Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS  (Read 29046 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A DAY FOR ALL YOU MOTHERS
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2005, 01:40:52 PM »

Ron's sense of humor is so dry sometimes that the Sahara takes refresher lessons from him.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2005, 01:42:04 PM »

I'm not sure it's possible to dance on sand.  I could be wrong.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I've been writing away, and am now through for the day, although I may begin entering some book corrections from the first of my proofers.  They caught some interesting things.

And now - Dino at the piano.

I wonder if Pogue will enlighten us about the rest of the partay?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2005, 01:45:49 PM »

Well, at least we're on page three.

Happy birthday to Paulie, whoever he might be?  I have some vague recollection of someone named Paulie who posted a few times.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2005, 01:46:42 PM »

Der Brucer is watching a batch of horror movies this afternoon.

First came The Hand That Rocks the Cradle.  Another of slew of "be careful who you hire" movies.  How come no one makes "be careful of the bastard who hires you" flicks?  The one who signs the paycheck is always more dangerous in the real world.

Right now, it's something called Seventh Sign.  I refuse to take a horror movie seriously when part of the score sounds like someone singing in the shower.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2005, 01:49:44 PM »

Yes, it is a slow news day here at HHW.  

Michael

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2005, 02:30:29 PM »

And the word of the day is: USURP!

My Mother once said to me. If U SURP your soup one more time I will tak it away from you!
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2005, 02:45:36 PM »

Der Brucer is watching a batch of horror movies this afternoon.

First came The Hand That Rocks the Cradle.  Another of slew of "be careful who you hire" movies.  How come no one makes "be careful of the bastard who hires you" flicks?  The one who signs the paycheck is always more dangerous in the real world.

Ah yes, THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE.  That's the Michael Jackson bio-pic.  Sorry.

Seriously, that movie was filmed just a couple of miles from here in little-old Tacoma.  Actually, it was one of the better films that they have made here.  We have had some real clunkers filmed here in town.  THE ALL-AMERICAN GIRL (SWEET REVENGE) with Stockard Channing, THREE FUGITIVES with Nick Nolte and Martin Short, and that all-star disaster film I LOVE YOU TO DEATH with Kevin Kline, River Phoenix, William Hurt, Keanu Reeves, Joan Plowright and Tracy Ullman.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 02:52:20 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2005, 02:45:50 PM »

Pogue is moving very slow and is waiting for the promised photos of the Derby partay.  Shortly after the race, the party settled down to a manageably do.  I drifted to several small groups and had lots of fun witty conversations.  As always, several folks showed up later in the day and brought fresh blood to the waning hours of the partay.  One such was John Connolly, the President of AFTRA, who The Lovely Wife and I had recently met at a French film festival and hit off with.  He, my friends Larry and Pat and I (all AFTRA members) all got into an interesting conversation on wither the state and future of the acting unions.  I also had lovely conversations with pals LA Times theatre reviewer Kathleen Foley (who I've known since college theatre days) and her witty husband Mark, and Ms. June Wilkinson and her clever and charmin beau, Peter. Among many other lovely folk who were here.  The last group slogged out around ten last night.  Julieanne and I felt it was one of our better Derby efforts.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2005, 03:04:23 PM »

I am sad to say that my all region DVD player is not turning out to be all I had hoped it would be!  :(

For some reasone some of my DVDs freeze while playing in it. The only way I could un-freeze the dvd or even get it out of the machine was to unplug the machine.

And when I popped in the movie MY BROTHER NIKHIL it played just fine except that there was no dialogue. I could hear the background music just fine, but otherwise there was no sound...it was like watching a silent movie with just the music. I tried it on another machine and it played just fine and dandy...I tried adjusting various different things with the remote, but no luck. Maybe there is a way of fixing it, but I don't know how...and this was not a cheap maching!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 03:05:25 PM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2005, 03:10:13 PM »

DR Danise (and anyone else who likes flowers).  If you want to make them last longer I have a trick for you.  Stick the entire vase in the fridge overnight.  If you have an extra fridge (in the basement or garage) this makes it a lot easier.

But if you do this, your flowers can last for a whole month!

Makes me wonder how long the flowershops have their flowers (since they are in the refrigerators all the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2005, 03:19:20 PM »

Just back from picking up something to eat here in the home environment.  Also picked up two spiffy upcoming DVDs, Walter Hill's The Driver (which I had as a region 2, but it didn't look too good), and Ronald Neame's The Man Who Never Was, which I've heard is quite good.

I finally got two of the three photos to send, so I'll post those soon.  Sadly, the lovely photo of Pogue himself has not sent.  I called Cingular but they are closed today.  I've never had a problem sending photos before, so it's all very peculiar.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2005, 03:21:36 PM »

I am sad to say that my all region DVD player is not turning out to be all I had hoped it would be!  :(

For some reasone some of my DVDs freeze while playing in it. The only way I could un-freeze the dvd or even get it out of the machine was to unplug the machine.

And when I popped in the movie MY BROTHER NIKHIL it played just fine except that there was no dialogue. I could hear the background music just fine, but otherwise there was no sound...it was like watching a silent movie with just the music. I tried it on another machine and it played just fine and dandy...I tried adjusting various different things with the remote, but no luck. Maybe there is a way of fixing it, but I don't know how...and this was not a cheap maching!!

That's horrible!  Did you try changing the audio settings?  I have some DVDs that default to the 5.1 channels (which I don't have) and I get no sound at all.

Oops (that's "spoo" spelled backwards), I didn't thoroughly read your post.  You did try different things. :-\
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 03:23:02 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »

Ok, panic averted...I messed around with the controls a bit more and changed the analog (?) from multi-channel (whatever that is) to 2 channel dolby sound (whatever that is) and now the dialogue can be heard...it is in Hindi, but by gosh I can hear it!

Why this hadn't affected any other DVDs I don't know....still a bit worried about the DVD freezing, but I guess that is a minor problem.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2005, 03:26:32 PM »

LOL DR George...there were so many controls and settings and what not, I just hadn't found the right one yet...and who knew "analog" meant it was for the sound???

Technology...I love it, but I don't always understand it!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2005, 03:44:12 PM »

For Mother's Day this year, my mother has left town. She and my dad are going to visit his mother in Indiana. I'm sure she'll have a full Jello report when she gets home.

I'll answer the question of the day for my mom. Her favorite picture of her mother is what we call the "Harem Pajamas" picture. We had to go searching for the negatives of it because Grandma apparently destroyed every copy of the picture. I have no idea why.

I'm taking a short break from this IAAAAWWOTD paper. One page down, eleven to go. It's been slow going because I've also been cramming for my History final I have tomorrow. Do you have any idea how much time it takes to memorize every single thing that happened in England between the years 1600 and 1713?

Yay for Jane and Bogie! It's scary when they don't eat. It's been a while since any of my cats have had that problem. (They're fat pigs!)

Do you hear that? It's my IAAAAWWOTD paper calling me. I'll sign on again when I come out of my coma.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 03:45:22 PM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2005, 03:45:09 PM »

A quick hello. We are off to a concert by Australian Soprano Suzanne Johnston today. Not usually my idea of a good day but I know the guy at the piano. In turn, as happens in this small world, he knows MusicGuy and one of his buddies over here. The three of them are Theatre Organ playing people. If DR Kerry is reading - I think you probably know Tony and Nola in the Yarra Valley.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2005, 03:49:43 PM »

IN RE:  EXTREME MAKEOVER:

According to all the listings, tonight's show is about a Kansas City fireman, not Long Island.  I am setting my VCR anyway, but we may have to wait for the one with Kenny, who delivers our fuel oil.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2005, 04:00:09 PM »

....still a bit worried about the DVD freezing, but I guess that is a minor problem.
Maybe if you put the vase in the refrigerator...no, wait, that's what Jennifer was saying about flowers, not DVDs, quite a different subject...sorry.

::)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2005, 04:00:13 PM »

I'm off to my parents' house (after I take a shower :)).  My sister and I got our mom a hanging plant from the local farmer's market.  Now that my mom's retired, she really has time for gardening.  We'll all eat and then probably play Phase 10.  Have a good day, everyone! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2005, 04:03:32 PM »

Tomovoz, thanks again for the CDs of Cameo-Parkway hits, which I have been listening to today. "Crossfire" was the one Orlons hit that had eluded me. I also enjoyed the Senator Bobby tunes. And songs about forgotten dances are always a joy. There is that song about a dance called "The 81" that is a lot of fun.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2005, 04:04:12 PM »

I USURP on my pancakes, if that hasn't already been said.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »

My goodness it would be nice to have some ACTION around here.  I'm afraid something has USURPED our hainsies/kimlets today.

MBarnum, please tell me the make and model of your machine.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2005, 04:06:58 PM »

The only movie I watched this weekend was O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE on Fox. Pretty entertaining with some hammy performances by Richard Widmark and Charles Laughton. "The Gift of the Magi" was a little weak.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »

Some photographs:  

First, the lovely Julieanne standing next to her ham (the food, not Pogue)  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2005, 04:12:45 PM »

Next we have more of the spread.  Perhaps you can see the dish with the Sweet Gherkins - I rather became addicted to them, and bought a jar today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2005, 04:15:19 PM »

Finally:  When I arrived at Hamilton High School last night, I was greeted by the sight of a girl wearing ugly pants that were so low her butt crack was there for all to see.  I decided to prove to you once and for all that I am not making these things up.  Unfortunately, in this photograph, whilst her butt crack is still perfectly visible, her shirt, which just a moment before, had been up about two inches, had been pulled down slightly, but not enough to hide the evidence.  I present said evidence to you, the butt crack jury, now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2005, 04:30:14 PM »

For I second there I thought you were serious and then I realized your joking.   Thank goodness.

I could have forgiven almost everything but that voice........     Fingernails on a chalkboard would have sounded better.  Shudder.     Never, ever, ever will I watch that trashed version of POTO again if I can help it.  My biggest fear was that someone would get that  junk for my Birthday.  I never return gifts no matter how much I dislike them but that would have went straight back to the store, toot sweet.   :D

If ALW wanted to ruin the movie and he did  a GREAT job.  

You misunderstood.  

I am quite serious about my enjoyment of the film.  I never make joke reactions to film or theater.  

The smiley was the ending of a review for a film I liked.  Nothing more sinister than that.  If I were having fun, I'd have used a winking smiley.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 04:52:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2005, 05:15:26 PM »

One post in one hour.  Dear me, we're on our way to a new all-time low, and if we achieve it, well, I just don't know how I shall react, oh, no, I just don't know how I shall react.

Just watched last week's Alias.  I must have missed the nifty twists alluded to here on this discussion board.  And the trailer for next week's show announced proudly that we were going to be blessed with the directorial debut of Jennifer Garner.  It's the end of the world.  I know they build these things into the contracts of star players, but really Jen, let the directors do their jobs and stop the madness.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2005, 05:25:02 PM »

M Barnum, the picture of your Mother was lovely.  However, it took me a while to see her, since your Father is a FOX!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up