Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31819 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2003, 12:21:02 PM »

Done.  On my way home to relax and hopefully feel better.  Will post shortly.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2003, 12:28:53 PM »

You already posted shortly. Next time, post LOOOOONNNNGGGGLLLLLYYYY

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2003, 12:45:45 PM »

Hitchcock: "Spellbound", Chaplin: "Limelite", Capra: "Arsenic & Old Lace", Polanski: "The Tennant".
And now to go back and read the posts.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2003, 12:47:04 PM »

When JRand53 returns to the forum this evening, he will require much sympathy and understaning from us, because if I know Dame Edna, she will have had his face contorted with hysterical laughter for nearly two hours.

JRand will be a pathetic figure....he will look as if he has been injected many times with Botox.  He will be unable to smile or frown or make any sort of facial moue of any kind for at least 24 hours.

And if he is as unfortunate as I was last spring, his facial muscles will feel the results of all this hysterical laughing well into next week.  

Oh, yes!  There is a price to pay when one wrangles with Dame Edna!

:D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2003, 12:55:45 PM »

Echo and I are off to do visit our local nursing home.  Unfortunately we have not been able to visit too often these last few months.  It will be a difficult visit for me as one of my friends, a direct descendant of Johnny Appleseed,
passed away since my last visit.  The first time we met him, almost five years ago, he had an oatmeal cookie resting on a shelf on his motorized wheelchair.  Echo tried to eat it.  We would always laugh at Echo, after all these years, still looking there for treats though he made sure to move them before her arrival.

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2003, 01:05:25 PM »

Good vibes Ben to your brother and the whole family at this time.
I hope DR Jrand is not late to the performance. Dame Edna will of course give the correct pronunciation of all words. It is interesting to compare her "regional accent "authentic Moonee Ponds" to that of her close friend Barry who is very much from the leafy suburb of Camberwell - a world away (less than 10 miles) from the Dame's part of town.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2003, 01:21:38 PM »

Thank you, Jrand for the Oliver referrence!  Speaking of which, I am off to rehearsal very shortly to once again teach my little charges how to pick a pocket or two. (Oh a …. Never mind we knew that)

Question of the Day

Polanski:  I am not a great Polanski fan, but I guess I would choose The Pianist
Chaplin:   City Lights
Keaton:  Sherlock Jr.
Sturges:  The Miracle of Mogan’s Creek
Von Sternberg:  Shanghai Express  I almost said China Express until I remembered that is the name of the place in Safeway that sells the nasty Chinese food.
Capra:  Meet John Doe  I know it is preachy, but I could watch it again and again.
Hitchcock  There are so many incredible Hitchcock films to choose from so this one is tough.  However, I think I will have to go with Saboteur with Bob Cummings, not to be confused with Sabotage.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2003, 01:27:00 PM »

I'm finally home - went and did a big grocery shopping at Gelson's - haven't been shopping in three weeks.

Now, I shall relax - let's keep the posting going strong, because it's such a source of excellent entertainment for me.

And smilies are now fine.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2003, 01:31:58 PM »

DR Tom from OZ:  It's quite interesting to note that dear Barry Humphries is the voice of the menacing shark in "Finding Nemo"!!!!

Chew on that, possums!

And no whining!  We will have no whines before their time! Hmmm....is that an Orson Welles reference???)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 01:33:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2003, 01:45:38 PM »

DR Ron: Indeed it sounded very much like Sir Les Pattterson to me. (I am not sure that Humphries has been game enough to introduce the gross Mr Patterson to USA audiences - He is now cultural attaché to Baghdad).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2003, 01:46:48 PM »

TCB: Enjoy your rehearsal but "Be Back Soon".
James Thurber 1957

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2003, 01:56:07 PM »

I hope TCB reviewed his situation before leaving..

Jed

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2003, 02:00:19 PM »

Happy Saturday, one and all, all and one!  So far I'm doing a wonderful Saturday job of lounging about like so much fish.

On to the topic d'jour...
Chaplin - City Lights
von Sternberg - The Blue Angel (only one I've seen)
Hitchcock - Strangers on a Train, with Rear Window right up there with it
Polanski - The Pianist (never really been a big fan of Chinatown)
Capra - Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Haven't seen any directed by Keaton or Sturges.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:01:51 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2003, 02:07:28 PM »

DR Craig. I ho hope so -  if he wants to consider himself one of us. I am still practising my vowel sounds Jed. As long as I don't end up like a New Zealander with my vowel sounds completely reverses.
"Fish and Chips" becomes  "Fesh and Cheps" and the number six becomes "Sex"!
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2003, 02:12:12 PM »

Let me WHINE, please!

Why is it that some pages are   W  I  D  E  R  than the regular screen of the computer?

It's so darn annoying!

Don't i whine beautifully!

Now, i'm checking the info re Polanski to answer Michael from Florida.... and we'll let you know my answers to the question du jour, -- I know you're ALL dying for that! --  aware that i can only choose from the films I'VE SEEN, since, unfortunatelly, i have'nt seen them all... Things to do when i retire.....;

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2003, 02:13:36 PM »

Some Australians (Queenslanders) pronounce Bison and Basin with much the same sound! I avoid the confusion and talk about Buffalo.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2003, 02:14:07 PM »

I'd rather have SEX than FESH

BUT usually get FESH instead of SEX!!!

What ES THES? FESH?

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2003, 02:15:42 PM »

I think that Whining is much more acceptable now that you are a full member François.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2003, 02:28:24 PM »

Bison Street Blues??

François

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2003, 02:32:42 PM »

Oh, but full member or not, Whining is the sujet du jour, isn't it?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2003, 02:33:58 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]No matter what your status is, whining can get you bitch-slapped.[/move]

I received four new (to me) DVDs in today's mail: "Tootsie", "Lost Horizon" (Capra), "Notorious" and "Spellbound."  Isn't that amazing.  All four titles have been mentioned on this here forum just today!

I bought the two Criterion titles (Notorious and Spellbound) because a reliable source announced that Criterion will be discontinuing these titles, along with "Rebecca" and "Straw Dogs."  "Lost Horizon" I found new and drastically discounted.  The two Hitchcocks were bought "used" but they both had shrinkwrap on them.  Only "Tootsie" came from the Amazon.com warehouse.

The day here is gray and dreary, but thus far, we've had minmal rainfall.  We're supposed to be seeing buckets of rain.  Perhaps the storm changed its path.  

Perhaps it's stalled.  Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps....(is that a "DoDo" Day reference?).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:36:27 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2003, 02:40:10 PM »

Re: DR TCB -- I'm sure everything will work out fine, just so long as he doesn't get "Oom-Pah-Pahed" by disgruntled street urchins and bar maids.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:40:59 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2003, 02:44:21 PM »

Sounds all "Strictly Ballroom " to me Ron. Perhaps?
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »

DR Ron: Indeed it sounded very much like Sir Les Pattterson to me. (I am not sure that Humphries has been game enough to introduce the gross Mr Patterson to USA audiences - He is now cultural attaché to Baghdad).

Les Patterson and Eric Bana provide the voices for  the other sea creatures in FINDING NEMO.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:48:43 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2003, 02:47:46 PM »

More specifically, yes.  "Strictly Ballroom" is the source at which I heard the song last.  ;D

But isn't Doris Day the vocalist?  Or no?

td:  Thanks for that.  Eric Bana is, of course, "The Hulk."  But until DR TFO brought up Les Patterson as a BH/DE entity, I'd have never known.

FASCINATING!  (...and imagine hearing this in the voice of Dame Edna, "Spoo-ky").
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:51:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2003, 02:52:46 PM »

Isn't Les the Australian David Letterman? ? ?
There's a clip of him on the audio/visual commentary of NEMO.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2003, 02:55:24 PM »

Les Patterson is Barry Humphries! (or is it the other way around?)
Indeed it was Strictly Doris. I was just trying to give your statement an OZ connection.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2003, 02:56:54 PM »

So, can someone clear up this mystery for me?

What are the different pronunciations for fairy, ferry, Mary, merry, and marry???  Around these parts we use the open-mid front unrounded vowel for all of them (Who am I, Henry Higgins all of a sudden?).  If I could figure out how to type a fershluganah epsilon in here, I'd show it in IPA!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2003, 02:57:37 PM »

That's Barry Humphries as Bruce in the center, flanked by Bruce Spence and Erik Bana.
Spence - Chum - has the pierced nosed, Bana, Anchor the hammerhead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 02:58:22 PM by td »

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2003, 02:58:29 PM »

Dame Edna can not stand being on the stage with Sir Les Patterson. She loathes him. He has such class! If Australians suffer cultural cringe with Dame Edna it is far far far worse when Sir Les appears on stage.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up