Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FASHION PLATE  (Read 30471 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE FASHION PLATE
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2005, 08:15:19 PM »

As of tonight, there were only three episode of ENTERPRISE left, and tonight's show ended with "to be continued. . . " Argh! I had NO idea it was a two part episode. Good show, but I wanted three more stories, not two more!  :(
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2005, 08:17:30 PM »

I was looking forward to having a leisurely Saturday with just reading, watching DVDs/TV (recorded NUMBERS tonight), and studying lines for LA CAGE.

Then it dawned on me I've got to mow the lawn tomorrow! Blah!

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2005, 08:18:13 PM »

Nobody here but us chickens.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2005, 08:24:02 PM »

Neil Diamond was on ABC this morning.

DR MS - to add to what MB and TCB have said - THE LAST VOYAGE is one of those Andrew & Virginia Stone docu-dramas.  

You mean like Song of Norway?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2005, 08:24:44 PM »

Today's transportation job went very easily.  Bonnie is a boxer who was picked up as a stray.  She's a very pretty faun color, with some white.  Somewhere along the line she's been whacked on the head, or something, resulting in a scab about an inch around, but other than that and a lot of sneezing, maybe from allergies, she is in very good health.  

And talk about a lover!  I have never had my beard so thoroughly washed!  She took a few breaks to give der Brucer's ear a cleaning, too.

We were met at the same exchange point as yesterday, a rest-stop in Smyrna, this time by a father and daughter team from Pennsylvania.  They work with a rescue group that specializes in boxers.  We get to meet the nicest people with this hobby of ours.

Meanwhile, the Cape Gazette had a story about the local SPCA pound as their lead in today's issue.  It seems that they're not just pulling out of their state contract to handle rabies and bite cases, a contract that runs out in July.  They're also planning to end their contract to enforce any of the state's dog laws.  According to the article, the executive director of the Delaware SPCA, John Caldwell, has stated "Our board of directors feels our liability is too great and the public perception is that we are slow to respond and quick to euthanize."

Fine, but read further down in the article.  Between July 1st, 2003, and June 30th, 2004, the SPCA euthanized 8,335 dogs and cats.  During that same period, they placed "1,834 dogs, 1,158 cats, and 59 various other animals, from exotic songbirds to free-roaming emus.  In addition, the Delaware SPCA placed 776 animals with rescue groups, bringing the total of placed animals to 3,827."

In other words, they placed less than half the number of animals than the total that they "euthanized."

Maybe that ratio would be more in favor of the living if they would give the rescue groups more advance warning about animals that need to be pulled.  Peggy and her pups were going to be put down the afternoon that we got word about her and hers...just a couple of hours before the event.  That's too little time to mount a rescue sometimes.  

Enough.  End of rant.   >:(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #245 on: May 06, 2005, 08:31:29 PM »

Jane, we also play the creepiest music blaring across the canyon on Halloween, Vaughn Williams' Sinfonia Antarctica.

Unlike Mr. Kimmel, I do not like hearding people in one room.  I like ebb and flow and little conversations within the main party.  Not everyone can participate in one big conversation.

I also don't believe in having enough chairs for everyone to sit down.  Always have less.  That way people keep moving and mingling, everything keeps shifting all the time.  When you get down to 7 0r 8 people left then's the time for things to get cozy.

I think the worst party I was ever at was a woman who had everyone sitting in her living-room in a chair. Just killed the party. I also remember a high school reunion I went to where things didn't get lively until all the dinner tables and chairs we pushed out of the way and it got people up on their feet and moving around.  Keep the flow, baby, keep the flow!  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2005, 08:36:55 PM »

MEANWHILE...

It was a dark and stormy night.  A shot rang out.  I turned to Brad, the bartender, and asked "Do you have to slam that little glass down so hard?"

It's Cabaret Fest 2005 here in Rehoboth Beach, and we had dinner tonight at our fave, Cafe Zeus, where Vessa was singing the standards and flirting outrageously.

I started with the Fried Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli, served with a red pepper and tomato dipping sauce, followed by their deservedly famous Lobster Bisque, and finished with Shrimp in Fresh Herbs, marinated and pan seared, and served with a wasabi cream sauce.  Quite yummers.

Der B was more adventurous with his appetizer, a Duet of Saucisse (sausages): Rabbit and Venison with mustard-ginger sauce, and Wile Boar and Cranberry, with a tart cherry sauce.  Way beyond my own cooking capabilities.  He followed this with a Mixed Field Green Salad, with Roquefort, apples and almonds, and finished with the Saffron Chicken, served with a saffron cream sauce, rice, and roasted red peppers and eggplant.  He was quite happy.

Tomorrow, he may be eating rice again.  Abstractions is hosting a singer he enjoyed last year, and they serve sushi.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2005, 08:42:53 PM »

I'm not really a party person.  I'm uncomfortable with crowds, and prefer to stay on the edges of the action.  Small groups of people, that I can handle.

Michael

« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2005, 09:05:30 PM »

As of tonight, there were only three episode of ENTERPRISE left, and tonight's show ended with "to be continued. . . " Argh! I had NO idea it was a two part episode. Good show, but I wanted three more stories, not two more!  :(

I believe the last two episodes are part two and three of the stories. Never watch the show, but did read something about that,
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2005, 09:19:55 PM »

What I started to write about is did anyone ever see the show or listen to the cast album of Nefertiti a musical that played in Chicago in 1977 and closed there before Broadway. Among the more notable names in the cast was Andrea Marcovicci, Michael Nouri, Robert LuPone, Marilyn Cooper and Jane White. The music was by David Spangler and the late Christopher Gore who wrote the lyrics and the book. Gore would go on to greater fame for writing the screeplay and lyrics to Fame. Gore died of AIDS in 1988

The reason why I am asking is that 28 years later they are reviving and revising the show here in South Florida for an eye to Broadway. Now you may ask how are they redoing the show with Gore. Well Gore's gay brother Rick (that's how the press is presenting it) promised Chris on his death bed that he would reworke the show.

The have been working on the show and there have been productions in Chicago and that theater capital of Key West.

Of interest is that Avery Sommers who appears in the Ann-Margret  Best Little Whorehouse in Texas recording that BK produced is in this production of Nefertiti and she had a long run here with Menopause.

I've heard the show from a recording released by Bruce Yeko, Not very good. Very few musicals have ever been revived successful that bombed out of town. The best being Grand Hotel, but you had a Tommy Tune directing and Peter Stone and Maury Yeston helping out. But none of these men are on board.

Now I hope that I get a chance to see and prove myself wrong. And if I do I will report back.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2005, 09:24:09 PM »

Now one of the articles had a bad editing error that I would like to share.

Now (Rick) Gore is ready to wow hometown crowds in Fort Lauderdale with the production.
 But his ultimate goal is to take his brother's dream to Broadway.

Chris Gore now lives in Fort Lauderdale. He moved back three years ago after taking early retirement....

I guess death can be called an early retirement.

They obviously meant Rick Gore.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2005, 09:53:16 PM »

The Cd of Nefertiti is available Michael.  - The Jedlicka Performing Arts Center Production (Chicago)
(Yes! Even here in OZ I have the CD).

There is a Website too  Nefertitithemusical.com

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

Are Rick and Chris related to Mike and Lesley?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2005, 09:56:01 PM »

DR FRANCOIS - I wish it had been MY childhood memories, but they are shared from Jack Salvatore who now broadcasts in LA over radio station KNX.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2005, 09:57:09 PM »

I did NOT like Andrea in THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS and I hated the logo of the show with her in one of those Egyptian hats - and didn't like a couple of the songs I heard, so this is NOT particularly good news to me.

Yes DRJMK - just like SONG OF NORWAY.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2005, 10:20:53 PM »

Time to go snore...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2005, 10:28:05 PM »

DRJANE - Tammy's last credit is an episode of MY THREE SONS in 1969, and there isn't anything much else on the net about her.  I guess she dropped out of the business - but it's sort of a mystery.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2005, 10:54:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Good show.  Great audience.

I headed out afterwards to get a beer with my friend, Peter, who came to see the show tonight.  We went to one of the local brewpubs, Legend Brewing Co.  I tried out their new "Dunkelweisen" - an unfiltered wheat beer.  Very good, but as I eventually found out, a bit "sneaky" in regards to  the alcohol content.  I'm a "cheap date" as it is, but...

So, as Peter and I were heading out, my friend, Rob, called me on my cell, and wondered if I was still out tonight.  I told him that I had just left Legend, but could probably head somewhere to get some food.  So, we planned to meet at 3rd Street Diner.

3rd Street is a true diner, and a Richmond Institution.  Open 24 hours, breakfast at any hour, and some interesting special every now and then.  I ordered a grilled cheddar on rye with bacon, and some "wet fries" (with gravy).  Rob got their "American Bagel Platter" (no lox), and some fries with tzatziki sauce.  All of it was very good.  Oh, and I got a freshly-squeezed limeade too.  And for dessert, I ordered the "Grilled D(onut) Sundae".  Perfection!!!  The day-old Krispy Kreme was griddle just enough to make the glaze and crust crunchy.  Then that was topped off with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and some chocolate sauce.  -Heck, I figured that since this was my last weekend in Richmond, I might as well order my favorites.  *Now we'll just have to see how I sleep tonight, and "how" I wake up in the morning.  -Ah, well... but well worth it.  -And the food helped to ease some of the effects of the beer I had earlier.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2005, 10:59:49 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - I have the original LP for Nefertiti.  I remember when it first came out, there was a sort of cult following for the show.  I, too, however, just don't get Andrea Marcovicci.  My friend, Mark, would play the LP regularly.  We both thought it was like "Evita on the Nile".  -And song-structure wise, the parallels were uncannny.  *As was the song structure for Matador (another truly guilty semi-pleasure) - the waltz song... Evita in the Bull Ring.

I remember when the recent Chicago staging was trying to go commercial - or at least it's publicists were trying to make it go commercially.  -It was being done by a local non-Equity group in Chicago.  There were even talks at the time to bring it into New York.  But like many projects around the same time, things just sort of fizzled out and evaporated.  But as DR Tomovoz mentioned, they did release a new recording/CD of the the show, that production.  -I don't think I need to get that one.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2005, 11:02:25 PM »

OK - I'm ready to crash.

I hope BK had a splendid time in the Dena of Pasa.  I await his post-show report.  And I bet there were a few comments about his new duds.  "Hey!  That can't be Bruce Kimmel - he's wearing a shirt with buttons down the front!"  ;)

-And I hope the play was good too.

Until the morning...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2005, 11:34:57 PM »

Just home from a VERY long evening of theater.  Must write the notes now, which will probably go up a little late, which is probably fine since there's only one person here anyway.

And I have a lovely photograph of me being a fashion plate.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up