Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT  (Read 13876 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25:01 AM »

Still looking for a picture of Race Gentry's hairy chest....

And this is what Google gives me:

1. Read my article on Lawrence Washington and the Reverend Charles Green in the 1992 issue of the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, which was handed out in class. What does it reveal about the character of Lawrence and of William Fairfax? [Present a brief written response of approximately one page]. For discussion, what does it reveal about Virginia society such as the role of women, religion, race, gentry, etc?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »

Still looking for a picture of Race Gentry's hairy chest....

And this is what Google gives me:

1. Read my article on Lawrence Washington and the Reverend Charles Green in the 1992 issue of the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, which was handed out in class. What does it reveal about the character of Lawrence and of William Fairfax? [Present a brief written response of approximately one page]. For discussion, what does it reveal about Virginia society such as the role of women, religion, race, gentry, etc?

Google gave me this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Race+Gentry%22

When looking for a person, put "quotes" around the name.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »

And the Google Images search leads to one of my favorite sites (that I shared with JR a long time ago), The Meeker Museum.  You should all go there--some really hilarious stuff.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2005, 11:44:23 AM »

Yes, The Meeker Museum has some High Quality photos!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2005, 11:45:01 AM »

Aw fellas, can't you even give a hint as to who this famous pal of yours was who is being biographied?? The curiosity is enough to kill this cat.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2005, 11:49:18 AM »

While reading about Moe of the 3 Stooges on the findadeath site, I found another interesting site.

Seems a teenager in the late 60s began writing letters to Moe, and Moe answered every one in his own handwriting. The kid eventually went to Moe's house and spent the day hanging out. The website shows all of Moe's letters and photos of Moe at home.

http://web2.airmail.net/willdogs/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2005, 11:53:55 AM »

As it always has been....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »

DR RODZINSKI the findadeath site it one of favorites....a bit macabre, but interesting.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2005, 12:10:43 PM »

Last night, my brother did another one of his famous impressions. This time it was his impression of a drunken cowboy doing an impression of Jerry Seinfeld. That is my new favorite impression.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2005, 12:12:39 PM »

That's great about Dear Reader Tom! Recovery vibes! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And successful surgery vibes for Dear Reader Elmore! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2005, 12:13:10 PM »

PAGE 4!

--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »

Aw fellas, can't you even give a hint as to who this famous pal of yours was who is being biographied?? The curiosity is enough to kill this cat.

Since the project is in the planning stages, I don't think the author would appreciate a public announcement at this point, but I will send you a private message, you currious old cat, you.
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »

Me, too, WFO, me too!!!!!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2005, 12:26:48 PM »

I made a rather nice find over the weekend which I finalized today.  There was a completely unadvertised showing of old movie memorabilia by three collectors in downtown Portland that someone emailed me about, so I shlepped the kids down with me and looked it over.  Found a very good condition 1 sheet of "Badlands of Dakota," Frances' Universal western in which she portrays Calamity Jane.  It was priced a little high for my taste, so I got the seller's info and ended up getting the poster for $100 less than he had it listed for.  Picked it up today.  It has minimal paper loss at the center fold (as is usual with these older ones), but other than that is bright and solid.  They don't do movie posters like they used to.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »

I must go see if I have any lovely packages.  I'll shall return momentarily.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »

I forget if i mentioned this, but on Saturday I got some beautiful hanging baskets (impatiens).  They were $8.99/basket (which is very good here).  And I was the first one to go through and make my choices (which I always prefer).  The saran was still wrapped around the pallet.

They are very lovely.

Jed

« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2005, 01:00:23 PM »

So happy to hear that Tomovoz is doing well.  Looking forward to hearing the same about Larry very soon!

Vibes, fellas, vibes!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »

Just saw ABC's fall schedule, and many, many returning shows have been moved around.

BOSTON LEGAL moves to Tuesday at 10.

LOST moves back an hour to Wednesdays at 9.

ALIAS moves to Thursdays at 8 (and will start the season rather than waiting until January as it did this year).

The Sunday line-up stays the same.

Works for me!  The only moved show I personally give a hoot about is BOSTON LEGAL, and I rather like this new timeslot for it.  With THE WEST WING now being moved to Sunday, the ABC 9-11 block will give me a full night of viewing I actually find worth watching... how unusual!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2005, 01:15:47 PM »

I totally agree about a biography of Roger Edens is LONG overdue. But I suspect the best source of information on Roger, Leonard Gershe, never gave up much information, and now he is sadly gone as well.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »

Old TOD:

Since I was mainly errant and truant and also truant and errant all week-end, I thought I might still address an old topic or two:

Science Fiction:  I was what you a call "fan" [plural "fen"], back in the 60s and 70s, to the point of subscribing to Locus and Fantasy & Science Fiction.  In those days, things, I gather, were different.

The term "sci-fi" was anathema to all true fen.  The correct term was SF.  Which could also stand for Speculative Fiction.  Fandom was centered almost entirely around written science fiction.  Many fen had a disdain for the film and television versions--at least until 2001 and Star Trek came along.  Science fiction conventions ("cons") were run by amateurs, not corporations.  They were not advertised on local television.

Nobody ran fandom, except for the rumored SMOF--Secret Masters of Fandom.  When notables disappeared from public gatherings, they were presumed to be off smoffing.

Pre-Internet, the main method of communication among fen was the Fanzine, of which almost everyone published one.  Forry Ackerman's house must be at least 3/4 stuffed to the ceiling with fanzines.

And I attended Cons hither and yon, and Worldcons in Berkeley and St. Louis.

So, if I am to list my favorite science fiction novels and stories, they will all date from that time.

Asimov, The Foundation Series; I Robot [Dr. A must have rolled around in his grave when the abominable Will Smith movie was released]; The End of Eternity; The Stars, Like Dust.  Asimov once told me my fly was open on a ship off the African coast the day before a total solar eclipse.  So much for name-dropping.

Everything by William Tenn, everything by D. G. Compton--a British writer who produced a flurry of novels all at once and then disappeared; James Tiptree, Jr.--who after wild speculation about his real name revealed himself to be a woman; Harlan Ellison (of course); Poul Andersen; Phillip José Farmer.  

Most all of Samuel ("Chip") Delaney.  I once slept in a sleeping bag on the floor of his apartment.  I got the crabs.  Name-dropping always seems to come out like that with me.

And then I must mention William F. Orr, because I did myself publish two short stories in hard-bound anthologies, probably available at your public library.  "The Mouth Is for Eating" appeared in volume 13 of Damon Knight's Orbit series and "Euclid Alone" in volume 16.  The latter was also reprinted in Rudy Rucker's anthology The Mathenauts.  You can also find a pirated version here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 01:21:53 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »

After I finshed watching the rest of the third ANGEL disc and last night's exciting '24,' I settled in to watch THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE. I got about two minutes in, and then the lovelies at Fox began panning and scanning this Cinemascope movie, so I deleted it immediately.

I know the Fox Movie Channel does occasionally show "full frame" versions of their widescreen films. Sadly, I picked one of those broadcasts to record, but I was NOT going to let my first experience with this Cinemascope musical be a pan and scan nightmare. (The image was so grainy and defused of color that even if I didn't care about losing 45% of the picture, it was of unwatchable quality anyway.)

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2005, 01:22:51 PM »

Jennifer, there was a grid at the TV GUIDE online site yesterday that the editors planned to fill in as each new schedule was released. They had NBC's yesterday with all the other networks showing TBA. I'm sure ABC's will be filled in now. I'll go looking for it and post if I find it again.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »

William F. Orr, Harlan will still go into a rage and not speak to someone if they refer to him as a Sci-Fi writer...a term he abhors.  But he does not like being labelled with any genre.  He just considers himself a "writer", period.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »

After reading what I was writing about yesterday's grandladsitting, I realized that I was being petty, whining about little things.

I've decided to not whine about little things.

I'm gonna go BIG!!!

So, here goes:

This country made a big mistake when it decided to outlaw infanticide.

There, I've said it, I've gotten it off my chest, and I feel better now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2005, 01:33:49 PM »

Rodzinski I enjoyed the tribute to Moe, very nice.  Now if I could only remember which of the Stooges was the uncle of my classmate.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2005, 01:35:21 PM »

We went to see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the only film at the cineplex rated PG.  The grandlads were a little impatient with it, but thought the visuals were neat.  I pretty much enjoyed it.  How often does one get to see a SciFi film where all the nasty aliens look like Charles Laughton?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »

William F. Orr, Harlan will still go into a rage and not speak to someone if they refer to him as a Sci-Fi writer...a term he abhors.  But he does not like being labelled with any genre.  He just considers himself a "writer", period.

Well, I can understand that.  Like people who speak of "a great Black American".  Why not just "a great American"?  The same, only different.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr always insisted he was not a science fiction writer, and sf people took that as an insult.  Publishing houses used to treat their science fiction line as a poor relative, of whom they were a bit ashamed.

But pidgeon-holes always seem to restrict.  Perhaps one should say that Harlan is a writer, who has written, among many other things, some terrific science fiction.

Pidgeon holes.  How many people say, "I don't like musicals... " and then add "...except..." followed by a somewhat lengthy list.  "I don't like science fiction, " same thing.  "Genre" classifications are, after all, not a literary term but rather a marketing tool.  The real meaning of genre has to do with form, not content.  Play, poem, short story, novel--those are genres.  Not western, mystery, science fiction.  At least in the original meaning of the word.
--Wayland Flowers

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »

**WRITERS IN HOLLYWOOD**

David Mamet has written a five-page essay about the lot of the Hollywood writer.
It's titled "Bambi v. Godzilla", and will be published in the June issue of Harper's Magazine.

"Writing for Hollywood is a constant trauma," he claims. He goes on to say that Hollywood treats writers as one more below-the-line expense, and not a very important one at that.
Mr.Mamet says that the Hollywood machine would rid itself of the necessity of dealing with and paying for writers if it could.  "The problem for them is, the story is the one thing that producers can't do," he says.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2005, 01:39:53 PM »

If I were to write a biography, it would be about Dorothy Fields.  Fascinating woman, but you'd never know it by the one bio published so far.  And any other books that mention her hardly mention her.  Phooey.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »

Jennifer, here's that link to the schedule grid at TV GUIDE. The WB announced its schedule today as well, and they've got a few shake-ups, too.

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/showguide/grid.asp
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up