Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31896 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2003, 09:43:50 AM »

That was Jennifer's question.  My two questions: For those who used the click smilies site that dear reader Joy sent us, too - are you able to access it or are you getting a "forbidden" page, like me?

And is the Edit Profile feature working or not.  My memory is that Mr. Mark Bakalor said it had been fixed when someone first mentioned it two days ago.  If I'm wrong, let me know immediately so I can bring it to his attention.

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2003, 09:44:51 AM »

von Sternberg: The sublime Blonde Venus, which includes one of the greatest musical numbers ever put on film: Hot Voodoo.  I also love his two Shanghai movies - Shanghai Express and the supremely strange The Shanghai Gesture.  There is a Criterion DVD of The Scarlet Empress which is very good - again, totally unique.

Well, I'm going to have to take your word for it, BK.  I had heard from certain Scarlet Streeters that this particular dvd was not up to the usual Criterion standards. . .I have my videotape which I still watch, but, if the Crtierion disc is "very good," I shall have to say goodbye my video. 8)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2003, 09:44:53 AM »

Bruce, if you were going to http://www.clicksmilies.com/ then it worked fine for me.

Pretty cool, huh?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2003, 09:46:14 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2003, 09:46:21 AM »

Still errors when you go to the Edit Profile Page.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2003, 09:46:40 AM »

Obviously, that worked for me, too.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2003, 09:48:34 AM »

An Error Has Occurred!

2: opendir(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 3805 is not allowed to access /home/haineshisway owned by uid 0
(/home/haineshisway/community/Sources/Profile.php ln 364)

Bruce, I got this error message when I tried to edit my profile.  I don't think it's working.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2003, 09:48:40 AM »

2: opendir(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 3805 is not allowed to access /home/haineshisway owned by uid 0
(/home/haineshisway/community/Sources/Profile.php ln 364)

that's what I get when I try to edit/modify my profile. . .

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2003, 09:52:43 AM »

Site worked for me from my original bookmark.

DR Maya - Sorry, I have written my LAST term paper until my next reincarnation!   ;D

Ben

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2003, 09:54:25 AM »

Viewing a profile has been fixed but editing a profile doesn't work yet. Someone posted it on the tech board today but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it again. Not that I need to edit my profile but that error message does pop up as of 12:49pm EST on Saturday, November 8, 2003 (am I compulsive enough?)

My pants are now ironed and the laundry is put away. I'm wearing a long sleeve thermal undershirt and dark blue sweatpants with pockets. I am not wearing slippers or shoes at this moment since I'm indoors but when I go downstairs to check the mail (I wish we had little buttons or dings or something to alert when the mail arrives, then I wouldn't have to walk down three flights and up three flights - whine) I will put on my slippers. There are pigeons (aka flying rats) nesting on my windowsill right now and I will whine at them until they go away. Oh, I enjoyed the Whiners on Saturday Night Live. They were funny!

Back to my office work which I brought home for the weekend. Then a break to watch VHI I Love the 80s Strikes Back. I enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2003, 10:14:37 AM »

Re:  Bruce's filmmaker choices (we writers reject the word "auteur" when it applies to directors.  Where were they when we were sitting in a room, staring at a blank page, conjuring something out of nothing?  No film is the work of one man...but don't get me started...):

Chaplin:  I must admit he is a serious gap in my otherwise sterling film education.  I've seen lots of his shorts, some of his features, but not nearly enough to pick one.  I can tell you my favourite Chaplin moment however.  A photo of a woman and a Dear John letter sit on a table.  Chaplin stands next to them, back to us, his body wracked with heaving, weeping convulsions.  Then he turns around...he's not weeping at all.  He's joyously shaking a martini pitcher, his body convulsed in celebratory laughter.

Keaton: THE GENERAL.   Again, in the arena of silents, I have more knowledge than actual experience.

Von Sternberg:  This is easy.  THE SCARLET EMPRESS.  The most giddily surreal film ever made.  Wonderfully bizarre piece of film-making.  In glorious black and white!

Polanski: CHINATOWN

Hitchcock: NOTORIOUS....I'm also fond of REBECCA, but that owes as much to Selznick as Hitchcock, to say nothing of Ms. DuMaurier.

Capra:  The obvious choice, of course, would be IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  But because of its overkill showings during it's public domain years, I haven't watched it for awhile.  And I am rather fond of the charms of MR.  DEEDS GOES TO TOWN & MEET JOHN DOE, with Gary Cooper...perhaps the best film actor ever.  ARSENIC & OLD LACE is one of the few times knock-down farce works brilliantly on film.  And IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT still goes down real easy.

STURGES:  The easy answer is everything.  But if I had to pick, it would probably be CHRISTMAS IN JULY and PALM BEACH STORY with one of my favourite actresses of all time, Mary Astor ("I grow on people...like moss.")

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2003, 10:33:13 AM »

I'm off to get a haircut.  May take in a movie following.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2003, 10:36:53 AM »

Jay, don't just get a hair cut.  Get them all cut.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2003, 10:50:56 AM »

Frank Capra:  Only once choice for me:  Lost Horizon!

Ben

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2003, 10:57:45 AM »

Hey, HKs, a little of that famous HK vibe sending would be appropriate right now. I just got off the phone with my brother. He's in the army reserves (has been for about 17 years) and he just found out he's being shipped out to Iraq. He leaves on December 1st for some training in the U.S. and after that it's off to the Middle East. Oy (and I'm not even Jewish). What a time for this to happen. His father-in-law just died three weeks ago and now he's off to Iraq just before Christmas. The kids (two of them) are not quite sure how to react. Not much more to say right now, just send those good vibes if you have any to spare. Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2003, 10:57:52 AM »

Aren't these lists fascinating?  I am at work, viewing the last of three tapes and should be out of here no later than noon or noon-thirty.  A good thing as I feel pretty rotten.  Your posts, as always, cheer me up.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2003, 11:15:29 AM »

Bruce-

If you feel rotten, perhaps it's because you need to get fresh!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2003, 11:20:26 AM »

George-the happy face went straight from the computer to my face.

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2003, 11:22:01 AM »

I certainly don't want to whine, but once again the Board logged me off for having the temerity not to post every day.  Then logging back in became an effort (though, I must admit, not the three-day travail it was last time).

This is to be expected because we moved to a different server and the cookie is server independent. You shouldn't have to login again now that your cookie has been saved for this server.

Emily

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2003, 11:29:37 AM »

Good morning everyone!

Hold on *checks clock*

Good afternoon everyone!  I slept very late today and then went out for a nice long breakfast (scrambled eggs with smoked salmon... yum) with the family.  Free breakfast paid by mom!  Yippee! :D

Jennifer: when I let the cat in last night there was snow and it was sticking and not instantaneously melting.  When I woke up this morning it was gone.  Maybe the snow realized that it is far too early for it to have turned up and disappeared.  :)

Mark: my profile still isn't working.  I have a very nice seasonal pic I want to put up and feel very sad that I can't :(

I am *almost* finished paper #1 that will be due this week.  Later on, I'll post it as an attachment so that any kind Hainsies or Kimlets with an interest in Canadian Provincial Politics can edit it for me.  Volunteer now, I don't want you all fighting over that opportunity :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2003, 11:35:23 AM »

Ben, definitely “good vibes”.  How old are his children?  It will be so hard on all of you.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2003, 11:45:28 AM »

My nephew is 9 and my niece is 7.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2003, 11:52:38 AM »

DR Ben wrote:
Jennifer, in NYC we have Street Fairs in the summer ... You rarely find anything of interest at these things. It's the same bad ethnic food, cheap socks, cheap bedding (sheets, pillows, comforters, etc.) loud house mix CDs, etc., etc., etc., (a King and I reference). They have lost their allure for me. They rarely have any kind of "craft" booth or much art other than kitschy things.

I have been to a few of those in NYC.  And while I do like them. You are right, most of them don't have the types of crafts I was referring to.  But I have seen some crafty type things there.

Btw, the "new" button did work this time! Yay.

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2003, 11:54:55 AM »

Well I must separate my posts in order to have more of them. But I cannot make this too long, as I am preparing poutine. Yummy!

Today is the coldest day ever. I just came in and it is freezing. I don't know the exact temp. But I guess it is somewhere around 30ish. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2003, 11:57:20 AM »

One more before I go.  I did go to the craft fairs this morning. I was not planning on going to the better one today. But my aunt called and asked me to meet her. And the best part was 1) my favorite fudge lady was there. And 2) my uncle bought me fudge and earrings for housesitting for them (well the whole thing only cost like $15, but it was still nice).

Jane

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2003, 12:04:37 PM »

My karma went up a notch.  Shall I do some kind of celebration dance or wait until I finally become a jr. member?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2003, 12:07:50 PM »

Oh my way to dinner and then An Evening With Dame Edna: The Show that Cares!

Hopefully I will NOT be chosen to participate!

Jane

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2003, 12:09:51 PM »

I forgot, Jay, I enjoy your dry sense of humor.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2003, 12:11:01 PM »

Good vibes to Ben and his brother & family!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 12:12:15 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2003, 12:15:49 PM »

Ben, I hope your brother returns before your nephew turns ten, a very difficult year for most boys.  I hope your sister-in law and the children have a lot of support around them.  I remember how difficult it was when Keith traveled extensively.  I’m sure that was nothing compared to what they will have to deal with.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up