Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT  (Read 13837 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2005, 07:41:11 AM »

Taped Hercules last night and hope to watch it tonight.

It is a film I EXPECTORATE highly.

Oops, that was yesterday's word.

Never mind.

FIG-THROWER, baby, FIG-THROWER!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 07:44:16 AM »

PAGE TWO!

--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 07:53:46 AM »

Just saw ABC's fall schedule, and many, many returning shows have been moved around.

BOSTON LEGAL moves to Tuesday at 10.

LOST moves back an hour to Wednesdays at 9.

ALIAS moves to Thursdays at 8 (and will start the season rather than waiting until January as it did this year).

Not happy about any of these changes.  I liked the LOST/ALIAS COMBO.  And Thursdays at 8pm is a terrible timeslot to go against SURVIVOR. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 07:55:15 AM »

Great news about Tom.  Hopefully he is feeling okay.

And hopefully DR Elmore is doing well too!

So how did Raymond end?  The only thing I saw was Doris Roberts jumping into bed with Ray (right as he was in bed with his wife).  Ewwww!!!!! ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 08:00:01 AM »

Good Morning!

I guess I must have needed my sleep... I don't even remember getting ready for bed last night.  In fact, I woke up with my clothes on - jeans and t-shirt - and my side-table lamp on.  ???

In any case...

I think I got a good night's sleep.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 08:01:02 AM »

DR MattH, are there links to any of the fall line-ups? If so can you post them?  The only I've seen is NBC:

http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8148

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 08:01:20 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~
SPEEDY RECOVERY VIBES TO DR TOMOVOZ
~~~~~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 08:02:30 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~
GOOD HEALTH AND RECOVERY VIBES TO DR elmore
~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 08:03:20 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2005, 08:20:16 AM »

jane , thank you for the lovely picture.  I think I need to move to Oregon, what beautiful scenery!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2005, 08:23:09 AM »

Still sending the vibes to TOMovOZ for a quick recovery.

AND to DRELMORE for his surgery today!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm....well of course, I would like to write a FULL biography of Miss Allison Hayes - to fill out the Internet biography that I wrote about her.  I see facts about her that have come from that bio in other articles on the internet all the time, so it is being read....so there is some interest.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2005, 08:26:06 AM »

Your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2005, 08:29:53 AM »

Curiosity Killed the Cat was one of my favorite bands from the 80s.  Their first CD, which contained their biggest hit "Misfit," is a minor classic.  Their follow-up largely fizzled, and then they disappeared.  Ah, the vagaries of pop music stardom.

Well this should be no surprise, but I of course would love to write a factual, non-sensationalized bio of Frances Farmer.  In fact, as some here know, several people have asked me to do just that, including one Emmy winning writer and another very well known mystery writer who even pitched the idea to his literary agent.  She passed on the idea, saying no major publishing house would be interested in the idea.  In the meantime, one of my former film professors, who is now a big mucky-muck at UCLA, gave me a bunch of institutional (as in educational, not the other kind, though that would be quite apropos considering the subject matter, LOL) publishing houses to contact, but I haven't had the time.  I know there is significant interest in Frances to this day, because my web article gets hundreds of hits monthly and I receive scores of emails from people all over the world on a daily basis about her.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »

What was today's topic?  Oh...

I'd actually love to write about a lot of the chorus gypsies that have treaded the boards over the years.  It would be a sort of compilation deal.

I would also like to look into the lives of those people you see listed during the credits at the end of a TV show.  The set designers, the set dressers, costumers, lighting people, grips, best boys, etc.   The so-called "little people".

I still remember a radio contest that WRNL in New London, CT, held when I was around nine years old.  They would have some sort of trivia contest each morning with a prize of a couple of records/LPs or some tickets to some upcoming concert.  Well, this particular morning, it was an entertainment question, and they announced that the prize for this particular contest would be extra special since they thought the question/answer was particularly tricky.  The question:

"Who is Norman Rockett?"

-If you happen to know the answer, keep reading anyway... ;)

So during the breaks between songs, they would take calls to see if anyone had the right answer.  No one had the right answer during the first break.  Nor the second.  Nor the third... the fourth... the fifth... etc.  The DJ eventually started giving clues.  "Yes.  He works in TV."  "Yes.  He's been working for a couple of years."  Etc., etc., etc.

Well, since it was a school day...  By the time I had to leave for school, they still did not have a correct answer.  And by that time they had upped the prize to something like 50 records AND $200 cash.  Even while listening to the radio on the ride to school, they still did not get a correct answer.  In fact, they carried the contest over to the next DJ.  And, apparently, the next one after that.  They had not yet had a correct answer by the time I was coming home from school!

"You can see his work every day here in New London."
"He's part of a major television show."

And, then, this was supposedly the giveaway clue:

"His name is in yellow."

???

By this time of day, the prize was up to something like $500 cash, 100 records, free pizza at Spiro's, etc...

"Who is Norman Rockett?"

The answer:  The Set Decorator for the TV series "M*A*S*H"

I don't remember if anyone eventually won the contest/prize that day, but I guess that was the event that got me to start staying through the credits at the end of a TV show or movie, reading all the credits in a Playbill, etc.  -You could just never know when it may come in handy.  ;)

*Of course, I just checked the IMDB and some other sources for Norman Rockett...  He does come up as an Set Decorator and Art Director... Just not for "M*A*S*H".  ???  

However, I do remember seeing his name many times "in yellow."  :)

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »

Note to DR SWW (et al) - Remember how I said Donna Migliaccio would not be in the upcoming production of Pacific Overtures down here at Signature Theatre... -They start previews tonight...  Well...

After a picture posted in the Washington Post, it appears I did assume...  In fact, after checking with a few more sources it appears that they are using a totally "Western" cast.  Hmm...  And according to the Post, they've also invented their own version of Kabuki make-up and "style".  Hmm...

However, it does mention that Eric Schaeffer has designed the sets for this production - as well as directing it -  which I think is kind of cool.  I still remember some of his designs from his community theatre days.  His A Little Night Music for The Arlington Players still lives vividly in my mind.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2005, 08:42:20 AM »

My pet biography project would be on Roger Edens, the real genius behind "The Freed Unit" at MGM and one of the all-time great musical wunderkinds in Hollywood's history.

Edens molded Judy Garland's musical "style" and arranged almost all of her material both at MGM and for all her concert appearances.

Too little is known about him and his talent, and far too little credit has been given him regarding his role behind some of MGM's greatest musical achievements.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »

Oh...  Since sound check is at 3:00 at the National, that means I have to be on the Metro by 2:00 which means I have to be ready to leave by 1:30 which means...

*I'd drive in today, but parking downtown during the day is next to impossible on the street, and the garages in that part of town are exorbitantly priced.  So..

I'll be staying downtown between the sound check and the show, but I'll be bringing my laptop with me.  I'll either camp out in the theatre and use the stage managements Airport setup and/or I'll camp out in Starbucks for a while.

And then tomorrow morning we're having a band rehearsal at 10:00AM...ugh... which means I have to be on the subway by 9:00AM... ugh-ugh... Which means I have to be up by 8:00AM... UGH-UGH-UGH!  And since I probably won't get back tonight until around 11:30...  Ah, well.. That's showbiz!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2005, 08:48:39 AM »

TOD:

My grandfather, he never did sanything "great" or "newsworthy"  but I know far too little about the details of his life.  What I do know though  I find fascinating

He grew up in Hungary, was in the Hungarian Army stationed in Italy in WWI, when they lost he deserted and walked back to Hungary where the powers that be were looking for him (desertion y'know) so he wandered over to Czechoslavakia and worked as a maitre'd (and black marketeer and bootlegger) until things got too hot and he ran for the US, bribing his way through checkpoints etc  

Over the years (besides his "career" in Europe)  he was a professional boxer, a chef, a chauffer (for some of the richest families on the Long Island Gold Coast in the late 1920's) , a live in gardener on Glen Cove estate, a foreman at a steel plant, and an all around handy man at various estates on the north shore of Long Island.

He met my grandmother at a dance in NYC, who refused to give him her address. Not having the bus fare, he  ran behind her bus until she got off and he found where she was living as a live- in  maid.  She had one day off every two weeks.   He met her on her next two days off and on their fourth meeting they married .

He was able to speak six languages, self taught, as he only had the equivalent of a 6th grade education in a one room schoolhouse.

He could take anything mechanical apart and put it back together working perfectly, he was a wonderul gardener and chef.  He was a carpenter, a pianter, a wallpaperer, you name he could do.  If you had asked him to build the space shuttle he would have had a go with complete confindence, and I bet he would have done it too!

He died in 1986 and hundreds of people came to his funeral, people the family had never met,  Apparently "everyone" knew and loved  "Joe".   I still
miss him terribly.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2005, 09:03:51 AM »

Vixmom Leelee Sobieski is not related to Helen, however, her bio mentions she bares”an uncanny resemblance to Helen”.  Leelee, Helen and Jodie Foster should do a movie together.

Your grandfather’s story would make a wonderful and interesting book.  You should write it.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2005, 09:04:39 AM »

Ozderek thank you for the news regarding Tomovoz.  Have a nice visit with him.

Hi td.  I was just thinking about you yesterday and here you are today. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2005, 09:04:46 AM »

Well, if I was given a bunch o' dough to write the biography of anyone, first I would have to hire a first rate author because there's no way that I[/b] could write it.  Too many words! ;) Besides, I can agonize of the slightest of choices and never be able to make a decision.

Otherwise, I don't know who I'd write about.  The famous people that I'd want to know about already have auto/biographies written about them.  If anther came along, it couldn't add much more to what's already known.

How about a fabulously written (but not by me) biography of the songwriting duo, Meltz and Ernest.  That way, their story could be told, it could generate interest (and money) and BK could make the movie about them that he's always wanted to! ;D

(Am I remembering that correctly?  You were hoping to make a movie of their partnership, weren't you BK?)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:07:12 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2005, 09:09:42 AM »

Vixmom Leelee Sobieski is not related to Helen, however, her bio mentions she bares”an uncanny resemblance to Helen”.  Leelee, Helen and Jodie Foster should do a movie together.

I always thought that Jodie Foster and Holly Hunter could play sisters...and maybe Julianne Moore.  And speaking of Moore:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ Best Health Vibes to Elmore (a.k.a. Larry Moore)!! ~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ Best Health Vibes also to Tomovoz!! ~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2005, 09:10:09 AM »

OK... Time for me to get ready to head in...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »

"Who is Norman Rockett?"

Whenever I watch Star Trek: The Next Generation or Voyager, my eye is caught by the name of Al Smutko, head of construction.

Just a quick Google, and I find:  

The operating system of Starfleet computers (LCARS was first introduced in [TNG]). LCARS control panels, interfaces and monitors (including wall-mounted) can be seen throughout USS Voyager and in Starfleet facilities. (LCARS stands for Library Computer Access and Retrieval System.) The furniture which LCARS sits in is built, usually from wood, by Al Smutko (head of construction) and his staff (Al Smutko is the only head of construction who can boast his own fan club).

Well, the link http://www.mcs.net/~frnklyn/smutko/fanclub.htm doesn't work, but I find on a related site that the page is temporarily down for reconstruction.

I think I would like to write a biography of Al Smutko, thank you very much.
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2005, 09:20:30 AM »

DR Jose, seeing your posts reminded me that I got tix to MAMMA MIA when it comes here in July! :)

I love this show, but I've already seen it twice.  Anyhow they added another week and my mom was mentioning to me that my aunt and uncle really really wanted to go (my mom has already seen it and my sis will be too pregnant).  

So I got the tix! Yeah!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »

Sort of on the TOD, I had my meeting a couple of weeks ago with the editor of a major magazine who is writing a biography of a deceased friend of mine--and this friend, although a bit of a celebrity, was certainly not a star on the Frances Farmer level.

Quite an experience, as it set me digging through boxes for any possible memorabilia and trying to remember every word of every conversation we had ever had.  I became overwhelmed with seventies nostalgia.

The biographer came out to the Island of Long, we went out for lunch, and he set his recorder going while we talked.  Surprisingly, he had only spoken with "coworkers"  [that's co-workers, not cow-orkers] up to this point and not with "friends", which means that I was the first person to give him some insight into any personal aspect of the biographee, although we were not the closest of friends, and our friendship spanned only seven years.

I was, I hope, helpful in pointing toward other people who might prove better sources--I myself had tried to no avail to track down one of the biographees closest (yes, intimate) friends, but during the interview I happened to remember that that missing person was quite thick with another in the profession who is readily available, so maybe she can provide some clues.

I expect a big acknowledgement in the eventual book nonetheless.
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2005, 09:24:08 AM »

George I don't see the resemblance. ;D

I believe Helen and Jodie were often compared to each other as children and competed for a number of roles.  At the time it seemed that way to me.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2005, 09:25:43 AM »

WFU, very interesting.  You will tell us when the book is published.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2005, 09:30:35 AM »

SYCOPHANT, Baby, SYCOPHANT!

But aren't we all SYCOPHANTs here?  At least that is what some rude persons on other web sites would have you believe.

Or was that ACOLYTE, Baby, ACOLYTE?

I was an acolyte in Grace Lutheran Church in Tulsa [a slut spelled backwards--oh! a Jason Grae Graae reference!], Oklahoma when I was a wee sprig of a twig of a thing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:46:36 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »

DR WFO....I might even get a SMALL mention in said book as well!

Last night....last night I almost saw LeeLee Sobieski's teles.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:31:20 AM by JRand54 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up