Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO NEW TITLES  (Read 3088 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TWO NEW TITLES
« on: November 12, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had one from column A and two new titles, and now it is time for you to post until the new cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: TWO NEW TITLES
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:03:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROPENSITY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:19:21 AM »

Topic of the Day:  non-stereophonic albums and record players were before my time, so everything that I've gotten have been stereophonic. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 12:20:57 AM »

CDs have been ordered!  Can't wait to hear the entire CDs...I'm listening to the samples now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 01:08:16 AM »

Off to bed, then it's back to work.

Have a good day, all!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 03:32:03 AM »

Hello.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 04:04:56 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 04:09:02 AM »

Not a great night of sleep, and the two dreams that I did remember have faded since I woke and fed the cats.  At some point I woke and accidentally punched Thatch in the face. My hand connected with his four fangs, so I need to check his teeth when I'm near him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 04:13:04 AM »

My first stereo record player was through the Columbia Record Club, and my first stereo recording was Bye Bye Birdie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 04:14:10 AM »

Today I hope to proofread that score and parts; I don't want this to drag on.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 04:21:12 AM »

DR JohnG, that kindle price is good for 20 Zola novels, but that means the books are all 19th century public domain translations, most certainly bowdlerized for decent English readers. I shudder to think what happened to Nana and her torrid backstage life as  a grande horizontale in one of those translations.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 04:23:05 AM »

DR Ginny, I'm so sorry to hear about your latest Covid-19 concerns.  I hope everything works out well for Rob and his family.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 04:58:25 AM »

Oh, how I thrilled to "One From Column A" back in the day!  So zany and fun. I don't suppose those are still available to read anywhere online.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 05:00:13 AM »

Good morning, all.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 05:00:40 AM »

Last night, I attended an online presentation, the successor to the one I did a few weeks ago. This one was on the topic of "Musical Maps," and was an overview of music notation and how it has developed over time. It was fun and interesting.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2020, 05:29:45 AM »

I don’t think I’ve ever recalled what my own first stereo record was, but I know the first ones in the house were my dad’s Mitch Miller albums from when they bought their first stereo and joined the Columbia Record Club. I believe there was some Ferrante and Teicher, and I definitely remember us thrilling to some Andy Williams albums. The first cast recordings were South Pacific (mono, of course, but one of those horrible “electronically rechanneled for stereo” copies), and the soundtrack recording (stereo) of The Music Man. BK remembers the Ben-Hur box set; mine was the King of Kings one.

Their big record player purchase was a Sears Silvertone walnut floor-standing console, with AM/FM, and I do remember being enchanted with that year’s stereo broadcast of a performance of Messiah we had just attended at the beautiful new church where I was taking organ lessons. Heard on that first FM stereo on a Saturday morning a week after the concert, I was blown away by both the beauty of the music and by the sound of it all. I never thought of this before now, but I should try to find out if that recording exists anywhere.

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 05:31:19 AM »

Oh, how I thrilled to "One From Column A" back in the day!  So zany and fun. I don't suppose those are still available to read anywhere online.

Knowing nothing of this except for the few allusions to it that BK has made, I’d sure like to see a few examples myself.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 05:34:45 AM »

Good morning to all.
Never stop dreaming.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 05:37:28 AM »

My main dream from last night remains elusive, too. It’s “there”, trying to break through, but no luck so far. Maybe something today will trigger it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 05:49:20 AM »

Last night I sat down and watched the Indicator release of SWEET CHARITY. It’s a beautiful thing, and all the more infuriating for its obnoxious lack of entr’acte and exit music.

I haven’t yet read through enough of the technical stuff, but BK surely knows this:  What was the film’s original sound design -- mono or two-channel stereo for 35mm, and surround for the 70mm? And was that a blowup?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:06:51 AM by ChasSmith »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 05:49:39 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2020, 05:51:19 AM »

Along with kitty cleanup I did a Daddy cleanup and took a nice bath.  I still have to make the bed and order a few groceries. It's another rainy day so it's quite dark outside.

John G.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 05:52:23 AM »

DR JohnG, that kindle price is good for 20 Zola novels, but that means the books are all 19th century public domain translations, most certainly bowdlerized for decent English readers. I shudder to think what happened to Nana and her torrid backstage life as  a grande horizontale in one of those translations.

I agree. I have been reading newer translations where I have the book, which hasn’t been available for the lesser-known titles, like Le Reve. I’m reading them in Zola’s chronological order, so I haven’t reached Nana or Germinal yet.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 05:52:32 AM »

To Thatch's dismay, I forced his mouth open and checked his teeth.  To my relief all are intact.  He's now avoiding me.

John G.

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 05:53:17 AM »

I slept most of the night through, so all I want to do is sleep.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2020, 05:53:48 AM »

To Thatch's dismay, I forced his mouth open and checked his teeth.  To my relief all are intact.  He's now avoiding me.

Bad Daddy.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2020, 05:57:16 AM »

Bad Daddy.

I think we can all guess which of Thatch’s lists DR Elmore is on today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2020, 07:25:07 AM »

DR ELMORE cat DDS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2020, 07:25:24 AM »

Thursday.  All day......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2020, 07:28:20 AM »

Well this morning I toddled over to OLLIE'S - Good stuff cheap! - because there was something in this week's flyer that I wanted.  And I had also been emailed a 15% off entire purchase coupon code.

I found what I wanted - the Copper Fit face mask.....sort of a girdle for your face.....but it's nice and it was only $4.99.....so I bought one for my own self and one for my sister Paula.

I also bought a bag of Malomars.......AND.....they had the two volume set of The Encyclopedia of New Yorker Cartoons - for $19.99.....which cost me only $16.99 with my coupon.....so I am glad I motored over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up