW-AM in my bedroom (for, by then, it was MY bedroom, my brothers having moved out of the apartment!).  Well, as some of you New Yorkers may remember, WNEW-AM was found at 1130 on the dial.  So every once in a while I would hear an announcer say something like "It's eleven-thirty in New York."  It wasn't until I turned around and looked at the clock at 3:30 AM that I became aware that they were giving the station ID, and not the time.

Regarding footnotes, I used to lightly mark a margin with a pencil tic mark along the edge of the paper before inseting it to type.  It helped me know when to stop typing in general, but also helped me gauge where the footnotes should start.  At the end of a long paper, the little rubber shavings from erasing all those little tic-marks could get mountainous.

The PS to this story is that in college, all my papers were usually done a week ahead of time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:33:32 AM by Stuart »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up