Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE  (Read 2666 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:04:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes are correct so accentuate the positive, and now it is time for you to post until the accentuating the positive cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:05:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: APPROBATION!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:07:10 AM »

'night

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:23 AM »

Well, today's definitely going to be a nail-biter!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:29:48 AM »

And now, I'm off.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 03:42:34 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:56 AM »

I stayed up until nearly 10:00 with MSNBC and the election, realized that this could go on for another day, and wqent to bed.  I am so happy for Warnock and hoping that Ossoff will also beat Perdue.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:50:40 AM »

I had a long weird dream involving college friends, Michael Feinstein, Annabelle, Thatch, and a cast of thousands.  This is only the second dream about the cats that I remember. The other was about a fire and the cats were all injured.

In this dream, of which I only remember bits, I had taken the cats in their carriers on my errands, and on the subway Annabelle somehow got out of her carrier, and much of the dream was a chase after her.  The subway management announced they had her in their offices and I had to make a trek there to get her. I also had to take a package of Gershwin things from the Libnrary of Congress to Michael Feinstein while dealing with two cats.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 03:52:44 AM »

This morning I see my doctor for a physical exam at 10:45.  I got my lab results yesterday.  My blood sugar is out ofd control, so I'm heading for a lecture on that. Luckily my A1C is under 7.0, but just barely under that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 04:03:17 AM »

DR slingshot, I detest the Roundabout's two productions of She Loves Me, but what can you expect from a director with no sense of periood, style, time, or place? He seems tro think it's a TV sitcom, not a 1930s operetta, almost a Noël Coward piece, with class distinctions.  Laura Benanti is so wonderful in nearly everything, but she has a hard time with that high B in "Ice Cream." It's like listening to a second-rate soprano sing "Glitter and Be Gay": will she hit the E-flat?
The laste great Barbara Cook turns that high B on the OBC into a real moment, while Benanti seems happy to hit it and get off. 

During the 1980s, with Grind, Roza, and several other failures, I started wondering if Prince was ever really a good director, but after seeing revivals of Company, Follies, Sweeney Todd, A Little Night Music, and She Loves Me, which weren't so good, I realize he knew a helluva lot more than the lesser directors after him. A friend who saw the London production of A Little Night Music with Judy Dench said to me, "The director put all this cut music back, and it makes you realize what a genius Hal Prince was."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 04:12:18 AM »

BK, my favorite Turandot remains the Sutherland recording on Decca.  I've never heard, but would like to hear, the Leinsdorf recording, which was prompted by the Met's late 1950s revival starring Birgit Nillson and designed by Cecil Beaton, who was not fond of Nillson. I've added the Leinsdorf to my wish list.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.html?ie=UTF8&newItems=C7590b91e-de90-4eb5-acbb-82a8fdd47f0b%2C1

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 04:14:40 AM »

Continued vibes for DRs TCB and vixmom! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 04:17:58 AM »

I too am very worried about violence in DC today. Last night I sent our Senator Schumer an email expressing a wish at Senators Hawley, Cruz, and the others on the Trump Coup Bandwagon, be thrown out of the Senate for violating their oath to the Constitution and pushing sedition.  These fools deserve anything bad coming their way.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 04:21:07 AM »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, DR elmore3003. Always enlightening.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 04:22:15 AM »

I share DR elmore3003's sentiment in holding DR vixmom and DR TCB in our care.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 04:23:45 AM »

News from Georgia is guarded but hopeful.

Having McConnell demoted is a dream come true.

But I do worry about the streets of Washington DC today.

Sanity and light, baby.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 04:29:59 AM »

It is curious why the two Senate runoff elections results are at different percentages.  Wouldn't people that voted have voted for both Democratic or both Republican candidates? Why wouldn't the vote totals for the two races be virtually identical?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 04:33:22 AM »

I'm reticent hopeful. Oh yes, I'm reticent hopeful.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:05 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:31 AM »

Always nice to wake up to some good news.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:16 AM »

I watched the 12 Days of Christmas featurette and loved it. Why should I know the name Wendy Toye?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:29 AM »

Wikipedia tells me I know it from Bless the Bride. On the 12th Day was nominated for the Oscar for best short subject.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 05:18:50 AM »

It is curious why the two Senate runoff elections results are at different percentages.  Wouldn't people that voted have voted for both Democratic or both Republican candidates? Why wouldn't the vote totals for the two races be virtually identical?

I was going to post this same quandary!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 05:25:41 AM »

I watched the 12 Days of Christmas featurette and loved it. Why should I know the name Wendy Toye?

Here's what I know about Wendy Toye:
She played the soubrette ("Who Do You Love, I Hope?") in the original Lodon cast of Annie Get Your Gun with Dolores Gray.
She directed the very successful Sadlers Well Opera productions of Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld, La Vie Parisienne, and La Bell Helene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_q3kbwW84I&t=1s).
She choreographed, maybe directed, Robert and Elizabeth.

That abridged telecast of La Belle Helene is quite wonderful.  I love the 1860s and ancient Greek costume design.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:33:16 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »

A soundtrack album was released on vinyl, and that has never appeared on CD. Interested, BK?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 05:50:44 AM »

I decided to avoid Two by Two, much as I love Karen Ziemba. I have known the person behind the production since the 1980s, but I'm of the opinion that his ego is far greater than his talent. I have memories of a nightmare session with him on one of BK's albums.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 06:12:33 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 06:18:28 AM »

The hopeful update in my morning email from the NY Times was a gift. May it last.

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 06:18:53 AM »

Continued vibes for DRs TCB and vixmom! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BIG TIME.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 06:42:11 AM »

Remember that time when everyone at HHW donned wax lips?

Yeah. Good times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up