Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING VAINLY THE OLD ENNUI  (Read 22212 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIGHTING VAINLY THE OLD ENNUI
« on: April 17, 2005, 11:57:52 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have given you ennui, which you've fought vainly, and now it is time for you to post until the cows, who are also fighting vainly the old ennui, come home.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 11:07:11 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FIGHTING VAINLY THE OLD ENNUI
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:13:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: BARRATRY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:22:57 AM »

I too am not a fan of "Stand Up" but I guess not surprisingly to some DRs, I did enjoy "Three Guys Naked From The Waist Down".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 05:01:39 AM »

Interesting word of which I knew nothing.

Noun - bar·ra·try   noun plural - bar·ra·tries

1. The offense of persistently instigating lawsuits, typically
groundless ones.
2. An unlawful breach of duty on the part of a ship's master or crew
resulting in injury to the ship's owner.
3. Sale or purchase of positions in church or state.

[Middle English barratrie, the sale of church offices, from Old French
baraterie, deception, malversation, from barater, to cheat. See barrator.]

Main Entry: bar·ra·try
Pronunciation: 'bar-&-trE
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural -tries
Etymology: Middle French baraterie deception, from barater to
deceive, cheat
1 : an unlawful act or fraudulent breach of duty by a ship's master
or crew that injures the interests of the ship's or cargo's owners
often used in marine insurance policies
NOTE: Examples of barratry include embezzling cargo, stealing a
ship's equipment, or willfully sinking a ship.
2 : the persistent incitement of litigation
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:02:33 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:06:31 AM »

I went to see Darling of the Day on Friday, the day before esteemed Mr. Moore and Mr. Rod(zinski). I, too, quite enjoyed it and would like to see a full production. I understand from musical history and the notes that it had quite a troubled road to Broadway. Too bad. There is some lovely music in the show and Miss Rebecca Luker (and Mr. Simon Jones) would both be quite good in a full staging. I won't be able to get to Illinois this summer (perhaps the producers will fly our ever-lovin' Larry down as part of the production) but perhaps if it's successful a move would be in the offing.

Slow Monday here at HHW. I am only the 4 poster at 8:06am.

I'm seeing Steel Magnolias on Wednesday. A friend of mine knows one of the producers and they are papering the house to try and boost business.

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:50:51 AM »

ENNUI was always one of my favorite words.

Of comics in the last 30 years or so, Ellen DeGeneres, the late Dennis Wolfberg, Taylor Negron are among those that I find genuinely funny.  There were a number of good ones in the 70's and then again in the late 80's or so.  Very few since then.  Currently I would have to add Louis Black to the list.

Off to decide whether to have cereal or toast for breakfast.  Oh boy!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 05:52:18 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:53:18 AM »

Kerry, you could have Cinnamon Toast Crunch (not that I eat it) ;-)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 06:00:10 AM »

Only four six posts!  What is this--a Monday holiday?

I used to love going to comedy clubs during the 80's and early 90's.  There was a wide diveristy of comedians--from inane clowns to urbane and witty sophisticates.  But in the last ten years or so, all the new comedians I've seen seem to fall into one of two categories--either the good ole boy frat types with the beer in the hand like BK saw last night who re-enact their binge-drinking days, or the laid-back Seinfeld clones who are still doing the "Didja ever notice" routines.  I grew tired of both and rarely go to a comedy club these days.

The only exceptions have been to see either Reno or Wanda Sykes.  Both of these ladies can make me laugh so hard my stomach hurts and I have tears running from my eyes.  Reno is hard to catch anywhere except NYC, but Wanda often tours (she also all over the place on Fox, the Comedy Channel and Leno.)

I also like this Hungarian female stand-up who did a show on the Comedy Channel, but I don't recall her name.  She did this bit about coming out as a lesbian to her mother that was side-splitting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 06:01:09 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 06:03:22 AM »

INMH, standup contains too much coarse language, which I find to be unfunny.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 06:04:23 AM »

I am thinking that maybe I'll go to the river preserve today, so maybe I'll have a photo or two later on.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 06:05:28 AM »

Barratry--a 70's crime drama starring Robert Blake.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 06:07:02 AM »

Ellen DeGeneres is a favorite, but I can't think of any others off-hand. I have seen some on TV that cracked me up, but the names aren't coming to me this early in the morning.

And why I am up this early in the morning, I just don't know, since I have today off!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 06:45:46 AM »

Since I was down to the recording office yesterday, I'm spendng the day at home working on the two projects on my desk.  The laundry is in, the pencils are sharpened, and my mind's still blurry.

Standup:
When I was doing the cabaret act "Just Good Friends" in the early 1980s, we did a couple of spots where the standup comedienne introducing us was Rita Rudner.  I still think she's a hoot.
Ellen de Generes would be on my list as well
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:13:29 AM »

You beat me to the punch, DR Elmore.  Rita Rudner is at the top of my list.

Early Roseanne.  Early Sandra Bernhard.   Mid Joan Rivers.  Bob Newhart.  (I don't think those last two qualify as "golden age" comics.)

I agree with DR Laura.  I don't understand why people think using obscenities is funny.  I'm not saying I would throw Lenny Bruce in jail, but it seems much more intelligent to make your point, and get a laugh, without foul language.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 07:28:36 AM »

My, this IS a slow Monday!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 07:33:10 AM »

Yep, I like Ellen DeGeneres, too, and Joan Rivers about 15-20 years ago. And Jerry Sienfeld's standup can be quite funny as can Margaret Cho's.

During the second year of Star Search, comic actor John Kassir won the comedy category (over Sinbad in the finals). He was hysterical in many, many way-out bits of humor that one had to be very quick to catch. He has gone on to act in the original off-Broadway production of THREE GUYS NAKED FROM THE WAIST DOWN (he's on the cast album), guest star in many TV shows, and do voice over for lots of cartoons. But he isn't nearly as famous as he deserved to be from those numerous appearances on Star Search, every one outrageous and hilarious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 07:41:39 AM »

Yes, DARLING OF THE DAY had a very troubled road to Broadway (it's detailed in Mandelbaum's NOT SINCE CARRIE), and it landed on Broadway during the infamously bad musical season 1967-68, the same year as HALLELUJAH BABY, ILLYA DARLING, HOW NOW DOW JONES, GOLDEN RAINBOW, THE HAPPY TIME (which I loved), and HENRY SWEET HENRY. So, that means it's also meat for William Goldman's chewing in the masterful book THE SEASON.

I've always liked the cast album, another one of those that you listen to and wonder how the show could bomb so badly. Star Patricia Routledge won a Tony Award (in a tie with Leslie Uggams).

Ben

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 07:49:28 AM »

So this monumental moment is brought to you by Post No. 1953,  the year in which I was born.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 07:49:58 AM »

RCA did re-issue that DARLING OF THE DAY cast album on CD a year or two ago, so it's probably still available. If not, I'm sure some of us could scare up a dupe.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 08:53:10 AM »

So this monumental moment is brought to you by Post No. 1953,  the year in which I was born.
Which makes you about six months older than I.

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 08:55:27 AM »

I agree with DR Laura.  I don't understand why people think using obscenities is funny.  I'm not saying I would throw Lenny Bruce in jail, but it seems much more intelligent to make your point, and get a laugh, without foul language.
Maybe someone could come up with a good routine out of using all the curse-word euphemisms in place of the curse-words themselves!  Fudge, it could be funnier than heck!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »

Yesterday, George wrote:

After the train ride, we went to Fry's Electronics, which is this HUGE, GIGANTIC electronics store not too far from the dinner train station.

I'm not sure I'd want to shop at an electronics store called Fry's.  The name reminds me of the death penalty for some reason.

"And how would you like to pay for your purchase, sir?  Will that be cash, charge, or lethal injection?"

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 08:57:12 AM »

Fave standups: George Carlin and Bill Cosby (who I just caught a few months ago, and dangit if he still isn't as sidesplittingly funny as he ever was).

It is a lost art form, though: a good friend of ours has worked her way up from amateur to semi-professional status, and we've seen her do her thing at a bunch of competitions. The number of people who can't develop an individual persona is just staggering (I wanted to shout out at one point: "we've all seen Seinfeld too, you know!"), as well as those who think that being offensive or angry is by itself interesting or funny.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 09:00:06 AM »

Maybe someone could come up with a good routine out of using all the curse-word euphemisms in place of the curse-words themselves!  Fudge, it could be funnier than heck!

Not quite the same, but George Carlin had a classic bit where he went through all the adjectives used to describe bad words ("suggestive, obscence, locker-room talk, barracks language, blue...") for what seemed like ten minutes, followed by "and all the words I know are..." and rattle off the big seven in about 0.001 second.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »

I'm trying to imagine Ellen deG doing standup with a beer bottle in her hand.  It doesn't work.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 09:03:22 AM »

Which makes you about six months older than I.

:-*

(a la Pee Wee Herman:)

Older than me!  Older than me!  La!  La!  La!  You're both older than me!
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »

There's something about the title for today that sounds like a football fight song.

Yeah, "Fighting the Old Ennui," a football song by Mel Brooks.

We're gonna take these pompoms, give 'em a shake
And prove our boobs are real, not fake!

That sounds about right.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2005, 09:11:05 AM »

I tell ya, folks, I don't get no respect.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2005, 09:14:42 AM »

Ha!  Ha!  Haaaaaaaaa!

My husband, Fang is so dumb I once said, "There's a dead bird."
He looked up!
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2005, 09:18:37 AM »

Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up