Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS  (Read 29044 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A DAY FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »

I've spoken today with my mother.  She has had a very busy week, and she attended a wedding in upstate South Carolina yesterday.  She's in good spirits and enjoyed my Mother's Day gifts (one was a white rosebud corsage to wear to church. It used to be a Mother's Day tradition in the South  for folks to wear white rosebuds if their mother's were deceased and red rosebuds if their mother's were living.  I sent one to my Mother and maternal Aunt).

On DVD this weekend, I've watched "Please Don't Eat the Daisies," "Billy Rose's 'Jumbo'", and "Phantom of the Opera."

POTO was sumptuous -- a feast for the senses.  Such splendid art direction, set decoration, costume design and overall production design is a rare treat.  The movie delighted me from start to finish.  A rare treat not hampered by preconceptions or comparisons to a theatrical presentation.  There are quibbles, to be sure -- some of the vocals should have gotten a bit of dubbing help, and one might have wished for a stronger soprano voice -- but no quibble matters so much that one should dismiss the film as a whole.  There are far too many films lauded by musical lovers that have many more failings than does POTO.  Overall, the performances are marvelous.  Gerard Butler is a moving Phantom, all things considered.  He's certainly a "romantic" figure, which is what the movie needed.  If the Phantom is to cast a spell on Christine, you need, on film, a romantic image.  Crawford never would have been such an image, and none of the other cinema phantoms I've seen (including Raines) was anything other than menacing...never the romantic spell-weaver of Lloyd Webber's tale.

I highly recommend it to all and sundry...especially those who have declared they'll never watch it.   :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:57:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2005, 12:11:18 PM »

Where is everybody?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2005, 12:13:06 PM »

My similar views on POTO were posted yesterday, DRRLP.

I am watching THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA - which I gather is a musical now in NYC with a score by one of those wonderful young saviors of the theatre who write better than anyone has ever written before, but I am not much interested in it.

I love the scenery in the movie, but Yvette Mimieux and George Hamilton are such very BAD actors, that it is difficult to watch.

Danise

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2005, 12:26:30 PM »

Hi all and Happy Mothers day to those who are one!

I went to bed super early last night--before eight and got up about nine thirty this morning.  It must have worked because all of the problems I was having yesterday went away.  No more head ache and my BP is back down to normal.  Whew.  I had myself a little worried there for a bit.  

I bought my Mom one of those little portable DVD players for Mom's day.  I was going to get her a TV/DVD but they are so heavy and now that she's bed ridden  a lot of the time, I wanted something she could put on the bed with her.  Besides, the TV would be a waste.  There really isn't anything on TV she likes to watch and I have all of these John Wayne/Errol Flynn movies she loves.  

I bought the Errol Flynn collection to go with the player and we are both enjoying that.  I confess, I got it for me as much as her.   ;)

I had to laugh because when I asked the kid if they had the collection (I was at Best Buy--BTW), he had NO clue as to WHO Errol Flynn was.  Awww, youth!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »

LOL DRDANISE....sounds like the experience DRMBARNUM had when looking for the MUSHROOM PEOPLE!

Danise

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2005, 12:35:52 PM »

POTO was sumptuous -- a feast for the senses.  Such splendid art direction, set decoration, costume design and overall production design is a rare treat.  The movie delighted me from start to finish.  A rare treat not hampered by preconceptions or comparisons to a theatrical presentation.  There are quibbles, to be sure -- some of the vocals should have gotten a bit of dubbing help, and one might have wished for a stronger soprano voice -- but no quibble matters so much that one should dismiss the film as a whole.  There are far too many films lauded by musical lovers that have many more failings than does POTO.  Overall, the performances are marvelous.  Gerard Butler is a moving Phantom, all things considered.  He's certainly a "romantic" figure, which is what the movie needed.  If the Phantom is to cast a spell on Christine, you need, on film, a romantic image.  Crawford never would have been such an image, and none of the other cinema phantoms I've seen (including Raines) was anything other than menacing...never the romantic spell-weaver of Lloyd Webber's tale.

I highly recommend it to all and sundry...especially those who have declared they'll never watch it.   :)

For I second there I thought you were serious and then I realized your joking.   Thank goodness.

I could have forgiven almost everything but that voice........     Fingernails on a chalkboard would have sounded better.  Shudder.     Never, ever, ever will I watch that trashed version of POTO again if I can help it.  My biggest fear was that someone would get that  junk for my Birthday.  I never return gifts no matter how much I dislike them but that would have went straight back to the store, toot sweet.   :D

If ALW wanted to ruin the movie and he did  a GREAT job.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2005, 12:40:32 PM »

Jennifer, thank you.  I just love flowers.  I buy 4 or 5 at a time and put them in little vases on the kitchen counter.  

Bogie ate much better today.  Last night he was so happy to feel better he kept crying for attention and had the volume button on his purr set to loud.  We didn’t get much sleep but it was wonderful. :)

TCB I’m so happy your Angel recovered.

François, cute puppy, cat, etc pics.

Elmore & Rodzinsky I enjoyed your reviews of "A Little Bit of what you Fancy" and reading about the evening.

Joey your new link works now.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2005, 12:41:24 PM »

And we're off to the races!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »

DRJANE...lovely Bogie news.  I always loved hearing my cat purr....it's a great sound!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2005, 12:42:47 PM »

Thanks to DRELMORE for the review of Anthony's show - it sounds like a LOT of fun for the audience AND the performers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2005, 12:43:33 PM »

Okay...off the the Playhouse.  Who knows when I will return.  Hopefully I will not usurp any of the duties of any other board member....even if said board member does NOT do his/her duties and they must get done.....

Jane

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »

Craig just called, twice.  The first time we couldn’t hear him, the second time he sounded as if he had marbles in his mouth.  Calls to and from Romania can be extremely frustrating.  He had to make the call short as he only had a few minutes left on his calling card to call his grandmother.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2005, 12:44:51 PM »

Things I love include:

Board members who have known the dates of the shows SINCE February, and PLANNING to be gone on trips or vacations for the runs of at least two of them....not vacations or trips that HAVE to be taken at that time for any particular reason, but planned to avoid work.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2005, 12:54:37 PM »

Jose, thanks.

SWW interesting restaurant.  I would like to see it.  

Danise I’m happy you are feeling better today.

Jrand, nothing is sweeter than the sound of a cat purring.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2005, 12:59:01 PM »

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2005, 01:00:14 PM »

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers at HHW.

Danise

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2005, 01:05:22 PM »

Thanks Jane.   I'm also glad that Bogie is doing better.  There's nothing like a cat purr.  Well, I guess Bear would have a thing or two to say about that!  ;)

I just changed the valve stem out in the bath tub.  The old one was leaking. It took a little while for the water to drain from the pipes but once that happened it only took a moment to change out.  All fixed now.   :)  

It took me awhile to find a replacement stem.  There were none locally.  Thank goodness for the internet and the fact that I saved the receipt from when we first moved into this house.  It listed the model number of the stem.  

Hard to believe we've been in this house twenty five years.  

I can hear "Captain Blood" music coming from the direction of my Mom's room.   ;D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2005, 01:06:14 PM »

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

My sister lost the favorite picture of my parents, their wedding photo.  In my favorite photo of my mother her hair is down and a bit windblown.  Here is one of her holding my brother when he was a baby.  

Jane

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »

Danise you are amazing.

Gotta run-will return later.

Danise

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2005, 01:10:37 PM »

Let's see if I remember the line right but I don't remember the movie,

"Non, I am In credit able!"  ;) :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 01:11:03 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2005, 01:11:25 PM »

DR Danise, I don't believe that DR Ron was joking about his review. I think he really enjoyed the movie.

The smilie was in reference to those of us who said we'd never BUY the movie. I will definitely SEE it; I like to speak or write about musicals with an informed opinion, and the twenty minutes of it I've seen were not sufficient to base an entire opinion on it. So, friends who did buy it will loan it to me so I can view the entire thing and then decide what I think.

But I don't think the smilie he placed at the end of the post was meant to imply that the whole thing was a josh.

Or am I off base? If so, I apologize.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2005, 01:12:56 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from the show... Good show, and Steve's sister and niece were guests of mine.  Happy Mother's Day!

Now back at Steve's taking care of stuff before the evening show...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »

I seem to recall it was a comedy movie about twin brothers, one was named Amazing and the other was Incredible.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2005, 01:14:05 PM »

I realized this afternoon that I still had not gotten around to watching last Sunday's DEADWOOD, so I had to watch that since a new one is coming on tonight! Oh, Bullock's stepson injured (maybe fatally?) in that accident! How terrible since that little boy was so sweet.

Danise

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2005, 01:16:09 PM »

So, of course when people would get them mixed up, they would say..."Your Amazing?" and of course, he would say, "Non, I am Incredible!"
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

Then, I watched three ANGEL episodes back-to-back. This series was a masterpiece of black comedy. It had me laughing and then the next second jumping out of my chair in fright. How I miss it!

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

I still have Friday night's NUMBERS to watch before the raft of HDTV shows come on tonight.

So, I didn't get to any movies today. Amazing how quickly the time flies by. (I did get two loads of laundry done while I was watching television and cooking dinner.)

Danise

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2005, 01:18:03 PM »

DR Danise, I don't believe that DR Ron was joking about his review. I think he really enjoyed the movie.

The smilie was in reference to those of us who said we'd never BUY the movie. I will definitely SEE it; I like to speak or write about musicals with an informed opinion, and the twenty minutes of it I've seen were not sufficient to base an entire opinion on it. So, friends who did buy it will loan it to me so I can view the entire thing and then decide what I think.

But I don't think the smilie he placed at the end of the post was meant to imply that the whole thing was a josh.

Or am I off base? If so, I apologize.

If I'm wrong then I'm sorry but I took the whole review as very much tongue in cheek--hence the smile.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2005, 01:25:01 PM »

DR Jane, I am very happy to hear that Bogie is doing better!!

Danise

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2005, 01:39:45 PM »

DR Jane, I like the picture of you Mom.  

Gotta scoot, I bought a special dinner--T-bones and have to go broil them now.  The baked potato is done.  Just need to heat up the corn.

Be back later.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up