Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PROJECT ONE BEGINS  (Read 2891 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PROJECT ONE BEGINS
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:04:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes spoke of project one beginning, and now it is time for you to post until the project one cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: PROJECT ONE BEGINS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:05:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: ARDENT!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:38:30 AM »

Topic of the Day:  there are just so many that I certainly can't remember them all, but some of the more recent broadcasts that I really like are:

Act One
Akhnaten
Ann (written by and starring Holland Taylor)
Company
Indecent
Julius Caesar from the Donmar
The King and I
The Nance
One Man, Two Guvnors
Satyagraha
Shakespeare Live! From the Royal Shakespeare Company
She Loves Me
Sweeney Todd (twice)

And many more!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:31 AM »

And now, to bed.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:41:19 AM »

~~~PROJECT ONE VIBES~~~ for bk and company!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:42:12 AM »

DR elmore3003, which recording of The Bartered Bride do you recommend?
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 03:47:34 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 03:49:44 AM »

I slept solidly for five hours, to wake up to Thatch lying beside me some time after 2:00.  I dreamed I was helping my beloved Judy Kaye who was directing a production of Cole Porter's Jubilee for Encores!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 03:50:39 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Safe Travel Vibes for our DR JohnG!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 03:54:49 AM »

I fell asleep, and then slept for one hour.  Now I am wide awake.  I am afraid to look in the mirror, I think I may have turned into DR Jane!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:06:49 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 03:59:11 AM »

DR elmore3003, which recording of The Bartered Bride do you recommend?

I haven't heard a Bartered Bride that I haven't enjoyed, but I prefer it in Czech, its original language. It seems there are more recordings in German, where it's a big favorite.

The last Czech recording with Benacková is quite wonderful and there's also a nice DVD with the same - or mostly same - cast.  This recording was my gift to BK.  I thought that he would like it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:20:16 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 04:03:12 AM »

There are at least two current recordings in German, an EMI with Pilar Lorengar as its leading lady, but I prefer this one because Teresa Stratas can do no wrong.  There's also a nice DVD with the glorious Lucia Popp that's quite good as well.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 04:03:13 AM »

Thank you!         :-*

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 04:03:59 AM »

I know this opera is a particular favorite of James Levine.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 04:04:18 AM »

Who has now fallen from grace.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 04:15:50 AM »

The opera is very popular in the UK, where it was performed by the Sadlers Wells Opera for years in a translation by Eric Crozier and Joan Cross.  Peter Pears, the partner of Benjamin Britten, had a huge success as the stuttering, mentally challenged Vasek.

I found on YouTube a complete Australian broadcast of the opera starring Elsie Morrison, one of England's most popular sopranos.  She recorded the principal soprano roles in the EMI Gilbert & Sullivan series, which is how I first discovered her, and sang Ann Truelove in the Sadlers Wells Opera performances of The Rake's Progress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqL8JtYPJ0&t=3078s

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 04:29:15 AM »

BK, after seeing the PBS broadcast of Britten's Paul Bunyan from City Opera, a stunning production staged by Mark Lamos, I sent Kirk Browning a very nasty letter.  I was completely enraged for several reasons:
1.  This is not standard repertoire and needs to be seen in its staging;
2.  The broadcast seemed to indicate Mr Browning was bored with the piece - or hated it - and wanted to play games;

So, we had shots from the flies and backstage crew moving scenery instead of the onstage action. I was ready to kill.  It was as though Browning was thinking, these roller-skating dogs and cats are ridiculous.  This ptoduction was one of the highlights of NYC Opera in its last days, and I attended every performance.  Then, given a chance to preserve it, Browning said fuck it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 05:01:43 AM »

Long before PBS there was NBC Television Opera, which not only presented standard repertoire, but new or unfamiliar works like Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites, Prokofiev's War and Peace, Britten's Billy Budd, and Menotti's The Labyrinth.  This series was responsible for the 1951 broadcast, and subsequent performances, of Amahl and the Night Visitors, which I first saw while recuperating from pneumonia around 1955.

Omnibus - was that on CBS? - presented abridged versions of the Met's Die Fledermaus and La Perichole, along with plays - The Apollo of Bellac by Giraudoux, She Stoops to Conquer, Sophocles' , etc. - excerpts from musicals, ballets, Leonard Bernstein conducting Handel's Messiah, etc.

The ones I really looked forward to were Hallmark Hall of Fame broadcasts: Eva le Gallienne's Alice in Wonderland, Julie Harris in Victoria Regina, Roddy McDowell and Lee Remick in The Tempest, Mary Martin in Born Yesterday, Christopher Plummer in Cyrano de Bergerac, the Lunts in Magnificent Yankee, and too many others.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 05:08:56 AM »

I was very lucky growing up in that my parents were told when I was in early grade school that I had a high IQ - I still have no idea what it was - and my interests, even on my father's lower middle class income, were encouraged.  I realize now that I was my family's Great White Hope: the first in two families to get out of blue collar employment and into a better paying white collar job. Only on occasion did I lose out on a TV broadxast I wanted to watch.

By the time I was in college, my mother's mental health had declined to the point where she didn't care of my brothers stayed in school, were on drugs, alive, or dead.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 05:09:18 AM »

And that's more than enough of me this morning.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 05:30:24 AM »

Long before PBS there was NBC Television Opera, which not only presented standard repertoire, but new or unfamiliar works like Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites, Prokofiev's War and Peace, Britten's Billy Budd, and Menotti's The Labyrinth.  This series was responsible for the 1951 broadcast, and subsequent performances, of Amahl and the Night Visitors, which I first saw while recuperating from pneumonia around 1955.

Omnibus - was that on CBS? - presented abridged versions of the Met's Die Fledermaus and La Perichole, along with plays - The Apollo of Bellac by Giraudoux, She Stoops to Conquer, Sophocles' , etc. - excerpts from musicals, ballets, Leonard Bernstein conducting Handel's Messiah, etc.

The ones I really looked forward to were Hallmark Hall of Fame broadcasts: Eva le Gallienne's Alice in Wonderland, Julie Harris in Victoria Regina, Roddy McDowell and Lee Remick in The Tempest, Mary Martin in Born Yesterday, Christopher Plummer in Cyrano de Bergerac, the Lunts in Magnificent Yankee, and too many others.

Oh!  It’s Regina!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 06:14:36 AM »

Nicole Kidman is NOT Lucille Ball.

Debra Messing is not even FRED Ball!

I wouldn't mind a REAL biopic.....but when they start reproducing Ball's classic skits - the shortcomings are front and center.

And Javier Bardem is much too old......but then again so is Kidman.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 06:14:49 AM »

And that's enough of that.....as DR ELMORE would say.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2021, 06:15:35 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

TOD:

42nd Street on Great Performances

I shall be interested to see other lists.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2021, 06:15:56 AM »

No more water dripping vibes for DR singdaw.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 06:16:05 AM »

More pages  vibes for MR BK.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 07:01:49 AM »

I just approved the audio edition of my one-person play, CHRISTOPHER LEE.

The way ACX is these days, it will probably be a month or two before it goes on-line via Amazon.

The actor who plays Lee is Jamie Harris.  He's in London, and is terrific.

Christopher Lee used to be my publicity client, and listening to the audio, it's like listening to my late friend.
You can dream…or you can do.

KevinH

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 07:06:24 AM »

Good morning!

ChasSmith

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »

Good morning, all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 07:43:20 AM »

DR singdaw, I moved into my first NYC apartment in early December 1979.  As soon as I moved in, we had a nightly leak in our bathroom. Around 3:00AM, waster poured from the ceiling light fixture and left the entire bathroom floor wet.  This happened 3-5 times a week. By 7:00 when I woke, the floor was pretty much dry.  We could get neither the super who seemed always drunk or the landlord to do a thing.  Calls to NYC Housing Authority did nothing.  Finally, my roommate, Melanie, who was stepdaughter to the late Irish actor Jack MacGowran (Tom Jones, The Exorcist), called the Board of Health, told them all the frustrating details and finished with "I'm taking a sample of this water and if it's sewage, I will own your ass." The next day in March or April, as I recall, investigators showed up.  The landlord never forgave.  Melanmie moved out to get married, and I moved to the apartment where I now live in July 1980.

One of my employers at The Drama Book Shop told me, you will have bathroom plumbing problems now in every apartment you ever live in, and she was correct.

I send you vibes you do better than I did!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:46:47 AM by elmore3003 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up