Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SEDUCED BY HOLLYWOOD  (Read 3094 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SEDUCED BY HOLLYWOOD
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:05:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were seduced and abandoned by Hollywood, and now it is time for you to post until the seductive cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SEDUCED BY HOLLYWOOD
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: APPRECIABLE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 12:56:00 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't remember which movie (on any format) was the first movie that I ever bought.  My parents started buying them and I go some of theirs at some point, I'm sure.  But I do remember the very first DVD that I ever got.  It was Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 01:01:01 AM »

Off to bed.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 04:15:27 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »

I had a long, meandering dream that I was working with Rob Berman on a workshop of Gershwin's Oh, Kay! Then we were rehearsing in this run-down studio and my Middletown friend David McIntosh showed up while I was trying to keep this spiral-bound collection of Gershwin songs together.

Oh, Kay! was the first show I did at Goodspeed around 1988.  Danny Troob was the first person to work on it, and then I was brought on.  I don't know the details, but he never showed up for the band rehearsal, so we didn't meet until we worked on a recording of Broadway songs in Chinese around 1995.  Danny made it very clear that he was underwhelmed to meet me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:26:07 AM »

Producer David Marrick took that Goodspeed version Oh, Kay! to Broadway, and everyone involved at Goodspeed - except for the slimeball choreographer and book adapter - was dumped.  The production was a huge flop.

Pity.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:26:28 AM »

But who's bitter?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:27:08 AM »

DR Matthew, that was a speedy round of good news. Fantastic!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 04:28:28 AM »

DR TCB, Sasha moves in today?  I was hoping for more details.  How did you find her?  You went through a rescue group and not the local shelter?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 04:29:54 AM »

I have no real plans today.  I have another round of A&T notes to go over, and I want to look over the first chapter again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 04:32:12 AM »

My first video equipment was a VCR, but I have no idea what my first VHS tape was.  I only remember that there was a huge video store on Broadway around the corner from The Drama Book Shop, and I rented four videos at a time.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 04:46:33 AM »

Good morning, everyone.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 04:47:10 AM »

I hope to take a look at bk's second Partridge event video sometime today.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 04:48:01 AM »

The only thing I know about Max Richter is his magnum opus, Sleep:

Sleep is an album by composer Max Richter. Release on 9/4/15 as a digital download, and on 12/11/15 as an 8CD/1 Blu-ray set, it is a concept album base around the neuroscience of sleep, hence the piece's length of over 8 hours.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 04:52:03 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:04 AM »

I hope and pray that Sasha comes home to live with DR TCB today.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:35 AM »

Although I am not sure how that can happen when the shelter is only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 05:20:49 AM »

Although I am not sure how that can happen when the shelter is only open on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

That puzzled me, too, but perhaps, since they have to be there every day to feed the rescues, there will be someone there today top hand Sasha over.  It may be that they are there every day but only open to the public on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 05:21:23 AM »

DR vixmom, it's good to know that you are alive and well.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 05:46:47 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 05:51:46 AM »

Yes, it’s good to have DR vixmom back and posting.

Interesting about the church. The one up near Poughkeepsie, where they pick their feet, that I occasionally substitute at, had reopened to the congregation in August. Only a dozen or so were attending then, but it’s picked up some since. And rows and seats are marked.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 05:55:04 AM »

T.O.D.

I bought a Betamax shortly after they came onto the market.

Fox started releasing films on tape and, as I recall, I bought several right off the bat: PATTON, THE FRENCH CONNECTION...

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 06:00:02 AM »

The nice thing about the Betamax was that you could record a movie right off the air.

I'd sit and watch a movie; edit out the commercials before they came on.

Much cheaper to do it that way that buy a pre-recorded film.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 06:01:15 AM »

On the other hand, the nice thing about a DVD is that they take up about one-third of the space of a video tape.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 06:03:44 AM »

Before I moved to Texas, I had over 6000 movies on DVD.

Now I have over 4000.

I watched them all every day.

:D

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 06:04:38 AM »

Before I moved, BK bought a lot of my DVDs.

Do you still have them?

;)

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »

In 1979/80 I lived in a friend’s condo while they were traveling, and my first experience with a VCR was their VHS — an early RCA top loader with the piano key controls. I don’t recall us renting then, but their first purchase of a few tapes (at around $80 each!) included a few classics like The African Queen. Even to my eyes then, that and the off-the-air recordings we made looked pretty abysmal.

Back my own apartment after that, I didn’t think about tapes for a couple of years. In 1983, living in Redondo Beach, I was ready to take the plunge, and a surprisingly good salesman at The Federated Group guided me to something of quality, the recently developed Beta HiFi, for optimal sound as well as a somewhat better picture. I dropped something like $1200 on a really good one that wasn’t even Sony, and I loved that machine until the day in 1989 that it was stolen.

So, rentals. My first ones were from a Wherehouse in Torrance, where every tape was $1 per day for up to ten days, the best deal and the simplest rental arrangement ever. First movie was Raiders of the Lost Ark, and I’d keep getting it whenever someone was visiting because it was so enjoyable and it made for an impressive demo tape for those, like my family, who were still new to the whole thing. That opened the floodgates, and I couldn’t begin to recall what all my rentals were over the next couple of years.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »

I never bought many tapes, mostly just rented. But in the late 80s I’d acquired my first laserdisc player at Rogersound Labs, and my first purchases at Ken Crane’s in Torrance included the Criterion Magnificent Ambersons and the Met’s Zeffirelli La Boheme. Later, living where I am now, I rented a lot of laserdiscs of all kinds.

I had memberships (remember memberships?) at a number of rental stores in LA, Chicago, and here in CT over the years. My love for film was deepened by the rental market, when one could browse and try out all manner of previously unknown movies.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 06:44:07 AM »

I did a lot of off-the-air recording, too, and I regret that I only kept a handful of those tapes.

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »

That Wherehouse in Torrance was also where I bought my first CD — Sunday in the Park With George. I had just acquired a player (again, on one of those special deals at Rogersound), and though I’d also just bought Sunday on LP, I was excited to find an additional track or two on the CD, and a couple of reviews of that release pushed me over the edge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up