Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31918 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2003, 06:22:03 PM »

DR François:  Hey! Dude, man!  What kind of birds can you see where you live?  Anything OTHER than winged rats (pigeons)?????

Does Paris have any aviaries?  What are the common birds of Parigi, Luigi?

While I'm at it, I am a huge fan of "Gigi" and wonder if the building that housed the Palais de Glace still stands.  What is it used for, if it remains?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 06:23:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2003, 06:40:15 PM »

Don't worry Jed, we are right, they are wrong.

Mr. Oz has gotten strangely quiet.  Must be something he ate.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2003, 06:40:20 PM »

DR Jed: Who cares about our vowels (as long as they are regular). Washingtonians are interesting people and that's what is important. (I speak as one with dual citizenship of course).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2003, 06:42:22 PM »

Sorry Ron. Guess I was just too pooped to respond. the pigeons are the only birds who poop on the deck.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2003, 06:42:52 PM »

TCB: A bear has been using my computer.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2003, 06:46:34 PM »

TCB: A bear has been using my computer.

Oh my God!  Be still my heart.
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2003, 06:47:35 PM »

Hey, Ron dude!

I did enjoy your poop deck comments but did not have time to post! No one reacted no more than anyone has noticed a karma inflation lately

Oh well! :-\ We, humans tend to be too "negative" at times!

YES, the Palais des Glaces is still around and now is a theater! Speaking of the ice rink and Gigi, Jacques Bergerac has just published his biography!
Remember; he married Ginger and.... Dorothy Malone!

I haven't seen or read ze book yet!

Loads of birds in Paris! I remember reading an article about a gentleman who's crazy about birds and goes everyday to the Jardins des Tuileries, to see them and feeds them. He knows all of them -- in all the meaning of "know"--  (he's given names to some!) and they all are quite "familiar" with him....
He might be a reincarnation of St Francis of Assisis, who knows?

more later

François

« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2003, 06:51:46 PM »

Tom,

I've seen your picture and you sure don't look like Goldie Hawn, i mean, Goldilocks!

Bear and grin it, my friend!

François

« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2003, 06:55:51 PM »

Tom the bird man!

You don't say!

Walter pooped on your deck while Humphrey used your computer?

Quite a fairy tale!

François

« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2003, 06:57:11 PM »

Loneliness Of The Evening........

WITIE????

François

« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2003, 06:58:37 PM »

Oh, oh!

Who is wlajb, say I?

François

« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2003, 07:00:52 PM »

Apparently... a 953 year old male from West LA!

Michael

« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2003, 07:05:43 PM »

Dear Reader Ben--Good vibes to you and your brother and his family.

Dear Reader Jane--Thank you!  (That makes you and my Mom.)

Dear Reader MDS--Regarding Allergist's Wife:  I thought the first two and half acts were funny, in a sort of Neil Simon-updated sort of way.  Last half of third act not funny and rather weird.  (I saw it with Valerie Harper, Michele Lee and Tony Roberts.).

3 acts??? Did we see the same show. There were only 2 acts in the version I saw.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2003, 07:06:20 PM »

So how do you know of Humphrey Bear François?
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2003, 07:09:58 PM »

A karma point for Francois answer regarding Polanski and Waiting For Godot/
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2003, 07:10:24 PM »

Merry as in berry
Mary was in wary
Marry as in carry.

Of course, if you pronounce all the second words the same way, we're back to square one.

Ahhhh!!!!!!  I DO pronounce them all the same!  :D  These last two days discussions have made me decide that the Northwestern US accent has to be the most boring of all.

Jed, I've always pronounced all of those vowels in the same way, as well.  And I wouldn't say that our PNW accent is "boring," I would say "consistent."

Years ago, I did notice that on the cast album of Company the first syllables of “Larry” and “Harry” were pronounced with the same vowel sound as in "bad."  I thought that it was just because it was a stage play and the actors had to enunciate.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

François

« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2003, 07:11:19 PM »

Oh, I don't know, Tom! I guess i'm just smart! ;D

Well, I mainly was thinking of Disney's Humphrey Bear shorts -- NOT bermudas! -- so i don't come out that smart after all! :-[

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2003, 07:13:24 PM »

DR François:  I do believe the depth of your comment about wlajb may have flown way over many heads...certainly high enough for us to duck for cover less we be pooped on.

But surely a production of JB wouldn't find its way to west LA????  They don't deal with age there.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 07:13:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2003, 07:14:24 PM »

Hello everyone!

Just woke up from a nap after having gone out with some friends who treated me to a makeover as an early birthday present (VERY early present...my birthday isn't until the end of December).  Anyway, we went to a place called Salon Privé to get my hair done, and I now sport a shorter, more layered 'do.  Then we went to the Clinique stand at Macy's and we all had our make-up done; my friend ended up buying me some lip gloss and eye shadow.  It was so nice of my friends to do this for me, especially when one considers how low-maintenance I am about hair and make-up.  But a little change to boost one's self-confidence is always nice, don't you agree?

Ben--good vibes to you and your brother!  I hope he stays safe and out of harm's way! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MDS--I did see Tale of the Allergist's Wife.  I saw it free soon after I moved to NYC two years ago for school--there was a karaoke thing going on near Times Square to promote that year's Broadway on Broadway, and I ended up singing Second Hand Rose (not very well either) in exchange for free theatre tickets!  I enjoyed the show quite a bit, and thought it was very funny even if the characters were less than three dimensional.  It made me interested in seeing more of Charles Busch's work, so I may have to get around to seeing Die, Mommy, Die as well as the film they did of Psycho Beach Party a few years back.  

Well, I'm off to watch A Mighty Wind with my parents....I think they have begun to forget what I look like.  ;)

François

« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2003, 07:14:52 PM »

DR MDS,

THANKS for the karma!

One thing I could not clarify: it seems that that production of Waiting, with Polanski and the French actors was in the States! The same director, same year, produced another version for TV, with American actors of course...

Ain't that just too too?

François

« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2003, 07:26:20 PM »

Oh, DR MDS!

Here's the whole story.... which is not for the birds!

Beckett Directs Beckett

Waiting for Godot

Produced by Mitchell Lifton and Jean-Pierre Cottet
Directed by Walter D. Asmus

English
Estragon: Lawrence Held
Vladimir: Bud Thorpe
Lucky: Alan Mandell
Pozzo: Rick Cluchey
The Boy: Louis Beckett Cluchey

French
Estragon: Jean-Francois Blamer
Vladimir: Rufus
Lucky: Roman Polanski
Pozzo: Jean-Pierre Jorris
L'enfant: Philippe Deschamps

Krapp's Last Tape

Produced by Mitchell Lifton
and Jean-Pierre Cottet
Directed by Walter D. Asmus

English
Krapp: Rick Cluchey

French
Krapp: Roland Bertin

Comments
In 1985, Beckett directed the San Quentin Players in three of his major works: Waiting for Godot, Krapp's Last Tape, and Endgame. Grouped under the title "Beckett Directs Beckett," the plays toured Europe and Asia to great acclaim. In Paris, they were later adapted for television by directors Walter Asmus and Alan Mandell, working with the assistance of Beckett himself. Originally airing on PBS, two versions of each play were produced, in English and French.
Recently, Mitchell Lifton -- a film professor at the University of Maryland -- has embraked on a project to bring these versions of Waiting for Godot and Krapp's Last Tape to DVD, complete with "digital annotations." Apmonia will use this space to keep visitors posted on Dr. Lifton's progress, reviewing the DVD when it finally comes out. Lifton also maintains a useful homepage on the project:

Beckett Directs Beckett -- The project's homepage contains details on the productions, stills, and video excerpts.

--Allen B. Ruch
4 March 2003

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Apmonia -- Send email to Tim Conley and the Great Quail -- comments, suggestions, corrections, criticisms, submissions . . . all are welcome!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jed

« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2003, 07:34:07 PM »

Years ago, I did notice that on the cast album of Company the first syllables of “Larry” and “Harry” were pronounced with the same vowel sound as in "bad."  I thought that it was just because it was a stage play and the actors had to enunciate.

Ah yes, quite right you are.  I had never really given a second thought to the "Harry" on the Company recording, thinking it was just a Barbara Barrie thing, but now I know it's oh so much more.  I just find it all quite interesting.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2003, 07:34:37 PM »

Well, this is a new record, over two hundred posts on a Saturday, and the evening is still young, which is more than I can say.  You are keeping my spirits up, which otherwise would be drowning in a sea of phelgm and yucky sinus expulsions.

td

• td
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2003, 07:36:09 PM »

Our mighty Richard Valley is having problems accessing the new and improved HHW2 and has asked me to post the following:

Some News From Scarlet Street

Joe Franklin is supposed to play another cut from JEEPERS CREEPERS: GREAT SONGS FROM HORROR FILMS tonight at around 1:30AM on WOR AM.

By the way, anyone in the Burbank area who'd like to get a copy of the CD, Creature Features is the place to go. It's a great store, located at 1802 West Olive Ave, Burbank, CA. The phone number is 818-842-9383. Tell 'em Scarlet Street sent you. Of course, you can still buy JEEPERS CREEPERS right online at
http://www.mycottage.com/SCARLET/CDjeepers.htm

Our latest issue--Scarlet Street #49--is now available and you'll find in it an exclusive interview with Mr. Bruce Kimmel, plus photos of Brent (World's Handsomest Man) Barrett, Judy Kaye, Alison Fraser, Guy Haines, Katherine Helmond, Susan Gordon, Zacherley, and The Scarlettes. If you were a Scarlette and have never had your photo in an international publication, you'll want to grab this issue. If you weren't a Scarlette, you'll still want to grab it. It's available at http://www.mycottage.com/SCARLET/backissue/issue49.htm
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2003, 07:42:43 PM »

BTW, we were having an interesting discussion last night (Richard Valley and I), which some of the DRs might be able to shed some light onto. . .

Stephen Sondheim's FOLLIES: THE MOVIE.
Was it ever even sold to a studio, or was that all talk?
What is the truth behind the rumors of re-setting FOLLIES in a motion picture studio and using the likes of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford?
I've been involved in online discussions of the make believe M-G-M roster of stars appearing in FOLLIES: THE MOVIE, but, I don't recall reading ANYWHERE that Goldman et al had actually sold the film rights to a studio. . .

BK  ???  ???  ???
MDS  ???  ???  ???
Anybodys  ???  ???  ???

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2003, 07:47:56 PM »

td  To the best of my knowledge, the whole film studio idea was just talk.  I was under the imprression that it was Sondheim who refused to have the film rights sold.
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2003, 07:53:06 PM »

It's almost 11pm here and I'm about to turn in. Worked on my presentation and now it's time to go to bed. Just wanted to make one last post to thank all who sent me karma and good vibes. Much appreciated. See you in chat tomorrow.

Ben

« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2003, 07:53:54 PM »

Oh, hell. Two more to make it 190, then only 60 more. I won't do it all tomorrow but sometime next week, maybe I'll be Senior.

td

• td
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2003, 07:54:19 PM »

td  To the best of my knowledge, the whole film studio idea was just talk.  I was under the imprression that it was Sondheim who refused to have the film rights sold.

Oh, you cute TCB, you!
That was what I said last night, except that I thought that Goldman had all the control. . .remember the widow Goldman and the Paper Mill production. . .

Ben

« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2003, 07:55:31 PM »

That was number 207 and when JRand gets back, I'm sure he will push us up to even higher points before the new notes are posted. Unless I stay up to around 3am NY time, I don't think I'll ever be a first poster again. Or a last poster for that matter. I can live with that. Nite all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up